SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 ... 1214
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
If this hoax...yes...HOAX...isn't another Fake News Media coup, I just don't know what is. Un-freaking-believable, what the general population (to include some on this board) will swallow.

Sorry to interrupt the panic and hysteria...please proceed!
You feel really emboldened, don't you? Why don't you have some respect for people who are concerned?
You gonna quote Para and call him out on the carpet as well? Didn't think so. Why, then, should I accept that treatment?

You fear-mongers have had run of this thread since it opened. There's a difference between CONCERN and HYSTERIA. What I, and others, have witnessed here is nothing short of Fake News Media-Induced HYSTERIA. So if that's how you want to carry yourself day to day...HAVE AT IT!!! Knock yourself out!!

I'm gonna go enjoy my turkey & swiss sammich and watch some TBBT. I could get extremely snarky, but I'm going to sign off right here. Have a great night.

quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:
... I guaran-damn-tee they're not posting ANYTHING that will help Trump.
Thanks, erj_pilot. And I agree.
Absolutely, sir!! Thanks for posting that article!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
I saw a meme on Facebook showing the areas with the worst corona concentrations are also leftist sanctuary cities- reap what you sow
Overall I agree shutting down a country for what has turned out to be a relatively isolated problem is a mistake.
After this is over (perhaps too optimistic) I would hope the people that avoided going to ER’s and bogging down the system with petty illness and injury would continue to so after the panic is over.
Sadly I think the worst time to be in healthcare and emergency services in particular is when the all clear is sounded and people with inappropriate complaints and concerns start over utilizing the ER again

Even Cuomo, Leftist leader of NY State said "Not sure if closing all businesses, keeping everyone home was 'the best public health strategy'"

https://www.foxnews.com/us/cuo...blic-health-strategy

No matter what happens, Trump will be blamed. If it is born out that Fauci completely overreacted, he's Trump's guy, and even though Trump is not a doctor, and the economy is destroyed as a result of him following Fauci's advice, it's Trump's fault. If Trump doesn't listen to Fauci, Trump's not listening to his own experts. Trump is in the hardest position.

Year V

Posts: 2672 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
If this hoax...yes...HOAX...isn't another Fake News Media coup, I just don't know what is. Un-freaking-believable, what the general population (to include some on this board) will swallow.

Sorry to interrupt the panic and hysteria...please proceed!
You feel really emboldened, don't you? Why don't you have some respect for people who are concerned?
You gonna quote Para and call him out on the carpet as well? Didn't think so. Why, then, should I accept that treatment?

You fear-mongers have had run of this thread since it opened. There's a difference between CONCERN and HYSTERIA. What I, and others, have witnessed here is nothing short of Fake News Media-Induced HYSTERIA. So if that's how you want to carry yourself day to day...HAVE AT IT!!! Knock yourself out!!

I'm gonna go enjoy my turkey & swiss sammich and watch some TBBT. I could get extremely snarky, but I'm going to sign off right here. Have a great night.

I didn't see Para being an asshole to people.

Year V

Posts: 2672 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
Trump is in the hardest position.

And he has proven time and time again that he is the right person at the right time for these hard positions.

Posts: 5201 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
I didn't see Para being an asshole to people.
HAHAHAHAHA!!! I believe my posts have held the same tenor as the Boss's...

You have the last word...still have yet to make it to my sammich.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shifferbrains:
quote:
Trump is in the hardest position.
And he has proven time and time again that he is the right person at the right time for these hard positions.
Yeah, that comes with the job of being a leader.

He's navigated some perilous situations thus far, and he's the best one to do it now.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our community face book page is swarming with people trying to shout down and shame anyone who doubts the wisdom of a lockdown. We must, at all costs obey our superiors for the good of everyone. We'll I thought that was bad but wait, now people are asking if they need papers that prove they're essential workers. Some are worried that they may get caught without some sort of proof that they need to go to a grocery store.
I shit you not. These idiots aren't angry about being told what to do, they welcome it and they immediately worry about being in compliance with our superiors commands. No anger and concern about loss of liberty and jobs, oh no, they just bend over and take it. And all of this happened in just a few weeks.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3630 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

And how would you propose enforcing that?

Not enforcing anything. They are medical guidelines and recommendations. Not rules or laws.
But, as far as I'm concerned, shutting down the entire system is not the answer. Of course, we will never know, but I will submit to you that the infection rate would be the same with or without total lockdown.

quote:
You've been in direct patient care. Surely you must know these things?

Sure, I know this. But, I'd say, 99% of the patients in my current practice will listen to my recommendation of staying home when they are sick. And, this is long before all this corona thing hit.

Q

Posts: 27515 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Why are those who see this for what it is allowing themselves to get sucked into the drama of those prone to panic and irrationality. Fear has a tendency of freezing a person from who he considers himself to really be. This is definitely cause for concern, not panic.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5936 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Dallas County has deemed that gun stores are essential business and will remain open. Gun sales up 500%. Gun stores in N. TX remain open.
Wish the damn ranges were open.

Come on out to Parker County...

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5425 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
The back and forth is pointless and distracting.

Team TheDudesAbide can go on chilling in the tub with a joint or turkey sandwich or whatever floats their goat, and Team OurHairIsOnFire can go on being Froke and trying to manage. Ain't nobody changing anyone's minds here, anyway, so how about finding a different way to vent your frustrations... ?

There's enough annoying bullshit associated with this topic already, why add to the pile?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
https://techcrunch.com/2020/03...treat-four-patients/

Prisma Health develops FDA-authorized 3D-printed device that lets a single ventilator treat four patients

The impending shortage of ventilators for U.S. hospitals is likely already a crisis, but will become even more dire as the number grows of patients with COVID-19 that are suffering from severe symptoms and require hospitalization. That’s why a simple piece of hardware newly approved by the FDA for emergency use — and available free via source code and 3D printing for hospitals — might be a key ingredient in helping minimize the strain on front-line response efforts.

The Prisma Health VESper is a deceptively simple-looking three-way connector that expands use of one ventilator to treat up to four patients simultaneously. The device is made for use with ventilators that comply to existing ISO standard ventilator hardware and tubing, and allows use of filtering equipment to block any possible transmission of viruses and bacteria.

VESper works in device pairs, with one attached to the intake of the ventilator, and another attached to the return. They also can be stacked to allow for treatment of up to four patients at once — provided the patients require the same clinical treatment in terms of oxygenation, including the oxygen mix as well as the air pressure and other factors.

This was devised by Dr. Sarah Farris, an emergency room doctor, who shared the concept with her husband Ryan Farris, a software engineer who developed the initial prototype design for 3D printing. Prisma Health is making the VESper available upon request via its printing specifications, but it should be noted that the emergency use authorization under which the FDA approved its use means that this is only intended effectively as a last-resort measure — for institutions where ventilators approved under established FDA rules have already been exhausted, and no other supply or alternative is available in order to preserve the life of patients.

Devices cleared under FDA Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) like this one are fully understood to be prototypes, and the conditions of their use includes a duty to report the results of how they perform in practice. This data contributes to the ongoing investigation of their effectiveness, and to further development and refinement of their design in order to maximize their safety and efficacy.

In addition to offering the plans for in-house 3D printing, Prisma Health has sourced donations to help print units for healthcare facilities that don’t have access to their own 3D printers. The first batch of these will be funded by a donation from the Sargent Foundation of South Carolina, but Prisma Health is seeking additional donations to fund continued research as well as additional production.

Posts: 8882 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

If I were in charge,

1- Everybody practices good hygiene. Everybody.
2- If you're asymptomatic, go about your business.
3- If you're sysmptomatic but not serious (like chest pain or shortness of breath or confusion, etc.), stay home and rest. Talk to your physician for guidance. You don't need to be around other folks. Minor cough or runny nose or sore throat is not a reason to flood the ER that's already overburdened.
4- If you're seriously sysmptomatic, yes, call 911/go to ER.

I've been in direct patient care (adults and children) since the early 90s (ER, urgent care, primary care, employee health care) and have been in contacts with various kinds of communicable diseases (bacterial and viral meningitis, influenza, cold, and many other respiratory illnesses), and not once have I been knocked down by any of these. Good health is a factor, but I also attribute it to good hygiene practice.

I can only hope that everyone on this forum reads this a few times, settles down, and reads it again. Save it and read it every day.

For years, when I’m sick, I wear a mask while out in public for the necessaries and quarantine my own ass during. If all people would do the same, well we’d be much better off. I’ve posted multiple threads in the rant section of fucksticks coming into work hacking, sneezing, all over the place, when they have the ability to quarantine themselves, wear a mask, etc.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12935 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
Our community face book page is swarming with people trying to shout down and shame anyone who doubts the wisdom of a lockdown. We must, at all costs obey our superiors for the good of everyone. We'll I thought that was bad but wait, now people are asking if they need papers that prove they're essential workers. Some are worried that they may get caught without some sort of proof that they need to go to a grocery store.
I shit you not. These idiots aren't angry about being told what to do, they welcome it and they immediately worry about being in compliance with our superiors commands. No anger and concern about loss of liberty and jobs, oh no, they just bend over and take it. And all of this happened in just a few weeks.

It pretty much stems from the public education system and leftist indoctrination that has occured the last 30 or more years. Independent thought is not allowed, and one must depend on the "nanny state" to look out for and think for them. It really is amazing how many supposed sensible folks are willing to give up their rights and freedoms so easily.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
If I were in charge,

1- Everybody practices good hygiene. Everybody.

And how would you propose enforcing that?

In the last couple weeks or so, on my increasingly rare forays into the danger zone (outside the house) I have seen not a single individual employing good hygiene practices when out and about. And I've been watching, because I've been curious.

I watched a young woman, standing in front of me at a CVS this afternoon, with packages in hand, grab a couple candy bars off a shelf, handle a couple others for inspection and put them back, then proceed to rub her nose.

Behind me, in the line at the pharmacy counter, there were three people. They were separated from me by six feet, because the store had taped red "X"s on the floor. But they were all standing close enough to one another to feel one anothers' breath.

quote:
3- If you're sysmptomatic but not serious (like chest pain or shortness of breath or confusion, etc.), stay home and rest. Talk to your physician for guidance. You don't need to be around other folks.

How would you enforce that?

When I was still employed: If I felt myself getting sick I'd call in sick and stay home until it "crested" and was clearly on its way back down. Not a single one of my cow-orkers did that. I've seen people at work so sick they could barely keep themselves upright in their chairs. "Can't afford to take the time off" was the usual excuse. But others, for which that wouldn't be an issue, were more inclined to answer "Too much work to do" or "It's no problem, I can work through it."

quote:
... not once have I been knocked down by any of these. Good health is a factor, but I also attribute it to good hygiene practice.

I almost never take the annual flu shot. I can count the number of times I've been sick in the last twenty years or so on one hand and have fingers left over. Part of the reason is I have an exceptionally robust immune system. But I'm also hygienic. Not anally so, but consistently so.

But that's you and me, Q. Most people are lazy, stupid, ignorant, inconsiderate or some combination of the four.

As I've pointed out, before: That is also one of the big differences between how S. Korea and the U.S. are handling this. S. Korea has warned its citizens of the dangers, told them what they had to do to counter the threat, and, by all accounts, most S. Koreans are doing that. Americans on the whole do not behave that way.

You've been in direct patient care. Surely you must know these things?
He does know them. Hes pointing out the common sense things we should be doing. He is right too. You've sort of answered your own question when you stated how people are. I see it too every where I go. How to change peoples ways is another question. I know there needs to be very strict signage to "Wash your hands" and "The soap and water is free, use it". Make it a order or do not enter the facility. It needs to be demanded and ordered because Americans sure as hell cant be advised. Even for their own well being.

Posts: 17984 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XinTX:
And despite them having less cases, Italy has over 7 times the number of fatalities.
Yea, because the pizzerias are closed and people can't get their fix! Big Grin

Posts: 4057 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Reminds me - check wines.
55. Good for the week.
Razz

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12672 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Everyone in Michigan learned at a Town Hall meeting tonight that free travel is illegal right now. You are only allowed to drive to essential jobs/employment, or to get groceries or supplies.

You cannot hop on your motorcycle for a spin or jump in the car to go for a drive. If stopped it is a $500 fine.

Walking and riding a bike is ok. Which is awesome here this tie of year when its 30-55F and usually raining.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38205 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Unconstitutional. Deserves an immediate court challenge.

This shit has to stop. They're infringing upon Constitutional rights. Short of me being convicted of a crime and sentenced to house arrest, I do not believe that it is within the power of any government to compel me to remain in my home. They may very well arrest, try, and convict me for breaking their rules, but it's still unconstitutional.

We are not under martial law.

Posts: 109053 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of was0311
posted Hide Post
This reminds me of being in class, and the whole class has to stay late and suffers because some kids were being a jackasses.

Kind of like bootcamp too.

Posts: 2654 | Location: Eastern NE | Registered: July 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post