SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Random thread about nothing....
Page 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... 47
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Random thread about nothing.... Login/Join 
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Thank God the wind finally quit howling.

Posts: 26910 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cold Ass Honkey
Picture of Sig Vicious
posted Hide Post
So have Sgt. Nick Fury's Commandos.

------------------------------
Never fully gruntled.

Posts: 2173 | Location: OR-ee-GUN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
I think putting the Christmas lights back into their original box might be harder than getting the genie back into the bottle.
I have an aftermarket container for Christmas ornaments. I really need to undress the tree and put the ornaments away.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Just had my 1966 Mustang checked out and prepped for possible sale. Anyone know what would be a good price?

flashguy

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
$79.95. I'll be there early tomorrow.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Don't bother. (Nice try, though.)

flashguy

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:I have an aftermarket container for Christmas ornaments. I really need to undress the tree and put the ornaments away.

flashguy

Save the effort, I have a cat that will undress the tree.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
Was just inside a young lady's home this past Sunday. She had two black cats that walked by me. I'm screwed!

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2409 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:I have an aftermarket container for Christmas ornaments. I really need to undress the tree and put the ornaments away.

flashguy

Save the effort, I have a cat that will undress the tree.
I have 4 indoor cats, but they pretty much ignore the tree. They do like to lie down under it, though.

flashguy

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
A check is not the same as cash.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Selling a company out of LA a truck, 11.45% sales tax.. Eek Truck is about $72k Eek

Posts: 5323 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I just ate Spam for the first time in forty years or more. It was good Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Seen across the room... Little 7 year old special needs boy was picking his nose then grabbing popcorn out of a communal bowl of popcorn.

People were scooping out dixie cups full to eat...

Should I have said something???

Well, the party was all but over and it was HIS birthday party after all...

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
So there I am, out in the driveway, near the end of February, after an ice storm, clearing ice off the vehicles in gym shorts and a golf quarter-zip

(Only things that got uncomfortably cold were my hands. I'll wear gloves for the next vehicle.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I'm about to change jobs, after almost 23 years with my current employer. And I'm excited!

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
If you listen to music, you've heard cymbals made by Zildjian. This was a title granted to a man named Avedis by Sultan Osman II in 1618, a combination of the Turkish words zil (cymbal), dji (maker) ian (son of). This has been a generational family-owned business for over 400 years, one of the oldest on the planet. Avedis III came from Turkey to the US in 1908 and had two sons, Armand and Robert. There was a depression, then a world war, and then some drama when Avedis III passed away in 1979. The brothers had a falling out, and the two factories the family owned were split, one going to Armand, who continued to produce cymbals under the name Zildjian, and the other going to Robert, who founded a new company named Sabian. This much is fairly common knowledge, at least in some corners of the music industry. What isn't so widespread is how Robert named his company, after Sally, Bill, and Andy (apparently a nickname for Armand), after his first three children. Of course, the suffix "-ian" is critical, so it was retained. Armand passed away in 2002, and Robert in 2013. A family secret metallurgical formula over 400 years old has become the sound we think of when we hear cymbals in just about all music that's ever been recorded, and now you know a little more about it than you did a few minutes ago.

Posts: 17137 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
^^^
That's fun to know!

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Somebody asked about anti-virus products. I was going to expand on one particular follow-up, then thought "I'm answering a question that was not asked." Rather than throw all that work away Smile, I'll just toss it in here...

quote:
Originally posted by architect:
Deeply invested in the open source community, I have little use for A/V software, ...
This ^^^^^

An analogy: In software design and coding there's a concept known as "anti-bugging." It's methods of designing and creating software in such a manner that it's "naturally" less likely to be buggy.

Anti-bugging is far superior to debugging for a variety of reasons. This is how I approach software design and creation. (Sometimes I'm even successful Wink.)

I take the same approach with my computer and mobile operating systems: I try to choose solutions that are less inclined to being exploited, rather than try to band aid things with a reputation for exploitability and being exploited.

Here's the major problem with so-called "anti-virus" software: It largely depends upon "signatures." The problem lies with the fact that, in order for a signature to be created, the offending malware first has to be seen. And how does that happen? Most times when one-or-more, perhaps thousands, of systems become infected.

Anti-virus software is reactive, rather than proactive--just like software debugging is reactive, rather than proactive.

It's kind of like eating well, exercising, and getting regular sleep to be naturally more resistant to illness, rather than relying on pharmaceuticals to fix you after-the-fact. Being proactive, rather than reactive.

Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

I take the same approach with my computer and mobile operating systems: I try to choose solutions that are less inclined to being exploited, rather than try to band aid things with a reputation for exploitability and being exploited.

So, what is your chosen OS for computer and mobile? There aren't a lot of choices out there.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
So, what is your chosen OS for computer and mobile? There aren't a lot of choices out there.
Linux and iOS.

But, it's not just the OSes, themselves. It's also the applications I run. E.g.: I've never enabled Flash, even when it was available on Linux platforms. In fact I avoid all Adobe products.

(And, yes: Before anybody points out that neither Linux nor iOS are immune: I know this. That's why I wrote "less inclined," rather than "immune." [And even that's arguable vis-a-vis iOS vs. AndroidOS, these days.])