SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 ... 1212
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
How does coronavirus kill? Clinicians trace a ferocious rampage through the body, from brain to toes.

A long detailed Science journal article that amplifies much of what was discussed in The Wall Street Journal article I posted some time ago. The article describes the serious effects the COVID-19 disease virus can have on many parts of the body, and not only the lungs.

LINK

I don't understand how this disease attacks the body through so many avenues attacking some people here, some people there, as well as people's different reactions. Some fend it off like a cold, some are hit like a flu, and some are hospitalized. It makes no sense whatsoever.

Also the other puzzling thing is what exactly is going on in NYC? 'It’s not something I’ve ever seen in my life’: Hampstead medical professional works front lines at NYC hospital. Why are they so hard hit, but other major cities are not. I get it's a major international hub and over crowded, but there has to be some other factor people are missing? Especially considering how long NYC has been locked down, why hasn't the new cases and deaths dropped faster. I understand that there is a lag time from infection to symptoms to hospitalizations to deaths. It seems the amount of lock down would have resulted by now in a sharp decline not just a flattening of the curve?

Why does it present itself with so many faces? Different symptoms, different outcomes across regions, with no underlying thing to tie it to.

Lastly I think all these millions of tests being produced should be sent to NYC and test everyone in the city to find out what the actual infection rate is. If we find 80% of city is infected vs 5 or 10% it would change how we attack this and how we move forward. If NYC is at 80% what would the argument against opening it up? The damage may already be done vs getting ready to happen.

This shit is all so confusing, why can't the 'experts' figure it out yet?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20928 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Law of Unintended Consequences. Everyone was so focused on flattening the curve to prevent the health care system from collapsing, they apparently failed to anticipate that it could collapse financially under the restrictions designed to save it.

What happens when the hospitals can no longer pay the staff tending to the COVID patients? Ask them to work for free? Shut down?

https://www.clickondetroit.com...effects-of-covid-19/

Which was preceded by closing and entire hospital in that system shortly before.

https://www.wxyz.com/news/coro...ncerns-among-leaders

Tin Foil Hat Mode Engaged

So could it be the result that some people want, bog down health care, bankrupt it, so the only thing big enough to save it is government.....

Tin Foil Hat off...

Posts: 23779 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
So could it be the result that some people want, bog down health care, bankrupt it, so the only thing big enough to save it is government.....

And Cloward-Piven the entire economy while we're at it!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24303 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Why does it present itself with so many faces? Different symptoms, different outcomes across regions, with no underlying thing to tie it to.

The tying link is the immune system. For most people, a viral infection triggers an immune system response, the main counter-assault being the massive production of killer proteins called "cytokines". In most cases, the immune system is shut down when the war is won and the enemy is dead. Is a certain percentage of patients, a cease-fire is never called, and the war rages on against an invisible enemy that is no longer a threat.

It is this lingering "cytokine storm" that rips apart the body of a serious coronavirus victim. The body is held to high alert, draining vital energy and causing deep fatigue and myalgia. The cytokines begin attacking the various organ systems, which explains why different people are killed differently. In a twisted conclusion, it is not the virus that kills, but the body's own response to it.

Is there an interesting analogy to how pandemic response is doing more damage to the world than the actual disease?

(The Chronic Fatigue System I've suffered for 40+ years works in a very similar way. Why I know so much about it.)

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16504 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
Got a text from a long time friend, my best man at my (2ND) wedding. He lives in SW FL> Wife is a retired NICU nurse. His daughter is a surgical nurse at a surgery center, currently not working.

Son in law is a EMS Battalion Commander. Had to send a rig out a few days ago on 911 call. Upon arrival, crew finds a couple, both admitting to Covid symptoms. This was not told to 911 call center when the couple called.

Couple admitted to testing positive in New York and deciding to fly to FL as they did not want to get sick in NY.

Disgusting!

Posts: 1241 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tleo205:
Well, the WHO has come out and settled the matter. The Wuhan virus came from a bat and not a lab. I'm satisfied, aren't You?
Since this liar and his group feel it necessary to come out with this now, after all the lies and coverups they have been proven to be guilty of....this had to have been released from a CCP bio-warfare lab. The real question is whether accidental or on purpose.

Agreed - this didn't just hatch in a bat - it's a biolab/bioweapon SNAFU. The WHO is FOS - and considering the WHO was in WUHAN at the Biolab in October conducting another Bill Gates 201 end of the world pandemic exercise - they should have been well prepared and trained to get their hands around this a few weeks later.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the the subway and bus systems have contributed to NY’s high rate of illness? Not practical for most to drive a car. Public transportation is crowded, close and jammed.

Suspect lots of disease could have been spread in the subways prior to the shutdown.

No other cities rely so much on public transportation.

Posts: 1617 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Couple admitted to testing positive in New York and deciding to fly to FL as they did not want to get sick in NY.
Ummm, why didn't NY enforce a quarantine on them? Inquiring minds, and junk... Roll Eyes

Yes, sarcasm.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6256 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Suspect lots of disease could have been spread in the subways prior to the shutdown.
I'm actually starting to believe this is one of the major factors, actually.

Based on our analysis Tribeca is the Manhattan neighborhood where residents are most likely to have a car. But even still, only 36% of households have cars. That pales in comparison to the US as a whole, where nearly 95% of the population have cars.

I don't believe there is a metro area in the entire country that relies more heavily on mass transit than the greater metro CT/NY/NJ/MA/MD region. Subway, buses, trains, whatever.

NRA Benefactor

Posts: 6256 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
So my wife said that elective surgeries at her hospital will be reopened on Thursday at 25% capacity and slowly begin opening it back up again.

Good news, for sure!

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5447 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yesterday I saw a presser from Michigan Lt. Governor Gilchrist (think mini Obama) where he claimed that 40% of MI. C-19 cases were in black communities. And went on to congratulate the administration for "tracking" this trend.
So now the virus is.... Racist!
And of course we now have a Corona Virus Task Force on Racial Disparities.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16223 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I don't understand how this disease attacks the body through so many avenues attacking some people here, some people there, as well as people's different reactions. Some fend it off like a cold, some are hit like a flu, and some are hospitalized. It makes no sense whatsoever.

As the article posted above by Sigfreund went into, the thinking now is the virus attacks the biology of vascular system. This is why symptoms show up in different parts of the anatomy.

quote:
Also the other puzzling thing is what exactly is going on in NYC?

NYC kind of presented the perfect storm for the virus. Dense population with people packed on top of each other somewhat negates quarantine. The subway system also provided a means of transportation for the virus. They also went into lockdown after the virus had already started to spread. NYC had visitors from europe that brought the infection over. This is a later mutated C strain as opposed to the earlier A strain from Asia that is what most of the west coast is seeing.

I'm also skeptical of some of the data coming out of New York. I think they're playing games with the data to cover for themselves. Over the past 10 years 20 hospitals have closed in NYC due to the Affordable Health Care Act and state budget cuts. Roughly 20,000 hospital beds have been lost due to the cuts. Would the healthcare system have been overwhelmed in NYC if these hospitals were still open? Would the death toll be lower if these hospitals were still open? I don't know, but blaming everything on the new pandemic provides them cover for what they have done.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11823 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BOATTRASH1:
Got a text from a long time friend, my best man at my (2ND) wedding. He lives in SW FL> Wife is a retired NICU nurse. His daughter is a surgical nurse at a surgery center, currently not working.

Son in law is a EMS Battalion Commander. Had to send a rig out a few days ago on 911 call. Upon arrival, crew finds a couple, both admitting to Covid symptoms. This was not told to 911 call center when the couple called.

Disgusting!

This is the sort of blatant selfish act that gives the iron handed governor's reason to tighten their grip.

I wonder how many people these idiots infected along the way.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38060 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder how many people these idiots infected along the way.
I've been told that 2 of the 3 deaths in my neighboring county were contact spreads by visitors from NYC, 4 weeks ago, after NY locked down the week prior...

NRA Benefactor

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Yesterday I saw a presser from Michigan Lt. Governor Gilchrist (think mini Obama) where he claimed that 40% of MI. C-19 cases were in black communities. And went on to congratulate the administration for "tracking" this trend.
So now the virus is.... Racist!
And of course we now have a Corona Virus Task Force on Racial Disparities.

Well, 76% of the people in Detroit who died from COVID-19 were black. This goes against Gilchrist's assertion since the population of Detroit 80% black.

Posts: 11203 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BOATTRASH1:

Disgusting!

Are they Florida residents? What county? All the NY cases in my county are/were Florida residents.

Posts: 11203 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
We had loads of New Yorkers coming up to CT to flee the city. I'm sure that's part of the reason we've got so many cases here. RI actually had their State Troopers on I95 on the CT/RI border for a while, stopping cars with NY plates.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16576 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:

The subway system also provided a means of transportation for the virus. They also went into lockdown after the virus had already started to spread. NYC had visitors from europe that brought the infection over. This is a later mutated C strain as opposed to the earlier A strain from Asia that is what most of the west coast is seeing.

Where I live (outside DC) there are similar circumstances. While not as reliant on Metro as NYC is on the Subway, 1/2 the people or more commuting into the city come in on Metro rail or Metro bus and the system is like a wagon wheel around the city. You'd think DC and close surrounding metro area would have tons of cases, but there are only 27,000 confirmed cases in MD, VA, and DC, with only 3,000 in DC. Seems we'd be hit pretty hard too?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20928 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yes yes, should have been far worse... the experts are stumped by the real life occurrences...

Funny too that I'm sure lots of DC workers are 'essential', with lots of gubbiment workers on the teat... so they 'should' have more exposure, hence more cases...

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Goddamned carpetbaggers still making trouble down here, after 150 years.

Posts: 108210 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post