SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson:
quote:
If your kid does not show symptoms, then send him to camp.

That's how it spreads.

So let it spread. People that are unlikely to have serious effects from the virus should live their lives normally, get exposed and maybe even get sick. Let us build herd immunity. Meanwhile let immunocompromised folks stay home and isolate in order to keep themselves safe. Unless you are immunocompromised the data seems pretty compelling that this virus is not that big of a deal.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:

What I certainly am not going to do is pretend there is no risk. It seems that is what many here are advocating. Just go about life as if there is no concern, and let the chips fall where they may.

That is exactly what I am planning on doing, along with most of my friends. It is what I recommend any non immunocompromised person doing as well.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lt CHEG:
Unless you are immunocompromised the data seems pretty compelling that this virus is not that big of a deal.

So the interesting thing is as we actually get some facts rather than just theories it’s gonna be harder to keep throwing around these generalized concepts as though they are rock solid.

Granted that’s just the state of Mississippi, but we’re not that different than the rest of the world.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12416 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
It's my understanding there is an incubation period during which a person shows no crud-19 symptoms after exposure.

What if a person comes into contact with another who has the crud-19, but due to the incubation period shows no signs for x number of days? Does the test immediately reveal crud-19 before the person demonstrates any symptoms during incubation? If not then the test would seem to be worthless unless repeated regularly.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
12,469 deaths

In a year's period, right?

In just a few months, the US has 10x that amount. I realize we question the accuracy of that number, but surely we agree there have been more than 12k deaths in the US, right?

What am I missing? Honest question. No sarcasm or snarkiness. No victimhood or blame.
What you're missing is you do not destroy an entire trillion dollar economy for the number of deaths we've seen thus far from Covid. Maybe you consider that a callus viewpoint, but its based on reality. And I did not post a specific number because we have no earthly idea how many people have been killed specifically by Covid due to all the BS we've seen with how the numbers are quantified. Then there's the little issue of a few governors stuffing Covid positive elderly back into assisted living and nursing homes which have also skewed the death count. Had these states not been run by complete morons, the death counts would have been much lower.

And though its glossed over by the filth in Washington and the media, how about we factor in the huge increase in suicides that have occurred during the shutdown as another good reason for not having shutdown in the first place.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
p.s. My condolences for your loss as well, Lt.

Thank you very much. He was a great guy, awesome cop and paramedic and just a good human being and family man. However, even though he was a younger man he did have complications. He suffered a couple broken ribs in an ATV accident and likely some lung injury as well just prior to his COVID diagnosis. Yes, he should have been able to beat it, but he most certainly did have extenuating circumstances which unquestionably put him in a higher risk category. For what it’s worth I don’t think he would be in favor of continued shutdowns either.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
If your kid does not show symptoms, then send him to camp.

That's how it spreads.
I just do not grasp this concept. Its been shown time and time again that kids are far less impacted by Covid. On the other hand, if he does get it and recovers like the vast majority of kids do, then he has anti-bodies in his system to help him fend off any future viral attack.

As noted previously, if he's sick, keep him home. If not, send him to camp and wish him a good time. Kids have been 'stored away' for far too long this year already.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Fourteen days quarantine for every potential exposure?

To quote myself - "There is a balance between practical and cautious"

What I certainly am not going to do is pretend there is no risk. It seems that is what many here are advocating. Just go about life as if there is no concern, and let the chips fall where they may.

I don't understand your compulsion to explain to everyone here the levels of precaution you've decided to take for yourself.

Year V

Posts: 2631 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Nice chart Georgeair. Unfortunatley, it glaringly leaves out one piece if information.

Here's a chart from Florida:

Do you see why a whole lot of us just aren't worried about the Vid?

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189Big Grino you see why a whole lot of us just aren't worried about the Vid?

My point isn’t that we’re all gonna die from the Wuhflu as I’ve conceded many times.

It’s that what we have to be worried about is needing healthcare for a stroke, accident, elective surgery, whatever and the inn being full. IMHO we need folks to find a way to balance keeping on working in our economy without blowing it out as back to normal and no concerns or precautions and getting back to the very real narrative of overwhelming the healthcare system.

This is compounded by most states having no ability to strategically limit procedures that are going to result in “unneeded” admissions, because that’s incredibly subjective from the standpoint of both the patients and the healthcare providers. So what do they do? They do what Texas did and our state threaten today which is a limit ALL elective procedures again as they did in April. That’s a horrible option for all involved.

In fairness, MS deaths are in the same buckets as others. Agreeing with that separate fact doesn’t change the point that arguing only immunocompromised people are at risk is just wrong.

P.S. I don’t want to spend weeks in hospital either! Wink

Posts: 12416 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It’s that what we have to be worried about is needing healthcare for a stroke, accident, elective surgery, whatever and the inn being full. IMHO we need folks to find a way to balance keeping on working in our economy without blowing it out as back to normal and no concerns or precautions and getting back to the very real narrative of overwhelming the healthcare system.

^^^^^^^^^^^
Very important point. Having a knowledge of our healthcare system is important. Locally, patients are just now coming back for in person visits with their primary care physicians. It is impossible to measure the lost lives due to missed colonoscopies, noncompliance with meds. etc.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Wow. More people over the age of 85 have died than people under the age of 74. Just try to wrap your head around that. And there is still mumbling about shutting down the country again? That is utterly incongruous with any sense of logic or reasoning.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Wow. More people over the age of 85 have died than people under the age of 74. Just try to wrap your head around that. And there is still mumbling about shutting down the country again? That is utterly incongruous with any sense of logic or reasoning.

Exactly. And one of the posters above said he was worried about elective surgeries not being available if the hospitals are at capacity. So.....how does that differ from when everything was shut down? Hell, even here in Georgia lots and lots of elective surgeries and other procedures were postponed or cancelled.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:

In fairness, MS deaths are in the same buckets as others. Agreeing with that separate fact doesn’t change the point that arguing only immunocompromised people are at risk is just wrong.

I missing what you are saying here. The first chart seems to show that almost all deaths in Mississippi from Covid are happening in immunocomprimised people. The last column is labeled "None noted" and is incredibly small compared to any of the other columns.

You talk about people maybe not being able to receive medical care for other conditions, but that is no more an effect of Covid than not being able to get a haircut or go to the gym is. Those are problems caused by the people making the policy decisions.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
someone who may be infected.

So, you're not even sure the person(s) in question have even been infected themselves?

So, you find out that person 1 "may be" infected....Quarantine 14 days
Day 15 your kid goes back to whatever and gets exposed to person 2 that "may be" infected....Quarantine 14 days
Day 30 your kid goes back to whatever and gets exposed to person 3 that "may be" infected....Quarantine 14 days
Day 45 your kid goes back to whatever and gets exposed to person 4 that "may be" infected....Quarantine 14 days

Do you see the absurdity of it all? It's an endless fear loop that gets repeated like Groundhog Day every 2 weeks.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I missing what you are saying here. The first chart seems to show that almost all deaths in Mississippi from Covid are happening in immunocomprimised people. The last column is labeled "None noted" and is incredibly small compared to any of the other columns.
^^^^^^^^^^^
I may be reading the bar graph incorrectly but it seems that Hypertension is the biggest risk factor.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
And the mental retardism grows.... I stopped to grab dinner tonight (ordered online for pickup) from Tijuana Flats. I walked up to the door and was greeted by an employee telling me I couldn't enter without a mask on. Say what? A week ago they didn't have this moronic rule in place. So I asked why, and why now after they'd been open with social distancing requirements in place for the past month. Low an behold its because of our resident retarded Mayor's recent EO requiring masks be worn 'outdoor' where social distancing is not possible. Never mind no one is enforcing this BS. Well, apparently Tijuana Flats brass are just falling in line to inconvenience the hell out of their customers at the royal decree of a retard. I mentioned the term 'retard' a few times when talking outside with the store manager at which point a masked moron who we'll just call 'Karen' piped up and told me the term retard was offensive and I shouldn't use it. So to accommodate her sensitivities, I switched to using 'fucking illiterate moron' when referring to our retarded mayor instead. She seemed a bit triggered by my lack of concern for her opinion/sensitivities.

So Tijuana Flats becomes the next local business I will no longer purchase from until their heads come out of their asses again.

Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
And the mental retardism grows.... I stopped to grab dinner tonight (ordered online for pickup) from Tijuana Flats. I walked up to the door and was greeted by an employee telling me I couldn't enter without a mask on. Say what? A week ago they didn't have this moronic rule in place. So I asked why, and why now after they'd been open with social distancing requirements in place for the past month. Low an behold its because of our resident retarded Mayor's recent EO requiring masks be worn 'outdoor' where social distancing is not possible. Never mind no one is enforcing this BS. Well, apparently Tijuana Flats brass are just falling in line to inconvenience the hell out of their customers at the royal decree of a retard. I mentioned the term 'retard' a few times when talking outside with the store manager at which point a masked moron who we'll just call 'Karen' piped up and told me the term retard was offensive and I shouldn't use it. So to accommodate her sensitivities, I switched to using 'fucking illiterate moron' when referring to our retarded mayor instead. She seemed a bit triggered by my lack of concern for her opinion/sensitivities.

So Tijuana Flats becomes the next local business I will no longer purchase from until their heads come out of their asses again.

For what it's worth, I was down in Fort Lauderdale last week and went out for dinner. I had my fishing buff with me, as I do these days, and the person working up front explained to me that I had to wear face cover from the main entrance to my seat, but then didn't need to wear it any longer while at the table. I remarked about that and they explained some local business had been fined by Broward County because patrons were not abiding.

This is silly, I'll be the first to admit, but I also sympathies with the businesses that are attempting to stay in business. If that means I need to cover my face, I'll do it. I still reserve the right to not cover my face and eat dinner at home.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9688 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
I missing what you are saying here. The first chart seems to show that almost all deaths in Mississippi from Covid are happening in immunocomprimised people

My point was that of all the deaths in Mississippi 121 of those people had that condition as an underlying factor. Obviously that chart also accounts for the fact that several of these people had more than one underlying conditions since total deaths are only about 1000 + or -. The post above that led to this was one that suggested that this was the only issue about which people needed to be concerned as it related to deaths. Obviously age is a bigger factor than any of these but as underlying conditions go this one is far down the list.

quote:
You talk about people maybe not being able to receive medical care for other conditions, but that is no more an effect of Covid than not being able to get a haircut or go to the gym is. Those are problems caused by the people making the policy decisions.

I think you’re right that the effects are no greater or less than the other, the difference is one is an uncontrolled overuse of healthcare capacity with or without policy decisions whereas the latter examples you gave are driven solely by policy decisions.

To be clear once again, I am not a proponent of and would be opposed to another “shutting down“ of the economy. My concern is with healthcare driving so much of the visible part of this that without some real effort by everyone in the country to curtail the hospitalizations (not just the positive test count) we’re going to back the policymakers into an untenable position where they start leaning back on that as a partial or total solution.

quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

Folks won’t tolerate this when the pile of useless old folks is jamming up the doors and keeping other folks under 85 from increasingly urgent care needed, “elective” or not. Then we’re back to draconian measures like the spring or something we referred to as death panels back in the nationalized healthcare debates. I’d prefer to avoid both.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Thank you. What you are saying makes sense to me now. I disagree with everyone in the country needing to do something though. Much of the country isn't having a problem over loading the hospitals. The county we live in has the oldest population of any county in the country and is nowhere near exceeding our three hospital's capacity. Neither are the two counties in Michigan where are spending the summer just as we have done in the past. The one has had 12 confirmed cases so far, while the other has had 21. Presumably, other than the 2 deaths, the rest have recovered.