SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Inflation!!!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inflation!!! Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
FWIW regarding the shrinking of product, and paying more for the same item but it is now smaller, or less in the package....

Most of the convenience stores here have shrunk the size of drink containers at the drink fountain, and this includes some very popular fast food joints. The 44 ounce drink is now 42 or 40 ounces, the 32 ounce has shrunk to 30. Apparently the coffee to go cups are shrinking too.

Posts: 11845 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Open a new box of Club crackers and the three individually wrapped stacks were an inch short of the top of the box. The “Party Size” Lays chips for $5.29 were 12.25 ounces. That party sucks.

Posts: 10942 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
Consumer Price Index increased in June 9.1%, compared to previous year

Number marks the biggest yearly increase since December 1981

https://justthenews.com/nation..._campaign=newsletter

The Consumer Price Index increased in June by 9.1%, compared to the same time the previous year, the Labor Department announced Wednesday.

The number marks the biggest yearly increase since December 1981, according to the Associated Press.

Financial analysts predicted an 8.8% increase.

The CPI increased 1.3% from May.

The year-over-year increase for May was 8.6%.

The new, 40-year high in June, is largely attributed to increases in the cost of gas costs, food rent, automobiles and hotel rooms.
But, but, but, the VP Knob Polisher claimed today that inflation numbers aren't as bad as they look because gas prices have fallen around $.40/gallon over the past few weeks. Huh? Maybe someone needs to educate this walking vacuum pump that gas prices are not currently used for CPI calculations.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Was just at my local Giant supermarket on my way home from work, wife asked me to pick up some strawberries or blueberries and I was totally shocked at how EXPENSIVE things are. “9.1%” inflation today? BULLSHIT!

It’s more like 40%-50% for food, a small container of blueberries (in the middle of blueberry season!) was almost 6 bucks!

WTAF Frown

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Yesterday I shipped a small(ish) box via FedEx from Southeast Al to Monroe, La.

Not insured, nothing special, ~11 pounds, FedEx Priority Overnight, NOT the slightly more expensive First Overnight, $329. Eek
Standard Overnight was only $8 less...

I was like, wait? Wut?

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Was just at my local Giant supermarket on my way home from work, wife asked me to pick up some strawberries or blueberries and I was totally shocked at how EXPENSIVE things are. “9.1%” inflation today? BULLSHIT!

It’s more like 40%-50% for food, a small container of blueberries (in the middle of blueberry season!) was almost 6 bucks!

WTAF Frown

Blueberries come right off the bushes brother…

Already been through a couple pounds… raspberries too. Blackberries next month. Strawberries last month.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Jeez, even prescriptions are getting hit by inflation Roll Eyes

Wife picked up a refill of Flonase for me and it’s been $11 for several years but now all of a sudden it’s $15? That’s like a 37% increase

Makes me wonder if anything we have to get a prescription for in the future is going to get jacked up too? I’ve had to shell out $50-60 for various meds on my not-so-great health insurance I have, they’ll probably be $70-$80 now Mad

I realized Flonase is now OTC and found the same size bottle for $14 from Amazon so I guess it’s going to be Amazon from now on and not my local grocery store pharmacy

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
[SARCASM]

I did good today. I was able to get gas and groceries for only two hundred bucks.

I sure am glad the Putin Price Discount started. It was almost getting too expensive for one peson.

[/SARCASM]

Posts: 9153 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
The worst is true inflation is above 15%, because the method we use purposely omits "volatile" products like fuel and food.....

you know the stuff average people depend on, so really its 9.1% for rich people, 15% at least for the average jane

Posts: 1471 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Jeez, even prescriptions are getting hit by inflation Roll Eyes

Wife picked up a refill of Flonase for me and it’s been $11 for several years but now all of a sudden it’s $15? That’s like a 37% increase

Makes me wonder if anything we have to get a prescription for in the future is going to get jacked up too? I’ve had to shell out $50-60 for various meds on my not-so-great health insurance I have, they’ll probably be $70-$80 now Mad

I realized Flonase is now OTC and found the same size bottle for $14 from Amazon so I guess it’s going to be Amazon from now on and not my local grocery store pharmacy

Costco has the generic 5 pack for under $20. It’s even less when it goes on sale.

Posts: 791 | Location: PA | Registered: June 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Not only did the prices go up on everything a lot of the quantities of the items got smaller.

Posts: 1955 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
People's pool of money. Whether savings or income from work or retirement is shrinking for every necessary item or expense. Let alone think of buying some kind non discretionary item. This economy is truly ruining the middle class. Which is all clearly by design. And it ain't slow joe doing it.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19187 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^
I believe the OTC Flonase is lesser strength. I would check on that.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Governor Whitler had an ad on TV last night where she starts off saying she can’t do anything about inflation. I hope the folks in Michigan reward her honesty this November.

Posts: 10942 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSgt USMC/Vet:
Not only did the prices go up on everything a lot of the quantities of the items got smaller.

Yep. Shrinkflation

Was making a dessert with my boys and the recipe called for a “12 oz package of chocolate chips” and as I poured them in, I realize the bag is only 11 oz Roll Eyes

I could have sworn that a standard size bag of chocolate chips *used* to be 16 oz

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
People's pool of money. Whether savings or income from work or retirement is shrinking for every necessary item or expense. Let alone think of buying some kind non discretionary item. This economy is truly ruining the middle class. Which is all clearly by design. And it ain't slow joe doing it.
And wait until the Manchin/Schumer BBB bullshit bill goes into effect and raises taxes on everyone. They're taking our assets and are dissatisfied with the rate its transferring to them.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
My damn haircut is getting stupidly expensive. 25% increase after COVID $16 → 20, then today she tells me another 25%, $20 → $25. That's a 56% increase in two years. Yeah, sure inflation is only 9% Roll Eyes

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
As a pragmatist, I intend to learn Venezuelan in the very near future, but I can't seem to find it on the Rosetta Stone website. Smile

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
My BK two (tiny) cheeseburger, fries and unsweetened ice tea combo meal at lunch, medium was $9 today Frown

That would have been 5 bucks a year or two ago

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
And the boats are just around the corner to the left in the pix.

Right, inflation according to the numbers has nothing to do with what reality is for regular folks, nothing.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19187 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post