SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
I have an earnest question re: masks, so please leave the "it's bullshit" out of it, since I've already come to that conclusion. That's not what this question is:

What is the actual rationale being provided by the "masks now" crowd (Fauci, the media, et al.)? Like the actual scientific rationale.

We know that most masks, let alone "face coverings" are categorically incapable of stopping the virus from getting to you because they're too porous--to say nothing of the absolute lack of PPE best practices followed by just about everyone you see with one on.

So if it's undeniable that the masks are ineffective for the purpose, what reason is actually being given for us to wear masks?

The masks are to keep airborne germs from spewing a significant distance horizonally, so less chance of infecting others.

If viral laden droplets fall to the ground within inches of one's face, they are far less likely to be breathed in by others.

True, a mask won't stop the virus. But it will inhibit the projection of exhaled droplets. The respirated droplets carry the virus.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
If the WuFlu caused more GI symptoms, the .gov would have the ovine flock wearing corks in their butts with a flag out the top of the waistband for the official and voluntary Karens to verify compliance.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not wanting to inject politics into this but i am wondering;
Do we think the virus will start disappearing after November 3rd?

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:
There were a surprising number of N95 masks in use. You know, the ones with a valve that let everything you exhale escape the mask. You know, the thing that wearing masks is supposed to prevent.

Of course, the wearer is actually quite well protected with one. While exhaled air is still vented out, I would guess that the valved N95 does a pretty good job of directing a cough or sneeze down toward the floor instead of across the room. I suspect they are at least as good as a bandana at protecting others and FAR better at protecting the wearer.

Posts: 8958 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjp:

I doubt it. The Dems are trying to place the blame for all this on Donald, but they know nobody believes them, so they're not really putting alot of effort into it. Right now they're holding their breaths hoping Biden gets elected, then covid, racism, and all our other problems will disappear.

If Donald gets elected, we can expect impeachment-part deaux, more endless & pointless investigations, congressional hearings on everything from Trumps DNA to what he had for breakfast, etc.

They're not going to stop.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Really hope this election's "October surprise" is the Justice Department dropping indictments on the perpetrators of the Russia hoax and all of Epstein's friends. That would be just beautiful.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:

What would be be interesting to see as another data plot on this graph is the number of hospitalizations, and as a subset, the number of people actually on ventilators. If those plots mirror the death rate plot, then good. If they mirror the infection rate, then not so good. My guess, is the former(the death rate).

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MRBTX- Thanks for the insightful video. What she said made more sense than anyone I've heard since this all started.

I don't fault them for taking precautions at the start. We didn't know. I do fault them now since we know better.

There is no End Game. This goes on for perpetuity.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

Dude, politics has been a part of this since the very beginning

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Looking at the graph the chellim1 posted, it strikes me how similar the plot looks to a stock market chart. The last two peaks look like 2/3 of a classic "head-and-shoulders" pattern. Depending on which way that line moves, you can predict the overall trend. If it keeps going up, then the spike is still progressing. If it goes down, and falls about 5% below the trendline, chances are the spike is done and will keep going down.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16357 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Dude, politics has been a part of this since the very beginning

Since Day. One.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Anybody want to be a human guinea pig?
quote:
Houston company seeks volunteers for new COVID-19 vaccine trial
By Sonia Ramirez, Chron.com / Houston Chronicle Updated 1:22 pm CDT, Tuesday, July 7, 2020

The Texas Center for Drug Development (TCDD), was selected for an investigational COVID-19 vaccine trial and is seeking volunteers to participate.

The program is a joint effort between TCDD and DM Clinical Research-"two of the largest non-institutional clinical research networks in greater Houston-—and will be conducted under the careful medical supervision of their research physicians."

The press release states that the investigational vaccines have been given a nod by the FDA for Phase 2 and Phase 3 trials.

"It should be noted that participants in the study will not be injected with the actual virus," said the press release.

As part of Operation Warp Speed, the program aims to deliver 300 million doses of a safe, effective vaccine for COVID-19 to Americans by January 2021, the release states.

Volunteers interested in the trial should visit this website or call to apply at 281-886-3753.
Excerpt from the trial's FAQ
quote:
1. I don’t want to be a guinea pig. Is it safe?
The investigational vaccines you will take have already been approved by the FDA for Phase 2 or 3 trials—which means there is human safety data available from earlier phases of clinical trials.

2. Will I be compensated?
Yes. We appreciate and value your time and commitment. The compensation for your time and travel costs could total as much as $1,000 over the course of the study. We will discuss this, along with other specifics of the study, during the consenting process.

3. Who is sponsoring the trial? Should I trust you?
We have a number of FDA-approved COVID vaccine trials underway and in the pipeline, in phase 2 and phase 3, sponsored by preeminent pharmaceutical companies. We, here at the Texas Center for Drug Development, along with our partner institution DM Clinical Research comprise the largest non-institutional clinical research networks serving Greater Houston for over a decade and a half.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
There were a surprising number of N95 masks in use. You know, the ones with a valve that let everything you exhale escape the mask. You know, the thing that wearing masks is supposed to prevent.

I would guess that the valved N95 does a pretty good job of directing a cough or sneeze down toward the floor.

I have a couple I used for dusty situations and etc and the valve exit routs the exhale straight down toward you chest.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anybody want to be a human guinea pig?

For $1,000? Nope.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For anyone wondering...

This C19 shitshow is and always has been about politics. This event is another futile attempt to depose a sitting president. This entire event is political theater, anyone who claims otherwise is a liar and a fraud.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Short story, everything went well and as expected, but the whole production was an exercise in healthcare theater.

I also flew this week for the first time since February. Sarasota to ATL to SLC.

Mask usage in the airports was high. Most people appeared to be using them correctly including covering their nose.

I flew Delta. They are enforcing 100% usage. They are also not selling middle seats and in first class only one person is allowed for every two seats. It appears you can get a waiver for both of these if you are family. I saw husband next to his wife in first together but the rest of us were separated. They also handed you a bag with a water and a couple snacks in it when you boarded. You also got a Purell wipe to wipe down your area. On the ATL-SLC flight they did come through and hand out more water. No alcohol or soda service.

The Delta Skyclub was open. They had prepackaged food instead of their normal setup. You could get alcohol and soda at the bar like normal.

Other than the above basically nothing else is different. All the restaurants I saw were open. All the stores too.

Currently I’m on a construction site. Everyone is supposed to wear a mask and stay 6 feet apart when possible. Which basically isn’t. Only two people are allowed in a vehicle and you are t supposed to share tools. All of these are being ignored. Everyone is wearing a mask but there are a lot of uncovered noses. It’s going to be near 100 today so people just aren’t willing to breathe into a mask too.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15256 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
For anyone wondering...

This C19 shitshow is and always has been about politics. This event is another futile attempt to depose a sitting president. This entire event is political theater, anyone who claims otherwise is a liar and a fraud.
I never thought anything to the contrary. From Day 1. What I find simply astounding is there are some here who unnecessarily bought into the Fake News "Media" fear mongering. Just gotta scratch my head with a puzzled look on that one...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Regardless of your view on the virus but assuming you acknowledge the public reaction to possible mitigating treatments you may want to read this. A local group that does some other studies from time to time. The theory is that not only does it reduce mortality but also severity of cases that otherwise would have just been uncomfortable.

At the very least, if you take either of these drugs regularly and you're low you may want to get some before it disappears along with the TP.

NORTHSIDER REED HOGAN'S OVER-THE-COUNTER COVID-19 TREATMENT CUTS DEATH RATE 25-40%

eta text. Sorry - it is an ad-heavy site but hardly clickbait.

quote:
NORTHSIDER REED HOGAN'S OVER-THE-COUNTER COVID-19 TREATMENT CUTS DEATH RATE 25-40%

Northsider Dr. Reed Hogan
By Wyatt Emmerich, READ MORE > 120487 views
On Tue, 07/07/2020 - 03:28 PM
COVID-19 Treatment Success with a Combination of Two Over-the-Counter Drugs -- Pepcid and Zyrtec

Stops cytokeine storm

Jackson, Miss. --- It began with a treatment for skin inflammation. Then, Reed Hogan II, MD, began pondering if an inexpensive, available, over-the-counter treatment might also work in severe gastrointestinal illness, much of it caused by inflammation. He was seeing success. Then, COVID-19 hit. He connected the inflammation dots, and wanted to attack the cytokine storm of the novel virus.

He contacted a leader in the nation’s largest pulmonary organization to start a physician-sponsored study with critical hospitalized patients. The result: his team cut death rates by 25-40%, down to 15.5%, and 8.2% not including those with DNRs (do-not-resuscitate orders). They also reduced the intubation rate (need for a ventilator) down to 16.4%, a reduction of 1/3 to 1/2 of reported rates in the pandemic.

“I wanted to see if we blunt the cytokine storm with medications anyone in the world can find and afford,” said Hogan, partner with GI Associates in Jackson, Mississippi. The study was not sponsored by a pharmaceutical company or government grant, but by the physicians of GI Associates themselves.
Working to treat a large group of patients, many already in intensive care units, the ages of these very sick patients skewed towards 60-plus in age, with many coming from nursing homes. Based in Mississippi, where general health is often compromised due to socio-economic issues, these patients averaged a high 2.7 in co-morbidities (other health problems). Of those patients, 59% were African-American and 59% female, according to the data.

The selected drug combination included an allergy (antihistamine) and an antacid (acid-reducing drug), commonly found on shelves that have been safely used for decades. While the answer appears simple, it is actually quite complex. These two meds, cetirizine and famotidine, work to block H1 and H2 histamine receptors, producing a one-two punch against inflammation, a deadly factor the cytokine storm of COVID-19, according to Hogan.

With the historically safe nature of these common drugs, and the lack of other proven therapies, Dr. John Studdard, well-known for his leadership in pulmonary medicine, and the physician practice group, Jackson Pulmonary Associates, agreed to try the treatment in critically-ill patients. Two weeks later, positive results began to emerge. This meant sending people once on the edge of dying, home to complete recovery.

“It was pretty dramatic. We thought the data might be too good to be true, but the positive results kept coming,” said Hogan.

While many of the other treatments being offered require specialized equipment, or expensive drugs or biologics, this protocol uses drugs already on pharmacy shelves. The savings could reduce treatments that cost in excess of $3,000, to potentially less than $100 in drug costs.

“The drugs are so scalable, easy to produce and inexpensive, that this combination should be readily accessible to impoverished countries across the globe,” said Hogan.

While the drugs they are using have long had approval from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), still their new approach is off-label, thus not currently approved for the treatment of COVID-19. This initial study included a cohort of 110 patients. The research article has been submitted for publication review; a preprint of the manuscript is available at

https://doi.org/10.22541/au.159406460.01530066

Testing on a larger scale in well-controlled, rigorous trials are warranted by these favorable results, according to Hogan.

“It is an optimistic result in a time when people are vulnerable. Dr. Hogan is striving to do good in a time of need. This has the potential to be a remarkable weapon against this worldwide pandemic,” said Douglas Paul, PharmD PhD, partner in Medical Marketing Economics.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Georgeair,

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12419 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:

I would guess that the valved N95 does a pretty good job of directing a cough or sneeze down toward the floor.

I have a couple I used for dusty situations and etc and the valve exit routs the exhale straight down toward you chest.

The kkina solution:

Mask - 2 by kpkina, on Flickr

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16357 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Regardless of your view on the virus but assuming you acknowledge the public reaction to possible mitigating treatments you may want to read this. A local group that does some other studies from time to time. The theory is that not only does it reduce mortality but also severity of cases that otherwise would have just been uncomfortable.

At the very least, if you take either of these drugs regularly and you're low you may want to get some before it disappears along with the TP.

So what is this "miracle" drug? The link itself is clickbait. Just sayin'...