SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 ... 1214
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
What I am wondering now is how much longer before some states/governors/mayors try to stretch the limitations of their powers by restricting or suspending the sale of things like firearms, ammo, alcohol, etc.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
A visual look at the history of pandemics. This is mostly graphics that would take up too much space here, so I am only going to provide the link, but I think it is worth reviewing for some perspective, which seems to be much needed right now, even on Sig Forum:

https://www.visualcapitalist.c...8A7dr6X7XlJBDLBkaiSE

Posts: 8889 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
What I am wondering now is how much longer before some states/governors/mayors try to stretch the limitations of their powers by restricting or suspending the sale of things like firearms, ammo, alcohol, etc.

Already done/being done in Illinois. Noted several posts, or maybe pages, back.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Stop and ask yourself this. When have you ever heard anyone say, “You know, I have this horrible disease. I think I’m going to Italy to get it treated”.

Undoubtedly, you’ll have some in this thread come to explain away their poor health care.

Because it's a furrin country it must have inferior health care, is that it? Srsly? Wow

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Right on cue.

Can't defend, or explain Italy's poor heathcare system because it doesn't fit your narrative, so claim xenophobia. Damn, where I have seen that tactic used before???????

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37179 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
What do the vulnerable people actually die of? What actually happens? What fails?

It's essentially pneumonia, you drown.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21108 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, 30 million people in the US are gonna get this bug. Sure.

Look, just cut it out. You don't know any better than the rest of us about what's going to happen. All this fucking drama with these "impressive" number. Just stop it. You don't know what you're talking about.

I know one thing about life, and that's that the worst happens rarely.

Aside from the damage caused by imbecilic and completely unnecessary fucking with the US, nothing is going to happen. You will not die from this disease. No one you know will die from this disease.

A certain type of person in our society will spread lies that they had a family member die of this, or a co-worker, or the family member of an acquaintance, or some of distanced relationship. They won't do this out of malice. This is done merely to impress others. You know people like this, probably have one or two in your own family, and they are a part of the problem.

People are panicked because other people, who are supposed to behave as responsible adults have chosen to start shouting a doomsday scenario. People don't know what to think. They're being fed more speculation than anything else, so every person and every business decision maker out there has to err on the side of caution. Hey, wouldn't want to get sued or be rsponsible for the death of someone else, so, just shut it all down. And the panic buying- ridiculous, but what happens when the average guy needs this or that? Well, he's gotta go join the mob to make sure he's not affected by this false shortage, so he jumps in there, too.

Again, aside from fucking up the best economy any living American shall ever see, this is going to be a big bunch of nothing.

And, as was mentioned earlier in this thread, if a Democrat were in the White House right now, we wouldn't be dealing with anything more than what would have been characterized as a "bad flu season" just as what happened to the epidemic back in 2009 that killed thousands of Americans.

Same thing the Dems did with the Benghazi US Embassy attack in 2012- just act like it's not happening or if you can't do that, act like it's no big deal. But, Donald Trump is in office and he is helping the US tgo do well and we just can't have that, and look at all the co-conspirators the Dems have in their grand "epidemic". Just look at all of 'em.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109058 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can't defend, or explain Italy's poor heathcare system because ...

Because Italy doesn't have a poor health care system. In fact Italy has one of the more highly-rated health care systems in the world.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

quote:
Stop and ask yourself this. When have you ever heard anyone say, “You know, I have this horrible disease. I think I’m going to Italy to get it treated”.

Undoubtedly, you’ll have some in this thread come to explain away their poor health care.

Because it's a furrin country it must have inferior health care, is that it? Srsly? Wow

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Right on cue.

Can't defend, or explain Italy's poor heathcare system because it doesn't fit your narrative, so claim xenophobia. Damn, where I have seen that tactic used before???????
Wow, that wasnt even hard to expose...

He's using the LEFTIST101 playbook!!!

Next will it be “For Da Chirrins”, then YOU ARE STUPID!!!!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Rhino, the next post of yours in this thread should be used to make a good point about this mess. Stop getting into the middle of spats, trying to make them worse.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109058 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
some of you guys need to take a break. Wouldn't it be nice if this thread could make it to page 2 on occasion.

I guess we need a "Bang'in the alarm drum" icon.

And yes I know it is nothing to sneeze at and is serious.

But "Bang'in the drum" continually ain't gonna help.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19711 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
some of you guys need to take a break. Wouldn't it be nice if this thread could make it to page 2 on occasion.

Not likely to happen, this shit is messing with a lot of peoples lives/livelihoods. People are watching their 401k get destroyed, trying to find last minute babysitters, canceling trips, taking time off work, getting hours reduced, getting laid off, worrying about loved ones, etc. If they found a cure tomorrow this still would have lasting impacts. We are stuck with it for a while.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21108 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Look, just cut it out. You don't know any better than the rest of us about what's going to happen...

Thank you, sir, this is much needed.

The hand-wringing on this forum is an unpleasant surprise.

Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
What do the vulnerable people actually die of? What actually happens? What fails?

Short answer: viruses (really just pieces of RNA or DNA, that somehow become "parasites"), "operate" by attaching themselves to cell walls, invading the cell and using the cell's "stuff" to make other viruses. The viruses grow inside the cells, eventually rupture the cell wall (usually) and release thousand of copies of themselves which infect other cells. In this particular virus (a respiratory virus) it gets into the airway, down to the lungs, and destroys the lungs' capability to transfer oxygen. That's why elderly people with COPD or other respiratory problems are more at risk. Since the body doesn't get enough oxygen, other organs start to fail, eventually killing the patient. That's also why you hear and read about the problems with not enough respirators in hospitals - since we don't (yet) have universally available medicines to kill the virus, the main treatment is to support respiration.

The other mechanism (unintended by the virus) that kills patients is the patient's own immune system. The body may recognize an infected cell as "foreign," and the body's own immune system kills the body's own cells (this is why H1N1 in 1918 killed so many younger patients - their immune systems are more robust and over-activated). This virus seems to be mainly the first type (although both mechanisms can happen at the same time) - younger patients are less impacted, but still not immune.

Cliffs version: https://www2.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/viruswars/viruses.php

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
OK. There is nothing unexpected about this pandemic, so far, with the exception of the mass hysteria generated, largely, by the ability to instantly communicate peer-to-peer. Lesson learned for the future. Baseline and predicted: millions will become infected, and undoubtedly already are. Infected is not dead. Thousands will die, and have. Perhaps tens of thousands, and that is tragic. They wouldn't (most) have died except for this organism. But from the current vector, not millions. Almost six thousand documented, so far, planet-wide. Three thousand in the highly crowded, population-dense, organizationally and medically unprepared epicenter, after what is likely more than 6 months. And that appears to be leveling off or even trending down. It has been a shock for some to discover that trendy countries like Spain and Italy have what are essentially third-world healthcare systems, based on fatality rates. It has not been a shock for some. And no, we are not early, globally. We are about halfway in. Rates of infection will progress, and, apparently feed the panic - although we already know the approximate rate of spread. By the end of the year, it's likely that at least half of the world's population will have been exposed - very probably more.

We will shortly have expanded testing, most likely eventually POS with instant readouts. It is apparent now that this will produce another spike of hysteria, because the case count will rise exponentially. Actually, it won't - it has always been there - but the detected and verified case count will rise. This will diminish as most realize that case count does not equal lethality.

I can't tell anyone not to panic - the constant, visible drumbeat of empty shelves, trashed 401Ks, failed supply lines and continually reported rising fatalities (and they will) promotes that. We will be recovering months if not years from the impact on the world economy, and perhaps a worldwide recession. And any of the above can turn on a dime if the unstable RNA of a new virus, freshly introduced into a now vulnerable human population, mutates a couple of nucleotides into a truly lethal world-killing organism. But that threat is with us daily, and has been, just unnoticed. I can tell you that based on historical data, current real data, and biological probabilities, this pandemic will almost certainly fade back into the animal reservoir by the end of the year, perhaps sooner. I could be wrong (I've been wrong before Smile) . But, absent the odd mutation (always possible), I believe, sincerely hope and pray, that I am not.

For your predictions of deaths and infections to match up, the current estimates of number of cases would have to be low by a factor of hundreds, if not thousands.

That's certainly possible, and all the experts agree there are many more cases than we are actually testing, but I haven't seen any epidemiologist or ID expert opine there are that many.

Also, it is believed that the disease has already undergone one significant mutation, that there are now two strains, and that it is possible to be infected with both (i.e., being infected with one strain does not confer complete immunity to the other).

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sc...ease-say-scientists/

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
2004 SARS
2008 Avian Flu
2010 Swine Flu
2012 Mers
2014 Ebola
2016 Zika
2018 Ebola part deux
2020 Corona

Survived all, why because most of us here have common sense.

1. Wash your hands, amazing we have to stress that to anyone over 12

2. Just to reiterate wash your hands.

3. If your sick stay home, what a concept.

For most here this is normal, for the woke crowd and lefties this is any of the following

Racist
Sexiest
Homophobic
Xenophobic
Anti Islamic
Orange Man Bad
Transphobic
Nationalist

This too will pass.

Posts: 2839 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:

Not likely to happen, this shit is messing with a lot of peoples lives/livelihoods. People are watching their 401k get destroyed, trying to find last minute babysitters, canceling trips, taking time off work, getting hours reduced, getting laid off, worrying about loved ones, etc. If they found a cure tomorrow this still would have lasting impacts. We are stuck with it for a while.

Then people shouldn’t live beyond their means. If fewer people lived paycheck to paycheck this panic wouldn’t be as bad as it is. No one knows what a savings account is these days, I guess.

I agree with what Para said, these places shutting down are trying to avoid possible lawsuits.

As far as panic food and supply buying, FEMA has stated for years everyone should have a MINIMUM 2 weeks worth of food and water for EVERYONE in the household. We have tornadoes here. I always have A LOT more than that in stock. Do I live in fear that a tornado will wipe my house out and food and water won’t be available for weeks? No. Do I live in fear I’m going to die of Wuhan flu? No.

The bark is a lot worse than the bite.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4012 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:

Because Italy doesn't have a poor health care system. In fact Italy has one of the more highly-rated health care systems in the world.

So is Canada's, but that is all relative to the entire world, including 3rd world nations. Like Canada, Italy's healthcare is socialized.

I don't know much about Italy's healthcare beyond the above, but I know I wouldn't want to be in Canada during an outbreak like this, and would much prefer to be in the US.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:

Then people shouldn’t live beyond their means. If fewer people lived paycheck to paycheck this panic wouldn’t be as bad as it is. No one knows what a savings account is these day, I guess.

I agree with what Para said, these places shutting down are trying to avoid possible lawsuits.

As far as panic food and supply buying, FEMA has stated for years everyone should have a MINIMUM 2 weeks worth of food and water for EVERYONE in the household. We have tornadoes here. I always have A LOT more than that in stock. Do I live in fear that a tornado will wipe my house out and food and water won’t be available for weeks? No. Do I live in fear I’m going to die of Wuhan flu? No.

The bark is a lot worse than the bite.

The above is the minimum all people should be doing. Fact is not a lot do. I can weather the storm no problem. It will hurt my savings account and limit future fun. That last part is what is bad, I will and other people when have emergency reserves will rebuild those before buying TVs. People in retail and food services may be homeless.

People dying is sad, and it happens, I'd like to save the economy if possible and tell as many people as possible to have emergency food and cash reserves.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Oh yeah, 30 million people in the US are gonna get this bug. Sure.

Look, just cut it out. You don't know any better than the rest of us about what's going to happen. All this fucking drama with these "impressive" number. Just stop it. You don't know what you're talking about.

I didn't say it would happen. I said it could, and explained why. An average of 30 million people in the US get the flu every year.

I am not panicked or hysterical, and regardless of the situation, I don't think hysteria serves any purpose and will always make things worse. I have been careful to talk about possibilities, not certainties (of which there aren't any). I have been careful to provide links to reputable sources for important points in my arguments. My position is that it's important that we take a critical look at what is happening and think about what it means, rather than just assuming that we know how it will turn out.

With all that said, I respect you, I enjoy being a member of this forum, and I know that it's your show. If you want me to stop posting in this thread, I will. Is that what you're asking, or just that I stop posting about projected outcomes?

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:
China Pushes Propaganda that U.S. Created the Coronavirus

And we're supposed to be concerned about offending them. Fuck 'em.
This is Wuhan Virus.
This is Chinese Virus.
This is Chinese Origin Virus Is Death.

I've posted articles about calling it the Wuhan Virus.
Calling it the Wuhan virus is accurate and scientifically appropriate, but certainly not racist. Nothing racist or 'xenophobic' about it.
https://www.americanthinker.co...t.html#ixzz6GVB63xZy
But, for shorthand I like the term WuFlu.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24585 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post