SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Inflation!!!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inflation!!! Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have been here in FL for a year. I spent the 1st 47 years of my life in CA so that’s the only whacked thing I have for reference. they paid off the bond debt on a local toll bridge so the state is dropping the toll by about 1/2. Would NEVER see that in CA. They continue to collect the same amount maybe raise the toll and piss it away on bums and junkies

Paid my vehicle registration today $46 for each car. That’s over a 90% decrease

But things like gas and food keep creeping up.

Posts: 4737 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
I have come to the very real conclusion that this war on our economy, individualism and liberty is absolutely on purpose!

I agree, it's intentional. We're spending to fight Climate Change, force everyone to electric cars, and install CRT in all the schools. And you're going to like it, period, no matter what it does to the economy.

One of the conservative shows replayed a campaign video of Biden promising he was going to destroy/eliminate the fossil fuel industry. And now the administration is pointing out all the unused leases. If I were the CEO of an oil company, damned if I'd invest more $$$ in drilling when Biden has promised he's going to eliminate the industry.

Remember, "We're changing people's lives!!!"

Posts: 941 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I know this is cynical but:

By pushing inflation, the left can deplete the nest eggs of the older retired group on fixed incomes. Many of these seniors are on fixed retirement incomes and will receive a reduced standard of living. Many of them will simply run out of money.

This is considered a win by the left because these folks tend to value the financial independence they built through hard work and savings. They resist government dependence and control. By ruining them financially they will be forced to depend upon government handouts, the left reasons, and will be swayed to vote for democrats because of their reduced financial state and dependence upon the govt for aid.

Some of them, because of financial losses, will receive less healthcare, medications etc as well as suffer more mental stress due to the increased financial distresses, resulting in earlier deaths. This too is viewed as a win by the left as a hastier demise of the boomer generation can only be seen as a good thing by the conservative hating left.

While this was written with a satirical mindset reflecting my cynical nature, I can’t help but wonder if I am becoming paranoid in my old age. Am I starting to imagine outrageous conspiracies?

Let me get back to bar-b-quing the chicken I can still afford.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxdog:
Yes, I know this is cynical but:

By pushing inflation, the left can deplete the nest eggs of the older retired group on fixed incomes. Many of these seniors are on fixed retirement incomes and will receive a reduced standard of living. Many of them will simply run out of money.

I disagree. Most seniors are already at least emotionally dependent on fedgov. They await the monthly Social Security deposit and verify it on the day due. They value Medicare and all the subparts of it.

The government doesn't want to wreck seniors' finances. Fedgov already owns the seniors.

Those who are truly independent of any outside need are very few in numbers. Those with tens of millions in spendable cash.

But I do think the government is happy to create dependency in younger generations. Politicians love to show how generous they are, and how dangerous the free market is. I don't believe the government intentionally created this much inflation or this quick of a recession, but I do believe they are masters at kicking the can down the road. They love to spend, and they love to rescue the masses with $$$. They know it will cause inflation but most of them are either too stupid or too uncaring to think about it at the time.

They thought the effects would be minimal enough that it wouldn't impact the next election.

Fossil fuel inflation is a different story. That is intentional. As is health care inflation and the misery of the system.

Posts: 9400 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Holy crap Eek

We ordered new appliances (GE Cafe) back on 12/31/21 for a new kitchen going in this August.

Just contacted the appliance place and they confirmed everything ordered is now in and they’re holding them for us.

For shits and giggles I looked up the fridge we picked out and compared the price we paid on 12/31/21 and the price today…it’s UP $500

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Stopped at McDonald's this morning for a coffee and noted that all the food items on the "dollar" menu were now $1.99 and up Frown

Ouch. I like hitting up the low price menu for breakfast.

I was looking at laptops some months ago, 1 TB SSDs and top of the line 2 in 1 laptops with separate video chips for $1,700. I was happy and I figured I can wait. Now, it's only 500 GB SSD for $2,800. I'm kicking myself I didn't buy one back then.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
eggs were .08 to .12 apiece. Most of my life. This week a dozen was almost $4. More than .30 ea. So plz do not tell me inflation is 8-10% or even 20%.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
CPI is a goober number made up to suppress the truth.

We are watching the purposeful destruction of American individualism and autonomy. They want everybody on the government teat.

Thank G*d New York State gave the second amendment another booster shot.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
CPI is and has always been bullshit.

You aren’t going to count the TWO BIGGEST costs to the American consumer when calculating inflation: FOOD and FUEL?

Yeah, right. Roll Eyes

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
eggs were .08 to .12 apiece. Most of my life. This week a dozen was almost $4. More than .30 ea. So plz do not tell me inflation is 8-10% or even 20%.

Are you sure those were regular old eggs?

"Normal" eggs are only up a little above the usual price around here. Used to be around $1.39 for a dozen, and now are $1.89 per dozen.

But if you want the free range, organic, non-GMO, fair trade, hippie eggs, those are $4+ per dozen.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Eggs are $3-$4 a dozen around here depending on store

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Right, $1.89 to $3.69 is not 10% Roll Eyes

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Im a senior. I get Social Security. A whole $120 a month. Yee Haw!
Maybe one tank of gas. So much for my dependence on the Feds.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Yesterday Varney showed a graphic on construction materials. Up 33.6%

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
If you don’t think this is intentional then you probably think Joe won the election straight up and that Covid wasn’t weaponized and gas prices are Putin’s doing.

This has always been the plan of the left. They were just slow walking it until Trump came along. They couldn’t allow him disrupting the plan so they rigged the election to get rid of him. They got away with it so that put everything into overdrive. I for one won’t be surprised if the mid terms aren’t the Democrat blood bath we keep hearing about.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8505 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If there are degrees of inflation i.e.
Slight inflation
Mild
Moderate
Substantial
Drastically inflated

What is the next title ?
Where do we go beyond " inflation "

Collapse ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Bought 18 1/2" conduit elbows today to make trellises for my tomatoes. Used to be, a fella could go down to the hardware store and pick them up for about $1 each.

$168. Eek Mad

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Consumer Price Index increased in June 9.1%, compared to previous year

Number marks the biggest yearly increase since December 1981

https://justthenews.com/nation..._campaign=newsletter

The Consumer Price Index increased in June by 9.1%, compared to the same time the previous year, the Labor Department announced Wednesday.

The number marks the biggest yearly increase since December 1981, according to the Associated Press.

Financial analysts predicted an 8.8% increase.

The CPI increased 1.3% from May.

The year-over-year increase for May was 8.6%.

The new, 40-year high in June, is largely attributed to increases in the cost of gas costs, food rent, automobiles and hotel rooms.

Posts: 12580 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Going to get worse until they correct their stupid inflationary, no growth policies. They have a $4 trillion war chest now.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post