SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 ... 1212
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I still see several NY and NJ tags on I-81 heading south through WV. They’re not done fleeing but they’ve been spreading it south since the beginning.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15701 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Tar and feathers are called for but the damn Yankees are infectious, so we don't want to manhandle 'em.

What we need is a tar hose and a feather cannon

Posts: 108185 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.washingtonexaminer...sses-begin-to-reopen

Colorado residents will take their first step back toward normalcy after Gov. Jared Polis said he would allow his stay-at-home order to expire next week.

The state had been sheltering at home since March 26 because of the coronavirus pandemic. While many states have extended their social distancing orders, Polis announced that he would allow the order to expire as planned on Monday.

“As it rolls off April 27, we need to figure out how to run the marathon now that we’ve run the sprint,” he said. “I hate to break it to you, but the easy part was the sprint.”

He added, “We can’t lose sight of the fact that our job isn’t finished. Your job isn’t finished. Not by a long shot."

The decision will allow "retail curbside delivery" for all stores starting on Monday, while many other retailers, such as hair salons, will be allowed to resume business on May 1 with proper social distancing policies in place. Elective surgeries will also be allowed to resume on Monday.

Large workplaces can reopen on May 4 at 50% capacity. Businesses were urged to track employees' temperatures and symptoms to ensure that workers are healthy. Bars and restaurants could open by mid-May, but Polis said he would wait and consult public health officials before taking that step.

Posts: 19674 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
I still see several NY and NJ tags on I-81 heading south through WV. They’re not done fleeing but they’ve been spreading it south since the beginning.

They're here, too. Way fewer NY plates around my burb outside Philly than normal, but they stand out all the more now. Literally see no NJ or DE plates like I normally do, but there are still NY plates. I think one or two have fled and taken up residence with relatives in the neighborhood I walk in.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BOATTRASH1:
Couple admitted to testing positive in New York and deciding to fly to FL as they did not want to get sick in NY.

Disgusting!

There was a joke a while back about North Korea's infection rate.

10:02am Coronavirus postives - 1
10:03am Coronavirus positives - 0
11:45am Coronavirus postives - 1
11:46am Coronavirus positives - 0

Etc, etc. The joke being that as soon as someone tested positive Kim Jung had them shot.

This couple should be sent to North Korea.

Posts: 2326 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I'm in southwest Florida and every 5th plate on the road is a car from New York. GO THE FUCK HOME!!

Posts: 6681 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Couple admitted to testing positive in New York and deciding to fly to FL as they did not want to get sick in NY.

How ironic...

https://youtu.be/sf1udf-L98E

Forward to 2:40 and try not to puke.

Posts: 10057 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Military Times article.

=========================

The fatality rate among Veterans Affairs patients continues to rise, with an significantly higher percentage of veterans stricken with the illness eventually succumbing to the disease then in the rest of the general public.

As of Tuesday morning, at least 357 patients in VA care have died from the virus. That figure is up 18 from Monday morning and continues a steady rise in deaths from the fast-spreading sickness, which has killed nearly 40,000 individuals nationwide.

So far, 68 VA facilities across the country have lost at least one patient to the illness.

The New York City area alone accounts for more than one-third of those fatalities. Four VA sites near the metropolitan area — including East Orange, N.J. — have totaled 128 deaths, all in just the last few weeks.

The death rate among VA patients who have contracted the virus is nearly 6.5 percent, a figure that has risen steadily over the last three weeks. In early April, fewer than 4 percent of patients battling the illness eventually died from it.

Nationally, the rate of death among all patients who test positive for coronavirus is about 5 percent, a mark which has also risen from about 4 percent in early April, according to data released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The VA patient population being tested and treated for coronavirus may be more vulnerable to the illness because it is significantly older and less healthy than the American population as a whole. Medical experts have said that elderly and infirm individuals are particularly susceptible to fatal respiratory issues connected to the virus.

Total cases in the VA system rose to 5,588 by Tuesday morning, up more than 1,300 from one week earlier. One month ago, VA reported only 130 cases.

The department’s medical center in New Orleans continues to have the most active coronavirus cases, with 446. The Bronx VA medical center is the only other one with more than 400 cases.

To date, 129 VA hospitals and health care facilities have recorded at least one case of coronavirus.

Until last week, VA had been reporting the approximate age of all department deaths as well as the number of coronavirus tests administered to patients. However, that information is no longer being made public.

In addition, more than 1,500 VA employees have tested positive for coronavirus in the last month, and at least 14 have died. VA officials have said only a few of those individuals had direct contact with patients.

Union officials and department leaders have sparred publicly in recent weeks over the availability of personal protective equipment at VA facilities. Employee advocates have reported shortages and rationing among staff, but VA leaders have continually insisted that supplies are adequate to meet needs.

Late last week, Richard Stone — the executive in charge of the Veterans Health Administration — sent a message to staff promising that all employees in a community living center, spinal cord injury unit or inpatient mental health unit will receive one mask a day to help limit exposure to the illness.

The message for the first time also acknowledged that those employees had been asked to severely limit their use of new masks and re-use protective equipment in an attempt to preserve supplies.

Leo Shane III

LINK

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47488 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
And medics have previously warned farts contain tiny poo particles that can spread bacteria.

I wear a mask to prevent this... it's called underwear.
Will we now have underwear checks before we enter a store? Eek

Does this mean no more going commando? Shit! Wink

Posts: 6961 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.breitbart.com/nati...g-kits-contaminated/

Scientists at the University of Washington School of Medicine (UWM) reportedly discarded tens of thousands of Chinese-produced coronavirus testing kits after they discovered last week that some of them showed signs of contamination.

The saga began this month after a local businesswoman employed a Chinese associate to export tens of thousands of testing kits from a Shanghai factory to the United States, according to the Tribune News Agency. UWM spent a sizeable $125,000 on securing the kits, which were flown to America on an Amazon-chartered plane.

After using the kits to ramp up testing across Seattle, which some scientists say is the key to containing the pandemic, a decision was taken last week to stop using all the kits, as some showed signs of contamination.

“I’ve just recommended everyone who has these things pause and not use them at all,” said Geoff Baird, the interim chair of the University of Washington Department of Laboratory Medicine, who helped secure their purchase

The issue was reportedly first identified on April 16, when Baird’s colleague noticed that the liquid in some of the vials had changed color, an indication of bacterial growth. Laboratory tests later confirmed the presence of the bacteria Stenotrophomonas maltophilia inside the contaminated samples.

Baird said he did not expect any harm to patients because the bacteria appeared in parts of the testing kit that patients are not exposed to.

Posts: 19674 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Tar and feathers are called for but the damn Yankees are infectious, so we don't want to manhandle 'em.

We don’t want them up here either boss, but there ain’t no stopping them. Confused

Posts: 2585 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
If you've taken your blood pressure medicine for the day, watch this. Count the lies, it's disgusting.

Response to Senate deal and Trump's efforts in the Coronavirus situation.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/Vvz6jKw4vls

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20928 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Coronavirus Outbreak In U.S. On Track To Be Less Severe Than This Year’s Seasonal Flu...

https://www.oann.com/coronavir...-years-seasonal-flu/

I’m shocked, shocked I tell ya.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3988 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Last time you all played with cannons against us it didn't work out so well Big Grin Joking.

Now I'm running away like the Yankees in 1861..

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:

Disgusting!

Are they Florida residents? What county? All the NY cases in my county are/were Florida residents.

I gave all the info I have except the county it happened in. I’ll say south of Bradenton.

Posts: 1241 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Harvard law professor, Elizabeth Bartholet, believes that homeschooling can be 'dangerous' because it gives parents authoritarian control over their children.

Read full article: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...oling-dangerous.html

I wonder if she really listened to herself while saying this.

Parents having control over their children is bad; but giving the state control over your children is good.

“Give me four years to teach the children and the seed I have sown will never be uprooted.” Vladimir Lenin

Mad

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2730 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
If our hospitals are laying off workers, we're doing this wrong!! Eek

WEST READING, Pa. - The ongoing COVID-19 crisis has prompted Tower Health to begin furloughing approximately 1,000 of its full-time employees, the Berks County-based health network announced Tuesday.

Tower Health said the furloughed workers fill a range of support, administrative, and technical roles across the seven-hospital system, with clinical staff involved in the direct care of coronavirus patients not being impacted.

"This decision has been extremely difficult," Therese Sucher, Tower Health's executive vice president and chief operating officer, said in a memo to employees. "Every employee at Tower Health is critical to fulfilling our promise of Advancing Health. Transforming Lives, and we regret that these extraordinary circumstances have forced us to take these measures."

The furloughs come amid the pandemic's significant impact on healthcare providers across the country, including Tower Health, which said it has experienced a 40% to 50% decline in revenue, along with increased expenses related to its COVID-19 response.

Tower Health said it has had to suspend all non-urgent and elective services; close many of its outpatient facilities, departments, and clinics; and postpone many internal projects to allocate resources to virus-related needs.

The health network detailed a number of steps it is taking to support the furloughed workers:

Impacted employees will have access to all their accrued earned time off (ETO) and income protection time (IPT) that can be used during the furlough period.
For furloughed employees covered under a Tower Health benefits plan, coverage will be maintained during the furlough period.
Furloughed employees may be placed into a system-wide labor pool and offered alternative work assignments based on their experience and skillset as needs within the organization arise.
Tower Health will not contest any employee's application for unemployment benefits, as long as the employee remains available for recall and does not turn down a work assignment(s).
"We understand how difficult furlough may be for our impacted employees and their families," Sucher continued in her memo. "We do believe this furlough will be temporary and we look forward to the return of regular operations as soon as is safely possible."

Tower Health has seven acute-care hospitals in its system, including the flagship Reading Hospital in West Reading and Pottstown Hospital in Montgomery County.

Tower Health - Reading Hospital in West Reading
Matt Roth | 69 News
The health network has long been one of Berks County's largest employers, alternating with East Penn Manufacturing for the top spot. As of 2019, it employed 7,592 people in Berks, according to the Greater Reading Chamber Alliance. That number represents more than half the health network's workforce.
Tower Health Lays off 1000

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2049 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
quote:

How ironic...

https://youtu.be/sf1udf-L98E

Forward to 2:40 and try not to puke.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="408" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sf1udf-L98E" width="725"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

From the Lansing State Journal, a Gannett paper in our state Capitol,April 16th, in answer to Behar's comment about the protesters blocking traffic to a hospital, AKA Sparrow Hospital.

"Many state Democrats, including Sen. Curtis Hertel, D-East Lansing, Rep. Leslie Love, D-Detroit, and Rep. Christine Greig, D-Farmington Hills, expressed concerns about the protest on Twitter, saying it was blocking ambulances and putting people's lives at risk.

But both the Lansing Fire Department and Sparrow Health Systems said they didn't experience any major delays from the protest.

Lansing Fire Department Assistant Chief Mike Tobin said while the ambulances were slowed down because of the congestion, crews told him it was no worse than a heavy day in rush hour.

When an ambulance sped toward Sparrow with lights and sirens on, traffic got out of the way, Tobin said. In one photo that appeared to show an ambulance stuck in traffic on Grand Avenue and Washtenaw Street, Tobin said the ambulance did not have a patient on board.

John Foren, spokesperson for Sparrow Hospital, said some hospital staff were late to work because of the protest, forcing others to cover for them. He did not have a number of employees who were late, but said he believed they were isolated cases."

Maybe she needs to get her facts right before she opens up her mouth.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8230 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Democrats don't need no stinkin' facts. Facts are too inconvenient to their narrative.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16576 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read a white paper tonight from a bio-pharma research service I’ve subscribed to for years. The short version is finding an effective vaccine within 18 months is the equivalent of hitting the bullseye on a dart board from 24 feet.

Also the hydroxyQ small study from the VA is very discouraging without going into details. That being said I still believe that preliminary results from Fuji film and Gilead science look encouraging.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post