SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 ... 1210
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Either this poll is pure gaslighting by the godawful Yahoo News, or we truly are a nation full of brainwashed sheep.

Yahoo News/YouGov coronavirus poll: Most Americans reject anti-lockdown protests
https://news.yahoo.com/yahoo-n...tests-124259347.html

An overwhelming majority of Americans, Republicans included, are rejecting right-wing protests — encouraged by President Trump — to immediately “reopen” the country in the midst of the world’s largest and deadliest coronavirus outbreak, according to a new Yahoo News/YouGov poll.

The survey, conducted April 17 to April 19, found that a full 60 percent of the public opposes the largely pro-Trump protesters whose calls for governors to “liberate” their states by lifting lockdown measures have attracted intense media attention in recent days — and whose message the president amplified Friday in a series of all-caps “LIBERATE” tweets about three swing states: Minnesota, Michigan and Virginia.

Only 22 percent of Americans say they support the protesters. Despite Trump’s messaging, even Republicans oppose the protests 47 percent to 36 percent. Asked whether they agree or disagree with Trump’s “LIBERATE” tweets, only a quarter of Americans say they agree.

The total number of protesters may be small. But the public’s dismissive attitude toward them reflects a deeper sentiment: Americans strongly disagree with those who claim the country is ready to reopen for business.

The margins aren’t close. Seventy-one percent of Americans — and 56 percent of Republicans — say they are more concerned about lifting the coronavirus restrictions too quickly than lifting them too slowly. Only 29 percent of Americans say the opposite. The same number (71 percent) say they want public health officials “to be fully able to test and trace new cases and outbreaks” before reopening; only 29 percent say they want the country to reopen “as soon as possible to prevent further economic damage.” And more than twice as many Americans say the U.S. is not conducting enough coronavirus testing to track future outbreaks of the virus (52 percent) than say it is (22 percent).

As a result, a mere 13 percent of Americans think their own community will be ready to reopen by May 1, the date Trump has been pushing for weeks. Only 7 percent say the U.S. as a whole will be ready to reopen by then. Eighty-one percent of all adults (and 74 percent of Republicans) believe that the virus will be a “serious problem” for them and their community for two months or more, and three-quarters of Americans (77 percent) say the entire country will not be ready to reopen until at least June. Nearly half (48 percent) say the U.S. will not be ready to reopen until July 1 or later.

The reason, according to the poll, is that nearly 90 percent of Americans think a resurgence of coronavirus cases would be either “very” (51 percent) or “somewhat” likely (36 percent) if lockdown ended today. Overall, 79 percent continue to say that stay-at-home orders are “the only way to stop the spread of COVID-19”; only 21 percent say “the cure is worse than the disease.” Trump has tweeted about the lockdowns: “THE CURE CANNOT BE WORSE (by far) THAN THE PROBLEM!” In deciding when to reopen, far more Americans say the U.S. should pay attention to doctors and public health officials (56 percent) than to economists and business leaders (7 percent); 37 percent want both consulted equally. Health, not the economy, comes first.

Trump did not fare well in the poll. A plurality of Americans — 49 percent to 45 percent — disapprove of the way the president has handled the pandemic. But that’s consistent with previous Yahoo News/YouGov polls. More telling were the specific questions about responsibility and trust. Fifty-nine percent of Americans rate their state and local government’s coronavirus response as “excellent” or “good”; only 48 percent of those who’ve heard from Trump in the last week say the same about him. Nearly half of Americans (49 percent) say they trust their governor more than the president to handle the pandemic; only a quarter (26 percent) say the opposite. Nearly three out of four Americans (74 percent) say their governor should decide when their state should reopen. Just 13 percent want Trump to make that decision. And even though Trump has argued otherwise, more than half of Americans (52 percent) say the federal government — rather than individual states (31 percent) — should be responsible for ramping up testing in the weeks ahead.

Overall, 65 percent of Americans say that Trump could have reduced the damage done by the coronavirus — either “a lot” (41 percent) or “somewhat” (24 percent) — if he had acted sooner.

In keeping with that finding, most Americans seem to take the long view in terms of transitioning out of lockdown. Two-thirds of Americans (67 percent), independents (66 percent) and Republicans (64 percent) say they will continue to practice social distancing even after official restrictions are lifted; just 13 percent of Americans say they will not.

Asked about specific social distancing measures, a large majority (72 percent) supports continuing to stay 6 feet away from other people whenever possible. Roughly half also support wearing cloth masks in public (50 percent), requiring restaurant waiters to wear masks and gloves (47 percent) and suspending large events like concerts and conferences (54 percent).

Meanwhile, a full 57 percent of Americans said they would support being repeatedly and regularly tested for the coronavirus in order to limit its spread after lockdown ends, and a plurality (39 percent) said they would install a smartphone app (like the one floated by Apple and Google) that would allow them to anonymously alert people who’ve been near them if they test positive for the virus — while also allowing them to be alerted if they’ve been close to someone else who tests positive. Both measures are key elements of the “test-trace-isolate” strategy that experts and epidemiologists have proposed for containing future coronavirus outbreaks.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30528 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost...s-aid-033517131.html

Harvard University, already supported by a massive $41 billion endowment, is getting nearly $9 million in taxpayer aid from the federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act, the U.S. Department of Education announced.

Under the terms of the payout from CARES’ Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund, at least half of the $8.7 million earmarked for Harvard must be reserved for emergency financial grants to students, according to the Harvard Crimson, which was the first to report the aid.

But at least some of that money — which could be used to cover tuition payments and course materials — would also end up in Harvard coffers. The funds would also likely be spent on extra technology, food and housing costs that students incurred amid “disruptions in their education” due to COVID-19, according to CARES provisions.

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

if you are going to Harvard, you don't need my tax dollars

Posts: 19640 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
^^^ That's some fine writing right there, holy shit. The questions are biased, then further they twisted the article to say things that the survey didn't even ask.

quote:
The survey, conducted April 17 to April 19, found that a full 60 percent of the public opposes the largely pro-Trump protesters whose calls for governors to “liberate” their states by lifting lockdown measures have attracted intense media attention in recent days

In the old days if you were going to write an article such as this it would be in the EDITORIAL section of the newspaper. This is not journalism, it's propaganda, at least label it editorial.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20910 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That poll is garbage...just more anti Trump crap from an organization that has opposed him from the start. They get the answers they want by the way a question is asked/worded

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
and from the people they poll.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38037 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
decisions to open parts of the country should be made on a location by location basis and by doing a risk assessment

there are large areas of the country that are relatively unaffected, and could easily open up and get back to doing business with precautions

there are areas that should be walled off and filled with water

the problem is that the mental midgets running the show insist on a one-size fits all solution to a wildly varying landscape and thats what pissing the people off who are actually intelligent enough to do some critical thinking

I still don't believe anything thats been presented in the main stream media - they've been lying to us for 15 years, what proof do we have that they aren't still doing it?

Posts: 53318 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tleo205:
That poll is garbage...just more anti Trump crap from an organization that has opposed him from the start. They get the answers they want by the way a question is asked/worded

Yup, unsurprisingly the media has turned this into a "MAGA crowd vs. the world" scenario. I know plenty of non-Trump supporters who think this lockdown is ridiculous.

And the effect this has is apparent - for any fence sitters who don't like Trump, they are going to be pushed into the "keep it shutdown" crowd.

If only the sheep could see it.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Don't believe ANYTHING that yahoo news/huffington post prints. They're blatantly biased against the President and his policies. They use only biased sources...hollywood 'entertainers', napalitano, carrey, 'former' administration monkeys, etc.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
Don't believe ANYTHING that yahoo news/huffington post prints. They're blatantly biased against the President and his policies.

Yeah, Yahoo is absolutely awful. I apologize for posting that. Just pure shit.

Gives you an idea though what the clueless out there are reading.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30528 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Why are you posting any polls at all?

Utterly meaningless

Posts: 107967 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

What does the corona virus have to do with that?
But to make it simple, it would seem the oceans are already right there and waiting.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18392 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Why are you posting any polls at all?

Utterly meaningless

This is so true. Even Fox is starting to fall into that rabbit hole.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
I conducted my own poll recently and the results showed liberal dipshits are still liberal dipshits.

Posts: 1822 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
Can people who have recovered from Covid get it again?

The most recent article from The Wall Street Journal has this to say about people who initially test negative, but then positive, so although there is evidently some indication that the disease can be difficult for the body to get rid of, that may be the reason for why it looks like there is reinfection.

====================================

As they struggle with the nuances of immunity, medical experts are troubled by reports of people who appeared to recover from Covid-19, test free of the coronavirus, and then sicken again. South Korea’s Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says it is investigating 160 cases, worried that the virus may reactivate to cause relapses or reinfections.

I don't know if this relates exactly to the seeming appearance of re-infection in some instances, but apparently the virus finds refuge in men's testicles. What a kick to the...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/he...y-immune-system.html

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
100 % of those polled that would defer the opening of the country said that if their payroll was stopped and health care coverage dropped by their employer they would support opening up the country....

Posts: 23683 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
decisions to open parts of the country should be made on a location by location basis and by doing a risk assessment

there are large areas of the country that are relatively unaffected, and could easily open up and get back to doing business with precautions

the problem is that the mental midgets running the show insist on a one-size fits all solution to a wildly varying landscape and thats what pissing the people off who are actually intelligent enough to do some critical thinking

Hence why our Constitution is constructed the way it is.
Remarkable many of the governors are completely helpless or, the other direction, have abrogated so many rights in the quest to 'do the right thing', despite many portions of the states they're from, are not living in stacked-up urban environments like NYC or, have multiple malls/shopping centers.

Look at San Diego County, the conservatives inherently don't like gov telling them what to do, and the lefties want to go surfing, and everyone just wants to take a walk on the beach or, hike a trial.

Posts: 14752 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3973 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A couple of pages back, PASig asked what was the number of signatures required to actually recall the Governor of Michigan.
I believe it is 575K.
Current recall count on Change.Org is pushing 295K.
So much for bullshit polls saying people dont support the protests.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16175 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I was so bored I called Jake from State Farm just to talk to someone. He asked me what I was wearing.

2019: Stay away from negative people.

2020: Stay away from positive people.

The world has turned upside down. Old folks are sneaking out of the house, and their kids are yelling at them to stay indoors!

You think it's bad now? In 20 years our country will be run by people home schooled by day drinkers!

This virus has done what no woman had been able to do: cancel all sports, shut down all bars, and keep men at home!!!

Do not call the police on suspicious people in your neighborhood! Those are your neighbors without makeup and hair extensions!

Since we can't eat out, now's the perfect time to eat better, get fit, and stay healthy. We're quarantined! Who are we trying to impress? We have snacks, we have sweatpants, I say we use them!

Day 7 at home and the dog is looking at me like, "See? This is why I chew the furniture!"�

Does anyone know if we can take showers yet or should we just keep washing our hands???

I never thought the comment "I wouldn't touch him/her with a 6 foot pole,� would become a national policy, but here we are!

Me: Alexa what's the weather this weekend?
Alexa: It doesn't matter, you're not going anywhere.

Can everyone please just follow the government instructions so we can knock out this coronavirus and be done?! I feel like a kindergartner who keeps losing more recess time because one or two kids can't follow directions.

I swear my fridge just said "what the hell do you want now?"�

When this is over,what meeting do I attend first, Weight Watchers or AA?

Quarantine has turned us into dogs. We roam the house all day looking for food. We are told if we get too close to strangers. And we get really excited about car rides.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Question...

Many states have stay at home orders. Only essential workers from the DHS and CDC recommendations are allowed to be out, everyone else must stay home except to get food. I don't see the media on that list.

How are they exempt? They seem to have no problem being the watchdog for the Government.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38037 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post