SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Netanyahu: We are at war. Israel attacked by Hamas.
Page 1 ... 179 180 181 182 183 184 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Netanyahu: We are at war. Israel attacked by Hamas. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
US troops to reportedly operate THAAD anti-ballistic missile system in Israel

https://www.timesofisrael.com/...le-system-in-israel/

The US will deploy the THAAD anti-ballistic missile system in Israel, according to reports by Channel 12 news and Army Radio that describe the move as part of preparations for the expected Israeli response to Iran’s recent missile attack.

Channel 12 news says the advanced missile defense system will be operated by American troops on Israeli soil.

Posts: 13167 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
If Iran had launched 200 ballistic missiles at Saudi Arabia America would already be at war. Israel is a by far more reliable friend and ally and we sit on our hands and urge restraint.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I’m interested in seeing how this system performs in combat with multiple threats- as far as I know, it has seen only one firing on a lone ballistic threat in the United Arab Emirates in 2022.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15863 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Not to pick a fight here with Lefty Sig but Iran didn’t launch the missiles. Its proxy did. So in Iran’s mind, its hands are clean. Which is why Israel isn’t going after Iran directly at this point. But I’m sure they will at some point.

That is what Iran will see as an act of war - state against state. It as long as Israel targets Hezbollah and its other proxies Iran can’t claim it’s an act of war.

I’m also not sure Iran wants a war. They’re fractured politically and would come out the loser pretty quickly ending their desire to be a nuclear superpower

Posts: 53887 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
^^^ this is Iran's second direct attack on Isreal recently. They shot most, if not all from within their borders. It is most certainly an act of war and Israel is more than justified to respond in kind.

They don't want war, it's a face saving measure. They've now launched two ineffectual attacks and are praying that retribution never comes. While spreading lies on local media about their fierce attack against Israel.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21179 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not to pick a fight here with Lefty Sig but Iran didn’t launch the missiles.

Greg, there were hundreds of rockets/missiles launched over a long period of time from Lebanon by Hezbollah; but Iran did launch a barrage of a couple hundred ballistic missiles, which resulted in the death of one Gazan on the West Bank (a missile body fell on him--clunk!) and about five Iranians who were shooting off the missiles; that's my recollection.

So there have been two ballistic missile attacks directly from Iran onto Israel; one in April, and the most recent one. The most recent was supposed to "avenge" the killing of an IRGC officer killed in an Israeli attack on, I think, Hezbollah.

Posts: 18437 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
Not to pick a fight here with Lefty Sig but Iran didn’t launch the missiles. Its proxy did. So in Iran’s mind, its hands are clean. Which is why Israel isn’t going after Iran directly at this point. But I’m sure they will at some point.

That is what Iran will see as an act of war - state against state. It as long as Israel targets Hezbollah and its other proxies Iran can’t claim it’s an act of war.

I’m also not sure Iran wants a war. They’re fractured politically and would come out the loser pretty quickly ending their desire to be a nuclear superpower

The Islamofascist Iranians launched the 181 ballistic missile attack on 01 Oct 2024, with reports that:

“A senior Iranian official told Reuters news agency the country's Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, had personally given the order for Tuesday's missile attack.”

Source: BBC

Israel is fully justified in removing Iran from the map.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32120 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Yup. Iran has launched 5-600 ballistic missiles directly from Iran into Israel this year, plus several hundred drones (not counting any of the proxy stuff from Hezbollah, Hamas, or the Houthis). So if we're talking a "proportional" response, IMO, then Israel should be justified in sending between 600-1000 pieces of ordinance right back at them. Can't help it that Israel's stuff is going to be a lot more accurate....

Posts: 9301 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I’m fairly certain from watching the videos that Iran intentionally fired their missiles into unpopulated areas. They were fairly tightly grouped when they came down.

I saw it as the saber rattling it was to show their own people they were “serious” but hopeful that Israel got the message that they were trying to miss to avoid a reprisal that would decimate the Iranian military/nuclear infrastructure. I’m still not sure Israel will let it slide. Revenge is best served cold after all.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15863 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Hezbollah poking the bear.

Over 60 injured in drone attack on northern Israel

More than 60 people have been injured in a drone strike targeting the Binyamina region of northern Israel, medics have said.

In a statement, volunteer emergency response organisation United Hatzalah said the conditions of the wounded ranged from critical to mild. It said all had been taken to five regional hospitals, either by ambulance or helicopter.

Hezbollah has claimed responsibility for the attack, which it said targeted a training camp of the Israeli Defence Forces' (IDF) Golani Brigade in the area, which is based between Tel Aviv and Haifa.

The armed group's media office said the strike was in response to Israeli attacks in southern Lebanon and Beirut on Thursday.

The group said it targeted the camp in northern Israel using a "swarm of drones".

Israeli censorship rules prevent media outlets saying exactly where or what was targeted, but some media outlets say the location was hit by a low-level drone launched from Lebanon - a relatively unsophisticated weapon that appears not to have activated early warning alarms.

Footage carried by Israeli media showed those wounded being helped into emergency vehicles, including helicopters. Israeli media reported that 67 people have been injured - with four in a critical condition and five others seriously wounded.

Many of the wounded have been evacuated to Hillel Yaffe Medical Centre in nearby Hadera - with others being taken to hospitals in Tel Hashomer, Haifa, Afula and Netanya.

Details are still scarce but many of the injured appear to have been in a communal canteen at the time and were caught completely by surprise. Images circulating on social media appear to show an empty mess hall with a hole in the roof.

Is there any leadership left to kill?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21179 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I withdraw my comment - was told it wasn’t Iran but rather ISIS-K

But Iran it is

Posts: 53887 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I withdraw my comment - was told it wasn’t Iran but rather ISIS-K

But Iran it is

Definitely not ISIS-K. They’ve got their hands full fighting off the Taliban and have nowhere near the resources to strike Israel with a missile/drone barrage. They’re based in Nangharhar province Afghanistan, which is the far eastern side bordering Pakistan; few states have the capability to shoot anything that distance.

Posts: 2456 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Netanyahu told Biden that Israel will strike Iranian military

Unnamed officials tell The Washington Post that Netanyahu has informed the Biden administration that he is prepared to carry out a military strike targeting Iranian military facilities, rather than its oil or nuclear infrastructure.

https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/397642

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has informed the Biden administration that he is prepared to carry out a military strike targeting Iranian military facilities, rather than its oil or nuclear infrastructure, two officials with knowledge of the discussions told The Washington Post on Monday. This approach suggests a more restrained counterstrike aimed at preventing a broader war.

According to The Washington Post, during their phone call this past Wednesday — their first conversation in over seven weeks — Netanyahu informed Biden that he plans to target Iranian military infrastructure, according to a US official and another source familiar with the matter.

Neither the Prime Minister’s Office nor the White House commented on the report.

The Israeli counterstrike is expected to be calibrated to avoid appearing as political interference in the US election, the official said.

More at link

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
According to The Washington Post

WTAF? Why are we reading this in the newspaper? Whose interest is served by that?

Posts: 18437 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
US threatens to halt military aid to Israel over Gaza humanitarian aid

https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/397685

The Biden Administration warned Israel that it has 30 days to allow more American humanitarian aid into the Gaza Strip or America will cut off military aid to Israel.

The threat was made in a letter written by US Secretary of State Antony Blinken and Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin and delivered to Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Gallant and Strategic Affairs Minister Ron Dermeron Monday.

The American officials stated that there has been a decline in the amount of humanitarian aid that has entered Gaza in recent months and that this raises "questions" about Israel's commitment not to place restrictions on the entry of aid into the enclave.

Former US Ambassador to Israel David Friedman said in response, "This is just repugnant. Israel is fighting a war on seven fronts against terrorist forces that show no respect for humanity, law or morality, and Biden/Harris/Blinken/Austin are threatening to hold off assistance to Israel unless Israel increases 'humanitarian aid' that invariably just extends the war and is hijacked by Hamas."

The threat was made in a letter written by US Secretary of State Antony Blinken and Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin and delivered to Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Gallant and Strategic Affairs Minister Ron Dermeron Monday.

The American officials stated that there has been a decline in the amount of humanitarian aid that has entered Gaza in recent months and that this raises "questions" about Israel's commitment not to place restrictions on the entry of aid into the enclave.

Former US Ambassador to Israel David Friedman said in response, "This is just repugnant. Israel is fighting a war on seven fronts against terrorist forces that show no respect for humanity, law or morality, and Biden/Harris/Blinken/Austin are threatening to hold off assistance to Israel unless Israel increases 'humanitarian aid' that invariably just extends the war and is hijacked by Hamas."

"Make no mistake here — this is just political gamesmanship by the Biden/Harris administration to pick up a few more votes among it’s woke supporters. It is a cynical but deadly gambit that will make a hostage deal even less likely and lead to more carnage and instability. Amateur hour!" Friedman said.

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
quote:
According to The Washington Post

WTAF? Why are we reading this in the newspaper? Whose interest is served by that?

"Loose lips sink ships" is so 1940s.

Posts: 20665 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Netanyahu told Biden that Israel will strike Iranian military

If Bibi told Biden this, then I’d expect completely different targets to be hit. He already KNOWS the Biden administration cannot be trusted; does anyone believe he would tell Biden his actual plans? I like to think he’s smarter than this. My guess is uranium enrichment sites are the target and that operatives on the ground are facilitating it.

Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Yup, I remember reading, when the Allies were fighting Nazi's, there was a cry for humanitarian aid as well. Or aid for the poor people along the Ho Chi Min Trail Roll Eyes
What utter bullshit. The Gazans are part and parcel Hamas.

Posts: 8741 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
I’m interested in seeing how this system performs in combat with multiple threats- as far as I know, it has seen only one firing on a lone ballistic threat in the United Arab Emirates in 2022.

The rumored-musing amongst the naval pundits is the deployment of THAADS is due to the Navy having expended a lot of their SM-3 missiles and any further usage would not only completely deplete Atlantic Fleet's inventory but, would then have to dip into the Pacific fleet's stock. Both system/missiles are designed to knock-out ballistic missiles outside the atmosphere, SM-3 has a very good record of intercepts and being on a ship, means no troops on the ground.

This bring up the the bigger issue...Navy has only been budgeting 12 SM-3 missiles per year for the next five years (!). The fun & games in the Red Sea and Eastern Med, has seen A LOT more missiles shot off than what's being produced yearly. Is anybody in .gov serious about magazine inventory?

Or, US Army wanted to see their baby get some action and prove itself....

Posts: 15109 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is anybody in .gov serious about magazine inventory?

That question came to my mind, and came out of my mouth as "What the..." (my wife was right beside me) when FNC said that this THAAD missile battery was one of, I think, eight in our entire military. It will be up to President Trump 47 to start getting the military's collective head out of their collective ass.