SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
HRK, I know what these services are. They are protected by Sec 230 and are to act like the phone company and allow exchange of ideas, speech, and expression. Instead they are acting as arbiters, allowing only ideas they agree with through, and blocking those that they don't agree with. This flies in the face of sec 230 and needs to stop. Twitter et al should not have the ability to limit the ideas I can see based on their views. Sec 230 needs to be reformed or these players need to act as an open platform for all.

No disagreement with that idea, to go further, big tech needs to be broken up, they have so much wealth they are running the country by proxy. Apple, MSFT, Google, Yahoo, Twitter Tesla, all need to be broken up.

Nonetheless, the post you made seemed to infer that getting the information from Twitter FB that the problem was the delivery source, not the information. The method of delivery is good, without it we wouldn't have Trumps comments, and many others because the press would simply censor them... and you'd never hear they were censored, as in the case of DJT Jr. or James Woods...

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Twitter, FB, are nothing more than electronic conduits designed to allow people to disseminate information, quickly, effectively, to billions of people, at a reduced cost.

Twitter isn't sending out messages, people are sending messages out on Twitter, doctors, governments, entertainment people, everyday people.

The information one chooses to trust depends on from whom they are getting the information, not the delivery method.

Except that information is getting censored or blocked by what you call "electronic conduits".
They are more than mere "conduits" when they decide what information can and cannot be transmitted or viewed.

100% correct chellim1. Large public platforms should not be removing or filtering info since they have no liability. They really like having it both ways.

Posts: 7556 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
100% correct chellim1. Large public platforms should not be removing or filtering info since they have no liability. They really like having it both ways.
Publisher vs platform, as has been noted MANY times, all these online outlets are playing both sides of the fence, and it's getting old. They can't be sued for content(like a platform), yet they edit/censor their content(like a publisher).

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6214 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Sorry erj and HRK, I made a quick jab at them without clarifying it for people who aren't paying attention to the political censorship going on currently. I probably should have been clearer even for those tuned into it. Perfect timing, this video just dropped covering both the weaponization of media and is specific to this particular event.

There's an information war going on, we are currently losing.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/bxXE0Txdzzo

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMDave
posted Hide Post
Have to admit... having just joined the forum in early June, it took me a while to catch up on this thread. Thought I would lay out my 2-cents (worth about 1/2 that). Earlier this year I returned home from a business trip feeling like shit. Being the type of guy that only goes to the Dr. when I think I am about to “check out” I toughed it out for a week. Ended up in Urgent Care on a Sunday (out of breath just walking from living room to kitchen, cough that would not stop, and fever that would not go away). This happened when everyone was freaking out but no testing yet. My oxygen was low but okay so they gave me meds for cough, and mucus busters. 2 weeks latter, I finally started improving (meds had zero effect).

I am 90% sure I had it... 90% because no way in hell will they ever test me for it. Now, I am 58, decent health, and fit enough to walk a couple miles to find deer/elk scat. Whatever I had knocked me on my ass and I absolutely believe my mom or dad, for example would almost certainly not had as good an outcome. So for me... when I am going anywhere that will put me in contact with our elder population, I will wear a mask and soak up more sanitizer as an abundance of caution in case I could possibly be a carrier. I think that is just common courtesy to protect our elders as they have done a great deal for us and never asked anything in return.

For everyone else, I say getting it at this point is all but a certainty (eventually). If your scared of me not wearing a mask, you should be in a bubble somewhere avoiding all contact with the outside world... Maybe that’s where you belong. My son-in-law just flew in from Texas to visit his folks and me (yeah we get along). We had a great visit with no masks and all is well. My neighbor just returned from Florida on a week long trip with his girlfriend. We went to the range this past weekend together, masked to enter and exit range but mask free in side by side lanes making fun of each other’s accuracy Razz. All is well with him and me.

To be perfectly clear... my 2-cents... you bet your ass it’s real... it can knock you on your ass... best case, a vaccine will be out a year from now... let it take its course, and we will achieve “herd immunity” by year’s end. For those still hanging on to the bullshit being spouted by media, think for just a moment, if you were a lefty looking to make our President look bad in an election year, what better way than to shit on our economy and blame him? Will they push for another shut down? You bet your ass they will try. We can not let that happen!

Done.

Dave

Posts: 469 | Location: Pearland TEXAS | Registered: June 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Sorry erj and HRK, I made a quick jab at them without clarifying it for people who aren't paying attention to the political censorship going on currently. I probably should have been clearer even for those tuned into it. Perfect timing, this video just dropped covering both the weaponization of media and is specific to this particular event.

There's an information war going on, we are currently losing.

I wouldn't say losing. We are up against some major opposition though and something has to be done. It's amazing that it was taken down that quickly across all three platforms.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good video posted by Skins2881 ^^^.

It references this Newsweek article:

The Key to Defeating COVID-19 Already Exists. We Need to Start Using It | Opinion

As professor of epidemiology at Yale School of Public Health, I have authored over 300 peer-reviewed publications and currently hold senior positions on the editorial boards of several leading journals. I am usually accustomed to advocating for positions within the mainstream of medicine, so have been flummoxed to find that, in the midst of a crisis, I am fighting for a treatment that the data fully support but which, for reasons having nothing to do with a correct understanding of the science, has been pushed to the sidelines. As a result, tens of thousands of patients with COVID-19 are dying unnecessarily. Fortunately, the situation can be reversed easily and quickly.

I am referring, of course, to the medication hydroxychloroquine. When this inexpensive oral medication is given very early in the course of illness, before the virus has had time to multiply beyond control, it has shown to be highly effective, especially when given in combination with the antibiotics azithromycin or doxycycline and the nutritional supplement zinc.

On May 27, I published an article in the American Journal of Epidemiology (AJE) entitled, "Early Outpatient Treatment of Symptomatic, High-Risk COVID-19 Patients that Should be Ramped-Up Immediately as Key to the Pandemic Crisis." That article, published in the world's leading epidemiology journal, analyzed five studies, demonstrating clear-cut and significant benefits to treated patients, plus other very large studies that showed the medication safety.

Physicians who have been using these medications in the face of widespread skepticism have been truly heroic. They have done what the science shows is best for their patients, often at great personal risk. I myself know of two doctors who have saved the lives of hundreds of patients with these medications, but are now fighting state medical boards to save their licenses and reputations. The cases against them are completely without scientific merit.

Since publication of my May 27 article, seven more studies have demonstrated similar benefit. In a lengthy follow-up letter, also published by AJE, I discuss these seven studies and renew my call for the immediate early use of hydroxychloroquine in high-risk patients. These seven studies include: an additional 400 high-risk patients treated by Dr. Vladimir Zelenko, with zero deaths; four studies totaling almost 500 high-risk patients treated in nursing homes and clinics across the U.S., with no deaths; a controlled trial of more than 700 high-risk patients in Brazil, with significantly reduced risk of hospitalization and two deaths among 334 patients treated with hydroxychloroquine; and another study of 398 matched patients in France, also with significantly reduced hospitalization risk. Since my letter was published, even more doctors have reported to me their completely successful use.

My original article in the AJE is available free online, and I encourage readers—especially physicians, nurses, physician assistants and associates, and respiratory therapists—to search the title and read it. My follow-up letter is linked there to the original paper.

Beyond these studies of individual patients, we have seen what happens in large populations when these drugs are used. These have been "natural experiments." In the northern Brazil state of Pará, COVID-19 deaths were increasing exponentially. On April 6, the public hospital network purchased 75,000 doses of azithromycin and 90,000 doses of hydroxychloroquine. Over the next few weeks, authorities began distributing these medications to infected individuals. Even though new cases continued to occur, on May 22 the death rate started to plummet and is now about one-eighth what it was at the peak.

A reverse natural experiment happened in Switzerland. On May 27, the Swiss national government banned outpatient use of hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19. Around June 10, COVID-19 deaths increased four-fold and remained elevated. On June 11, the Swiss government revoked the ban, and on June 23 the death rate reverted to what it had been beforehand. People who die from COVID-19 live about three to five weeks from the start of symptoms, which makes the evidence of a causal relation in these experiments strong. Both episodes suggest that a combination of hydroxychloroquine and its companion medications reduces mortality and should be immediately adopted as the new standard of care in high-risk patients.

Why has hydroxychloroquine been disregarded?

First, as all know, the medication has become highly politicized. For many, it is viewed as a marker of political identity, on both sides of the political spectrum. Nobody needs me to remind them that this is not how medicine should proceed. We must judge this medication strictly on the science. When doctors graduate from medical school, they formally promise to make the health and life of the patient their first consideration, without biases of race, religion, nationality, social standing—or political affiliation. Lives must come first.

Second, the drug has not been used properly in many studies. Hydroxychloroquine has shown major success when used early in high-risk people but, as one would expect for an antiviral, much less success when used late in the disease course. Even so, it has demonstrated significant benefit in large hospital studies in Michigan and New York City when started within the first 24 to 48 hours after admission.

In fact, as inexpensive, oral and widely available medications, and a nutritional supplement, the combination of hydroxychloroquine, azithromycin or doxycycline, and zinc are well-suited for early treatment in the outpatient setting. The combination should be prescribed in high-risk patients immediately upon clinical suspicion of COVID-19 disease, without waiting for results of testing. Delays in waiting before starting the medications can reduce their efficacy.

Third, concerns have been raised by the FDA and others about risks of cardiac arrhythmia, especially when hydroxychloroquine is given in combination with azithromycin. The FDA based its comments on data in its FDA Adverse Event Reporting System. This reporting system captured up to a thousand cases of arrhythmias attributed to hydroxychloroquine use. In fact, the number is likely higher than that, since the reporting system, which requires physicians or patients to initiate contact with the FDA, appreciably undercounts drug side effects.

But what the FDA did not announce is that these adverse events were generated from tens of millions of patient uses of hydroxychloroquine for long periods of time, often for the chronic treatment of lupus or rheumatoid arthritis. Even if the true rates of arrhythmia are ten-fold higher than those reported, the harms would be minuscule compared to the mortality occurring right now in inadequately treated high-risk COVID-19 patients. This fact is proven by an Oxford University study of more than 320,000 older patients taking both hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin, who had arrhythmia excess death rates of less than 9/100,000 users, as I discuss in my May 27 paper cited above. A new paper in the American Journal of Medicine by established cardiologists around the world fully agrees with this.

In the future, I believe this misbegotten episode regarding hydroxychloroquine will be studied by sociologists of medicine as a classic example of how extra-scientific factors overrode clear-cut medical evidence. But for now, reality demands a clear, scientific eye on the evidence and where it points. For the sake of high-risk patients, for the sake of our parents and grandparents, for the sake of the unemployed, for our economy and for our polity, especially those disproportionally affected, we must start treating immediately.

LINK

Posts: 2267 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: February 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
LOL get this...

Newsweek 7/23/20
The Key to Defeating COVID-19 Already Exists. We Need to Start Using It | Opinion
https://www.newsweek.com/key-d...g-it-opinion-1519535

Newsweek 7/28/20
Trump Shares Conspiracy Theory About Hydroxychloroquine and 2020 Election
https://www.newsweek.com/donal...ine-election-1520878

Those doctors were referencing what the doctor said in a story they ran, but now it is conspiracy theory. You can't make this crap up.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow. Now it looks like Squarespace removed America's Frontline Doctor's website:

BREAKING: Twitter, Google, YouTube, Facebook REMOVE Videos on COVID-19 “White Coat Summit” — Now Squarespace REMOVES ITS WEBSITE!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: EZ_B,

Posts: 2267 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: February 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd venture a guess that even the most staunch of the scamdemic town criers amongst us would get tested if they showed serious flu-like symptoms.

Heck yes I'm gonna get tested. I'm gonna get the T-shirt as well. Let's be clear though, the virus isn't the scam, nor is the disease. The numbers, the lies, the lack of facts, etc we the people are being fed everyday is the scam.

Posts: 10949 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The numbers, the lies, the lack of facts, etc we the people are being fed everyday is the scam.

Exactly...the lies, inflated/false numbers, hysteria and propaganda put out there is the real scam.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
^^^
and

quote:
^^^

x3

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43885 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
Now they want us to wear masks... At Home:

https://www.webmd.com/lung/new...d-19-risk-study-says

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:
Now they want us to wear masks... At Home:

https://www.webmd.com/lung/new...d-19-risk-study-says
"A study conducted in China... They voided any credibility whatever in the first sentence of the article. NEXT....

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let's stop talking about Hydroxychloroquine - you are going to rain on Fauci's vaccine parade !! Big Grin

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
Let's stop talking about Hydroxychloroquine - you are going to rain on Fauci's vaccine parade !! Big Grin

This just came out today. PAs transvestite Secretary of Health has cited a nursing home for administering hydroxychloroquine to it's residents as a preventative measure, even though it was given under a doctors orders.

https://www.pennlive.com/news/...o-205-residents.html

This is the same Sec of Health that MANDATED that PA nursing homes were required to accept covid-19 patients returning from hospitals. The same one who removed his own mother from a nursing home the day BEFORE issuing the mandate.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Vaccine question.

Was briefly tempted to open a thread so this didn’t get buried but concerned it will be viewed as a COVID-19 item. I suspect one or more people here will know the answer. If possible it’d be awesome if we could simply focus on that not the need/lack of for a vaccine or any of the other politics.

I am curious about the manufacture of vaccines. Obviously, the current pandemic where you would be looking to manufacture billions and billions of doses is illustrative of the topic, but this could apply in other instances down the road or may have in the past. When there is an urgent global need for a vaccine and (let’s just say) one firm comes up with the formulation which they will protect through a patent how does the production proceed? Does the patent protection begin at application/inception?

Talking with a peer about this he speculated that your patent protection would be in place on completion of viable formula and application and give you the ability to share the formulation with other firms to help with rapidly ramped up production. Is that something that could/does happen in real life or is the concern for intellectual property theft too high there that this wouldn’t happen?

I realize several firms currently in advanced testing are already producing doses using our tax dollars. Most of those figures being tossed around (like they will make a dent in need) are hundreds of thousands of doses by the fall, 1-2 billion by 2021 (that’s pretty vague), etc. That volume will obviously be far short of what’s needed for broad distribution especially if a two-shot regimen, so how are additional doses made?

Peripheral to that, is a vaccine something firms can easily reverse-engineer? So if you’re in North Korea for example you reverse formulate from a sample and then start making your own “generic” version of the vaccine and give the big middle finger to the firm who actually holds patent? Heck if that’s possible will the Wuhu Vaccine offers start to flood my spam folder in place of the old generic Viagra???

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12418 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironbutt:
The same one who removed his it's own mother from a nursing home the day BEFORE issuing the mandate.
Small FIFY in an effort at accuracy.

Just doesn't seem we're going to be allowed to have a cheap, tested, and readily available drug to use on this bug when we can instead enrich some pharma company by mandating their new, experimental, and expensive drug instead. Make no mistake, Fauci is clearly on the latter bus. and if you dug deep enough, my bet is you'd find a financial incentive in there somewhere for him.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I realize several firms currently in advanced testing are already producing doses using our tax dollars. Most of those figures being tossed around (like they will make a dent in need) are hundreds of thousands of doses by the fall, 1-2 billion by 2021 (that’s pretty vague), etc. That volume will obviously be far short of what’s needed for broad distribution especially if a two-shot regimen, so how are additional doses made?

Peripheral to that, is a vaccine something firms can easily reverse-engineer? So if you’re in North Korea for example you reverse formulate from a sample and then start making your own “generic” version of the vaccine and give the big middle finger to the firm who actually holds patent? Heck if that’s possible will the Wuhu Vaccine offers start to flood my spam folder in place of the old generic Viagra???

^^^^^^^
Can you put these paragraphs in the form of a question? I am not trying to be difficult, just not sure what you are asking.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
Doctors stand behind President Trump, call for reopening America thanks to miracle drug

Link

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3925 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post