SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Inflation!!!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inflation!!! Login/Join 
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
As a pragmatist, I intend to learn Venezuelan in the very near future, but I can't seem to find it on the Rosetta Stone website. Smile

I know your post was tongue in cheek, but that photo is of Somaliland, in East Africa.

Of course, in order to provide a relevant photo I submit Miss Venezuela instead Wink

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The ever shrinking size of a Haagen Daz Bar is a good example of ongoing shrinkflation..

Posts: 1453 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
We went to the KC Airshow today - great show! Thunderbirds were fantastic!

They had the usual concessions - we go every year to the airshow and I did expect a price increase. But it was more than I thought
Corn Dog - $20
1/4 lb cheesburger - $20
Chicken Skewer with mac and cheese - $25
Lemonade - $8
12oz can of beer - $10

This was after the $40 per person entry ticket.

The crowd was the usual size - but the concession stand lines were short or no wait. Not sure what they expect at those prices - I observed a lot of unsold product for 3pm on the last day of a 2 day event.
I'm sure the concession costs have gone up, but they were already charging way more than they should have been.
There were a couple of charity run concessions and they did not raise their prices - those stands were busy.

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3925 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I won’t go at those prices. It’ll be another in a long list of activities that have priced themselves out of my family’s future.

Posts: 10949 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dzozer:
We went to the KC Airshow today - great show! Thunderbirds were fantastic!

They had the usual concessions - we go every year to the airshow and I did expect a price increase. But it was more than I thought
Corn Dog - $20
1/4 lb cheesburger - $20
Chicken Skewer with mac and cheese - $25
Lemonade - $8
12oz can of beer - $10

This was after the $40 per person entry ticket.

The crowd was the usual size - but the concession stand lines were short or no wait. Not sure what they expect at those prices - I observed a lot of unsold product for 3pm on the last day of a 2 day event.
I'm sure the concession costs have gone up, but they were already charging way more than they should have been.
There were a couple of charity run concessions and they did not raise their prices - those stands were busy.

Were backpacks/coolers permitted? Air Shows tend not to have any shade anywhere, so lot's of water, gatorade, etc is mandatory to stay hydrated. I'd be bringing my own food & beverage, or NOT attending at those prices!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
Were backpacks/coolers permitted? Air Shows tend not to have any shade anywhere, so lot's of water, gatorade, etc is mandatory to stay hydrated. I'd be bringing my own food & beverage, or NOT attending at those prices!

You were allowed to bring in clear water bottles and sports bottles, but no coolers. I don't think outside food was allowed either. They did hand out free water bottles that were ice cold to everyone when exiting the show.

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3925 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Taillight bulb for my Camry.

Took the old bulb into O'Reilly auto parts down the street.

It's a 194 bulb.

Would you believe $7.99 for a pack of 2?? Can't buy just one, may never need the 2nd one. $4.00 bucks for one piddly tail light bulb seems ridiculous.

The package label says Made in Italy, so at least that's better than china.

Posts: 11846 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Taillight bulb for my Camry.

Took the old bulb into O'Reilly auto parts down the street.

It's a 194 bulb.

Would you believe $7.99 for a pack of 2?? Can't buy just one, may never need the 2nd one. $4.00 bucks for one piddly tail light bulb seems ridiculous.

The package label says Made in Italy, so at least that's better than china.
I'd bet I have half a dozen 'single' replacement bulbs in one of my little storage organizers from all the cars my wife has had. The process annoyed me enough that the last taillight bulb I changed, I went ahead and replaced the other (currently working) bulb with a new bulb as well. Hopefully that will take care of it beyond our ownership of that car.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I am surprised anyone showed up to the airshow at those prices. Unbelievable. Frown

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19188 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Someone please explain the inflation rate being about 8%, I can't think of anything that not 25-30% higher in cost.

Posts: 5320 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
The 8 percent is year on year. But the way our govt calculates inflation is a giant lie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnPrsBzIZsw

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Someone please explain the inflation rate being about 8%, I can't think of anything that not 25-30% higher in cost.

It's all complete bullshit

Was at my local supermarket last night (Giant) and butter is $5(!) a pound for plain old store brand and eggs are $2.75 a dozen for the cheapest ones. My wife said most things she buys there have doubled in price in the past few months. Mad

Butter USED to be around $2 a pound for store brand and eggs were $0.89 to $1.00 a dozen.

FUCK YOU JOE BIDEN Red Face

Posts: 33812 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I went grocery shopping yesterday.

A loaf of bread was $4.00.

FOUR FUCKING DOLLARS! It was $1.79 this time last year.

I blame the shit brained third party voters as much as I do the traitorous demorrhoid voters.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Easy fellas … CPI is a self serving goober metric.

That doesn’t measure the increase in cost of living or the decrease in wages. Everybody just lost six weeks of work in a year.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Maybe these prices will wake people up. Voters in this country had better smarten up pretty damn quick because it is possible to kill the golden goose.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
^^^^They won’t. I work with a lot of these people. One still wears his “Impeach 45” shirt proudly.

———————————————

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
^^^^They won’t. I work with a lot of these people. One still wears his “Impeach 45” shirt proudly.

I realize its your work, but it would be awesome if you could somehow surreptitiously replace the 5 with a 6... Cool

'Live long and prosper'

Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
^^^I’d love to but I’m so outnumbered it isn’t funny. But they do know where I stand.

———————————————

posted Hide Post
Desantis will need to revise the old are you better off Today than 4 years ago trope when he runs in ‘24

I Bought groceries at Walmart with my wife 2 nights ago. Didn’t really buy anything unnecessary except a 12 pack of Sam adams octoberfest. Which will be my treat and last for the next few weeks. $172!! Wtf. I’m like what the heck did we buy ?! All regular canned goods and veggies and fresh meats and dairy we buy and use. we try to buy the Walmart house brand whenever there’s a choice. That same ~dozen bags of groceries was $100-125$ last year easily. I know because her and I go in the evenings when it’s less traffic and we like to get out of the house without kids sometimes. Upside is gas is back under $3 today. I work from home so I only fill up about every 2+ weeks

Posts: 4767 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I need a new battery for my Camry.

4 Cylinder, nothing special, nothing high powered, there's a gazallion Camry's and other cars that use that particular size battery.

My existing battery lasted 5 years, that was more or less reasonable, I thought.

Every auto parts store wants right at $200 bucks for a decent battery. I do NOT want the el cheapo 90 day warranty battery for $100, thank you very much. AAA has a new battery, right at $200-ish, 36 month free exchange, next 3 years are pro-rated for a grand total of 6 years of warranty.

Ended up at Costco and got an Interstate 24F for $109 plus the governors share of the money.

I know things have got up, but I vividly remember too too many years for paying $59-79 for a 4 year warranty battery.

And, I just picked up a few more of those el cheapo extension cord holders, they're usually Orange, here is a link cuz I can't seem to be able to post pics.

Orange extension cord holder LINK

Everybody seems to sell these, they all look alike, wallymart Home depot, etc, all sell these.

I use them to hold my outdoor Christmas lights and the associated power cords for the lights, nothing heavy duty. I have a crap load of these.

Anyway, 2 years, maybe 3 years ago, these were 97 cents at wallymart, and 99 cents at home depot and lowes.

Now they're $4.98 !!! 5 times the price from 2 years ago!!!! OUTRageous!!!

Big deal, only 4 dollars increase in price, but 500% ???

I have a lot of these and keep light weight things on them, nothing heavy duty, but yesterday I put about 500 running feet of antenna wire on a couple of these, so that adds up really quickly.

Posts: 11846 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post