SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 ... 1212
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
As mentioned quite a few pages back, chloroquine is one of the drugs used in the initial and ongoing trial studies. It's cheap (about $5 a dose worldwide - with ramp up probably much cheaper), it's - (somewhat) effective - and that depends on several things, not least of which is disease staging, and it's available. It's also not without a long list of side effects, most of which are manageable and minor, but some serious. It's (probably) more effective with other drugs, but it is very promising. We will likely see an announcement early tomorrow on prying the FDA loose from restrictions on its use, and see an effective regimen of therapy proposed, along with possibly some news on vaccine progress.

Did you happen to catch how Mr. Trump responded to the question this morning?

Did not see his response, but I imagine it was something on the order of "News tomorrow."

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Add thermometers to the things you can't find. My daughter needed one today as she is sick and found none to be bought anywhere.

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4145 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
Sanofi Pasteur is the largest producer of chloroquine and scaling up manufacturing is far easier than other drugs currently in clinical trials, costing around 5-cents a dose wholesale (not $5). The composition is off-patent so Big Pharma can bring its considerable manufacturing to bear, suc as Pfizer which ticked upward today BTW in the market.
Like Doc H indicated there are potential side effects, the most worrisome of which is overdosing but with the right traceability, packaging and delivery method that should be mitigated.

Smile
My bad - .05 worldwide, $5 in the US. We'll get the international discount I'm sure...

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nearly 40% of hospitalized adults in US for coronavirus are between 20 and 54 years old

https://www.washingtonexaminer...-20-and-54-years-old

A large portion of adults being hospitalized from the coronavirus are younger, though most deaths remain among older adults.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued a report Wednesday that showed that 38% of the hospitalizations in the United States were from adults between the ages of 20 and 54 years old.

"I think everyone should be paying attention to this," Stephen Morse, a professor of epidemiology at Columbia University, told the New York Times. "It’s not just going to be the elderly. There will be people age 20 and up. They do have to be careful, even if they think that they’re young and healthy."

Deborah Birx told reporters on Wednesday that she is "concerned" about reports from Europe that the coronavirus could be hitting young people hard, too.

"We are concerned about the early reports coming out of Italy and France," Birx said. "There are concerning reports out of France and Italy about some young people getting seriously ill and getting very ill in the ICUs."

Despite the warning, it appears that the coronavirus poses "no significant mortality in the children." A study from Italy found that 99% of deaths from the coronavirus came from people that had previous medical conditions.

Over 8,000 have gotten the coronavirus in the U.S., while 143 people have died.

Posts: 12857 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Sanofi Pasteur is the largest producer of chloroquine and scaling up manufacturing is far easier than other drugs currently in clinical trials, costing around 5-cents a dose wholesale (not $5). The composition is off-patent so Big Pharma can bring its considerable manufacturing to bear, suc as Pfizer which ticked upward today BTW in the market.
Like Doc H indicated there are potential side effects, the most worrisome of which is overdosing but with the right traceability, packaging and delivery method that should be mitigated.

Smile
My bad - .05 worldwide, $5 in the US. We'll get the international discount I'm sure...

I recall a conversation my former venture capital firm once had with an unnamed something-star general. We were looking to invest in an antiviral venture (back when H5N1 reared it’s ungodly head) but were concerned that a company in Canada held certain manufacturing IP rights. My firm asked his opinion whether he was concerned if that company could strategically hold up supplies if an H5N1 outbreak occurred domestically, resulting in a national emergency.

His answer: If a company held the answer to manufacturing a compound that only it could produce fast enough to save millions of American lives and it refused to do so, well... by the next morning it would be in American hands.

Fortunately we don’t have to invade Canada and if the WH tomorrow says several million doses will be produced domestically, I don’t think it will be at retail cost. Cool

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Smile

Is it used prophylacticaly, or only after infection?

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Smile

I recall a conversation my former venture capital firm once had with an unnamed something-star general. We were looking to invest in an antiviral venture (back when H5N1 reared it’s ungodly head) but were concerned that a company in Canada held certain manufacturing IP rights. My firm asked his opinion whether he was concerned if that company could strategically hold up supplies if an H5N1 outbreak occurred domestically, resulting in a national emergency.

His answer: If a company held the answer to manufacturing a compound that only it could produce fast enough to save millions of American lives and it refused to do so, by the next morning it would be in American hands.

Fortunately we don’t have to invade Canada and if the WH tomorrow says several million doses will be produced domestically, I don’t think it will be at retail cost. Cool

Hopefully we don't need to invade France. Smile I will be really interested in how much we can reduce the cost of Gilead's remdesivir, which will perhaps be co-therapy, but certainly an alternative if in vivo studies pan out.

pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Smile

His answer: If a company held the answer to manufacturing a compound that only it could produce fast enough to save millions of American lives and it refused to do so, by the next morning it would be in American hands.

Hopefully we don't need to invade France. Smile I will be really interested in how much we can reduce the cost of Gilead's remdesivir, which will perhaps be co-therapy, but certainly an alternative if in vivo studies pan out.

I should have said Canada or France for that matter. Wink

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
quote:
quote:

Smile

It works by allowing zinc to disrupt the rna sequencing of the virus in the cell. Zinc will kill the virus. Zinc on its own is not readily available to do it. I saw a Dr. on YouTube explain it. I will try to find it. I think it was MedCram.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
Nearly 40% of hospitalized adults in US for coronavirus are between 20 and 54 years old

https://www.washingtonexaminer...-20-and-54-years-old

A large portion of adults being hospitalized from the coronavirus are younger, though most deaths remain among older adults.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued a report Wednesday that showed that 38% of the hospitalizations in the United States were from adults between the ages of 20 and 54 years old.

"I think everyone should be paying attention to this," Stephen Morse, a professor of epidemiology at Columbia University, told the New York Times. "It’s not just going to be the elderly. There will be people age 20 and up. They do have to be careful, even if they think that they’re young and healthy."

Deborah Birx told reporters on Wednesday that she is "concerned" about reports from Europe that the coronavirus could be hitting young people hard, too.

"We are concerned about the early reports coming out of Italy and France," Birx said. "There are concerning reports out of France and Italy about some young people getting seriously ill and getting very ill in the ICUs."

Despite the warning, it appears that the coronavirus poses "no significant mortality in the children." A study from Italy found that 99% of deaths from the coronavirus came from people that had previous medical conditions.

Over 8,000 have gotten the coronavirus in the U.S., while 143 people have died.

Young adults can have medical conditions too, such as diabetes, asthma, cystic fibrosis, etc.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
Because the FDA has been so Johnny Quick approving Wuhan tests?

You mean protecting the American Public from potentially unsafe & inaccurate testing? Sure.

When I am in a dark room, I prefer to have a dim flashlight rather than none at all.

The perfect is the enemy of the good.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17508 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Smile

It works by allowing zinc to disrupt the rna sequencing of the virus in the cell. Zinc will kill the virus. Zinc on its own is not readily available to do it. I saw a Dr. on YouTube explain it. I will try to find it. I think it was MedCram.

Chloroquine and Zinc

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Smile

Dual effect - it reduces transmission (confirmed, and likely by reducing viral load - the actual mechanism is by changing the pH inside the cell, inhibiting replication), but it also reduces the more severe effects of associated pneumonia, often the real "killer" in the equation:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/32074550

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Did not see his response, but I imagine it was something on the order of "News tomorrow."

OK, went back and rewatched the presscon- Dr. Birx actually responded to the question. Basically she said they had discussed that with the President earlier that day. The issue is that some things will look good in cell culture or small animals, but have little or no effect in humans. She affirmed that they are looking at all the evidence, including anecdotal reports.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16516 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Here is a basic timeline to follow:
https://www.axios.com/timeline...tm_source=whatfinger

If China had come forward just 3 weeks earlier, it is believed that there would have been 95% less people infected and the geographic spread would have been greatly reduced.
https://www.southampton.ac.uk/.../covid-19-china.page

I encourage you to read this article published by the Washington Times:
https://www.washingtonpost.com...read-farther-faster/

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12373 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
Got an email from Ventura County saying CDC is no longer confirming cases and presumptive cases will now be treated as confirmed. I expect the numbers to jump then, since we had 1 confirmed and 12 presumptive and now it's just being called 13 confirmed.

ETA Local lab will be giving final results.

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, was just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2470 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Because the FDA has been so Johnny Quick approving Wuhan tests?

You mean protecting the American Public from potentially unsafe & inaccurate testing? Sure.

When I am in a dark room, I prefer to have a dim flashlight rather than none at all.

The perfect is the enemy of the good.

If a test is inaccurate via a lack of specificity or selectivity versus other tests, it can cause more harm than good.

Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

OK, went back and rewatched the presscon- Dr. Birx actually responded to the question. Basically she said they had discussed that with the President earlier that day. The issue is that some things will look good in cell culture or small animals, but have little or no effect in humans. She affirmed that they are looking at all the evidence, including anecdotal reports.

Interesting, not surprising, and correct. Much of what we think we know is based on only a few weeks with this bad boy - and even less fiddling with its structure and activity, but we have historical experience with closely related - sometimes very closely related - analogs. Much of what we do early - or try - will be very much Spock's "best guess."

10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Chloroquine and Zinc

Doesn't zinc cause permanent Anosmia?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17508 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post