SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 ... 1214
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:

Gov. Cuomo himself reported yesterday that the rate of hospitalization in NY had decreased greatly since Sunday, citing distancing and lockdown as the reasons. It's still increasing, but not as quickly as before.

https://thehill.com/policy/hea...good-sign-and-headed

Hmmm, dubious, unverifiable claims of out of control ICU's. Then, sweeping in to the rescue comes Cuomo to magnanimously show what great things happen when you just behave like a good little subject and hide in your apartment when told to do so. The conditioning and programming continues...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The FDA approved emergency use of CPAP machines today ,as a therapeutic device with the shortage of Ventilators.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:
yeah, they are projecting around 214 million "cases". I will be looking at the recovered cases and we certainly are not first in deaths.

214M globally? Or are we talking 66% of the total US Population?

US. That's more of a worst case scenario when coupled a greater than 1 percent cfr.
'Or' that more aptly might be referred to as utter and complete bullshit masquerading as data. I swear to God, they're essentially pulling 'information' from the equivalent of Chicken Little.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of was0311
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark_a:
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:

Gov. Cuomo himself reported yesterday that the rate of hospitalization in NY had decreased greatly since Sunday, citing distancing and lockdown as the reasons. It's still increasing, but not as quickly as before.

https://thehill.com/policy/hea...good-sign-and-headed

Hmmm, dubious, unverifiable claims of out of control ICU's. Then, sweeping in to the rescue comes Cuomo to magnanimously show what great things happen when you just behave like a good little subject and hide in your apartment when told to do so. The conditioning and programming continues...

Coumo has been a whiny tantrumy baby about all this.
That said, NY is going to have issues and a lot. Unlikely even coming close to his dire projections but it will be bad, that is one place that should have started early on. We will be hearing about it forever.

Posts: 2654 | Location: Eastern NE | Registered: July 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
A good friend of mine in the next county works at a dialysis clinic. They sent her home 2 days ago because she was sick, yesterday they told her to get tested for C19 because one of their patients was C19 positive. She just told me she is positive, and to stay home for 7 days. She's mid-40's and relatively healthy, so not too worried.

That county is a large medical presence in this (SE) corner of AL. One large hospital (327 beds), and a slightly smaller hospital (235 beds). There are only currently 3 confirmed cases in that county, so she and her patient are two of the three. Interesting times ahead.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6367 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
https://thefederalist.com/2020...g-press-conferences/

As Trump’s Poll Numbers Rise, Media Begin Censoring Press Conferences

Media continue to make their coverage choices based on whether they believe it will harm or help Trump.

The political media have been working extremely hard to craft a narrative that the spread of the coronavirus was essentially the fault of the man they had blamed for all other ills in recent years. How could the people not accept that narrative, particularly considering that most everyone in the media was pushing it?

Things got worse when additional polls showed Trump receiving high ratings at the same time that the media received poor ratings. A brand new Gallup study — “Coronavirus Response: Hospitals Rated Best, News Media Worst” — was particularly bad news. When Americans were asked about nine different institutions and political leaders, they gave majority approval to all but the media. President Trump has a 22-point net approval rating while the media’s net approval rating was negative 11 points. The RealClearPolitics approval average for Trump was its highest during his entire presidency.

In response, the media were angry and depressed and began blaming his press conferences. Their theory seemed to be that the more Americans saw Trump, unfiltered, they liked him and the more Americans saw the behavior of the media, they didn’t like it. This flies in the face of what many in the media assumed for years. They pushed for daily White House press conferences so that they could have the opportunity to be on camera and pressure the Trump administration. Now that they had daily press briefings with the president, no less, they weren’t happy. It was a weird response for a group of people whose ostensible job is to simply report the news of the day.

This New York Times reporter began disparaging the public health briefings featuring some of the country’s top medical professionals:

An example of what they called a lie was Trump’s discussion of a potential treatment for those infected with the coronavirus. The proposed treatment has not gone through extensive clinical trials for the Wuhan coronavirus in particular, although it well established in use for malaria patients and many doctors are hoping to continue its use for the novel coronavirus. While New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo is so bullish on the treatment that he authorized its use in his state, he has not received any criticism from the media. The absurdity of claiming that Trump was lying about this promising treatment plan was topped by the media blaming Trump when one individual seeking to prevent infection ingested fish tank cleaner because it contained similar ingredients.

Here an “All Things Considered” host at a public radio station funded by tax dollars, had this considered response:

After spending months demanding that the White House reinstate press conference, they are now demanding he shut them down as his performance is going better than theirs.

The Washington Post, whose tagline is “Democracy Dies In Darkness,” demanded that the lights on the presidential press briefings be turned off.

While Americans might not appreciate the media censoring the public health briefings, Sullivan had one fan in Communist China. Lijian Zhao, the spokesperson & Deputy Director General of the Information Department in communist China’s Foreign Ministry retweeted MSNBC’s Kyle Griffin, who had tweeted out in support of Sullivan’s censorship plan:

Ted Koppel told the New York Times, “Training a camera on a live event, and just letting it play out, is technology, not journalism; journalism requires editing and context.”

While it’s true that good journalists will provide context, that’s precisely what’s been missing in their histrionic and sensationalized coverage of this global pandemic. They share aggregate numbers to inflame passions, they highlight poor performing hospitals and blame the coronavirus, even though the same hospitals were overwhelmed previously, they peddle faulty models that incite horrific panic.

What the media instead are realizing is that they have lost control over the filtering that they are used to providing. They seek to spin the news rather than simply show it and report it. And they justify their bias as being part of a higher calling in the journalism profession as opposed to a glaring failure.

The media that was able to push impeachment while the coronavirus spread throughout the world, that claimed concerns about it were racist, and that attempts to control its spread were xenophobic, now wants even more control over the message. Their plan to keep Americans in the dark about what the country’s top political and medical officials say unless it is filtered through a group of people who botched the 2016 campaign, the Russia collusion narrative, and the Kavanaugh confirmation hearing is a demonstration of something very dangerous.

They don’t want to report the news. They want to control it. That is damaging and destructive to their own already hurting reputations but, more importantly, to public health itself.

Posts: 8882 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
https://thehill.com/policy/tec...oduce-15000-to-fight

Dyson designs new ventilator, will produce 15,000 to fight coronavirus

Dyson, the company behind high-tech vacuums and hand dryers, says it has received an emergency order from the United Kingdom for 10,000 ventilators, and it has already designed a new machine.

James Dyson, the billionaire founder, wrote in a letter to employees later obtained by CNN that he received a call from U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson regarding the short supply of ventilators.

Just 10 days later, Dyson wrote that the company has designed and built a new ventilator called the “CoVent.”

"This new device can be manufactured quickly, efficiently and at volume," according to Dyson. It has been designed to "address the specific needs" of coronavirus patients.

In addition to the 10,000 ordered by the U.K.’s National Health Service, Dyson will be donating an additional 5,000 units.

A spokesperson for the company told CNN the CoVents will be ready by early April.

"The core challenge was how to design and deliver a new, sophisticated medical product in volume and in an extremely short space of time," Dyson wrote. "The race is now on to get it into production."

There has been nearly 10,000 confirmed cases of coronavirus in the United Kingdom as of Thursday, according to a database from Johns Hopkins University.

Ventilators are in short supply in the U.S. and all around the world as the coronavirus pandemic rages on. Since the coronavirus attacks the lungs, the machines are crucial to help patients experiencing serious illness.

Companies around the world including Ford, GM and Tesla have been given the green light to begin producing the vital machines.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk on Monday announced that the electric car company had bought hundreds of ventilators from China and shipped them to the U.S.

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
https://thefederalist.com/2020...g-press-conferences/

As Trump’s Poll Numbers Rise, Media Begin Censoring Press Conferences

Media continue to make their coverage choices based on whether they believe it will harm or help Trump.
[snip]
If this hoax...yes...HOAX...isn't another Fake News Media coup, I just don't know what is. Un-freaking-believable, what the general population (to include some on this board) will swallow.

Sorry to interrupt the panic and hysteria...please proceed!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
quote:
Originally posted by Patriot:
All of Atlanta's four major hospital ICU's are at capacity...all ICU beds taken. Grady hospital has 100 ICU beds alone....ALL FULL.

Does anyone remember that with the flu? I sure don't...

Article here<<<<

I'm not there and maybe this is true and not fearmongering, but it doesn't add up.

In NY, 16% of cases are requiring hospitalization and 23% of those cases require ICU care. So 3.68% of all cases require ICU care.

All of Georgia has 1525 confirmed cases. All of Georgia. Certainly there are more cases than just confirmed cases, but even if we say Atlanta by itself has twice that number, that's only 112 ICU beds needed in the whole city.

What is going on with all these claims of overrun hospitals that just don't seem to jive with reality?
Yeah. If they would put 2 people per bed, thats double the capacity.. Big Grin

Posts: 17984 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
If this hoax...yes...HOAX...isn't another Fake News Media coup, I just don't know what is...

I am not following you. Are you saying the article I posted is fake news?

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
do you honestly think there is absolutely no middle ground? Unless you completely eliminate all contact between people, a virus will spread at exactly the same rate?

I'm saying that shutting a nation down and grinding the economy to a halt is not now and never will be in the foreseeable future the way to handle a virus. Transmitting a virus is old as time itself. Just because a few thousand folks have died from it, we didn't need to stop the world from turning....

Yup. My wife just returned from Seoul, South Korea, after a 2-month visit of her family. Schools are closed, sure, but there were no government orders of city or state shutdown. Sure, there are less folks on the streets because of fear, but businesses are open. People still gather at restaurants.

quote:
The clearest solution to me is to keep on trucking as if today were any other day and practice "common sense" hygiene procedures Big Grin . That little jab at the end was for the gun grabbing trolls that prowl this fine establishment, but I am totally serious about living life. Don't live it in fear because before you realize it, death is there waiting anyway.

Absolutely correct. There is nothing more important than practicing good hygiene (proper hand washing is number one) to minimize the chance of transmitting infectious diseases. Nothing. I've preached this here. I've preached it to my patients over the years. Mass quarantine this and stay-at-home that are feel good measures and just utter folly.

If I were in charge,

1- Everybody practices good hygiene. Everybody.
2- If you're asymptomatic, go about your business.
3- If you're sysmptomatic but not serious (like chest pain or shortness of breath or confusion, etc.), stay home and rest. Talk to your physician for guidance. You don't need to be around other folks. Minor cough or runny nose or sore throat is not a reason to flood the ER that's already overburdened.
4- If you're seriously sysmptomatic, yes, call 911/go to ER.

I've been in direct patient care (adults and children) since the early 90s (ER, urgent care, primary care, employee health care) and have been in contacts with various kinds of communicable diseases (bacterial and viral meningitis, influenza, cold, and many other respiratory illnesses), and not once have I been knocked down by any of these. Good health is a factor, but I also attribute it to good hygiene practice.

Q

Posts: 27515 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

Yup. My wife just returned from Seoul, South Korea, after a 2-month visit of her family...

Great advice, Q. Thank you.

Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
If this hoax...yes...HOAX...isn't another Fake News Media coup, I just don't know what is. Un-freaking-believable, what the general population (to include some on this board) will swallow.

Sorry to interrupt the panic and hysteria...please proceed!

You feel really emboldened, don't you? Why don't you have some respect for people who are concerned?

Year V

Posts: 2672 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here in Arizona ( both the wife and I work in healthcare) many facilities are decreasing staff and shutting units down. People that used to show up to the hospital for petty nonsense are not showing up, and with elective surgery cancelled ( the aftermath of which is my wife’s bread and butter work) she has come home early a few times in the last couple weeks. Under normal circumstances she often stays hours after her usual stop time to keep things running.
Other areas are obviously much harder hit.
I saw a meme on Facebook showing the areas with the worst corona concentrations are also leftist sanctuary cities- reap what you sow
Overall I agree shutting down a country for what has turned out to be a relatively isolated problem is a mistake.
After this is over (perhaps too optimistic) I would hope the people that avoided going to ER’s and bogging down the system with petty illness and injury would continue to so after the panic is over.
Sadly I think the worst time to be in healthcare and emergency services in particular is when the all clear is sounded and people with inappropriate complaints and concerns start over utilizing the ER again

Posts: 3375 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I were in charge,

1- Everybody practices good hygiene. Everybody.

And how would you propose enforcing that?

In the last couple weeks or so, on my increasingly rare forays into the danger zone (outside the house) I have seen not a single individual employing good hygiene practices when out and about. And I've been watching, because I've been curious.

I watched a young woman, standing in front of me at a CVS this afternoon, with packages in hand, grab a couple candy bars off a shelf, handle a couple others for inspection and put them back, then proceed to rub her nose.

Behind me, in the line at the pharmacy counter, there were three people. They were separated from me by six feet, because the store had taped red "X"s on the floor. But they were all standing close enough to one another to feel one anothers' breath.

quote:
3- If you're sysmptomatic but not serious (like chest pain or shortness of breath or confusion, etc.), stay home and rest. Talk to your physician for guidance. You don't need to be around other folks.

How would you enforce that?

When I was still employed: If I felt myself getting sick I'd call in sick and stay home until it "crested" and was clearly on its way back down. Not a single one of my cow-orkers did that. I've seen people at work so sick they could barely keep themselves upright in their chairs. "Can't afford to take the time off" was the usual excuse. But others, for which that wouldn't be an issue, were more inclined to answer "Too much work to do" or "It's no problem, I can work through it."

quote:
... not once have I been knocked down by any of these. Good health is a factor, but I also attribute it to good hygiene practice.

I almost never take the annual flu shot. I can count the number of times I've been sick in the last twenty years or so on one hand and have fingers left over. Part of the reason is I have an exceptionally robust immune system. But I'm also hygienic. Not anally so, but consistently so.

But that's you and me, Q. Most people are lazy, stupid, ignorant, inconsiderate or some combination of the four.

As I've pointed out, before: That is also one of the big differences between how S. Korea and the U.S. are handling this. S. Korea has warned its citizens of the dangers, told them what they had to do to counter the threat, and, by all accounts, most S. Koreans are doing that. Americans on the whole do not behave that way.

You've been in direct patient care. Surely you must know these things?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
Here in Arizona ( both the wife and I work in healthcare) many facilities are decreasing staff and shutting units down.

Family member works at Fauquier Hospital and the same is happening. No need to treat imaginary patients so they are sending staff home. The only places being hit hard are those that live in substandard living conditions (HVAC systems can only pull out so much shit when you live on top of each other breathing the same shitty air) and those elderly patients that had a foot in the grave to begin with. I practice social distancing on the regular. That's why I live where I live. Who knows, after this is over, maybe we'll see a remake of Green Acres as thousands figure out Manhattan isn't as great for your health as the country side.

Posts: 2859 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:
If this hoax...yes...HOAX...isn't another Fake News Media coup, I just don't know what is...

I am not following you. Are you saying the article I posted is fake news?.
Negative sir. Just the opposite. I'm supporting your post by saying the Fake News Media has just been SALIVATING to create the NEXT BIG HOAX to pin on President Trump. The reason in my post is embedded in the second sentence you posted..."...based on whether they believe it will harm or help Trump". I guaran-damn-tee they're not posting ANYTHING that will help Trump.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
I saw a meme on Facebook showing the areas with the worst corona concentrations are also leftist sanctuary cities- reap what you sow
Overall I agree shutting down a country for what has turned out to be a relatively isolated problem is a mistake.
After this is over (perhaps too optimistic) I would hope the people that avoided going to ER’s and bogging down the system with petty illness and injury would continue to so after the panic is over.
Sadly I think the worst time to be in healthcare and emergency services in particular is when the all clear is sounded and people with inappropriate complaints and concerns start over utilizing the ER again

Even Cuomo, Leftist leader of NY State said "Not sure if closing all businesses, keeping everyone home was 'the best public health strategy'"

https://www.foxnews.com/us/cuo...blic-health-strategy

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
... I guaran-damn-tee they're not posting ANYTHING that will help Trump.

Thanks, erj_pilot. And I agree.

Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5677 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post