SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 ... 1212
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I saw a new dentist yesterday for x-rays and an assessment. The dental hygienist who did the work remarked that she was amazed I came in. I asked why, and she looked at me like I sprouted a second head. I guess the one high school on the other side of town closing for a day to be "sterilized" and it has most of the town freaked out.

The fear from this is going to impact a lot more people than the disease.

Posts: 17385 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I wonder if we’ll ever get the full body count from China; herding millions into cramped conditions and the only medical attention you give them is a cot to either recover or die on is not a sound method for success.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15712 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I saw a new dentist yesterday for x-rays and an assessment. The dental hygienist who did the work remarked that she was amazed I came in. I asked why, and she looked at me like I sprouted a second head. I guess the one high school on the other side of town closing for a day to be "sterilized" and it has most of the town freaked out.

The fear from this is going to impact a lot more people than the disease.

My dentist has his office in the 4th floor of a hospital, my six month cleaning is coming up shortly. I’ve been on the fence to cancel or not?

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The reason I mention the continuous posts pointing out that the seasonal flu kills more people than COVID-19 has (thus far) is because by themselves they are superfluous to this discussion. If that’s all they consist of, then why stop there? Why not mention all the people who die of heart disease, drug overdoses, traffic accidents, or the complications of diabetes? If, however, they are a complaint about the so-called hysteria over this disease as compared with all those other killers, then stating that complaint would have become very tedious very long ago, but at least we would know why someone was cluttering up the thread with them.

Without either mentioning all the other things that kill us besides the flu or at least making it clear that someone was merely pitching a bitch about they fact that he can’t bear to turn off the teevee or other sources of his complaint or otherwise just ignore them, then those of us who read them are justified in drawing our own conclusions about why such comments are made so often.

My conclusion is that the motive many people have for making the statement is a form of “I’m not afraid, why are you?” and “Anyone who stocks up on supplies that may disappear or changes his lifestyle because of this disease is an irrational Chicken Little,” form of virtue signaling intended to make us feel good about our own inaction by ridiculing others. Plus, of course, I don’t even have to always assume that about every such post because often something similar is clearly stated. In other words, if we’re not trying to suggest that there is no reason to take precautionary measures in response to this disease, then why draw comparisons between it and others at all?

I of course may be wrong about the motives I believe prompt the recurring “Flu kills more than this disease” (so far) posts. Perhaps people merely feel it’s necessary to say the same thing that has been pointed out a couple of dozen times before without believing anyone should treat their comment as indirectly chiding them for worrying about this one. If so, I’ll just mention the old adage about shoes that fit.

And finally, why don’t I just ignore this thread? Because I’m interested in the useful information that gets posted here, and I don’t believe it would be appropriate to start another on the topic even if it were accompanied by the request to keep the responses useful. So thanks to those who have thus far kept it usefully informative.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47505 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
The reason I mention the continuous posts pointing out that the seasonal flu kills more people than COVID-19 has (thus far) is because by themselves they are superfluous to this discussion.

Agreed.

quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
And finally, why don’t I just ignore this thread? Because I’m interested in the useful information that gets posted here, ... So thanks to those who have thus far kept it usefully informative.

Same here.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Is this going to be the new normal for a while? Frown

quote:

A group of passengers panicked when they saw a fellow traveler coughing and sneezing. It turns out he just had allergies, reports say.

Link

My next door neighbor experienced something very similar just yesterday. While waiting for his train home last night, a guy facing the tracks coughed and the guy behind him started screaming that he didn't cover his mouth. Within minutes they were fighting and yelling at each other on a crowded train platform. Truly insane.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
National Guard to assist with Containment Area around New Rochelle, NY

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said a containment area will be set up in the city of New Rochelle as Westchester County works to stop the spread of coronavirus. Schools and facilities within will be closed for two weeks, and the National Guard will deploy to this area to help support the community.

Health Commissioner Dr. Howard Zucker said the area is a circle with a radius of about one mile.

Starting on Thursday, facilities and schools within the area will be closed for two weeks. The National Guard will help deliver food to homes and clean public spaces in the containment area, Cuomo said, describing the plan as a "dramatic action."

This will go on through March 25.

Cuomo described it as a “matter of life and death.”

New York is also setting up a satellite testing facility, partnering with Northwell Health, in New Rochelle, which is in Westchester County.

New Rochelle is “a particular problem,” Cuomo said, adding that “the numbers have been going up, the numbers continue to go up, the numbers are going up unabated.”

Cuomo stressed the shutting facilities in the area is a "dramatic action" that applies to “large congregate facilities for gatherings,” including schools and temples, but not "everything."

Posts: 482 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:

This guy is such an asshole and lives to stick it to the POTUS every chance he gets. There is NO FREAKING REASON to be calling out the National Guard at this point. Are you kidding me? You want to start a panic, this is how you start a panic: "Mommy, why is there a soldier with a gun standing outside on the street?"

Goddamn asshole. Mad

Posts: 34160 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Let's optimistically hope they show up with water bottles rather than rifles. Supposedly in an assist role that will happen.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12515 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

This guy is such an asshole and lives to stick it to the POTUS every chance he gets. There is NO FREAKING REASON to be calling out the National Guard at this point. Are you kidding me? You want to start a panic, this is how you start a panic: "Mommy, why is there a soldier with a gun standing outside on the street?"

Goddamn asshole. Mad

He truly is just a posturing asshole. I saw it firsthand with Katrina. He has eyes on running in 2024.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5926 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
San Diego County, per today's Union-Tribune now has its first confirmed case of Covid-19. It's a woman who returned from a country other than China, now hospitalized.
Per the article CDC until now has only recommended reporting to county and state health departments the identities of passengers returning from China (nd now Iran); NOT Italy, South Korea, or Japan.

Similarly, testing for SARS-CoV-2 has been denied people with symptoms returning from affected countries other than China.

My impression is that CDC has been consistently behind the eight ball on this, it has improved since Pence's task force was organized, but is still not doing an adequate job of reporting, much less testing.

If anyone will save us, it will be private sector labs that will greatly increase case finding and decrease the need for unnecessary quarantines.

Posts: 18203 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dzozer:
. This posting in this office is diametrically opposed to what the CDC and NIH have posted as guidelines.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm

To estimate how easily a virus spreads, scientists calculate its "basic reproduction number," or R0 (pronounced R-nought). R0 predicts the number of people who can catch a given bug from a single infected person, Live Science previously reported. Currently, the R0 for SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes the disease COVID-19, is estimated at about 2.2

Link

Picture showing R0 factory of SARS (4) and Measles (18)

The picture on page 77 of this thread shows about the same fatality rate for those under 50, within .1%.

The election year part? Not sure about that

Maybe the CDC just likes to be diametric? Big Grin

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3966 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by midwest guy:
quote:
Originally posted by Dzozer:
. This posting in this office is diametrically opposed to what the CDC and NIH have posted as guidelines.

BOGUS! Combining different postings, and further misstatings.
https://www.wusa9.com/article/...0c-a5fc-cb438271f437

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2742 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave7378:
quote:
quote:

Goddamn asshole. Mad

He truly is just a posturing asshole. I saw it firsthand with Katrina. He has eyes on running in 2024.

Trump needs to run with this and make the comparison to the obvious Chinese model of guaranteeing the virus infects as many people as possible. And also guarantees that it breaks free of containment because people will FLEE.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15712 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We may have a better picture 2 weeks after spring break

Posts: 1426 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Has anyone noticed or noted that the John's Hopkins tracking site is no longer tracking data by city, but it's now by state? Roll Eyes

Big Grin

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6866 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I did notice it pinned LA in Baton Rouge rather than New Orleans area where that case popped up. Didn't realize that was by design rather than accident.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12515 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post

Posts: 16525 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
Went to Costco earlier. Strolled down the paper isle just out of curiosity. Yep, no TP.

Maybe it's just the mindset of the type of people who shop at Costco? (Like my father's wife, she regularly has more paper towels stocked in the garage than I use in 6-7 years)

I've been in a grocery store 6 of the last 7 days and have check the TP isle out of curiosity every time and the shelves are stocked.

I keep joking about going and filling up two shopping carts full of TP and walking around the store to see if I could cause a panic. Big Grin

Posts: 21211 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post