SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 ... 1214
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I kinda get a kick out of peoples reactions at the store when my unmasked ass reaches right around them for a product on the shelf. At least they can see me smile at them as I do it.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sooma:
Civil disobedience to what? Governor executive orders are not law.

Also, when YOU believe that we have reached the "new normal", you have to realize YOU are part of the problem.

Are you or are you not an individual with rights that have been given to you by a power higher than government? That is the question. Either stand up and be counted or follow.

Personally, I refuse to wear a mask, refuse to social distance, or any other ridiculous nonsense. Having worked in far worse places during far worse outbreaks, I know unequivocally that these "experts" have been 100% wrong every single time.

You’re missing my point. The New Normal I’m talking about has nothing to do with the law (although every modern crisis this century has created an expansion of government we live with to this day). I’m referring to an escalation in the culture war that will become the New Normal. If you have the ability to reason with these people and change their minds, more power to you. I do not.

As for civil disobedience, we’ve seen people arrested for violating state orders. Sure, they’re overturned, but that fact that I could encounter the legal system over a walk?

If your Governor has a similar policy in place, ignore it. Let me know what happens. If you don’t have a mandatory mask order in place - enjoy.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3626 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The latest in MI:
The Michigan Nurses Association, the statewide union for nurses, have filed a friend of the court brief in the Republican lawsuit contesting the evil queens executive orders.
The union supports Whitmers use of Executive Orders to force lock down, citing the "danger" of a continued virus spread if the Governors power to lock down is curtailed.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16381 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
Ok, be kind. I know I'm part of the problem. Just tell me to buck up.

I'm from Chicago, so I'm as frustrated as anyone, but I'm fortunate to still be working.

The masks piss me off. My company wants us to follow the Illinois order as written--if we can't stay more than 6' away, we're supposed to wear a mask. I don't want to spend one penny on a mask. My company still hasn't provided them so I made one out of a T-shirt. I work with a few older fellas, 65+, one 71. One of them always has a mask on and I know he's scared. I rarely have mine on but it's around my neck at the ready. When I go to the copy room and he comes in or he comes into my office and my mask is around my neck, I feel self-conscious. I can't say "fuck you" to him because I know he's scared. There would be no reasoning with him. Fear has taken over and the politicians are using fear to manipulate. There's an element of fear motivating me--I'm afraid they'll think I don't care about them. I rationalize. I want to go to Sam's Club so I put it on. The extent of my defiance is pulling my mask down the second I get out of the building.

Year V

Posts: 2672 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
I can't say "fuck you" to him because I know he's scared.
There would be no reasoning with him. Fear has taken over and the politicians are using fear to manipulate.
There's an element of fear motivating me--I'm afraid they'll think I don't care about them.

Ya think?

Freedom vs security is the battle now.

Hard to believe so many value freedom so little.

Posts: 23195 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
I kinda get a kick out of peoples reactions at the store when my unmasked ass reaches right around them for a product on the shelf. At least they can see me smile at them as I do it.

I was at the store yesterday and this lady all masked and gloved up was pretty much camped out in the middle of the aisle right in front of the items I wanted. I stood there while she took her sweet time and everyone in the aisle came to a standstill because of her. Finally I just reached around her to grab my items and loved the look of shock in her eyes and literally cringeing at seeing me so close (and no mask).

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
The latest in MI:
The Michigan Nurses Association, ... supports Whitmers use of Executive Orders to force lock down, citing the "danger" of a continued virus spread if the Governors power to lock down is curtailed.

One wonders how their members who have been laid off for lack of work feel about that?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, handful of masks in the Winn Dixie grocery store today in the FL Panhandle.

Mask wearers were the employees (mandated I bet) and some customers - typically elderly people and mostly morbidly obese white women - who would stare at you as if you were a zombie coming towards them.

No yelling, no rants, just about 8-10 of them moving briskly through the store, likely imagining themselves in "The Walking Dead" and internally congratulating themselves for their bravery.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
The latest in MI:
The Michigan Nurses Association, ... supports Whitmers use of Executive Orders to force lock down, citing the "danger" of a continued virus spread if the Governors power to lock down is curtailed.

One wonders how their members who have been laid off for lack of work feel about that?

Yet, their employers are filing suit against Whitmer for shutting down elective procedures.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/w...tml%3foutputType=amp

Meanwhile our "do what I tell you or else" governor, the one who is trying to destroy a 77 year old baber who is just trying not stay alive, ran and hid during the protest today. A protest well covered by the Michigan State Police, an agency that everyone knows tangling with will not end well.

Here is a hint, if people are so upset about your policies and decisions that that show up to a protest armed, maybe you should step back and look at what you're doing. Even if they are militia morons... Roll Eyes

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38205 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
So, how many people have been hearing all this bullshit about 40+ officers from the NYPD have died from the Wu Flu? I know I have seen/read/heard about it from no less than 100 different media outlets/Facebook, and all of the other liberal lie rags.

So who here is ready for some truth?

2020 Fallen Officers in NY State

That's all of the fallen officers from the entire Empire State for 2020.....all 5 of them. There was 1 less yesterday when I first pointed it out to some idiots on FB, but right now, the only listed death for a NYPD officer has been from 9/11 illness (cancer?)....Now, all you sheep that just gush over all the latest and greatest numbers and stats, what does that say about the truth of the matter? Pull your heads out of your assess and you just might be able to see what is happening right in front of you.

Posts: 2859 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Those are line of duty deaths, FYI.

I doubt COVID19 would be covered.

Not saying you aren't right, but that's not making your point.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
So, not only is Virginia counting every positive Covid-19 test as a case, even if it was multiple positive tests on one person, now they are including positive antibody tests as covid cases even though those tests are unreliable at best. Our scumbag Governor is doing his best to mislead Virginians.

https://www.richmond.com/news/...10-41cf33808930.html

quote:

Criticism mounts as Virginia includes 15,000 antibody results in COVID-19 testing data

Virginia’s count of COVID-19 tests to date includes results from 15,000 as-yet unreliable antibody tests, skewing the state’s testing capacity and its outlook on the spread of the virus, albeit to a small degree.

The Virginia Department of Health shared the new figures on Thursday, as it faced public criticism for muddying the state's COVID-19 data by lumping together diagnostic and antibody tests. Many of the antibody tests on the market have not been vetted by federal regulators and do not measure the current spread of the active virus, unlike the diagnostic tests used by health care facilities.

Gov. Ralph Northam, a physician, said Thursday via Twitter that he had not been aware that the two types of tests were being combined.

“[VDH] has been reporting all tests, regardless of the type of test, since the beginning of this health crisis. When I found out recently that data from all types of tests were being combined, I immediately directed that the diagnostic tests be separated out,” Northam said.

The Richmond Times-Dispatch first reported Saturday that the state was combining test data. The department faced additional pressure on Thursday, when the national news magazine The Atlantic highlighted the practice, and disputed claims by Virginia officials that many other states were also including antibody tests in their total testing counts.

Public health experts have rejected the practice of combining the results of the different tests, which they say can skew public understanding of the spread of COVID-19.

The positive rate — the share of positive results among all tests — is a key number state officials use to make decisions about restrictions. With a higher number of tests in the state’s log, Virginia’s positive rate was skewed down by a percentage point, from 15% to 14%.

Jennifer Nuzzo, an epidemiologist and public health expert at Johns Hopkins University, said the two types of tests should be separated for analyzing the spread of COVID-19.

“It is a totally different type of test, and it’s not clear what the validity of those tests are. It’s true that you can use [antibody] testing to understand what portion of the population may have been infected in the past, but you can’t understand that based on looking at the group of people that saw an ad and decided to get tested.”

In a statement Thursday, VDH said: “Antibody tests make up less than nine percent of overall tests. When these tests are removed from total results, there is minimal change in the percent positive of tests and no difference in overall trends."

Antibodies are proteins that help fight off infections, and their presence in a person’s bloodstream can signal a previous infection.

While Northam said he had not been aware of the practice, his chief of staff, Clark Mercer, and other administration officials defended the decision to combine them during a briefing with reporters Monday.

“If we’re going to be compared to all 50 states I want it to be apples to apples,” Mercer said. “It became clear other states are including serological testing. If you’re going to be comparing us to other states, and be critical of the volume of tests we are doing, and not comparing apples to apples, I think that’s grossly unfair.”

Virginia Health Secretary Dan Carey said Monday: “Without [federal] guidance, we went for as much testing as represented in the community. Going forward, we’ll look into how to untangle those.”

House Minority Leader Todd Gilbert, R-Shenandoah, said in a statement: “It’s incomprehensible that a doctor would allow the manipulation of testing data to occur.”

“Today’s story in The Atlantic amplifies what the Richmond Times-Dispatch had already reported: Doctor Northam and his team are committing malpractice with Virginia’s testing program. The Governor recently stated that ‘Virginia is in a good place.’ The Atlantic’s report contradicts that claim and undermines any faith in what’s been communicated to Virginians about testing in the commonwealth.”

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
OK, who is going to explain the glasses.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5294 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I doubt COVID19 would be covered.

Fallen Officers From the COVID-19 Pandemic

Yeah, they have a spot for that specifically. That's my point, nowhere does it list 40+ NYPD officers dead from the Wu Flu.

And for you masked morons:

Posts: 2859 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
OK, who is going to explain the glasses.

Mystery Science Theater 3000

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3350 | Location: Grapevine TX/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Happened to be in Spartanburg SC last night, and stopped in a Publix grocery store to use their facilities. They actually had hand baskets out and available for use. Don't know if they had them out the whole time, but I know the stores in NC have put them away. Oh yeah, and people were eating INSIDE restaurants. Eek

Posts: 4057 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigalert:
Much as I hate this “New Normal” crap, I’m afraid we’ve reached that point. Open vs Non-open. Safety vs Personal Responsibility. Big Government vs. Federalism. We have exposed a rift in our country that goes way past “Orange Man Bad”. I can’t see how we’ll ever go back.

I just want to be left alone. They are determined not to let that happen. They have a foothold now, more so than in decades. I will care or they will make me care. I’m not being a pessimist, just recognizing that Leftists are dehumanizing anyone who disagrees with them to justify the inevitable violence against us. We’ll have no choice but to defend ourselves. The country will split.

I wasn’t going to post this, just go for a walk. But as of yesterday, I’m required to wear a mask at all times in public (even outdoors). I’ve never practiced civil disobedience before. Now they’re making me consider it. Multiply me by 30 million or so.

Or, maybe I’ve just been cooped up too long and am over sensitive.

You're not made to do shit. Fuck 'em!

Posts: 1847 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I shook hands with someone today and I liked it.

Posts: 3541 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Hard to believe so many value freedom so little.
Why? Look at the society we live in today. Self-responsibility? You're kidding right. The educational system turns out virtual morons who no longer know how to think, so them following government mandates, whatever they are, is a given. Those of us on this board and many other like us are becoming a fading minority. But before I fade completely away, I plan to muck up the current agenda as often and as much as possible.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Re: NYPD numbers, they are counting ALL employees not just sworn officers. Do some digging, you will find out about the morbidly obese school security officers and the Janitors. Not disparaging the dead here, but I just don't see 25 year old, peak physical fitness officers listed among the dead.

It's amazing to me when I went out to Lowes and Home Depot today that most of the people wearing masks didn't look like they had bothered to shower in the last week.

Posts: 385 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post