SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 ... 1208
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
That's so sad to hear. My former partner is 86 years old with a heart condition and onset of dementia. His wife died suddenly a few months ago and he's deteriorated quickly since. So much so that his estranged daughter has stepped in with her power of attorney and removed him from his home.

He's now in a nursing home and confused. So many of his friends want to visit him but we're not allowed. He's a former tough ol' Marine. I love him like the brother I never had.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tleo205:
Many of the beaches here in N.C have opened or announced openings next week.

Not Dare County, which are the most popular beaches in NC. Still no announcement on when tourists will be allowed in. You can be on the beach, but you can't get there to do it unless you already live there.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Thank you, sir.

I am very sorry about your partner.

Not being able to be near has to be very hard for you and his other friends.

Several times she motioned for us to come closer and also to hold her hand, but she couldn't comprehend that we were not allowed to do so.

The cruel toll being taken on the innocent and the poor souls committing suicide and yet this continues.

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We went to visit my mother at the assisted living facility, through the window of her room, today. She'll be 89 in July. She's been stuck in her room since February end/ beginning March. We went the Saturday before Easter, before. She was in her bed and couldn't hear or see us. She looked more faded than before at that time, but she was much worse, today.
^^^^^
A man donated tablets to a nursing home so the residents could communicate. Instruction was provided. The police department distributed them to all the residents. I believe this took place in Florida.

Posts: 17281 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
That was very kind.

My mother is now in no condition to attempt to do something like that, but many of the other residents could benefit.

posted Hide Post
I just learned a few minutes ago that a friend of mine has passed away from the virus.

She was a member of my wife's class in school and was 78 years old. For the past ten years or so, I've attended a "coffee klatch" at a friends house on Wed and Thur mornings, nine till noon. This gal was not regular but did show up periodically. I didn't realize she was sick until just a few days ago. She was living in a nursing home.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

Prayers and the Peace of the Lord be with her.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
What in the world is going on in New Mexico?

Link

quote:
New Mexico Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham invoked the state's Riot Control Act on Friday to essentially lock down the city of Gallup after its mayor requested that she do so on Thursday. Under the act, all roads leading into Gallup are now closed off "to mitigate the uninhibited spread of COVID-19 in that city."

This kind of shit is inviting an armed insurrection. Is that what these dumb fucks are going for?

Posts: 7568 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Appears that Costco is standing by their mandatory mask order going into effect on Monday. I know some members here were talking about canceling their memberships.

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I cannot imagine the confusion and loneliness of the elderly in a nursing home that can't visit with their loved ones. It's obviously just as hard on family and friends.

Graham Ledger reported last week that the CDC has told Doctors that they may 'assume' (without an autopsy), that covid is the cause of death of elderly patients in nursing homes(?). So many deaths may be attributed to this virus when in fact an underlying natural condition is the actual cause. Not that it makes any difference in the outcome but it's stinks of politics which is frightening.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Completely reeks of politics, sir!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
The government will say that is a staffing issue. Not enough rangers available if you get in trouble. Regular maintenance is another. The National Parks are run out of DC and that is part of the problem. I used to work for the National Park Service so I have some idea.
I know the conditions at the Grand Canyon are different than the Smokies.

I appreciate the answer but I would not buy that argument from them. Have any of the federal park service or forestry service actually been laid off? I have not heard. Part of the area is Pisgah National Forest and part not, as well as part Appalachian Trail. Either way there are some private places to camp that were forced to close and in all the years I've been up there I have yet to see any state or federal park rangers. I would actually be satisfied to just be able to put up my tent and relax by a river away from all the idiots here locally.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
I had thought that if I were going to be sent home (furloughed), I'd go home to NM, then load up and go over and get lost in the desert (southern UT) for a while.

No, I can't even primitive/ dispersed camp there, where I'd be miles from the nearest person, alone. Where BLM doesn't even patrol.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3302 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by k5blazer:
I am not a big fan of the little tyrant New Mexico Governor but in this case I agree with her. I think she is a little late in shutting down Gallup but she should also shut down the entire New Mexico side of the Navajo Reservation. The governor of Arizona should shut down their side. The virus is running rampant on the reservation. The Navajo nation has large chunks with no running water, no sanitation infrastructure, crowded living conditions and horrid personal hygiene. They come in to Gallup for supplies and congregate. Even before Covid, I was always hesitant to stop in Gallup. At most restaurants you need to get a key to use the restrooms cause they get trashed out. The reservation is large and some ‘bands’ are located away from the main reservation. It’s a big problem.

Unfortunately I find myself in agreement. The Rez has become a hotspot for the virus. In Arizona they make up 3% of the population but account for 30% of the infections. Lots of reasons; lack of sanitation, lack of education and an unwillingness to comply with requests to self isolate. We're talking about an area that still has active cases of TB. Towns like Gallup on the edge of the Rez attract the natives like a mosquitoes to a bug zapper. So because of what's happening on the Rez, people on the bordering towns are made to suffer the consequences.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11784 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Texas State University announced today that they would resume in person on campus classes with the start of the second summer session. Other Texas schools have announcednplans to resume face to face instruction in the fall.

https://www.statesman.com/news...erson-classes-july-6

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
This sums up the state of Pennsylvania right now and our SHITHEAD DICTATOR DICKHEAD of a Governor:

Posts: 33889 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Must be true.

Reads like something out of Monty Python.

Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Your dickhead must have learned from our dickhead. Mad

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
We’ve had mandatory face mask wear in PA since 4/15 at grocery stores, big box stores, convenience stores etc.

My poor MIL who is just as sweet as can be got SCREAMED at on Friday by some fucking shrew for the crime of walking to her car and pulling off her mask while leaving the grocery store, and this woman who was over 12 feet away is yelling at her to get it back on and go back off, that she’s too close. Mind you this shrew was coming AT my mother in law who was leaving.

My wife and I took our little boys to one of a few open places to walk and get some fresh air, a walking/running trail and all these people running and biking BY THEMSELVES out in the open with no one near them are wearing masks! WTF, sheep?

This pandemic is bringing out the worst in people. Confused

Posts: 33889 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Pennsylvania Plan:

Posts: 17281 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post