SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ... 1214
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Is this the article?
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2002387

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
I just heard that Dr. Anthony Fauci just published an article in the New England Journal of Medicine in which he states the mortality rate is less than 1%
I tried to find it but was unable to locate it.

It was published about a week ago, I posted it in this thread then.

In which he writes:
quote:

If one assumes that the number of asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic cases is several times as high as the number of reported cases, the case fatality rate may be considerably less than 1%.

Note emphasis added.

He may be right. Odds are probably good his assumption is a valid one. As has been repeated here many times: At this time we simply do not know.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PeteF:
As of now these numbers are hideously skewed.
Why? Rate = deaths / KNOWN CASES. Which in the US is someone that was so sick they felt the need to go to the doctor.

Actually, in the US until just a few days ago, you had to be in the hospital with pneumonia (and then only in certain states/areas) to get tested. That's why only a few hundred people had been tested.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
I just heard that Dr. Anthony Fauci just published an article in the New England Journal of Medicine in which he states the mortality rate is less than 1%
I tried to find it but was unable to locate it.

It was published about a week ago, I posted it in this thread then.

Thank you.

Here’s the take away paragraph from that article..

On the basis of a case definition requiring a diagnosis of pneumonia, the currently reported case fatality rate is approximately 2%.4 In another article in the Journal, Guan et al.5 report mortality of 1.4% among 1099 patients with laboratory-confirmed Covid-19; these patients had a wide spectrum of disease severity. If one assumes that the number of asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic cases is several times as high as the number of reported cases, the case fatality rate may be considerably less than 1%. This suggests that the overall clinical consequences of Covid-19 may ultimately be more akin to those of a severe seasonal influenza (which has a case fatality rate of approximately 0.1%) or a pandemic influenza (similar to those in 1957 and 1968) rather than a disease similar to SARS or MERS, which have had case fatality rates of 9 to 10% and 36%, respectively.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6471 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I heard on the radio on my way to work this morning that the WHO was going to lower their mortality rate number. They didn't say to what, though.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16635 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
I heard on the radio on my way to work this morning that the WHO was going to lower their mortality rate number. They didn't say to what, though.

I’d much rather trust the CDC and NIH than the WHO..

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6471 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Yeah, and now Kentucky with ONE CONFIRMED CASE in Lexington has a STATE OF EMERGENCY declared by our newly-minted Democrat Governor.

Everyone run around in panic. Never let a good crisis go to waste. Confused

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2799 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
Panic has set in on the firearms distribution side. I personally sold 70k rounds of mixed ammo and dozens of Sport IIs today. Always the first things to go. I'm not a chicken little type, but if you have ammo needs, might want to pick it up now.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pence advises seniors to stay off cruises.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by midwest guy:
Pence advises seniors to stay off cruises.

Stay home and reload ammo. Smile

Posts: 23196 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
Yeah, and now Kentucky with ONE CONFIRMED CASE in Lexington

OH shit. I spent the day at the Horse Park today. I guess we're all going to die! OK, sometime.

To continue the panic started earlier...We just don't know, which means it open season on rumor or making wild and unfounded assumptions. What we've really just read is the deep state is intentionally keeping the reported death rate as high as they can, making it sound terrible. Maybe its not if they don't test everyone in sight. If you don't include anyone who is not near death, that would be the expected outcome. Don't believe everything you hear, or almost nothing reported by the media after they have a chance to twist it.

The numbers we're seeing in Asia is a population that I assume doesn't trust health care "professionals" now that they imprison everyone who looks sick. Who knows if they all have seasonal flu vaccines. I would tend to doubt it so we'll not know how the new virus responds in individuals who practice good hygiene or even have access to it.

Knowledge is our friend, unless we're being fed garbage or nothing at all. So lets just hope the spring thaw sets in before the real epidemic sets in. Or doesn't because it behaves differently than what we're used to seeing.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18394 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pence advises seniors to stay off cruises

^^^^^^^^
That is good advice at any time.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
Yeah, and now Kentucky with ONE CONFIRMED CASE in Lexington

OH shit. I spent the day at the Horse Park today. I guess we're all going to die! OK, sometime.

To continue the panic started earlier...We just don't know, which means it open season on rumor or making wild and unfounded assumptions. What we've really just read is the deep state is intentionally keeping the reported death rate as high as they can, making it sound terrible. Maybe its not if they don't test everyone in sight. If you don't include anyone who is not near death, that would be the expected outcome. Don't believe everything you hear, or almost nothing reported by the media after they have a chance to twist it.

The numbers we're seeing in Asia is a population that I assume doesn't trust health care "professionals" now that they imprison everyone who looks sick. Who knows if they all have seasonal flu vaccines. I would tend to doubt it so we'll not know how the new virus responds in individuals who practice good hygiene or even have access to it.

Knowledge is our friend, unless we're being fed garbage or nothing at all. So lets just hope the spring thaw sets in before the real epidemic sets in. Or doesn't because it behaves differently than what we're used to seeing.

Can I have your new Canon IS binoculars?

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Connecticut has its first confirmed case. I just got an email about it from my employer.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16635 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another 'Nightmare At Sea': 21 Cruise Ship Passengers & Crew Off San Francisco Test Positive

https://www.zerohedge.com/geop...board-grand-princess

21 tests out of 46 have tested POSITIVE for the coronavirus... for people on board the Grand Princess which is 50 miles off the coast of Northern California

Posts: 13076 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Connecticut has its first confirmed case. I just got an email about it from my employer.

Man what I would give to live in 'flyover' country right now...

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21108 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:

Man what I would give to live in 'flyover' country right now...

Too late. MN has it's first confirmed case today in Ramsey county (MPLS). Elderly female cruise passenger got sick in February, just went to the doctor's office today. Who knows how many she infected.

link

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do not believe MN is flyover country, although it does have many Lutherans eating jello and discussing road conditions in their living rooms.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I do not believe MN is flyover country, although it does have many Lutherans eating jello and discussing road conditions in their living rooms.
The Jello, I get that part, but, frankly, having a roadway pass through your living room seems a rather odd (and unsafe) custom.

Posts: 109054 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
I can’t even begin to imagine what all the people who run all the hotels and restaurants and other facilities there are going through right now, probably just reeling in shock and realizing they may be screwed in the short term at the very least

^^^^^^^^^^^^
It is just a bump in the road. It is not like Disney or the city of Orlando is going into bankruptcy. Things always bounce back. It would be nice if the media would be quarantined as they have spread panic and made things much worse.

Of course major companies will be fine in the long run. They will survive by laying people off and cutting hours. This is a bad industry to be in right now.

Europe is being hit a lot harder right now. A lot of production companies are small family run businesses and there are already talks of some that will likely be ruined.

I’ll admit I’m a little nervous. I’ve had two shows cancel already and the company can only pay me to do nothing for so long. I think my next show will go through, if not I’ve probably got another job I can jump on. Our busy season is coming up fast though. If shows keep cancelling we might be in real trouble. And my bank account isn’t quite as big as Disney’s is.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15276 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post