SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 ... 1214
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
The late, great, George Carlin:

quote:
It's ridiculous and it goes to ridiculous lengths! In prisons, before they give you a lethal injection, they swab your arm with alcohol! It's true! It's true. It's true! Well, they don't want you to get an infection! And you can see their point: wouldn't want some guy to go to Hell and be sick! It would take all the sportsmanship out of the whole execution. Fear of germs? Why, these bunch of goddamn pussies! You can't even get a decent hamburger anymore. They cook the shit out of everything now, 'cause everybody's afraid of food poisoning! Hey, where's your sense of adventure? Take a fucking chance, will ya? You know how many people die in this country from food poisoning every year? Nine thousand! That's all - it's a minor risk! Take a fucking chance, bunch of goddamn pussies! Besides, what do you think you have an immune system for? It's for killing germs! But it needs practice. It needs germs to practice on. So listen, if you kill all the germs around you and live a completely sterile life, then when germs do come along, you're not gonna be prepared. And never mind ordinary germs. What are you gonna do when some supervirus comes along that turns your vital organs into liquid shit? I'll tell you what you're gonna do. You're gonna get sick, you're gonna die, and you're gonna deserve it 'cause you're fucking weak and you've got a fucking weak immune system!

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just poke holes in your mask. That's what I did. I made a smiley face on the mask with the holes. And then breathe easy.

....or get one of these Cool Most places are ignoring the mask mandate but if they insist, I put this on

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
^^^^ What is that specifically?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30926 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Smoke & Mirrors???

Big Grin Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:

Your best bet is probably standard surgical masks.

The Governor of Tennessee just ask everyone to wear a homemade cloth mask anytime they are out, and to save the medical mask supply for the professionals. Roll Eyes

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4177 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Governor Walz wants to mandate I wear a mask then he can damn well send me a supply not that I would wear them anyhow. I wouldn't be surprised to discover all these governors own stock in the company's who manufacture masks.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8620 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is that specifically?

Not sure exactly, but it feels like soft cotton or something similar. I found it on etsy.com from a seller in California. They keep telling people to wear those bandana and other home made crap, so I dare one of the assholes to say anything to me about this. I've had a few people ask me where to find it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tleo205,

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
That seriously looks like something from Wicked Weasel that got repurposed.

Posts: 27303 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
Go lightweight surgical to meet requirements or full N95 if you want protection. The in-between stuff is a bit of a waste.

N95s are miserable to wear for any period of time though.

Posts: 6400 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://hotair.com/headlines/a...yment-benefit-lapse/

GOP lawmakers are debating whether to reduce the payments and to possibly include a bonus for those who accept job offers because of concerns that the generous enhancement is a disincentive to returning to work. Democrats have proposed continuing the $600 benefit into 2021.

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said Thursday that extending the program, which was part of the $2 trillion economic aid package passed in March, is a priority.

“We’re not going to pay people more money to stay at home than work, but we want to make sure that the people out there that can’t find jobs do get a reasonable wage replacement,” he told CNBC. “So it will be based on approximately 70% wage replacement.”

That would equate to about $200 a week, said Ernie Tedeschi, an economist at Evercore ISI.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have seen several cases where the abuse of that 600 per week is sickening. Time to end it.

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
There are hundreds of people selling cloth masks on Etsy.
I'm sure you could find a lightweight one there.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16640 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
Go lightweight surgical to meet requirements or full N95 if you want protection. The in-between stuff is a bit of a waste.

N95s are miserable to wear for any period of time though.

Oh, I know. That’s what I wear all day at work. The real surgical N95. No valve.

Posts: 9023 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve tried every type of mask I can find, including some ear loop home made cotton masks. In this summer’s heat, a big cotton bandana doubles as a dust mask when mowing, plus a mask to get parts, fuel, cup of coffee, etc., when going to town.
Might try www.ohsayusa.com - they have some that fill the bill.
Blackhorse4

Posts: 88 | Location: North central Kentucky | Registered: October 30, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Push back

Posts: 109088 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Kook:
quote:
No one's even vaguely suggested that people who don't wear masks are somehow a protected class regardless of constitutionality or actual medical condition.

I would make the argument that if businesses cannot discriminate on the basis of race, gender, religion, etc. particularly if they provide a critical service (groceries, drug store, hotel, gas, etc.) then they should not be legally able to discriminate on the basis of compliance with an unconstitutional mask mandate. The right of free association for businesses providing critical services clearly has limits. The mask situation is akin to if a municipality or a store decided to mandate that all female shoppers wear a hajib or that all male shoppers wear a Dale Ernhart ball cap. Any discrimination should be viewed as illegal simply because it is discrimination not based on the hostile actions of a customer but rather on refusal to comply with arbitrary and capricious rules.

That is true but a business can refuse to serve anyone they choose to, provided that decision is not based on the reasons you mentioned (race, etc.).

Posts: 21414 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
The government using regulations on businesses to force said businesses to do things that would be illegal and unconstitutional for the government to do is old hat, but now being extended to every business. A classic example of this is the government can't perform random drug tests on citizens. But it can require companies to do them on their employees in order for those businesses to remain open.

Does this sound familiar? Because it is exactly how governments are forcing businesses to require the wearing of masks in their buildings, to practice social distancing, etc.

I wonder if there is a phobia that is the opposite of the fear of crowds, basically a fear of being alone, that you could invoke as a medical condition to NOT social distance.

Posts: 1519 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear:
I wonder if there is a phobia that is the opposite of the fear of crowds, basically a fear of being alone, that you could invoke as a medical condition to NOT social distance.
Yes. Clingsodexia - a compulsion to dry-hump attractive women. This affects men primarily, age 14 to you-name-it. I myself have suffered intermittent bouts of this condition.

posted Hide Post
https://www.npr.org/sections/c...-000-u-s-restaurants

McDonald's Will Require Face Masks At Its More Than 14,000 U.S. Restaurants

July 24, 20202:39 PM ET

An alarming spike in U.S. coronavirus cases is prompting McDonald's to require customers to wear face masks at all of its more than 14,000 domestic-market restaurants, the company announced Friday. The policy takes effect on Aug. 1.

The U.S. now has more than 4 million known coronavirus cases; 1 million infections were diagnosed in just over two weeks.

Because face masks and other precautions have become a subject of contention in the U.S., the restaurant chain says it will help employees get "de-escalation training."

The goal, according to McDonald's, is to help restaurant workers respond productively when customers are unwilling or unable to wear a mask.

"In those situations where a customer declines to wear a face covering, we'll put in place additional procedures to take care of them in a friendly, expedited way," say McDonald's USA President Joe Erlinger and Mark Salebra, chair of the National Franchise Leadership Alliance.

Those who come into a restaurant without a mask will be offered one, a McDonald's representative told NPR via email. If they refuse masks, customers will be directed to "a designated pick-up spot a safe distance from other customers."

Other changes will include the addition of new protective panels in both customer and employee areas of restaurants.

"While nearly 82% of our restaurants are in states or localities that require facial coverings for both crew and customers today, it's important we protect the safety of all employees and customers," Erlinger and Salebra say in a statement about the plan.

The COVID-19 pandemic has forced McDonald's, like many other restaurants, to make stark changes in how it does business. The company now emphasizes "McDelivery" through Uber Eats or DoorDash, for instance, and it urges customers to use mobile apps for contactless ordering and curbside pickup.

Earlier this month, Starbucks and Panera Bread became some of the first large national restaurant chains to require face masks. Popular retailers and grocers such as Walmart and Kroger recently adopted similar policies. Costco began requiring masks in early May.

The new precautions at McDonald's also include a plan to postpone dine-in operations for another 30 days.

In addition to the increase in coronavirus infections in the U.S., McDonald's says it's imposing the new restrictions because of recent reports that suggest virus-bearing droplets can linger in the air "for extended periods of time, increasing the risk of virus spread, especially from asymptomatic carriers."

As of Friday, McDonald's customers in England are also now required to wear face masks, due to a new government policy. While the U.K. falls far short of the U.S. coronavirus figures, it has one of the largest outbreaks in the world, with some 300,000 confirmed cases.

Posts: 16011 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Oh, no. How will people get their shitburgers now?

Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
My son got married Friday at a mask required venue. Thought I was going to have to capitulate and for the first time wear a mask. Turns out probably 80% of folks went without a mask. The venue did not enforce it. So I went with the majority and stayed maskless.

Funny thing was most of the masked people shaked my hand heartily in the reception line. Confused

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8620 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post