SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 ... 1214
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
BTW, while looking through my history for the old post above I found it's interesting to see how your take has evolved over this thread.

18 February:

quote:
We can't really extrapolate to that level. On one hand, most of the world's population doesn't have access to Western standards of healthcare like in France, Japan and Taiwan (not sure about the Philippines), so you could expect higher mortality than in the non-Chinese cases so far. On the other hand, since most infected appear to develop only symptoms of a mild cold, at best the flu (in flu season) and some seem never to fall ill at all, there's probably an unknown but potentially huge number who don't even suspect they are infected or see a doctor at all, were never tested and don't show up in any statistic. Just saw that from the number of mutations discovered so far, it is suspected that the total might be 200,000. So the ratio of total cases to deaths may be much higher, i. e. mortality much lower than even the currently calculated 0.5 percent outside China.

For comparison take measles, about the most contagious disease there is - on average any case infects twelve others, while Covid-19 is currently estimated at 1.8 to 3.5. About two-and-a-half million died worldwide of them every year until 1980 or so, when vaccinations available since the 60s began to make an impact in the developing world. Even today, mortality is 0.2 percent. We are quite sure of that because it's hard to mistake a case of the measles for something else.

I'm not saying Covid-19 should be disregarded, and I wouldn't like it to hit my family; both my parent's are in their 70s, my father is a stroke patient with a strained immune system from frequent infections due to impaired bodily functions, and my mother narrowly survived a recent acute lung edema which left her with a reduced capacity. But they are just as much at risk from getting a bad case of the flu; and in the great scheme of things, I'm more worried about the recent trend of a resurgence in measle cases due to a lapse in immunizations.

26 February:

quote:
And there we have it. 47-year-old man with pre-existing condition in North Rhine-Westphalia in critical condition and on ventilation with symptoms of severe pneumonia tested positive along with his wife. Unlike in the separate case of a 25-year-old tourist just returned from Italy, no likely source of infection has been established so far. I'm reminded to stock up on a supply of my regular meds.

1 March:

quote:
I'm coming back to the South Koreans, who are testing like crazy. And the more they test, and the more cases they find, the lower the fatality rate gets. On 25 February they had about 10:1,000 = 1.0 percent. On the 27th, they had 13:1,766 = 0.74. Yesterday it was 17:3,150 = 0.54. Today it's 17:3,526 = 0.48.

Of course some among the newer cases might eventually die, too; but I suspect when it's all sorted, there will be no more than the 0.4 percent fatalities of all known cases reported some time ago already for China outside Wubei province. And there are probably some, but I still have to see confirmed reports of significant numbers of healthy middle-aged people dying of this.

8 March:

quote:
Well, what a difference a week makes. Made pancakes for lunch yesterday, saw that I was running low on flour and thought I should get some new if possible. Sure enough, the shelves for pasta, rice and flour looked like the DDR had made a comeback; in fact there was a note they were currently only selling up to four packs per customer of certain stuff like flour and sugar "due to circumstances". Saw a guy with five sixpacks of water bottles in his cart and thought WTF, are you preparing for the zombie apocalypse? Masks and disinfectants get stolen from hospitals, too - sometimes from stocks only accessible to staff.

I mean I, too, have doubled my usual stocks of daily consumables, which among other things means I'm buying another pack of anything as soon as the last bottle of the first of two is going into the fridge. But even that is already luxury stockpiling just so I don't have to change my habits without bothering anyone else to supply me if I should get quarantined at home for two weeks - it's not like the water will stop running from the tap, and unlike the chlorinated stuff you sometimes have in the US, it's actually readily drinkable without feeling like you swallowed a swimming pool. I think people are falling for global pop culture memes.

In reality we're still doing okay, with zero deaths despite 900-plus cases. One is being reported as critical, a guy who was on immunosuppressiva to prepare for an organ transplant. I think this is still the 47-year-old at the root of the North Rhine-Westphalia cluster who had several hospital appointments prior to being diagnosed and was quickly put on life support. Meanwhile the current flu season in Germany (which officially started in the second week of 2020, quite concurrently with COVID-19) has had an estimated 2.6 million cases seeing a doctor, of which ca. 120,000 confirmed by lab tests, and more than 200 deaths.

Not to speak of the national 2017/18 season, the worst for 30 years, which saw about nine million cases and 25,000 deaths (CFR ca. 0.28 percent). That actually strained the German healthcare system pretty hard (not least because a lot of staff also fell sick), and we definitely don't need another similar sickness on top of that. Saw an expert warn we should increase the number of intensive care beds to prepare for a comeback of COVID-19 in fall after a decline in summer. What everybody wants to avoid is a concentrated spike overwhelming the system, so the countermeasures actually make sense despite the economic damage - a customer (caterer) told me last week that cancellation of the International Tourism Fair (since done) would be a real hit to the Berlin service sector.

9 March:

quote:
This bears repeating. Society will not collapse, there will be no bodies in the street, there will still be water and electricity, and there is no need to break into the national strategic toilet paper reserve. But read this Twitter thread about conditions in Italian hospitals because the spread wasn't stomped on early and hard:

https://twitter.com/silviast9/.../1236933818654896129

12 March:

quote:
I'm not worried for myself; as I keep saying, chances are I won't even notice if I get the bug since I have a chronically runny nose anyway, and my neck tends towards slight spinal stenosis, with effects that can feel like a bit of the flu sometimes, just without the fever. But I see also somewhat of a problem therein. As noted earlier, both my parents are at high risk, not just from being mid-70s; my mother narrowly survived a lung edema in December, and my father is a stroke patient with an appointment in two weeks to remove a kidney stone which is the likely culprit for repeated recent bouts of urosepsis.

Their area is so far clean, and I'm seriously considering not to travel home for Easter next month as usual, lest I unwittingly bring something with me from metropolitan Berlin. Would suck for them and me, but them catching the bug might suck a lot more.

14 March:

quote:
Well, we essentially cancelled Easter for the family. Berlin will probably close down all public venues and reduce public transport on Tuesday to at least 20 April to mitigate local spread. We're running emergency operations at the office from Monday, with only one person per room coming in, the rest working from home or field sales only, as far as there will still be appointments. I'm standing in for our office manager who has a public one-and-a-half-hour commute and will leave next month anyway, while I'm cycling to work. We had planned for her to work me in over a six-week period, but now two and remote support will have to do.

Posts: 2452 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I went to one of our local supermarkets yesterday to pick up a few things. The produce section was fully stocked as was the meat department. I even picked up some T-Bones for $3.99 a pound. Everything looked normal except for the TP section and they had no hand sanitizers.

No local schools are closed and I have heard of no restaurants closing. Gas was $1.94. Things are not that far from normal around here.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5134 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
i went to both Costco and Wegman's in Sterling, Virginia yesterday.

Costco was its usual zoo of Central Americans and people for the Middle East and the Indian subcontinent. Nonetheless they had big packs of toilet tissue (1 per customer) and bottled water (2 flats per customer). I went for brat and burger rolls for a swap meet I attended (the host cooks brats, burgers, and ribs). Aside from the slightly-longer than usual long lines of carts filled to overflowing (typical) I was in and out in 15 minutes (also typical). Gas was accessible (I didn't need any) with no lines other than the normal six cars in front of you. Gas was $2.099 per gallon.

Wegman's was another story. Parts of the store (e.g., bulk rice, dog food, toilet tissue) looked like Whoville after the Grinich. I was pleasantly surprised to find the staples I needed, with no limits. I will say this, they had people everywhere stocking empty shelves. That's smart move as it conveys the message that all is in order, no need to panic.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32012 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
I went to one of our local supermarkets yesterday to pick up a few things. The produce section was fully stocked as was the meat department. I even picked up some T-Bones for $3.99 a pound. Everything looked normal except for the TP section and they had no hand sanitizers.

No local schools are closed and I have heard of no restaurants closing. Gas was $1.94. Things are not that far from normal around here.

I've been out and about around the Lake and seems pretty much like business as usual to me also.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I think we're nearly ready. Our drive through testing center should be up tomorrow. All of the controls at the acute care facilities (hospitals) are in place. We're very anxious of course. But we're ready care for COVID patients when they arrive.

Praying for a miracle. Praying this fizzels out in our area. No evidence or reason to believe that it will.

Posts: 11432 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
We are the United States of America, we are immune to viruses for some reason.

Plus, the only reason we’re having any problems with the disease here is because of the hysteria generated by the BS news media and the Democrats. I’m not sure why foreigners are getting sick and instituting draconian quarantine and other measures, except, perhaps, because they’re foreigners. Yeah, they’re also dying at a faster rate than we are at the moment, but that’s because of their lousy healthcare systems.

Why anyone at all is dying in foreign countries is a little bit of a puzzler, though, because we all know that the disease isn’t really that bad—just a little cough and sniffles, not to mention that more people die from the flu and traffic accidents—so being foreigners must be the reason why the disease turns bad for them in the first place.

Roll Eyes

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47687 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Get familiar with the Gompertz curve. Good news is that outbreaks don’t stay exponential. They do level out.

The Gompertz Curve is defined as

y(t) = α * exp(-β * exp(-k^t))

where

t = time
alpha = upper asymptote
beta = growth displacement
k = growth rate

https://wattsupwiththat.com/20...e-math-of-epidemics/

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Things are getting pretty crazy here in south eastern Pennsylvania. Montgomery county seems to be the hot zone for this virus here, and I believe the governor is about a day or two from locking the entire Philadelphia Suburban region down, they are already shutting down everything around here except grocery stores, gas stations, and pharmacies. I really feel bad for my brother-in-law who opened two restaurants in the past two years in Phoenixville, PA and he was just told to close except for takeout and expects to be told to shut down completely soon, this will be financially devastating and I’m not sure if he can recover from this if it goes on for weeks and weeks. My poor pregnant wife is freaking out now, and is at the supermarket right now getting more food, we are trying to have enough for three weeks or longer without having to go anywhere.

No military/NG presence anywhere yet, but I think it is coming. This is getting surreal, I feel like we are living in the movie Deep Impact where everyone is preparing for a comet strike.

Posts: 34546 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was a the0ry floated that illegals would self deport if there were no jobs. I don't believe it, but we will see if illegal immigration reverses direction

Posts: 1466 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
We are the United States of America, we are immune to viruses for some reason.

Plus, the only reason we’re having any problems with the disease here is because of the hysteria generated by the BS news media and the Democrats. I’m not sure why foreigners are getting sick and instituting draconian quarantine and other measures, except, perhaps, because they’re foreigners. Yeah, they’re also dying at a faster rate than we are at the moment, but that’s because of their lousy healthcare systems.

Why anyone at all is dying in foreign countries is a little bit of a puzzler, though, because we all know that the disease isn’t really that bad—just a little cough and sniffles, not to mention that more people die from the flu and traffic accidents—so being foreigners must be the reason why the disease turns bad for them in the first place.

Roll Eyes

MSM and the Democrats, yep. Nothing to see here, move along. If you take precautions, you're a crazy prepper.

Is it not possible that thousands infected, people dying, economy getting destroyed is both a real thing as well as something being weaponized by the left?

Funny the reactions on here. Especially for all the people on here that carry a gun every day, just in case they need it, the chances of them dying from this virus is probably higher than ever being attacked by a bad guy.

Why people can't be bothered to pick up some extra supplies; a extra thing of TP; check their first aid kits; and stay away from large gatherings amazes me. I thought there was a number of ex Boy Scouts on this page.

Be Prepared.

I'd like to see the pantries and ammo shelves of the people who say 'this is just like the flu', and see if they are putting their money where their mouths are.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21108 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
No military/NG presence anywhere yet, but I think it is coming. This is getting surreal, I feel like we are living in the movie Deep Impact where everyone is preparing for a comet strike.
Girlfriend's brother is PA NG. He's in Montco. He got a text last night asking about his availability, he responded that he's available then he got another text saying he's in the hot zone and to stay home.

We are in lower Bucks. We went out to dinner last night and stopped by the liquor store to get some Bailey's to put on ice cream, the place was so mobbed that we didn't even pull into a parking spot.

Posts: 10192 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Mine looks exactly like it does 12 months a year.

When this turns out to be the huge nothing burger in the US that it is, I guess we get to listen how the hystericals hand wringing saves us all.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37179 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'd like to see the pantries and ammo shelves of the people who say 'this is just like the flu', and see if they are putting their money where their mouths are.

My pantry and ammo shelves were stocked long ago. This is less than the annual flu. But, “we” try to predict the next annual flu, develop a shot for it, and suggest those susceptible to flu get the shot.

Wuhan virus is unknown, so no shot. And new and unusual, and scary. Particularly to the masses of people that just looked up from Snapchat and Tictoc and said “WTF? I gotta get TP.”

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I'm sitting in the Tampa Airport, waiting for my flight to take me home to Virginia. The crowds are lighter than usual (in my experience), but it's not a ghost town, either.

When I return home, I need to go get fresh food, as I left the fridge bare of perishables. I'm okay with inedibles (toilet paper, soap, etc.), but I will need food. I subscribe to Hello Fresh, so I'm getting up to six meals home delivered, so I'm pretty well set.

I keep waiting for the news media to find a new crisis to focus on so we can move on from this hysteria.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I have no extra anything. If I really need food, I can drop a deer out back. I don’t get why folks are preparing for anything.

There is no interruption to supply. Do you really think the government is going to shut down water treatment plants? That’s stupid. No one needs to be buying bottled water. I mean, do what you want, but your faucet will keep working.

I did stock up on outdoor stuff though. We went yesterday and got roller blades and a basketball hoop for the kids. With a 3 week spring break my wife wants them outside! The streets were business as usual around here. Stores have everything except TP.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, they’re also dying at a faster rate than we are at the moment, but that’s because of their lousy healthcare systems

Huh... Our horrible evil healthcare system that must be changed.... Is better?

Whaddayaknow....

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38205 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by esdunbar:
If I really need food, I can drop a deer out back{/QUOTE]

If you're sick you can't do jack shit

Posts: 7671 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
quote:
Yeah, they’re also dying at a faster rate than we are at the moment, but that’s because of their lousy healthcare systems

Huh... Our horrible evil healthcare system that must be changed.... Is better?

Whaddayaknow....

Stop and ask yourself this. When have you ever heard anyone say, “You know, I have this horrible disease. I think I’m going to Italy to get it treated”.

Undoubtedly, you’ll have some in this thread come to explain away their poor health care.

Italy has become the battle cry of the hystericals. They just can’t seem
To wrap their heads around the US isn’t Italy.

Italy is the crown jewel of their argument of why you should be terrified. The only lesson learned here is don’t go to Italy if you need medical care......

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37179 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by esdunbar:
If I really need food, I can drop a deer out back/QUOTE]

If you're sick you can't do jack shit

Posts: 7671 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
quote:

My pantry and ammo shelves were stocked long ago. This is less than the annual flu. But, “we” try to predict the next annual flu, develop a shot for it, and suggest those susceptible to flu get the shot.

Wuhan virus is unknown, so no shot. And new and unusual, and scary. Particularly to the masses of people that just looked up from Snapchat and Tictoc and said “WTF? I gotta get TP.”

Less than annual flu? In shear numbers maybe, but not in chances of dying for it. There is no TamiCOVID-19 yet, no inoculation. With a CFR of 2-7% so far, this is nothing like the flu.

Look at Italy for instance. Of their resolved cases, 42% resulted in death (down from yesterday, and will continue to drop). That's pretty scary to me. 1/20 chance of needing intensive care, 1/7 of needing hospital care outside of the ICU.

https://www.worldometers.info/...virus/country/italy/

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21108 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post