SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 ... 1212
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:
Originally posted by PeteF:
quote:
Originally posted by Patriot:
Why is this different?

Because this has Emergency Use Authorization only.
It is not approved. It has not been tested for efficacy or side effects.
There are zero long term studies etc.

Plus healthy, young people are at more risk of being struck by lightening, ...

All of that factors into the statistical analysis:

April 24, 2021
How to Make a COVID Vaccination Decision

In the debate over whether one should or should not get the COVID vaccination, much has been said about the “science.” However, I’m not sure any encyclopedic knowledge of “science” is required to make this health decision. Simple statistical analysis should suffice to inform one’s ultimate decision.

Statistics is primarily a study of probabilities. Fortunately, as regards COVID mortality rates, these probabilities are now known. That is, COVID mortality statistics broken down by age cohorts are now “known knowables.”

For example, through statistics as of April 7, the odds an American under the age of 25 would die from COVID were 1-in-106,217. On the extreme other end of the age spectrum, the odds an American 85 or older would die from the disease were an eye-opening 1-in-39.4. (Not surprisingly, albeit under-reported, the largest category of COVID victims by age cohort is Americans 85 and older).

This means that the probability a person in our country’s oldest age cohort (85 and older) will die from or with COVID is 2,696 times greater than the nation’s youngest citizens (those under the age of 25).

Given these statistics, If I was much older, I would almost certainly get the vaccine. But since I’m not in this age group, I don’t think there’s any pressing need for me to get the vaccine. That is, I can afford to wait and learn of any possible long-term (or short-term) negative effects.
Iran's Goals

As my young children’s odds of dying from COVID are probably around 1-in-700,000, I definitely don’t think they should get a vaccine... especially where the long-term effects of these vaccines are the very definition of “unknowable.”

One’s race and whether one would qualify as obese are other important variables that either increase or reduce one’s mortality risks of COVID. Mortality among minority populations is significantly higher than non-minorities. I also recently learned that 68 percent of COVID victims met the medical definition of “obese.”

That is, one’s age, race, as well as one’s “body mass index” are all crucial variables in correctly calculating one’s own specific “risks” of dying of COVID-19. And, again, “health risks” can be quantified when seeking to calculate one’s own probability of dying from COVID.

It is also, by now, a “known knowable” that about 50 percent of people who have been vaccinated will experience some negative side effects. Typically, these side effects are minor, ranging from a sore arm to a day or two of “flulike” symptoms. Also, even the most zealous boosters of universal vaccination would acknowledge that a tiny percentage of those who have been vaccinated will experience significant adverse reactions (including death in some “anomaly” cases).

Basically, simple statistical analysis of known data tells most Americans if they are in the group who should get vaccinated.

However, if a person happens to belong to groups which include almost a zero probability of dying from COVID, why would such a person swap this microscopic risk of dying when he or she knows they have a coin-flip chance of experiencing at least some minor discomfort caused by the vaccine? Furthermore, why would one assume these “knowable” risks when it’s impossible (at the moment) to know any of the possible long-term effects?

As for those who have already contracted the virus (especially those in younger age groups), research and known data tells us that the probability any of these people will contract the virus again -- and then die from it -- are as close to zero as one can get.

Those in this category would also seem to be assuming many “known” -- and even likely -- statistical risks… All to prevent an outcome that, expressed statistically, is almost an impossibility.

All this said, I certainly believe any adult who wants to get a vaccine should do so. At some point, I might choose to get vaccinated. What bothers me is when people tell individuals like me that we should get the vaccine. What really alarms me is the group that is advocating for mandatory vaccines for everyone, including my young children (who, literally, have a greater chance of being struck by lightning than dying from COVID).

Friends have told me there is “no good reason” to not get vaccinated. This is simply not true. There are dozens of valid reasons someone can decide to pass on the vaccine, or at least wait a little longer to allow more time to gauge the results and possible side effects. This is especially true for those whose own risks of dying from the virus are, statistically, almost nonexistent.

https://www.americanthinker.co...nation_decision.html

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24328 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You left out a group of patients that have had Covid and now have serious medical issues. Sadly many of these are in the younger age groups. I do not think we have accurate stats on that group, although we should.

Posts: 17378 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
It’s been over a year folks.
Please remember to wash your face diaper.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
This mother has my greatest respect. I wish all mothers, all parents, had this same passion and courage to speak out. Putting masks on our children for over a year now has been one of the most shameful, inglorious actions i have witnessed in my adult life. Shame on us.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30671 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ Bravo!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38927 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MIT Study Challenges Social Distancing Guidelines, 6 Foot Rule

https://www.newsmax.com/us/cov...21/04/24/id/1018849/

A new study published by researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology says you’re no safer from COVID-19 indoors at 6 feet or 60 feet, challenging social distance policies.

The study, led by Martin Z. Bazant, a chemical engineering and applied mathematics teacher, and John W.M. Bush, a professor of applied mathematics, argues that there "really isn't much of a benefit to the 6-foot rule, especially when people are wearing masks," Bazant told CNBC.

"It really has no physical basis because the air a person is breathing while wearing a mask tends to rise and comes down elsewhere in the room so you're more exposed to the average background than you are to a person at a distance," he added.

The study points out that contrary to arguments by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization, the amount of time you spend with an infected person indoors puts you at risk due to the air currents moving in the background.

The researchers say opening windows and installing fans is just as good as spending large amounts of money on expensive air filters. Researchers also said indoor occupancy caps were also flawed, saying 20 people gathered together for one minute inside would be fine.

"What our analysis continues to show is that many spaces that have been shut down in fact don't need to be," Bazant told CNBC. "Often times the space is large enough, the ventilation is good enough, the amount of time people spend together is such that those spaces can be safely operated even at full capacity and the scientific support for reduced capacity in those spaces is really not very good...think if you run the numbers, even right now for many types of spaces you'd find that there is not a need for occupancy restrictions.

"This emphasis on distancing has been really misplaced from the very beginning," he added.

"The CDC or WHO have never really provided justification for it, they've just said this is what you must do and the only justification I'm aware of, is based on studies of coughs and sneezes, where they look at the largest particles that might sediment onto the floor and even then it's very approximate, you can certainly have longer or shorter range, large droplets.

"If you look at the air flow outside, the infected air would be swept away and very unlikely to cause transmission. There are very few recorded instances of outdoor transmission...Crowded spaces outdoor could be an issue, but if people are keeping a reasonable distance of like 3 feet outside, I feel pretty comfortable with that even without masks frankly."

"We need scientific information conveyed to the public in a way that is not just fearmongering but is actually based in analysis," Bazant said.

https://www.pnas.org/content/118/17/e2018995118

Posts: 12864 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
A few hundred people gather in London. Wink

LONDON 24th April 2021 - ONE LOVE ONE HEART - WE ARE THE LIGHT LOVE PEOPLE

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4838 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
^^^ Bravo!

Hell Yes!

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4838 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
Leigh Dundas Human Rights lawyer dropping more bombs!!

-- George Orwell

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I don’t know about you but I haven’t worn a face diaper outdoors yet and don’t plan to ever, but Saint Fauci may soon “allow” us proles to stop masking up outdoors IF we take his Holy Vaccine:

Link

Fuck off you little troll, I don’t need your permission or that of the CDC or that doddering old man in the WH TO DO SHIT Mad

Posts: 34160 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I went into one retail establishment and two restaurants this weekend. I went into my doctors and my dentist today. I didn't wear a mask anywhere. No one asked me to put one on and I didn't detect stink eye from anyone. I think folks in Ohio are tired of our governor and his extended power trip.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5699 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
my dentist required one to walk in the door - I asked how they were going to work on my teeth through a mask

they said I would have to take it off, so I did, the nurse went nuts and I left

seriously, how does the virus know I'm in a chair being worked on and standing upright walking through a doorway

Posts: 53470 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
seriously, how does the virus know I'm in a chair being worked on and standing upright walking through a doorway

It's the smartest virus in the history of the world.

It is able to tell entrances from exits. It knows what time it is. It only travels one direction down store aisles. These smart viruses didn't exist when I was a kid.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15783 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
I have to wear a mask at work, but I do so sparingly and with common sense. If I’m not in uniform, I never wear a mask anywhere. The only way this nonsense ends is mass non-compliance, there’s no other resolution.

Posts: 2420 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Looks like Phizer is trialing a “pill to cure Covid”; if it was so simple, why did they and other companies spend so much time trying to create a vaccine for a virus with such a low mortality? Money perhaps?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/w...-available-year/amp/

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15712 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:
I have to wear a mask at work, but I do do sparingly. If I’m not in uniform, I never wear a mask anywhere. The only way this nonsense ends is mass non-compliance, there’s no other resolution.

Exactly. Mass non-compliance is the only way. And it's not that first person who refuses to wear the mask who's important. It's the 2nd person and then the 3rd. Those are the brave ones we need, and I'm just not seeing them yet. My dream is in the near future to be in the airport and on an airplane where everyone together refuses to wear the mask. Damn that would be glorious and would gladden my heart like few things have as of late. So far, I'm the only one out of literally a thousand people I see walking around the airport without a mask. It's pathetic and disheartening. Where did America go?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30671 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Canadian Doctor Defies Gag Order - Tells Public How Moderna COVID Shots Killed and Disabled Patients

https://rumble.com/vg4r6h-cana...vid-shots-kille.html

Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post

What the fff...? Are you absolutely shitting me? This was a thing? All this time I was being mandated to wear a mask outside? Kiss my ass. Oh wait, I guess I'm still supposed to since I'm not "fully vaccinated." Good lord. Fuck off. The CDC doesn't tell us what we can and can't do.

How can a headline like that just not piss off every red blooded American?

Meanwhile, a friend of mine just told me about seeing a dude placing masks over the AC vents in his car...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

posted Hide Post
Governor Lee (Tennessee) lifts public health orders, mask mandates can no longer be issued in most counties

https://wcyb.com/news/local/te...-no-longer-be-issued

Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee announced Tuesday that the statewide COVID-19 public health orders have been lifted and that the local authority to issue mask mandates in 89 of 95 counties is no longer allowed.

“COVID-19 is now a managed public health issue in Tennessee and no longer a statewide public health emergency,” said Gov. Lee. “As Tennesseans continue to get vaccinated, it’s time to lift remaining local restrictions, focus on economic recovery and get back to business in Tennessee.”

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
The corrupt machine that pushed this tripe on us is watching it disintegrate before their eyes. Watch for the fed to start claiming that through their Herculean efforts, they defeated covid-19, but we MUST REMAIN VIGILANT.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15712 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post