SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 ... 1214
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I was talking with the Missus about this yesterday. My problem is I am not an epidemiologist or expert in communicable diseases. Therefore, I am forced to rely on the msm for my news. I still don't know what to think about all this Covid nonsense. It used to be in this country that one could believe what the talking heads on tv told us. Now, EVERYTHING is fed through a filter (does it make Trump look bad, does it make conservatives look bad, etc). So, I don't know if what the media is telling me is true.

Also, the media has a vested interest in public panic. They benefit materially from internet clicks and people watching their 24/7 news shows. So, the more sensational and OMGWEAREALLGOINGTODIE!! it is, the better. Again, I have to filter out all the crap and try to discern the truth.

My wife told me the secret - I look at what President Trump says, and base my reactions off that. Since no other source I can find is truly reliable, I'll take my cues from POTUS.

From the beginning, I thought this was over-blown hype. It was just too convenient that the panic was used to make the president look bad and hurt the economy (both of which overwhelmingly support the dems and their cause). Now, it's starting to 'get real.' I'm still not concerned about getting the disease, but I have friends and family in the 'danger zone' (old age combined with health issues). My biggest worry is the panic-buying and runs on food. I went to Costco yesterday, and there was NOT A SINGLE BAG of dog food. Thank God I have about a 2 month supply, but the danger of not having enough food to go around is what really concerns me. . .

This panic-buying is like driving. Every car going faster than me is a "maniac." Every car slower is an "idiot." So, everybody buying more food and toilet paper than me is a maniac for driving panic-buying and hording, while everybody buying less is an idiot for not being prepared.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21928 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
My problem is I am not an epidemiologist or expert in communicable diseases.

My wife told me the secret - I look at what President Trump says, and base my reactions off that. Since no other source I can find is truly reliable, I'll take my cues from POTUS.

Since Trump is not an epidemiologist or expert in communicable diseases either, maybe you should instead listen to Trump's chosen medical experts.

A few weeks ago, when there were 15 known cases in the US, in the same news conference, Trump's medical experts declared that this WAS going to spread throughout the United States, while Trump said there would soon be 0 cases and everything was completely under control. Who was right?

Dr. Anthony Fauci has probably been the most visible member of Trump's group of medical experts and has a long history of being a calm rational voice on infectious disease issues.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Neighbor girl just brought a package with 2 chocolate chip cookies, an art project painted on a rock and a piece of paper with doodles and “Don’t worry be happy” written on it.

Nice.

eta - nobody believes there is any chance you can get this from food. I’m eating those damn things, washing my hands and smiling at my low-carb wife.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12708 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Killer
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

The wife and I did this about 3 weeks ago. Except one of my bp meds he would only do 90 days. I called back today and said I will certainly come in for my blood work in 3 months but if it shows the med is working and I can’t get any what good is that. Please give me 2 refills for 180 days total. I will gladly pay for them myself as I’m sure insurance won’t. Then I will have 270 days worth and feel much better. Haven’t heard back yet.[/QUOTE]

I did the self pay for 180 days three weeks ago as well.

Posts: 333 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: December 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Neighbor girl just brought a package with 2 chocolate chip cookies, an art project painted on a rock and a piece of paper with doodles and “Don’t worry be happy” written on it.

Nice.

Where is that poke it with a stick emoji Eek

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Pretty accurate. (It helps to have watched The Walking Dead before.)

https://twitter.com/i/status/1239965552283488257

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Students will not return to shools in Florida until at least April 15. However, online classes will begin when the extended spring break is over. So my kids get to do school from home starting March 30th. To quote the immortal words of Flounder: "This is gonna to be great!".

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
Every spring, cold and flu season dies off. These viruses die off in warmer weather, correct?

"Make sure to put your jacket on—you don't want to catch a cold." —Mom

Mom, you don't catch a cold from the cold. It's a virus. You catch a cold from people, and in the winter, when you're indoors around people more often than in the summer, you're more susceptible to catch a cold from people who have a cold.

Year V

Posts: 2674 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5723 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
lol / wtf

Bob, Bobby, Don't Worry, close enough I guess.

Big Grin

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
lol / wtf

Bob, Bobby, Don't Worry, close enough I guess.

Big Grin

Next up Bobby Brown with Three Little Birds

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am surprised that some member call this wuhan virus nothing burger.
Oh well...

Posts: 621 | Location: WA  | Registered: June 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
"some member"? If you can't say it don't say it.

This whole thing has been blown so far out of proportion that the impact of the virus will be nothing compared to what it's done to the world economy. Just as has been noted several times in this thread, we did not react this way in 2009 when H1N1 killed 14,000 Americans, and you damn well know what the difference is this time around, and it's not the severity of the virus. It's freaking politics.

It was not necessary to bring the economy to a halt. Anyone who doesn't know that shouldn't be sounding off on this matter.

So, yeah, it was a nothing burger that leftists seized upon with glee. Figure it out.

So, if you have something to say, then say it. If not, leave the pussy-footing for some other forum. Speak up.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109162 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Screw this virus for a few hours. It's St. Patrick's Day, just had some corned beef, cabbage, and potatoes with a wee bit of Tullamore Dew. I refuse to go nuts worrying about it. Prepared with a positive mental attitude, yes. Aware of the signs and symptoms, yes. Ready to help a neighbor, yes. Panic manic, fighting over toilet paper or Clorox wipes, no.

Posts: 3406 | Location: Fairfax Co. VA | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
Screw this virus for a few hours. It's St. Patrick's Day, just had some corned beef, cabbage, and potatoes with a wee bit of Tullamore Dew. I refuse to go nuts worrying about it. Prepared with a positive mental attitude, yes. Aware of the signs and symptoms, yes. Ready to help a neighbor, yes. Panic manic, fighting over toilet paper or Clorox wipes, no.
Yes! And further, all this doesn't change a damn thing come November. President Trump will be here for a 2nd great term. We all will see to that. KAG.

Posts: 17987 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:
The governor of Kansas just announced that all K-12 schools will be closed for the rest of the year. (!) That includes private schooks.

What? That seems, well, excessive.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:
The governor of Kansas just announced that all K-12 schools will be closed for the rest of the year. (!) That includes private schooks.

What? That seems, well, excessive.

Get ready for the wave.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5725 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Totally hyped by the press into the giant mess it has become.
And I just got the word that my "elective" hip replacement has been pushed back indefinitely!
It doesn't feel like it's "elective surgery" to me.
Crap, was hoping to be up and running by summer.
Thankfully the restaurants/bars in WV are still open.

Posts: 372 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skyline009:
I am surprised that some member call this wuhan virus nothing burger.
Oh well...
I'm was borderline nothing burger to standard flu.

Obviously we are in a complete and utter media fueled panic frenzy, regardless if it's a nothing burger, strong flu, or what have you. Whether or not this is just a slight over-reaction to a over-reaction of Epic proportions remains to be seen.

At this point there isn't much use in debating it until all the post drama data is in, because it just results in large walls of text, inferences, and best guesses.

My educated guess is we'll settle on a large over-reaction being the consensus, give or take.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post