SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 ... 1208
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palm:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
Massachusetts governor Baker has excluded gun stores from the list of essential businesses. Some gun stores are refusing to close. Things could get interesting here.

I thought President Trump declared them essential nationally.

They were added to the CISA's updated guidance list. To my knowledge, the list is advisory and not binding on the states. Many states are utilizing it because it is easy to reference.

https://www.cisa.gov/sites/def...sion_2.0_Updated.pdf

Yeah the fed doesn’t trump state rights. That being said I don’t know what law in Massachusetts gives this power to the governor. I haven’t found any info on it.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12453 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
A pretty amazing mitzvah: Medtronic is giving away rights and manufacturing details of their ventilators for free to potential competitors.

Yea, awesome Roll Eyes I just bought stock in Medtronic last year... and now they are giving their tech away Roll Eyes

But... I also bought Abbott Labs (a Jim Cramer pick) just last fall because I didn't have much in the medical sector but didn't want any pharmaceuticals due to all the huge lawsuits going around. So I went with some medical equipment mfgs. Abbot makes the 10 min corona virus test just approved, and is already shipping, that has been in the news this week. They are making 50k test a day now and ramping up very soon to 150 a day.

Gonna be rich I tells ya! Any. Day. Now. Yep! Annnnny daaaay now... Big Grin

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4131 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
While holding the Chinese government responsible for how they reacted to this is to be expected, I think that China has another problem: Cultural ignorance.
I base that on my experience of dealing with the several Chinese restaurants that were on my beat. I would routinely find myself in the kitchens of these places and they were disgustingly filthy. All them were and our Health Dept. would shut them down until they cleaned up. At least one family had a half million dollar home in an upscale area that had 20 people living it. Many of the "residents" were there under a type of indentured servitude and did not speak any English. The Feds eventually raided the house and shut it down. The other Asian style restaurants in the town were dirty, too, but not at the level the Chinese places were. When I tried to dissuade my buddies from eating in these places, they ignored me and said well, thats just how they do things!
Awhile back were discussing what country represented the greatest external threat to the US. I said it was Mexico. Lots of guys said China. I stand corrected. You guys were right!

The Communist party over the last 70-years has shattered the Chinese culture that existed, resulting in a populace that has little social under-pinnings other than ancestral worship and survival. How many of their own citizens have they killed or, allowed to die since they've been in power, 100 million plus?

In support of your position, when immigrating to another country, willful ignorance is no excuse, particularly when it comes to laws but, probably more importantly, assimilating and getting along with the local standards and mores. If you're getting repeat visits by the Dept of Health, you're doing it wrong.

Posts: 14703 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:

It's April fools remember

I think the kids should have to go back in the summer if this is cleared up. No, I am not April Fooling. This Non Traditional Instruction (NTI) or whatever they call it flat does not work for the younger kids.
We’re doing our best but our kids will not be where they should be starting next year, that is for sure.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25454 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
A pretty amazing mitzvah: Medtronic is giving away rights and manufacturing details of their ventilators for free to potential competitors.

quote:
Ventilator manufactor Medtronic gives away patents to its competitors
Medtronic CEO Yaron Yitzhari: 'The financial impact isn't what counts - the main thing is to save lives.'

Medtronic, the world’s largest manufacturer of medical equipment, is currently receiving large amounts of attention for its ventilator. This week, the CEO of the company's Israel division, Yaron Yitzhari, made the decision to release all of Medtronic’s patents for the production of ventilators, in order to enable any company wishing to manufacture them to use Medtronic’s blueprints, for free.

Arutz Sheva spoke with CEO Yitzhari, asking him about his decision and the possible repercussions for the company.

“We didn’t just release the patents,” he clarifies. “We’ve made available all the details of the manufacturing process, for anyone who’s interested in manufacturing ventilators himself.”

Wasn’t he concerned about the potential loss of profit for his company, almost certain to run to the millions of dollars?

“In the present situation, I’m proud to work at Medtronic,” he replies. “Our goal is to prolong lives – to save lives, in fact. This is what’s needed right now, in the emergency situation we’re in, and this consideration comes before everything else. These are unusual times, and they demand of us to act in unusual ways. So, when it comes to calculating the financial impact, it has negligible weight, because the main thing is saving lives, and that’s what our company knows how to do.”

Link

Medtronic has a large plant in my town. My neighbor works for them. I don't think they build ventilators here (I believe that plant is in Ireland), but it's cool to see a "local" company stepping up.

Posts: 8684 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
our kids will not be where they should be starting next year, that is for sure.
Most of them could be. Or ahead.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12458 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyes

The Green Flu Deal

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30449 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
It's not all doom and gloom.

Some hilarity does occur.

With Australia in near lockdown, when presented with an opportunity to get outside, and put out or bring in the rubbish bins, some Aussies are dressing up for the occasion.

Any signs of such activity in your areas?

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:

Unfortunately nothing as outrageous. But our neighborhood NextDoor website told us people were putting stuffed animals in their street-side windows so the kids could look for them and keep score on their daily family walks. We added a penguin.

Posts: 18096 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
Massachusetts governor Baker has excluded gun stores from the list of essential businesses. Some gun stores are refusing to close. Things could get interesting here.

I thought President Trump declared them essential nationally.

This part is very confusing. You have Trump and the federal government declaring some businesses/industry's essential, then you have states listing what is essential and non-essential, then on top of that you have individual counties declaring things essential and non-essential. But they're all conflicting each other. So you don't know who to believe and waste time trying to find out.

I'm in the marine Industry. Individual counties were the first ones to list the marine industry as essential or non-essential. The county South of me listed it as non-essential. My county, essential. Now the Governor of Florida listed parts of the industry essential and parts non-essential that nobody knows who to believe and who is enforcing what.

Case in point, I ran a 76' yacht up from Miami today...Dade County to Broward County.....about 45 miles. Yacht had to move as another dealer bought it and took possession and their insurance only covers their yachts in 3 marinas in Broward County. Dade county marine industry was ruled non-essential...... Had enough fuel to get the yacht up here. I pull up to the fuel dock at the marina, they say they're only fueling military/police and commercial boats (meanwhile 300' of fuel dock empty and no other boats there), but you can back track to the other fuel dock 5 miles away and they're fueling recreational boats, in the same county. Yacht has a sale on it and a seatrial/survey for the sale on Saturday and needs fuel to do the seatrial……..I told the Dealers manager to just get a fuel truck out to the boat......but makes no sense. Boat ramps are also closed here, but recreational boating is allowed provided no more than 10 people, nobody besides immediate family members, and 50' from other boats. So those that have a boat in the water can use it, but those that trailer it cannot.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Unfortunately nothing as outrageous. But our neighborhood NextDoor website told us people were putting stuffed animals in their street-side windows so the kids could look for them and keep score on their daily family walks. We added a penguin.

My wife and kids placed a couple in our front windows as well. I think it's a small fun thing for the kiddo's to do.

Posts: 5200 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Michigan's Governor wants her emergency power extended for another 70 days. The legislature is apparently not buying the duration.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38010 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Michigan's Governor wants her emergency power extended for another 70 days. The legislature is apparently not buying the duration.
As well they shouldn't. The current virus situation is going to continue to be fluid for some time and these morons in elected office need to learn to be both flexible and open minded as things around them change.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yeah, that seems just a mite >< excessive.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Mississippi
We're in the "shelter in place" crowd.

Yay.

May I move over >>>>>there, or just poop here and hope for some bog roll? Eek

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12458 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I'm curious, what is the end game here?

Are we not letting anyone out until the virus is totally eradicated? As soon as the leash is off people are going to go back to normal life, or are we going to have to spend the rest of our lives 6' away from everyone else?

If there is even a few infected people out there this starts all over again. Are we going to go back to normal for 3 weeks and lock down for 6 again?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38010 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:

Silly politician! It may end up lasting that long (I sure as hell hope not!), but an emergency authority should be granted for a period of time, reviewed, and extended if necessary.

Posts: 6926 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm curious, what is the end game here?

Good question.

My suspicion is they have some vague hope that, if they can flatten the curve it'll stay flattened. Problem is: Once they let the restrictions off people will go back out into public doing the things that allow the transmission and not doing the things to retard it.

That's the entire problem right now. If people would just follow safe social interaction practices, none of this shutting-down of things and extreme social distancing measures would be necessary. But they don't. And my bet is, once the restrictions are removed, they still won't.

So, yeah: My guess is it'll ramp right back up again.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Corona virus got Ellis Marsalis. A true jazz legend. RIP.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/01...ronavirus/index.html

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
My guess (and its just that) is it will last until we see a drop in the new cases and leveling out or drop in the deaths. By then the scientists will have a good idea how long it will last. If we end up killing off a bunch of folks, like the 100,000 they were predicting, or infecting 100,000,000 no one will complain too much about a longer lock down. No one knows. Yet.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18390 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post