SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 ... 1209
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Are you guys reading any of these "executive orders"? They are so full of holes that swiss cheese looks modestly dressed...

These governors and mayors know they are at the very fringe of any constitutional powers and the executive orders reflect that. Most of them don't even state the relevant state or local code that they are using to justify it.

Our local county put right on their main page that they do not have the legal authority to declare any kind of shelter in place. Then, indirectly, they say they sure wish they had the power... (something to watch out for in state legislatures).

This is all to scare the weak minded in to staying home. Do I think it is a good idea to isolate yourself as much as possible? Yes, but do not tell me what I can and cannot do... Unless you can back it up in a court of law.

The next town over just released their shelter in place decree a few minutes ago. It takes effect at midnight. IN the first 4 or 5 sentences it says that it applies to all residents of the city and their guests.

I'm no longer a resident there so I guess it doesn't apply to me.

man oh man...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
Not judging but just curious how many of you think you will be lifelong germaphobes after this is "over"? It's probably never going to disappear even though it will become much less prolific.

Germaphobe? No.

Will I become a full prepper/hoarder? Maybe.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17478 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is causing Louisiana to have the highest rate of COVID acceleration in the world? What is specific to this environment causing this?

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:
Now we get to see what COVID-19 does in a nation with poor air quality, poor medical care (generally), and poor sanitation.
Re India:
You mean that's not, to some extent, China?

Been to both.

China looks like a Sierra Club Model City compared to India.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31506 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by midwest guy:
What is causing Louisiana to have the highest rate of COVID acceleration in the world? What is specific to this environment causing this?

Just a quick look at the 1.3acres site shows multiple states with a higher percentage increase in infections today. Louisiana did have a pretty big spike in deaths today with 11. New Orleans may lead the world in obesity and diabetes though, so there is that. They are showing a 3.3% death rate which is well above the national average but below several other states.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by midwest guy:

Mardi Gras was just 4 weeks ago. Very large gatherings of people densely packed together.

Posts: 542 | Registered: April 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mardi Gras was just 4 weeks ago. Very large gatherings of people densely packed together.

That's a very good point.

On the plus side, a quick look at the 1.3acres site shows new cases in Washington State continue to level off.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24192 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:
Now we get to see what COVID-19 does in a nation with poor air quality, poor medical care (generally), and poor sanitation.
Re India:
You mean that's not, to some extent, China?

Been to both.

China looks like a Sierra Club Model City compared to India.

I think that India and Bangladesh will have a pretty rough ride the next 30 days. Social distancing is not going to happen, no way.

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1738 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
This will of no surprise to many here....

I have an employee whose wife is possibly exposed to C19 and is exhibiting symptoms.

Today he gave me an update, his wife spoke tot her PCP and another Dr. in the practice who told her they suggest not getting tested. The Dr. stressed the tests were being saved for medical personnel.

I totally get that at this point, a test doesn't help them treat the symptoms.

But it does confirm what many articles have suggested....the confirmed count is no where near true.

That being said, here in NTX the stores were calm with plenty of meat and fresh tortillas...
No TP though

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
The port of New Orleans services the following cruise ship lines: Carnival, Norwegian, Disney, and Royal Caribbean, in addition to being a large container port and more.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
The port of New Orleans services the following cruise ship lines: Carnival, Norwegian, Disney, and Royal Caribbean.

I had no idea, thanks

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
Walmart has their own 'Walmart Pay' which is contactless. Just get the app on your phone, and away you go. It stores all your receipts and purchases on the phone. No need to touch a thing at the check out.

No. Fracking. Way. Not today. Not tomorrow. Not ever.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Well this just hit home for me. One of my best friends lives in rural NC, I thought he might be isolated enough, but he's been potentially exposed. He is has some comorbidities as well as his wife, who has major heart condition.

He called me today concerned. His stupid ass adult live at home son's GF visited her dad last week in Chesapeake VA, and he was diagnosed today. She's been in their house since, and I assume intimate with the son. He asked me what to do. I told him I'm no doctor, and in no position to advise him but gave him what I would do if I were him.

GF is banned from property. Son stays in workshop (heated and powered) for next two weeks, supper left at workshop door for him. I urged him to talk to wife and implement, no clue if they will, the wife let's the boy (now 22 y/o man) run wild and do whatever he wants.

I really hope this little shithead doesn't infect my buddy. I really fear either or both of them won't survive.

I checked 1point3acres site and saw what I assume was the dad's case listed in new cases. It's not fair he should be isolated from this in the sticks. Luckily there is one or two degrees of separation here, hopefully they don't have to deal with this, I couldn't imagine what he's thinking about tonight.

Hopefully unnecessary, but please say a prayer for him tonight. His name is Steven and hers is Frankie.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20885 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Walmart has their own 'Walmart Pay' which is contactless. Just get the app on your phone, and away you go. It stores all your receipts and purchases on the phone. No need to touch a thing at the check out.

Sorry, just trying to help. Big Grin I've used it for years without issue.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I assume you all saw this: Atlanta ICUs are already at capacity.

https://www.thestate.com/news/article241460481.html

I don't ever recall this happening with a bug such as the flu. (Not saying it didn't; I just don't recall it). This thing is so much worse than the flu.

This is also what the experts have been telling us about why we need to flatten the curve. Not enough capacity to treat the infected.

Yet so many people are calling for the stay-in-place orders to be lifted. We are nowhere near there yet.

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TAllen01:
I assume you all saw this: Atlanta ICUs are already at capacity.

https://www.thestate.com/news/article241460481.html

I don't ever recall this happening with a bug such as the flu. (Not saying it didn't; I just don't recall it). This thing is so much worse than the flu.

This is also what the experts have been telling us about why we need to flatten the curve. Not enough capacity to treat the infected.

Yet so many people are calling for the stay-in-place orders to be lifted. We are nowhere near there yet.

Did you even read the article or just say fuck it and go straight to panic mode? ICU’s in ALBANY Georgia are at capacity, not ATLANTA. Albany is 2+ hours (almost 3) south of Atlanta and has very limited numbers of ICU beds.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3983 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

It's actually a great app.

I can still go back and see exactly what I purchased a year ago, even with pictures!

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30499 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TAllen01:

Yes, we are there now. Stop this bullshit now.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30499 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Picked up groceries from Walmart’s grocery app yesterday and was a no touch transaction without Walmart pay.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:

Did you even read the article or just say fuck it and go straight to panic mode? ICU’s in ALBANY Georgia are at capacity, not ATLANTA. Albany is 2+ hours (almost 3) south of Atlanta and has very limited numbers of ICU beds.

Yes, I did. Sorry, typed Atlanta (the byline) instead of Albany. I stand corrected. A different city is at capacity for ICU beds.

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post