SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 ... 1214
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
So more STD's were spread vs Da Rona?

And yes, tracking the movement by phones is rather frightening.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8523 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Me: Turn off your phone

Twenty year old: What?

Me: Turn off your phone and they can't track you.

Twenty year old: What?

Me: Turn off your phone. Power it off. Press and hold the power button and follow the prompts. Off. The opposite of On.

Twenty year old: Dude, why would I turn off my phone, like, ever, and if that is even possible.

Me: OK, then. Forget it.

Twenty year old: Forget what?

Posts: 109053 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looking at the cell phone beach tracking map, it looks like everybody in Detroit went to the beach.
Cant blame them. Any excuse to flee Detroit is a good one.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16381 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Here is what I don't get about this entire thing, the time duration. This virus is supposed to have a 10-14 day incubation period. Here in Michigan we went into shut down more or less on Monday 17 March when bars/restaurants were closed ahead of St. Patty's Day, gatherings were limited, and things progressed from there to Stay at Home orders on 23 March.

Based on the graph we keep getting fed on that day there were 263 positive cases. Ok, we expect that to grow in 14 days as anyone just infected will then present. That happened at 14 days it was 1749 cases on 7 April.

Trending up, now in total lock down except essential workers on 21 April we hit 967. This was encouraging as although a spike, the previous 3 days were all under 800. We extended again

On 5 May we were at 447 cases and trending down. And extended again to 28 May.

Initially we went to 28 days of lock down on a virus with a 14 day incubation period. then kept extending. We are not blowing past 60 days headed for 74 total days.

Granted there will be some spread in medical facilities among staff, but given that prior to this week Michigan was receiving and "A" grade for social distancing and staying home. Why is this virus still propagating? Why is there all of this fear of asymptomatic people spreading the disease unknowingly, shouldn't they all have recovered by now?

I'm willing to accept that there are likely false positives, definitely multiple counting of positives, and likely positives as noted from S. Korea where the tests detected virus fragments that were not viable and couldn't infect (healthy immune people). I'm also willing to accept that the spikes are likely data adjustments, as we already know if they find death certificates from previous days, they'll add them to today driving up the numbers.

But why has it taken 60 days for a virus with a 14 day incubation in a state with the most restrictive lock down in the nation to die?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38205 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
An example of the insanity that has gripped millions of Americans. Just look at this group of nancies having a social distanceing pow-wow. A friend of mine snapped this pic I think somewhere in Texas.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30905 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
Tennessee to lift capacity restrictions on retail and restaurants, allow large attractions to open

Guess I’ll be taking a road trip from East Germany...err I mean Pennsylvania to Tennessee soon to eat out in a real restaurant.

But seriously about the East Germany thing, I half expect to hear from Supreme Commmander Wolf that he’s ordering a wall to be built around the entirety of Pennsylvania...for our “protection”. Frown

Posts: 34541 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
New Mexico's governor newest order requires that everyone in a public space must wear a mask.
Since masks are to come by the state will mail you one.
One county sheriff said it's unenforceable and went on to say that the governor doesn't have the power to create new laws.

https://www.currentargus.com/s...awmakers/5192243002/

Posts: 1653 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:
One county sheriff said it's unenforceable and went on to say that the governor doesn't have the power to create new laws.
I'll take his word on the latter, as this is almost certainly the case in all 50 states, but there is no doubt whatsoever that he is right about the former. Simply not enforceable. You can arrest some random unlucky schmoes, but you can't get them all. This is a non-starter. Ridiculous

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
Wisconsin is open, and Milwaukee most definitely is. Driving home an hour ago, I saw way more traffic than in the past several weeks. Can hear loads of vehicles, especially motorcycles, and MPD seems pretty busy.

Going out tomorrow for my Saturday shopping/drive with the windows down and sunroof open. Noticed drive thrus have been gradually more busy the past few weeks. It will be interesting to see if the Karens are out, now that Gov Evers got smacked down, or if they are still sheltered in fear.

Either way, I'll be out and about. Living.

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
As noted before, over here the debate is not really along partisan lines, except maybe for centrists vs. the political fringe, both left and right. There is still popular two-thirds support for the government course, but ironically waning as restrictions are now being lifted at a rapid pace; all shops have been open again since last week, and as of yesterday restaurants can service in-house again with appropriate precautions. Schools and daycare are slowly coming back.

From an advertisement point of view, my company's business was still meagre by normal standards this week, but at least it was within the range of normalcy. I expect most of the rest of measures to be lifted by mid-June, though public mass events currently remain banned until the end of August. But we had less than 1,000 new infections every day this week, and are down 78 percent from the peak of active cases on 6 April. And with the emergency capabilities built up over the last weeks - actually unused so far - we could deal with a possible second wave of about three times the infection peak of the first.

Protests are by both left- and right-wingers, plus sovereign citizen types, anti-vaxxers and general conspiracy nuts, but also folks from the political mainstream, particularly those economically and personally affected. Most opposition comes, in descending order, from voters of the right-wing AfD, classical liberal Free Democrats, and post-communist Left Party. From my personal observation, right-wingers tend to protest against the restrictions - though maybe out of calculation rather than conviction - while left-wingers protest their usual causes despite them. I guess both agree that the government is using them to keep them down though.

quote:

Corona Conspiracy Theorists Protests in Germany See Fringe Mix with the Mainstream

At demonstrations and on the internet, both the far-left and the far-right have converged in their agitation against measures taken to limit the spread of the coronavirus. In a disturbing development, their conspiracy theories are also reaching the mainstream.

14.05.2020, 17.50 Uhr

By Maik Baumgärtner, Felix Bohr, Roman Höfner, Timo Lehmann, Ann-Katrin Müller, Sven Röbel, Marcel Rosenbach, Jonas Schaible, Wolf Wiedmann-Schmidt and Steffen Winter

PEGIDA isn’t marching these days. For almost six years, racists and disaffected Germans, marched every Monday through Dresden’s city center as "Patriotic Europeans” to stop the purported "Islamization of the West.” But last Monday, the city’s Neumarkt square was empty. The local authorities were only permitting the demonstration to take place within a small square delineated by barriers, restrictions imposed because of the coronavirus. A maximum of 50 people could take part.

That was too small for PEGIDA organizer Lutz Bachmann, who’s accustomed to larger audiences. He has instead moved the protests to the virtual realm, inciting his followers from home by video livestream, not a bad move given the torrential rain that day. But Bachmann has also expanded his usual repertoire of political issues: These days, he has turned his attentions away from migration and Islam and toward the coronavirus lockdown restrictions imposed by politicians. Yet the despite the flexibility in focus, the message has remained the same: Merkel has to go.

In his livestream on May 4, Bachmann called for civil disobedience. "There’s nothing anybody can do about it if you just sit down, as long as you pay attention to minimum spacing requirements," he said. The PEGIDA organizer sees considerable mobilization potential in tapping the anger many Germans feel about the restrictions on public life imposed as a result of the coronavirus as well as the social and economic impact they are having. Something is stirring in Germany, he shouted to his followers. And not just in the former East German state, where most of PEGIDA’s energy has come from, but also in the western states. "The people are slowly waking up over there,” he said.

In fact, a growing number of people across Germany have been gathering to protest against the government. And it’s not just the usual PEGIDA suspects who are taking to the streets. The virus is uniting people in protest who previously had very little to do with each other: right-wing extremists, anti-vaxxers, anti-Semites, conspiracy theorists, left-wing radicals, old school anarchists and followers of New Age beliefs. But also quite normal people who weren’t politically active in the past.

Last Wednesday, around 400 gathered in front of the German parliament, the Bundestag, in Berlin. The past two weekends have also seen protests in Stuttgart, where more than 4,000 demonstrated against the coronavirus measures on May 2 and the largest protest to date took place in the city this Saturday, with police estimating the size of the crowd at 5,000 people. Meanwhile, around 3,000 protested in Munich over the weekend, over 1,000 in Berlin, and similar demonstrations were held in Frankfurt and Cologne. Recent days have also seen protests in a number of smaller cities. In many places, the desire to resist resulted in acts of aggression against police officers and journalists. In Berlin, camera teams working for the public broadcasters ARD and ZDF have been attacked. There are even efforts to start a new political party as an umbrella body for the disparate groups of protesters. The official papers for the "Resistance2020” party were filed last week.

[...]

Germany’s state governors are also worried that the mood in the country is shifting. That’s one of the reasons they pushed Chancellor Angela Merkel last Wednesday for a further loosening of restrictions – changes that would have been unthinkable only a week earlier.

But who are the people driving the politicians to take these steps?

Stuttgart is a good place for getting a better understanding of the phenomenon. Ten years ago, massive protests were held in the city against a major infrastructure project called Stuttgart 21, the far-reaching transformation of the main train station along with major cosmetic changes to parts of the city. The anger over the project and the ensuing protests attracted attention across the entire country. It wasn’t left-wing radicals expressing their displeasure at the time, but largely well-off people who believed their quality of life would suffer through the construction of the station. There are a numerous parallels between today’s protesters and those from a decade ago

The recent protests in Stuttgart have been organized as "vigils for the constitution,” a reflection of the incursions on basic freedoms that the lockdowns have wrought, by a movement called Querdenken 711, which translates roughly as "thinking out of the box.” It’s not just chronic Merkel-haters or anti-vaxxers here, but also people who have lost their jobs as a result of the pandemic. They’ve been attended by single mothers and even restaurant owners who have had to close their establishments. They consider the restrictions to be disproportionate and are protesting against "arbitrary action taken by the government” and for the "restoration of fundamental rights” or the for Stuttgart’s nightlife to be saved.

[...]

"The Government Is Screwing with Us All”

A number of political players have been deliberately exploiting this phenomenon during the crisis. In many places, officials with the AfD party are either participating in protests or are themselves registering the events. They include people like local AfD politician Steffen Janich in Pirna, a small town located near Dresden, who has been calling for "coincidental walks” on Wednesdays. And there are people like Gunnar Lindemann, a member of the state parliament in Berlin. Or Hansjörg Müller, a member of the federal parliament, who held up a sign at a protest in Munich reading: "The government is screwing with us all.”

The extreme right-wing group Zukunft Heimat, which is led by an AfD member of the Brandenburg state parliament and specializes in street protests is also taking part in protests. And Martin Sellner of the right-wing extremist Identitarian Movement has also called for support for the protests so that they can become a "a large, broad and common alliance.”

A series of weekly protests in Berlin began at the end of March, when Anselm Lenz called for "the defense of civil rights against the spreading new authoritarianism.” The Berlin dramaturge and journalist made a name for himself in theater with pieces that are critical of capitalism. Now the 40-year-old is the mouthpiece of a movement that believes that a conspiracy of power elites is behind the global pandemic.

Lenz and others connected with the Communications Center for Democratic Resistance gather regularly on Berlin’s Rosa Luxemburg Square. At the protests, they distribute a newspaper they produce themselves along with copies of Germany’s constitution. But not all of the participants in these demonstrations are prepared to adhere to that constitution. As the Berlin state Office for the Protection of the Constitution, an agency responsible for monitoring political extremism and terrorism, states in an internal paper, several dozen far-right extremists, including Udo Voigt, the former head of the far-right extremist National Democratic Party of Germany (NPD), attended one of the recent Berlin protests. There has been little opposition to the influx of right-wing extremists who oppose democracy within the protest movement surrounding the coronavirus measures.

Instead, organizers seem to be caught up in their own internal problems. For example, over the purported partnership they had with the German Federal Agency for Civic Education, which they alleged help print copies of the constitution. The agency has denied any involvement. "We clearly refute this,” the agency said in a statement. And famous Italian philosopher Giorgio Agamben told DER SPIEGEL: "I am not the co-editor of the Democratic Resistance newspaper.”

Kremlin Propagandists

On the other hand, there are three media in particular that have stood firmly on the side of the protesters and have been very active in their reporting on the so-called "Hygiene Demos.” They include the anti-establishment webzine Rubikon as well as the two German-language offshoots of the Russian media company RT and Sputnik.

It’s not particularly surprising the Kremlin propagandists took an early interest in the protests. Pro-Russian journalist Ulrich Gellermann, who is frequently interviewed by the stations and websites and writes for both outlets, is part of the core group in the Democratic Resistance group. Gellermann describes himself as "one of the co-initiators” of the protests in Berlin, and he says he advises the organizers and is still in regular contact today.

Gellermann says he also has other "partners.” On his homepage, Gellermann has links to "partners” KenFM as well as Weltnetz.tv, where he has been publishing articles for years. Weltnetz.tv has deep ties to the far-left Left Party. Diether Dehm, a federal parliamentarian for the Left Party, is one of the website’s co-founders and still services as the treasurer of the association that raises money to fund the site. He’s also a part owner of the company that runs the site, as is Heike Hänsel, a Left Party member of parliament and a ranking member of its parliamentary group, and Wolfgang Gehrcke, a former member of parliament with the party. When contacted via his email address at Weltnetz, Dehm answered from his personal email address.

Dehm claims that he has nothing to do with the protests and that he considers the virus to be very dangerous. But he added that it is also important that more people protest and that they be allowed to express their opinions without intimidation. "Everyone must be allowed to spread even the greatest nonsense without being punished. Corona deniers aren’t Auschwitz deniers!" In the leadership of his party, on the other hand, a different, very determined line has been adopted. Left Party national chair Katja Kipping, for example, speaks of a "lobby” for loosening the lockdown.

The Rubikon website serves as a kind of in-house publication for the protesters. "Hygiene Demo” protest organizer Lenz has been publishing his ideas since the site’s launch. The Rubikon website was established in 2017 and is known for its frequent publication of conspiracy theories. The site’s advisory board also includes journalists who work for Weltnetz.tv and the German-language offshoot of RT. Rubikon has also sought to establish ties with fake news influencers like Ken Jebsen, who is profiting massively from the crisis created by the coronavirus through his YouTube channel KenFM.

Jebsen shows that stories based on conspiracy theories about the coronavirus are in high demand. Last year, the former radio presenter gained around 5,000 to 6,000 new subscribers a month for his channel. In March of this year, there were around 35,000 new subscribers, with as many as 75,000 subscribing in April, around 20 times as many as last year. The number of video views is also increasing, with 12 million views in April alone. Other YouTube channels with links to the scene are experiencing similar growth.

[...]

https://www.spiegel.de/interna...7a-980a-d58e9d6b4aec

Also see Berlin Fears Populists Will Exploit Protest Movement for internal debate within the various parties.

Posts: 2452 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
this popped up on a website i was on where do they get this stuff from the 1950s ussr poster company

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
New Mexico's governor newest order requires that everyone in a public space must wear a mask.

I've been keeping an eye on this, as NM is home for me. It's where my house on a foundation and wife is, although I'm currently working in the free state of South Carolina, right next to the freer state of Georgia.

I'm heading home this Wednesday for a week or so. Carlsbad is home, right smack in the middle of this sheriff's jurisdiction. No word, however, on how the Carlsbad Police Department views this. I have informed my wife I will not be wearing a mask.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3350 | Location: Grapevine TX/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
quote:

https://www.currentargus.com/s...awmakers/5192243002/

Here are the figures released this week, straight from the Governor's web site:

SANTA FE – New Mexico state health officials on Wednesday announced 155 additional positive tests for COVID-19. Per the state Department of Health, the most recent cases are:

16 new cases in Bernalillo County
2 new case in Chaves County
4 new cases in Cibola County
2 new case in Curry County
4 new cases in Doña Ana County
53 new cases in McKinley County
1 new case in Roosevelt County
3 new cases in Sandoval County
56 new cases in San Juan County
1 new case in Santa Fe County
1 new case in Taos County
2 new cases in Valencia County
7 new cases among federal detainees at the ICE Otero County Processing Center
3 new cases among federal detainees at the Otero County Prison Facility

The Department of Health on Wednesday also reported twelve additional deaths in New Mexico related to COVID-19. Those cases are:

A female in her 50s from Bernalillo County. The individual was hospitalized.
A female in her 80s from Bernalillo County. The individual was hospitalized and was a resident of the Village at Alameda in Albuquerque.
A male in his 100s from Bernalillo County. The individual was hospitalized and was a resident of the Village at Alameda in Albuquerque.
A male in his 30s from McKinley County. The individual was hospitalized and had underlying conditions.
A male in his 80s from McKinley County. The individual was hospitalized and had underlying conditions.
A female in her 70s from San Juan County. The individual had underlying conditions and was a resident of Cedar Ridge Inn in Farmington.
A second female in her 70s from San Juan County. The individual had underlying conditions and was a resident of Cedar Ridge Inn in Farmington.
A female in her 80s from San Juan County. The individual had underlying conditions and was a resident of Cedar Ridge Inn in Farmington.
A female in her 90s from San Juan County. The individual had underlying conditions and was a resident of Cedar Ridge Inn in Farmington.
A second female in her 90s from San Juan County. The individual had underlying conditions and was a resident of the Life Care Center of Farmington in Farmington.
A female in her 100s from San Juan County. The individual had underlying conditions and was a resident of the Life Care Center of Farmington in Farmington.
A male in his 50s from Sandoval County. The individual was hospitalized.

The number of deaths of New Mexico residents related to COVID-19 is now 231.

I've been disgusted, annoyed, and frustrated with all of this until Wednesday, when I began to feel true, visceral anger.

Of the 153 new cases, 109 of those or 71% were in the NW corner- the Navajo reservation. Of the new deaths, most of them involved underlying conditions, 8 of them were on the reservation again, and all of those were of advanced age.

These figures, the truth of which I doubt (or rather see as lies), are being used to keep the rest of the state in lockdown. My county, Santa Fe, had one- ONE- new case. And I've seen a lot of people out and about the last two weeks. The virus is not spreading here. The bullshit most certainly is.

Posts: 7353 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If masks really worked, then instead of releasing criminals why didn’t we just give them masks?

Saw this on a link to Twitter. Made sense to me.

Are Masks required to be worn by prisoners in jail or is it just free people who are required to wear masks?

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13490 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
quote:
If masks really worked, then instead of releasing criminals why didn’t we just give them masks?

Saw this on a link to Twitter. Made sense to me.

Are Masks required to be worn by prisoners in jail or is it just free people who are required to wear masks?

Inmate mask usage in Los Angeles.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21108 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Hopefully more states will follow Colorado's lead on the fake numbers they've been reporting.

Colorado amends coronavirus death count - says fewer have died of COVID-19 than previously thought

Colorado has made a stunning and significant change to the way it counts COVID-19 deaths that reduced the statewide figure from more than 1,000 to 878, according to a report.

The change came after Colorado’s Department of Public Health admitted that its COVID-19 death toll was counting those who tested positive for the coronavirus but had died of other causes, Fox 31 Denver reported late Friday.

The department now says 1,150 Coloradoans who died had COVID-19 but only 878 of those deaths were “due to” COVID-19.

“We have been reporting at the state, deaths among people who had COVID-19 at the time of death and the cause of that death may or may not have been COVID-19,” Dr. Eric France, the health department's chief medical officer told the station.

“We started to hear stories about ‘are these correct or are these incorrect?'” France said.

Fox News on Friday reported on one of those stories as part of a report that found that the hodgepodge way states counted COVID-19 deaths was a reason why some people believe the U.S. COVID-19 death figure was exaggerated.

The story involved a 35-year-old man from Montezuma County who died May 4 of alcohol poisoning but whose death was counted in Colorado’s COVID-19 death toll.

“The state is reporting that death as a COVID death, but our health department wanted to let people know that even though the person did have the virus, they did not die from it,” the Montezuma County Health Department said about the man's death.

The national COVID-19 death toll climbed to 87,568 Saturday with the deaths of 1,662 more people due to the virus, John Hopkins University data showed. But that latest number does not take into account Colorado's amended figure, listing the death toll at 1,150.

France blamed the confusion on the National Notifiable Diseases Surveillance System that states use to report COVID-19 deaths to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Hours before the health department lowered the death count a somber Colorado Gov. Jared Polis, a Democrat, had told a coronavirus news briefing that the state had reached a “reflection point” as the number of COVID-19 deaths had surpassed 1,000.

"It's important to remember that every number has a name," Polis said. "It's easy to say over 1,000 people. Each one of those is a person with friends, loved ones and family. If you’re fortunate enough not to have known someone who was lost, take a moment and remember why we all need to do our part."

Fox 31 obtained a statement from Polis’ office after the death count was reduced that said the governor fully supported efforts by the health department to specify how many deaths were specifically due to COVID-19 “and not just specific to CDC guidelines that include people who died with Coronavirus but not necessarily from it.”

“State epidemiologists believe that once the data is up to date then the number will, unfortunately, be higher,” the statement concluded.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/col...onavirus-death-count

Posts: 5817 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Isn't falsifying a death certificate a crime in most states?

Colorado COVID-19 death stats inflated and GOP lawmaker calling for the indictment of the head of the state health department for falsely altering death certificates.

Due to the push in using more accurate reporting, Colorado COVID-19 fatalities just dropped by %24.

For a governor that claims to be so data driven when making his decisions I find it ironic that it has taken him, and his administration, so long to figure out the 'inaccuracies' in their reporting stats.

[Note: video and letter found at linked website story. There is additional info covered in the video news report so I would suggest going to the website and watching the video.]

GOP rep alleges falsified COVID-19 records, calls for indictment of Colorado’s top health official

Author: Kyle Clark, Erin Powell Published: 11:33 PM MDT May 14, 2020 Updated: 9:50 PM MDT May 15, 2020

DOUGLAS COUNTY, Colo. — A Republican state representative asked prosecutors to bring criminal charges against Colorado’s top public health official Thursday, claiming that she illegally falsified death records to inflate COVID-19 death totals.

Rep. Mark Baisley (R-Roxborough Park) issued a formal letter requesting an investigation and criminal charges by George Brauchler, district attorney for the 18th Judicial District. Brauchler is also a Republican.

Baisley accuses Jill Ryan, executive director of the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE), of “falsely altering death certificates.” CDPHE collects and reports COVID-19 statistics from across Colorado.

“Falsely inflating the number of deaths due to COVID-19 adversely impacts the professional reputation of nursing homes, hospitals and healthcare workers while creating undue fear for families,” Baisley wrote in his letter.

He also provided another letter dated April 17 from the Someren Glen senior care center to its staff, residents, and residents’ families. The Centennial facility's letter said CPDHE had overruled the cause of death findings by attending physicians in order to list seven deaths as being caused by COVID-19.

“We have never seen a situation where the health department overrules a physician’s findings,” the letter provided by Baisley reads. “However, these are unprecedented times and the health department officials did not share their motivation for changing physician’s orders.”

In a statement to 9Wants to Know on Thursday, CDPHE said the department has used a nationwide standard accepted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to classify deaths.

"We classify a death as confirmed when there was a case who had a positive SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) laboratory test and then died. We also classify some deaths as probable," their statement said.

That method changed, however, on Friday. Colorado Gov. Jared Polis and CDPHE announced that going forward, cases in which people had COVID-19 and died of another cause will be recorded separately from the deaths that were caused by COVID-19.

With the new protocol, state records show 1,150 people died with COVID-19 in their systems as of Friday, and 878 people have died because of the coronavirus. One day prior, state data said there were 1,019 COVID-19 deaths.

"What the people of Colorado want to know is not who died with COVID, but who died of COVID-19," Polis said in a press conference. "I've told [CDPHE] to make sure they're very clear in their reporting."

He added there are only a few cases where the official cause of death isn't clear, and that he considers criminal charges against Ryan to be "completely inappropriate."

Brauchler told 9NEWS it's too premature to discuss charges before an investigation, but it is possible that misdemeanor charges could be filed if his office were to find wrongdoing.

Elected Republicans at the local and state level have been critical of public health leaders throughout the pandemic.

Baisley previously signed on to an effort encouraging Douglas County to break ties with Tri-County Health Department after its public health leaders suggested a stay-home order.

Prior criticism from Republicans at the state legislature had focused on policy decisions. Baisley’s letter is the first formal accusation of criminal wrongdoing by Colorado’s public health officials.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
In response to Balze's previous post with the photo; yesterday on the way home 2 guys in a Mustang convertible, with the top down, passed me. Both were wearing masks, going down the road on a beautiful sunny day.

Posts: 1289 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Facebook busy protecting us from misinformation. Roll Eyes

It's a freaking joke for Pete's sake.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21108 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post