SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 ... 1208
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG228:
^^^^

That's the same idiot who got caught getting her hair did at a salon after threatening to have people arrested and jailed for breaking quarantine. She then went on TV after getting called out and basically said she's special because she's a politician.

Oh, and unlike you, she takes her personal appearance and hygiene seriously. Silly peasants, how dare you question her!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_MyenCLkgM

The real question is... When are people going to be fed up with this once and for all?

Btw, we hit 500 pages, now we sacrifice and it's over right?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38005 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson:
The flu is not as contagious as this one. Nor is it as prevalent. Nor is the incubation period as long. Therefore, this is more dangerous.

We all know all that. These are, in fact, some of the same arguments I've made in the past.

quote:
There is a difference between fear and precaution. I know you know that.

At some point you have to get on with life.

As I noted in another thread:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Despite the weekly protests in Lansing (Michigan's capital), cops publicly announcing they won't enforce [the Governor's] edicts, businesses opening in violation of her orders, and people increasingly returning to some semblance of living: The infection and death rates continue to decline.

Enough, already. I'm about done hiding in our cave.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I predict this thread will reach 902 pages.

My spouse works at a local hospital with the largest number of confirmed COVID-19 cases requiring hospitalization in NOVA.

While there are a bunch, it's not the end of the world.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31485 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Despite the weekly protests in Lansing (Michigan's capital), cops publicly announcing they won't enforce [the Governor's] edicts, businesses opening in violation of her orders, and people increasingly returning to some semblance of living: The infection and death rates continue to decline.

Perhaps this is part of the plan, do not open until forced to open, via the courts or public actions. Then any government official can say that they did all they could to protect the safety of the populus with general deniability for the premature opening of the economy should things go south.

When my wife asked early on how long this would last my response was, "until the people revolt or the government runs low on payroll funds"

Posts: 23585 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
The flu is not as contagious as this one.
You do not know that.

Posts: 107740 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
At some point you have to get on with life.

You get on with your life how you like.

I'll decide when to get on with mine.

This is the problem - everyone thinks they know the best way to behave. And thinks anyone who disagrees is brainwashed, a sheep, panicked, fearful etc.

Precaution is wearing a seatbelt while riding in a car.
Precaution is wearing a helmet on a bike.
Precaution is storing food, supplies and ammo.
Precaution is keeping some cash on hand.
Precaution is arming oneself.

But to some of you guys, distancing and covering ones face during a pandemic is panic, not precaution Roll Eyes

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
The police walking away in NJ.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ammoholic
Picture of drtenb330
posted Hide Post
Haven't posted in 500 pages. No contiguous time. When I'm able, I've been trying to follow the conversations. I'm working through COVID everyday, all day. I signed up for this, I'm fine, although beyond tired mentally & physically.

Never thought I'd ever say this: I'm sick of Pizza.

As my tag describes, I'm in Florida. From a direct perspective, a lot of the poor decisions were made by politicians. I'm so far past the frustration, I'm just working.
For those who are very sick, there are interventions, like ECMO - which are working for critical patients. No vaccine is out yet, so therapy/treatment is the immediate concern.

My views are like so many here: If you are healthy, have no comorbidities, and understand the risks (statically extremely low), you should've been allowed to work. For God's sake - i'm working every day, as are PD/FD/RN/s/PAs, and plenty of support staff - like orderlies, coroner staff, food providers, etc.. (who really should be recognized).
This economy was decimated by political decisions where science was bastardized. There was no sane reason to stop all work, especially by healthy individuals, capable of rational decisions.

Make no mistake - this virus is not fully understood. Children and apparently healthy adults are getting severe related complications. New twists/patterns are being discovered almost daily. No one fully understands the long term recovery, affect, potential disabilities, other adverse medical conditions. We wont know for years. (as an aside - go tell me this wasn't from a lab when typical viral/pathological mutations take 400 -800+ years, not 10-15 from the last version of COVID/SARS/MERS/other related pathogens). But the extant of fatalities are not statistically dramatic as being made. What about the next round when this re-appears? Or when other viruses start to show up? Are we closing down the County again for fear of Nile/Dengue/Malaria? Is the new normal to stop life for 0.5% - 4.5% (dependent on who is playing with the stats) of the population?

The Press went way too far. Certain politicians even worse. One could make a compelling case that this was abused by the Democrat's (emoticrats?) as an opportunity to stop the economy, especially once they realized the potential economic damage. Never let a good crisis go to waste. Yes, its always sad when a young person, especially a child gets terminally ill and dies. Yes, the hot spots spread the virus to the extreme.We're all human, and it hurts. I've had close relatives with C-19. It's not fun.

I was completely astonished when the politicos, at the outset, let people wait in line at hospitals or emergency centers, spreading it even further. Or when certain lesser hit states came out with draconian measures to stop everything on a dime. Sure, you can make a case with righteous indignation. But medically speaking, nope.

The real medical focus should have been the absolute disaster within our nursing home system, depleted supply stores being made overseas, or those same supplies depleted by the last administration, and lastly - large City run hospitals where medical professionals need to kowtow to CEOs & drug companies. Or the completely nonsensical Democratic original stance to not blame China, go eat out in restaurants in NY, go to the Theater, don't be politically incorrect. You can forgive ignorance (at the outset), but not blatant stupidity and not cover-ups overseas. This was started in a fish market from bat guano? Really? A market in a City with a known biological testing lab? (see above for the life of a naturally mutating pathogen)

In the end, most people will be fine. Bussiness should not have stopped. If you catch it, spread it w/o a care, you are worthless. If a family member is suffering through it, I am sorry for your struggle. But this has been a historical blunder that will be studied for centuries.

Posts: 1633 | Location: Miami Beach, Florida | Registered: December 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
The flu is not as contagious as this one.
You do not know that.

You are correct. But I think it's very possible. I prefer to take precaution.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
So, then, you're back to what you said originally, which is based upon your own speculation, formed by "facts" provided to you by government, politically-biased health agencies, and their news media co-conspirators.

Therefore, I'll say it again- you have been brainwashed.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson: Therefore, this is more dangerous.

71 fruit pickers were recently tested in Washington State. 36 tested positive for COVID-19 and none of them showed any symptoms. They were tested because there were cases in the fruit packing plants.

There's lots of real questions about this virus and very little accurate information.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13409 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
I prefer to take precaution.

Respectfully, that's kind of the point of the entire thread. People should be free to make their own decisions based on their understanding of the risks.

In far too many cases, they aren't being allowed to, by .gov...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6220 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
So, then, you're back to what you said originally, which is based upon speculation formed by "facts" provided to you buy government, politically-biased health agencies, and their news media co-conspirators.

Therefore, I'll say it again- you have been brainwashed

OK. Any decision anyone makes is based upon some from of analysis of the information they have.

Why do you insist on the term 'brainwashed', rather than 'ill-informed' for example.

You seem really put off by someone like me who is doing what? . . choosing some measures that have no effect on anyone else. .

Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:
I prefer to take precaution.

Respectfully, that's kind of the point of the entire thread. People should be free to make their own decisions based on their understanding of the risks.

In far too many cases, they aren't being allowed to, by .gov...

I don't disagree, and haven't made any posts supporting any mandated shut downs or lack of ability to make a choice.

I think people read that I am taking certain measures, and want to lump me in a certain group.

Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson: Therefore, this is more dangerous.

71 fruit pickers were recently tested in Washington State. 36 tested positive for COVID-19 and none of them showed any symptoms. They were tested because there were cases in the fruit packing plants.

There's lots of real questions about this virus and very little accurate information.

Exactly. With lack of reliable information, I am choosing to be cautious until I know more. Not sure why so many are put off by this.

posted Hide Post
quote:

The flu is not as contagious as this one. Nor is it as prevalent. Nor is the incubation period as long. Therefore, this is more dangerous. I'm not saying it's going to kill me. I'm saying there's a greater chance in getting infected. Having asthma, and family members who are higher risk, I've taken precaution.

I'not going to get as hysterical as you are - will just say I have not been brainwashed, and your judgement to call me that is either hyperbolic or just assholish. I'm a smart guy, well informed. I haven't panicked. I've read, talked to people I trust, and made an informed decision.

There is no fear. There is a difference between fear and precaution. I know you know that.

A thought come to mind reading your post.... do you happen to work for CNN?

Fear is driving your ship and it's clear to most anyone outside your bubble.

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
tell me this wasn't from a lab when typical viral/pathological mutations take 400 -800+ years, not 10-15 from the last version of COVID/SARS/MERS/other related pathogens

Your entire post it great drtenb330. The above is something I haven't heard yet, interesting.

Posts: 5351 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Supposedly, the Evil Queen is going to relax restrictions here in the UP during a presser this afternoon.
Wow... Thanks. I hope our businesses survive. Our tourism events damn sure havent.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16124 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
get away from me or I'll sneeze on you...

Probably get charged with a crime in today's climate.

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why do you insist on the term 'brainwashed', rather than 'ill-informed' for example.
Because you have taken information- which is questionable at best- and formed the opinion they wish for you to have- namely, that you must live in fear. You must alter your life and the lives of those around you. You must depend upon the government and only the government to guide you through this "crisis".
This is beyond "ill information". They have gotten into your head. You have been brainwashed.

quote:
You seem really put off by someone like me who is doing what? . . choosing some measures that have no effect on anyone else. .
What I'm "put off" by is mass hysteria and the ways which it affects me; not being able to obtain something as simple and UNRELATED to this ridiculous fiasco as toilet paper. I am put off by being watched by some grocery store employee in a mask when I walk past the sign which says "you must wear a mask", while not wearing a mask. I am put off by every Goddamn thing being closed except for grocery stores and gas stations.

Those who push back against this utter insanity are my allies. Those who don't push back- well, as they say, you're either part of the solution or part of the problem.