SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 ... 1214
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
There is a money making opportunity here. You could craft an inexpensive but attractive sign with an attached cord. It could read MASK EXEMPT MEDICAL CONDITION.

Posts: 17501 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
Who is it discriminating against? People who don't like it? People who claim a medical condition are already permitted a waiver.

Somewhere in there there's a constitutional argument - the Governors of both Texas and Indiana had to make wearing a mask "strongly suggested" rather than mandatory for that reason.

The problem is that local governments are making it a regulatory issue. Local buisnesses don't want to be hassled, particularly when their revenue streams have been dramatically cut because of limitations on how many people can be in a buisness establishment and what kind of buisness can be done. Rather than screw with harassment by local government (which tends to arbitrarily decide that "you WILL wear a mask or be banished to PC hell") or face potential liability that they have no way of assessing, managing or planning against, local buisnesses will enforce a "no mask, no service" rule. The buisnesses have their own premises, so they can admit or turn away anyone they like*, and that becomes "enforcement".

* No one's even vaguely suggested that people who don't wear masks are somehow a protected class regardless of constitutionality or actual medical condition.

Posts: 27303 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Left-Handed,
NOT Left-Winged!
posted Hide Post
If not for the WuFlu and travel restrictions I would be in China right now for a run-off of about $20M of manufacturing equipment at the supplier before it ships to a new factory.

A couple days ago the city where the equipment supplier is located had positive virus test results from, you'll never guess... yet another open seafood market.

For a day or two everyone from the new plant that is in town for runoff had to stay in their hotels and wait to see if they would be allowed to go to the supplier, or go home, or quarantine.

Today I saw reports for the city that indicated 0 confirmed cases, and 25 asymptomatic positives.

We know the CCP has been gaming the numbers to downplay things since the beginning, but reporting actual symptomatic people as "cases" and asymptomatic as what they really are is what the US should be doing.

Imagine if the media said, for example: 10,000 new asymptomatic positives, and only 1000 "cases" in a given area on a given day, instead of 11,000 "cases".

Posts: 4930 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tequila with lime
posted Hide Post
quote:
No one's even vaguely suggested that people who don't wear masks are somehow a protected class regardless of constitutionality or actual medical condition.

I would make the argument that if businesses cannot discriminate on the basis of race, gender, religion, etc. particularly if they provide a critical service (groceries, drug store, hotel, gas, etc.) then they should not be legally able to discriminate on the basis of compliance with an unconstitutional mask mandate. The right of free association for businesses providing critical services clearly has limits. The mask situation is akin to if a municipality or a store decided to mandate that all female shoppers wear a hajib or that all male shoppers wear a Dale Ernhart ball cap. Any discrimination should be viewed as illegal simply because it is discrimination not based on the hostile actions of a customer but rather on refusal to comply with arbitrary and capricious rules.

Thank you President Trump.

Posts: 8366 | Location: KS, USA | Registered: May 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Imagine if the media said, for example: 10,000 new asymptomatic positives, and only 1000 "cases" in a given area on a given day, instead of 11,000 "cases".

That is what should be happening but the media and politicians are too dishonest to allow that and they would not be able to scare and control the sheeple.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
quote:
Who is it discriminating against? People who don't like it? People who claim a medical condition are already permitted a waiver.

Somewhere in there there's a constitutional argument - the Governors of both Texas and Indiana had to make wearing a mask "strongly suggested" rather than mandatory for that reason.

The problem is that local governments are making it a regulatory issue. Local buisnesses don't want to be hassled, particularly when their revenue streams have been dramatically cut because of limitations on how many people can be in a buisness establishment and what kind of buisness can be done. Rather than screw with harassment by local government (which tends to arbitrarily decide that "you WILL wear a mask or be banished to PC hell") or face potential liability that they have no way of assessing, managing or planning against, local buisnesses will enforce a "no mask, no service" rule. The buisnesses have their own premises, so they can admit or turn away anyone they like*, and that becomes "enforcement".

* No one's even vaguely suggested that people who don't wear masks are somehow a protected class regardless of constitutionality or actual medical condition.
Therein lies the truth of what's going on.. If the politicians can't formally mandate the wearing of masks themselves because of judicial interaction, (which they still to date have not provided 'any' proof works) they'll bully the hell out of ailing businesses just trying to hang on through this mess to torment customers and enforce mask requirements.

To date, I've seen three different PSA type commercials reminding everyone to wear a mask, and all three noted different rates of disease control from wearing a mask. Hell, the messaging is full of as much BS as the politicians and 'experts' pushing this nonsense.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Link to referenced article...

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/arti...26/5/19-0994_article
quote:
Although mechanistic studies support the potential effect of hand hygiene or face masks, evidence from 14 randomized controlled trials of these measures did not support a substantial effect on transmission of laboratory-confirmed influenza.

FACE MASKS

In our systematic review, we identified 10 RCTs that reported estimates of the effectiveness of face masks in reducing laboratory-confirmed influenza virus infections in the community from literature published during 1946–July 27, 2018. In pooled analysis, we found no significant reduction in influenza transmission with the use of face masks (RR 0.78, 95% CI 0.51–1.20; I2 = 30%, p = 0.25) (Figure 2).
Mic drop.

Yet the CDC and our oh so learned 'experts' and politicians are demanding masks be worn in direct contradiction to CDC's own research studies. Incompetence or outright corruption? You be the judge.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Kook:

I would make the argument that if businesses cannot discriminate on the basis of race, gender, religion, etc. particularly if they provide a critical service (groceries, drug store, hotel, gas, etc.) then they should not be legally able to discriminate on the basis of compliance with an unconstitutional mask mandate.

I think the barrier you face is proving that the right to refuse to wear a mask is enshrined in our constitution. Conversely, you would need to prove that the legal requirement to wear one is somehow anti- constitutional and thus are discriminatory. At the moment, businesses have the right to refuse service to anybody, providing they are not in a protected class and are not being refused on that basis.

An interesting conundrum.

You might be better off attacking the legality of the assorted State EOs which would put a stop to the mess individually.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
At the moment, businesses have the right to refuse service to anybody, providing they are not in a protected class and are not being refused on that basis.
Soooooooo, we need to find some transgender nutjob to lead this fight because their rights are more 'protected' than ours are. Comical how moronic things have become in this country.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would make the argument that if businesses cannot discriminate on the basis of race, gender, religion, etc. particularly if they provide a critical service (groceries, drug store, hotel, gas, etc.) then they should not be legally able to discriminate on the basis of compliance with an unconstitutional mask mandate.

All of what you say makes perfect sense to me, but that's where the tactical brilliance (whether intentional or accidental) of the move shines through. Each customer would have to take each buisness to court to establish that point legally, and they'd probably have to do it one by one. The alternative would be for each buisness would have to take both the city and the county to court. Either way, buisnesses usually don't want to go to the time and expense of going to court, and most buisnesses are pulling in a lot less revenue these days than they normally would anyway. The sheer impracticality of fighting it means that cities and counties get away with it.

Posts: 27303 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would make the argument that if businesses cannot discriminate on the basis of race, gender, religion, etc...
You make a valid argument, however "they" will say that race, gender, religion, etc. is not contagious and will not cause death. Hence...

quote:
Originally posted by tleo205:
quote:
That is what should be happening but the media and politicians are too dishonest to allow that and they would not be able to scare and control the sheeple.
This right here. Which statement induces the most fear and dread in sheep?

1. Our normal load is 3 ICU beds, but ICU patients now total 7.

2. Our ICU patient load has increased by 233%.

See how easily the facts can be skewed to fit ones agenda? THIS IS WHAT THE SHEEP DON'T UNDERSTAND. Even some folks here, unfortunately. This is an actual example of a news story that came outta the Valley area in Texas...Harlingen, Brownsville, etc.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
No mask nazis at our business and local LE says call the health department, not us Karen.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5721 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
basis.[/QUOTE]Soooooooo, we need to find some transgender nutjob to lead this fight because their rights are more 'protected' than ours are. Comical how moronic things have become in this country.[/QUOTE]

Pennsylvania's director of heath is transgender.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
See how easily the facts can be skewed to fit ones agenda? THIS IS WHAT THE SHEEP DON'T UNDERSTAND. Even some folks here, unfortunately. This is an actual example of a news story that came outta the Valley area in Texas...Harlingen, Brownsville, etc.

^^^^^^
You are giving the media and American public too much credit. Numbers and percentages not to mention statistics are well beyond their level of comprehension.

Posts: 17501 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kuisis:
basis.
Soooooooo, we need to find some transgender nutjob to lead this fight because their rights are more 'protected' than ours are. Comical how moronic things have become in this country.[/QUOTE]

Pennsylvania's director of heath is transgender.[/QUOTE]

Ironic, isn't it? Our Secretary of Health is a tranny pediatrician who dresses up like a rodeo clown, & we're supposed to follow medical advice given by him.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
There is a money making opportunity here. You could craft an inexpensive but attractive sign with an attached cord. It could read MASK EXEMPT MEDICAL CONDITION.

I think there is a money making opportunity for masks too. I don’t believe in any of this mask crap, but I have to wear it for my job. I want to buy the thinnest, flimsiest masks possible so I can abide by the rules while still breathing comfortably. But every mask I try to buy has three levels of fabric and advertises itself on the merits of “protecting” me which really means making it hard to breathe.

Anyone out there sell a paper thin cotton mask? Searches turn up nothing.

Posts: 2450 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:

Your best bet is probably standard surgical masks. I actually wound up in the ER with chest tightness which they think was related to either the cloth masks or all of the cleaning chemicals we've been spraying everywhere at work. I can wear the surgical masks without issue.

Posts: 6400 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
quote:

Your best bet is probably standard surgical masks.

I would agree with that. They are lightweight and offer very little restriction. Of course, they don't provide much protection, either. I would try to avoid the fashion masks that offer all of the problems with none of the benefits. Go lightweight surgical to meet requirements or full N95 if you want protection. The in-between stuff is a bit of a waste.

Posts: 9023 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

Just poke holes in your mask. That's what I did. I made a smiley face on the mask with the holes. And then breathe easy.

Or you could wear scuba gear.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30926 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
quote:

Your best bet is probably standard surgical masks. I actually wound up in the ER with chest tightness which they think was related to either the cloth masks or all of the cleaning chemicals we've been spraying everywhere at work. I can wear the surgical masks without issue.

That’s what I’m using now: buying bulk surgical masks at Sams club and using a razor to cut out the thin layer near my mouth to make breathing even easier. However I’m going through them at an unsustainable rate and would prefer thin cloth masks I can wash.

unfortunately poking holes in my already thin mask is a step too far.

Posts: 2450 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post