SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 ... 1214
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
New York is a very big "hotspot":

1700 cases now confirmed...
Washington State used to be the Wu Flu leader, now it's New York with its' high population density.

I am wondering if it has to do with their eating habits that is; NYC people seem to have a tendency to eat out more often than the rest of the nation and hence, with the virulence of the virus, NYC may be in a position to spread the virus with more efficiency.

It is also one of the biggest travel destinations in the world with over 60 million having traveled through it last year.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5938 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
You guys broke SGammo.com.

They shut off their website and it says they are too far behind to take new ammo orders.

Posts: 6705 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:

They shut off their website and it says they are too far behind to take new ammo orders.

Um yeah...sorry 'bout that. Wink

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

I doubt that was us. The thought of buying more ammo during all this didn't even cross my mind. I was already stocked to the gills.

I have a feeling most here were in the same position as me.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30952 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

I doubt that was us. The thought of buying more ammo during all this didn't even cross my mind. I was already stocked to the gills.

I have a feeling most here were in the same position as me.

ummmmm… errrrr…. uh, sorry.

Posts: 16204 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
Like Balse said above, and Para earlier, ammo is NOT a concern for the wife and I!!

Posts: 1299 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
I contribute on Quora and have been getting lots of questions that go: “When will martial law be declared” or “Can you travel to another city under martial law?”

After wondering why there were so many martial law questions being asked we did some research. There is evidence that at least one foreign nation is spreading disinformation.

CNN reports:
“The various false text messages forwarded to many Americans on Sunday and Monday all started a little differently before making the same debunked claim: Martial law is coming.

Martial law is not coming. U.S. politicians sought Monday to remove any doubt and publicly debunked the rumors. But the messages proved hard to stop or even trace, because they were shared in texts, often forwarded by people who meant well.

"Please be advised. Within 48 to 72 hours the President will evoke what is called the Stafford Act. Stock up on whatever you guys need to make sure you have a two week supply of everything. Please forward to your network," one such false text message read.”

Some users, even those who have no intention of spreading wrong information, are forwarding along viral rumors and urban legends to push vital information that is frequently untrue.

The text messages have unnerved many Americans who don't know how seriously to take them, as they have often gotten them from friends or relatives. While it's difficult to track how widespread the texts have become, many people on social media have posted screenshots, and the rumors have swirled enough to push authorities to address them.”

Another article:

“As new coronavirus continues to spread across the nation, local and state governments have, in some places, established curfews or ordered public places to limit their occupancy or close up shop altogether. On the federal level, President Trump has issued a ban on all travel between the U.S. and Europe, most recently including the UK and Ireland.

But the increase in rules has also led to the circulation of rumors about the establishment of a COVID-19-spurred martial law. The term was trending on Twitter, though using incorrect spelling: “marshall” law.

“There is an ongoing effort to spread disinformation and cause undue panic. There is no national quarantine for the United States. It’s important we remain vigilant in ensuring our information is coming from verified sources," a senior Trumpadministration official told Fox News regarding rumors of a nationwide quarantine.

On Sunday, federal officials began confronting what they said was a deliberate effort by a foreign entity to sow fears of a nationwide quarantine amid the virus outbreak. Agencies took coordinated action Sunday evening to deny that any such plans were put in place, as they tried to calm a nation already on edge by disruptions to daily life caused by the virus.”

“Text message rumors of a national #quarantine are FAKE,” the National Security Council posted to Twitter on Sunday night. “There is no national lockdown

https://www.foxbusiness.com/po...ion-hhs-cyber-attack

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/t...xt-messages-n1160936

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6065 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Someone mentioned Palmetto being busy and everyone carrying out rifles a couple days ago.

No longer... Palmetto closed yesterday until further notice.

Posts: 10061 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Meanwhile, in the land of low IQs, millenials are licking shitters.

Seeing our young adults in action is so inspirational and gives me hope for the future.

Posts: 8911 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:
Meanwhile, in the land of low IQs, millenials are licking shitters.

Seeing our young adults in action is so inspirational and gives me hope for the future.

When they start doing that in a used port-o-john.. I might pay attention.

But seriously, these ppl can vote. /sigh

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2713 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
Having said that, warm temperatures may, possibly, diminish the virus's ability to spread. Equatorial zones are, in fact, seeing a slight reduction in transmission. This could be artifact (not enough "n") or it could mean that there will indeed be a seasonal effect on this pathogen. I still hold out a possibility, although researchers disagree. We shall see.

That is a question I have been meaning to ask;

Every spring, cold and flu season dies off. These viruses die off in warmer weather, correct?

Are there other viruses in the cold and flu family that do not die off in warmer weather?

And if not the cold and flu family, just viruses in general that are not affected by warmer weather?

It does pique my interest that the experts are saying this one may not. I tend to think they are being overly cautious, because they simply do not know. And that would be fine. Or is there any evidence to support their theory?

Since it has been in the mid 80's in Orlando for over a week, I am obviously hoping this pathogen is greatly affected by warmer weather.

Posts: 2359 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
quote:
Originally posted by springnr:
I'm posting a couple of videos on possible medicines whose use might aggravate covid-19 conditions, leading to a worse outcome.

My personal thinking is that it's far too early to tell from limited studies, or the course of the disease itself, what does or doesn't increase risk (other than well established preventive measures such as limiting contact, and known comorbidities), particularly with existing pharmacotherapy that may be necessary to prevent stroke or cardiac events - from which a patient may be at higher risk. Important as always to ask your own physician.
As we see broader testing and both increased deaths (unfortunately), and increased recoveries, we'll know more and can make better recommendations based on reasonable data.

Thanks Doc, appreciate your thoughts and addition reading material. I'm due for a refill for BP meds and will hit her up while requesting a 180 day script vs 90 day fill if possible.

Posts: 441 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
On Sunday, federal officials began confronting what they said was a deliberate effort by a foreign entity to sow fears of a nationwide quarantine amid the virus outbreak. Agencies took coordinated action Sunday evening to deny that any such plans were put in place, as they tried to calm a nation already on edge by disruptions to daily life caused by the virus.”

Between this and the People's Republic of China working overtime to convince the world that Kung Flu did not originate in China and that it came to China when US soldiers participated in an international competition in Wuhan, I'm starting to sense in intense pucker factor in Beijing. Are those idiots actually worried that we're going to take advantage of the virus and its various effects on the PRC to attack the PRC?

Posts: 27303 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
... I'm starting to sense in intense pucker factor in Beijing. Are those idiots actually worried that we're going to take advantage of the virus and its various effects on the PRC to attack the PRC?

I think they're more concerned people might be getting the idea that having all our stuff manufactured in their country is not such a great idea.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BMR:
The author raises some very thought provoking points. From the projected numbers I've seen from the CDC, potentially 2.2 million people could die if this disease is not mitigated. Not a tiny number, but still only about .67% of the total population. Are we willing to destroy our economy to mitigate the China virus? Maybe a massive mobilization of resources to build temporary hospitals for those that require it would be the better option.

But 2.2M deaths would require a 100% infection rate.

The estimate I saw was a 40%-70% infection rate. (From Harvard)

Based on Dr. Birx's statistic from today, COVID-19 seems to have a .7% mortality rate outside of Wuhan.

That would leave the deaths between 924K and 1.61M.

Posts: 2359 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
stop

Posts: 109158 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
So you can't go for a walk, but you can go for a run? With a permission slip? Who the fuck signs that permission slip?

Is there a speed you have to maintain before that job turns into a walk?

Is parkour acceptable??

Asking the important questions.

Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
The governor of Kansas just announced that all K-12 schools will be closed for the rest of the year. (!) That includes private schools.

My nephew is a DJ at a local radio station, he was told earlier today to go home, he and the other on air personalities are to record their “bumps”, etc by remote.

Posts: 12236 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
“We’re looking at sending checks to Americans immediately,” Mnuchin said during a press briefing from the White House. “Americans need cash now, the president wants to get cash now. I mean now—in the next few weeks.”

quote:

Wasn't me either. I'm well stocked and have supplies to make some 70,000 rounds in a variety of shapes and sizes. Oh wait...all that stuff went down in that boating incident in the Gulf. Frown [hangs head sobbing...]

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
Thanks Doc, appreciate your thoughts and addition reading material. I'm due for a refill for BP meds and will hit her up while requesting a 180 day script vs 90 day fill if possible.[/QUOTE]

The wife and I did this about 3 weeks ago. Except one of my bp meds he would only do 90 days. I called back today and said I will certainly come in for my blood work in 3 months but if it shows the med is working and I can’t get any what good is that. Please give me 2 refills for 180 days total. I will gladly pay for them myself as I’m sure insurance won’t. Then I will have 270 days worth and feel much better. Haven’t heard back yet.

Posts: 1299 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post