SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 ... 1210
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
My wife just returned from the Senior Citizen privileged shopping hour at Publix.

She reports that there were THREE uniformed police officers and one store employee rationing out one four-pack of TP per customer.

Posts: 15936 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
I hate the Chinese, they have just about eradicated many species with their ignorance in eating animals, including dogs and cats. And also their demand based also on ignorance, has led to poaching to supply animal parts for fake medicinal reasons , causing many species of animals to become highly endangered.

And coupled with most of the infectious diseses originating from China, is the reason I think China is the world's biggest problem, without getting into their politics.

The United States should learn from the Covid-19, and cut it's dependence on products from China .

Not to mention their lack of pollution control, copyright laws, etc.

I hope the world learns a lesson from this and cuts dependence on cheap Chinese shit. And I hope the result of that is that it absolutely devastates the Chinese economy. We shouldn't let any Chinese here. They come here hating America and drive up the cost of housing. Example: Los Angeles and Orlando.

Yes, they absolutely hate us. I know a guy teaching English to Chinese in China, I call him a traitor, and he says they're learning English, their goal is to come here to study at our universities and overtake us. They come here and talk shit about how awful America is like many yet won't leave. Even the Chinese here who have been here for generations don't like the fresh off the boat Chinese.

Mainland Chinese are rude, crude, arrogant and should be kept away.

Posts: 13163 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
Time is the only thing that will tell if crippling our economy was worth it and it won't be long.

Time will never tell this. There will never be agreement on this.

Year V

Posts: 2643 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
quote:
Time is the only thing that will tell if crippling our economy was worth it and it won't be long.

We know who will get the blame or won't get any credit depending on how it is perceived to have played out.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5693 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
I hate the Chinese, they have just about eradicated many species with their ignorance in eating animals, including dogs and cats. And also their demand based also on ignorance, has led to poaching to supply animal parts for fake medicinal reasons , causing many species of animals to become highly endangered.

And coupled with most of the infectious diseses originating from China, is the reason I think China is the world's biggest problem, without getting into their politics.

The United States should learn from the Covid-19, and cut it's dependence on products from China .

Not to mention their lack of pollution control, copyright laws, etc.

I hope the world learns a lesson from this and cuts dependence on cheap Chinese shit. And I hope the result of that is that it absolutely devastates the Chinese economy. We shouldn't let any Chinese here. They come here hating America and drive up the cost of housing. Example: Los Angeles and Orlando.

Yes, they absolutely hate us. I know a guy teaching English to Chinese in China, I call him a traitor, and he says they're learning English, their goal is to come here to study at our universities and overtake us. They come here and talk shit about how awful America is like many yet won't leave. Even the Chinese here who have been here for generations don't like the fresh off the boat Chinese.

Mainland Chinese are rude, crude, arrogant and should be kept away.

Damn.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5071 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
Damn.

Seriously. Not good to bottle that stuff up. Best to just let it out.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
quote:

Keystoner: I agree with you. We will never know what would have been without these drastic measures. Some will say we didn't do the right things, some will say we over-reacted. The left will blame it all on Trump. But the truth is that no one knows. You only get one reality, everything else is speculation.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24222 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
< snip >
...he says they're learning English, their goal is to come here to study at our universities and overtake us...
< snip >

In 2004 I lectured at The Peoples's Liberation Army (PLA) General Logistics Academy ( GLA). During the tour we received from the Commanding General we were shown the Academy's language learning center.

It was huge, seating about 400 students at individual PCs (that actually worked) in individual alcoves. The Senior Colonel in charge told us that graduates were required to pass a proficiency test in English and one other non-Chinese language. The reason was the PLA only held onto graduates for an average of six years, before they left active duty and entered the business world, and language skills were of incredible value there.

The PLA GLA graduates about 3,000 students per year. That's a lot of folks who now speak English, and they aren't doing it to be nice guys.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31516 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
NY Gov Coumo says they have examined data from China, Italy, S Korea. Here is what they project for NY.

https://www.foxnews.com/politi...iden-sanders-worried

Hospitalization rate 15% to 19%

expected peak in 45 days

At peak, will need as many as 55,000 to 110,000 hospital beds

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

that would imply the peak is projected to be between 320,000 and 650,000 "existing" or "active" cases

note: this estimate may be too high if they factored in that a patient may be in the hospital for 2 to 4 weeks.

NY state at this time has 12,239 active cases

(on 14 Mar 2020, NY had 421 active cases)

Posts: 19640 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I know funny, and that is FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
I understand that the Chinese (and other cultures) had to eat whatever they could find during periods of starvation. I get it. I understand it. But the Chinese have turned what was an emergency necessity into an industry with the government's encouragement. Some cultures it seems will stick anything in their mouths and call it a delicacy.

Not sure if this is Chinese, but it illustrates a point. She doesn't look like she's starving.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/s7OJYtRJY0k" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

^^^
That is what many years of a dictatorship has done to a society. Look at other advanced cultures from centuries ago that became a dictatorship or theocracy. The froze in time then went backwards. The middle east is full of them too.
The Chinese have had many years (post Mao) with more advanced options but are so brainwashed that they can't or won't take advantage of most of them.

Posts: 9605 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
https://www.politico.com/news/...rgency-powers-140023

Is this real?

DOJ seeks new emergency powers amid coronavirus pandemic

One of the requests to Congress would allow the department to petition a judge to indefinitely detain someone during an emergency.

By BETSY WOODRUFF SWAN
03/21/2020 01:01 PM EDT

The Justice Department has quietly asked Congress for the ability to ask chief judges to detain people indefinitely without trial during emergencies — part of a push for new powers that comes as the coronavirus spreads through the United States.

Documents reviewed by POLITICO detail the department’s requests to lawmakers on a host of topics, including the statute of limitations, asylum and the way court hearings are conducted. POLITICO also reviewed and previously reported on documents seeking the authority to extend deadlines on merger reviews and prosecutions.

A Justice Department spokesperson declined to comment on the documents.

The move has tapped into a broader fear among civil liberties advocates and Donald Trump’s critics — that the president will use a moment of crisis to push for controversial policy changes. Already, he has cited the pandemic as a reason for heightening border restrictions and restricting asylum claims. He has also pushed for further tax cuts as the economy withers, arguing that it would soften the financial blow to Americans. And even without policy changes, Trump has vast emergency powers that he could legally deploy right now to try and slow the coronavirus outbreak.

The DOJ requests — which are unlikely to make it through a Democratic-led House — span several stages of the legal process, from initial arrest to how cases are processed and investigated.

DOJ
The Justice Department seal. | Mark Wilson/Getty Images
In one of the documents, the department proposed that Congress grant the attorney general power to ask the chief judge of any district court to pause court proceedings “whenever the district court is fully or partially closed by virtue of any natural disaster, civil disobedience, or other emergency situation.”

Advertisement

The proposal would also grant those top judges broad authority to pause court proceedings during emergencies. It would apply to “any statutes or rules of procedure otherwise affecting pre-arrest, post-arrest, pre-trial, trial, and post-trial procedures in criminal and juvenile proceedings and all civil process and proceedings,” according to draft legislative language the department shared with Congress. In making the case for the change, the DOJ document wrote that individual judges can currently pause proceedings during emergencies, but that their proposal would make sure all judges in any particular district could handle emergencies “in a consistent manner.”

The request raised eyebrows because of its potential implications for habeas corpus –– the constitutional right to appear before a judge after arrest and seek release.

“Not only would it be a violation of that, but it says ‘affecting pre-arrest,’” said Norman L. Reimer, the executive director of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. “So that means you could be arrested and never brought before a judge until they decide that the emergency or the civil disobedience is over. I find it absolutely terrifying. Especially in a time of emergency, we should be very careful about granting new powers to the government.”

Reimer said the possibility of chief judges suspending all court rules during an emergency without a clear end in sight was deeply disturbing.

“That is something that should not happen in a democracy,” he said.

The department also asked Congress to pause the statute of limitations for criminal investigations and civil proceedings during national emergencies, “and for one year following the end of the national emergency,” according to the draft legislative text.

Trump recently declared the coronavirus crisis a national emergency.

Another controversial request: The department is looking to change the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure in some cases to expand the use of videoconference hearings, and to let some of those hearings happen without defendants’ consent, according to the draft legislative text.

“Video teleconferencing may be used to conduct an appearance under this rule,” read a draft of potential new language for Federal Rule of Criminal Procedure 5(f), crossing out the phrase “if the defendant consents.”

“Video teleconferencing may be used to arraign a defendant,” read draft text of rule 10(c), again striking out the phrase “if the defendant consents.”

Posts: 12941 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last stats I looked at a majority of our pharmaceutical products and ingredients are produced in China. I was watching The Ingram Angle Friday night, interesting she isn’t peddling the hoax angle anymore. It’s more like this is what we’re waiting for this is it boys this is war! Maddow and Ingraham are both useless and dangerous.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:

Is this real?

You gotta give the DOJ credit for trying. The answer should be a resounding, “Are you kidding me? Heck no!!”
But you gotta give them credit for trying.

Posts: 6947 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hate the Chinese, ...

Ah, yes: Nothing like a dash of bigotry to make everything better.

quote:
... I think China is the world's biggest problem, without getting into their politics.

You may be right about that, but, I'd argue, their politics are exactly why China, the country, is perhaps the biggest political and socio-economic threat in the world, right now.

The Chinese are just people, and, like people the world over: Some are good people, some are not. Some are smart and informed, others are stupid and/or ignorant. And so-on.

quote:

The U.S. and the rest of the world should never have become so thoroughly-addicted to cheap Chinese labor in the first place. This, and the Chinese government's propensity to manipulate their currency, are some of the reasons why nations used to use trade tariffs to protect their own industries.

Now, you claim to "hate the Chinese." Stop and think a moment: Just who, other than the Chinese, benefits from essentially non-existent barriers to unfair trade practices? Who is it that's been the impetus to feed the Chinese economy such that China could become the thorn in the rest of the world's side it's become?

quote:
I hope the world learns a lesson from this and cuts dependence on cheap Chinese shit.

I refer to it as "Cheap Chinese Crap," "CCC," "C3," or "C³" Smile

I would only note there are well-made products that come out of China, but most of such products are under strict quality control by Western management. Apple is perhaps the best-known of such manufacturers.

Japan was once in much the same place. Now many Japanese products are regarded as the best in the world.

Anyway, to your point: I bet it won't. E.g.: You'd think that after the pet food poisoning scandal in 2007, the makers of such products would shun China, would you not? Guess again. And tainted pet food is merely the tip of the iceberg.

quote:
And I hope the result of that is that it absolutely devastates the Chinese economy.

I don't. Besides the devastating impact on the Chinese people, who are, after all, just people trying to live, like you and me, you know what they say about a man backed into a corner with nothing left to lose.

quote:
We shouldn't let any Chinese here. They come here hating America and drive up the cost of housing.

Yay! More bigotry!

I will say this: Given China's stated intention to displace the U.S. as the most dominant force in the world, economically, socially, and politically, and "China's" track record for stealing intellectual property, I am somewhat surprised at the number of U.S. universities and companies willing to have Chinese nationals on their respective staffs.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:

Is this real?

You gotta give the DOJ credit for trying. The answer should be a resounding, “Are you kidding me? Heck no!!”
But you gotta give them credit for trying.

Some will be completely good with this because you don’t understand “this isn’t the flu”. You can not question the government. They totally have your best interests at heart. If you dare question their motives, you are a right wing conspiracy theorist. You don’t get that your Rights have to be stripped to save you from a disease that 99 percent of the people will recover from. If it saves one life.

Edited- apparently you can’t speak out against the Chinese either or by the playbook you have to be called a bigot, racist, you know the drill. You don’t understand, you are responsible for the greater good here. Now shut up and hand over your Rights.

If you have to sacrifice everything, your house, your job, your savings, you must just make that sacrifice for the greater good. But DO NOT dare question the numbers or motives of those causing you to throw it all away. All the people you couldn’t trust three weeks ago to govern you are now on your side.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37128 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd argue, their politics are exactly why China, the country, is perhaps the biggest political and socio-economic threat in the world, right now.

The Chinese are just people, and, like people the world over: Some are good people, some are not. Some are smart and informed, others are stupid and/or ignorant. And so-on.

ensigmatic: You illustrate that it's the CCP, the Chinese Communist Party that is not only our enemy but the enemy of the Chinese people as well. Communism is evil because it deprives people of their humanity: their individualism and dignity. It has different flavors in different places, but Communism is evil wherever it is tried.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24222 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

Ah, yes: Nothing like a dash of bigotry to make everything better.

You should drop that stupit pc bullshit. We all have a right to be pissed at or even hate the country/culture that knowingnly brought this upon the world. Keep the race card playing shit to the fucking leftists.

(edited to remove my grumpy rant)

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
In addition to his expertise, he has even not remotely politicized this crisis, even when openly baited to do so by the media.

quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
Tony Fauci - almost certainly - has more bonafide credentials than anyone standing on that morning stage. He has been in the public health arena since 1968, has served in one capacity or another through several administrations both Democrat and Republican, and is one of the world's premier experts on Ebola and HIV, as well as one of the most published authors on infectious diseases. He has in fact developed therapies for a number of - formerly - fatal diseases, and may be the world's leading expert on regulatory mechanisms regarding immune response and AIDS. I can't think of anyone less politically motivated, and anyone more interested in the public welfare.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post