SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun....
Page 1 ... 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ... 239
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun.... Login/Join 
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Brett Kavanaugh groped my buttocks in an opium den during the Yuan dynasty in 1336.

Was that the opium den on Slim Chance Street or the opium den on No Way Avenue? I might have seen something, but I can't recall due to the opium haze of my life at that time. Wink

Posts: 4057 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
I read Ford's opening statement. It is well crafted to hit all the hot buttons and it may well convince Collins or Murkowski.

My own personal opinion is - there is no way her claims should stop the Kavanaugh nomination.

1. For the 4 other people she identifies as being there, all say they have no memories of such an event.

2. For such a dramatic event in her life she can't remember the house or even the date ("one evening that summer"). She remained in that area at least another 2 years.

3. Her HS is widely known as a party and drinking school even though they were teenagers. Did she subsequently attend any other parties in her HS years or college years ?

4. She lays out a rational about why there was such a delay in coming forth, but the reality is she made her public claim immediately after the hearing process had been completed. The timing was selected for maximum negative impact.

5. While she talks about how her life was damaged and she suffered panic attacks, she has had a very successful and fulfilling life with success in academics, surfing, and having a family. At the risk of being callous, it seems a bit over dramatized and quite orchestrated.

6. And standing opposite her unverified claims, there is Brett Kavanaugh's 30 or so years of outstanding judicial work, community work, a faithful and loving family, dozens of women supporting him who have known him his entire life.

You put those 30 years on the scale and try to balance it w Ford's claims. There is no comparison. She doesn't move the scale to her side by a single millimeter.

MHO

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Brett Kavanaugh groped my buttocks in an opium den during the Yuan dynasty in 1336.

Was that the opium den on Slim Chance Street or the opium den on No Way Avenue? I might have seen something, but I can't recall due to the opium haze of my life at that time. Wink

Noodles, is that you?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sr_Bull:
The Circus Continues...

The democrats and their lapdog media counterparts are beyond embarrassing. I hope every American is watching right now.

NBC Reporting a 4th Accuser (full length article at the link, shortened here for clarity)

WASHINGTON — The Senate Judiciary Committee is inquiring about at least one additional allegation of misconduct against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh, according to a letter obtained by NBC News and multiple people familiar with the process.

What ever it takes!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Up to four now huh? Should we take bets on the final number before the 10 AM hearing?

This needs to be voted on. A delay means no new justice this year. Even if he loses the vote Trump can name a new one that day and they should be able to get it done by 1 January. Not that I want him to, but there can be no more delay. Regardless of the comittee vote or the head count Mitch needs to bring this to the floor. Wasting weeks trying to satisy wishy washy leftists (Collins, etc) is a recipe for failure. Too late for that. Like I said, if she can't see through this to vote yes she has always been a no. And the RNC should make it clear to every one of them, if they vote no they are on their own next election. Not one dime. The money will go to their primary opponent instead.

Posts: 10640 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
Swetnik's statement is curiously similar to the lurid and over-the-top Adventures of O. C & Stiggs series printed in National Lampoon back then.

The Utterly Monstrous, Mind Roasting Summer of OC & Stiggs: October, 1982. A classic and some of the funniest shit you'll ever read in your life. I wish that I still had it.

Also, here is a link to a review of Ford's high school yearbooks. Those girls needed no help to be drunk and raunchy.

http://cultofthe1st.blogspot.c...h-school_19.html?m=1

http://www.oldhippie.com/ocnstigs/OC-Stiggs.pdf

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
What ever it takes!

To paraphrase the entire article:

an anonymous letter claiming someone’s daughter saw Kavanaugh molest another woman in 1998

Unbelievable the shit they'll pass off as "news" knowing there are a certain percentage of Americans dumb enough to accept it cart blanche, no verification necessary.

Posts: 499 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
here is Ford's opening statement

https://www.scribd.com/documen...Testimony#from_embed

I read her opening statement. Color me unconvinced that the suffered anything other than an assault by the Democratic party hacks.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20391 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Middle, thinking America are not duped by these shenanigans. The mid terms are going to blow up in these charlatans faces. Not only will Kavanaugh get his appointment, but more seats will swing red. I cannot wait.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15805 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
Up to four now huh? Should we take bets on the final number before the 10 AM hearing?

This needs to be voted on. A delay means no new justice this year. Even if he loses the vote Trump can name a new one that day and they should be able to get it done by 1 January. Not that I want him to, but there can be no more delay. Regardless of the comittee vote or the head count Mitch needs to bring this to the floor. Wasting weeks trying to satisy wishy washy leftists (Collins, etc) is a recipe for failure. Too late for that. Like I said, if she can't see through this to vote yes she has always been a no. And the RNC should make it clear to every one of them, if they vote no they are on their own next election. Not one dime. The money will go to their primary opponent instead.

Absolutely agree. Win or lose the senate vote on confirmation for Brett Kavanaugh will probably be done by the middle of next week. I would expect that President Trump is already looking at a choice for another nomination if he has not already chosen one to be prepared though at this point though it might be difficult to find someone that would actually want to go through the confirmation process in this toxic environment.

Posts: 9830 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
"This is a con game that they are playing." --God bless President Trump.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11215 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a feeling that tomorrow on C-SPAN will be like watching a 12 hour live episode of Maury or Jerry Springer.

Will I be watching? Absolutely.

Granted, the night is still young and the Dem's are still releasing garbage to bolster their case, but at this time it appears the only thing that we'll be missing is this:

Posts: 499 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
The Circus Continues...

The democrats and their lapdog media counterparts are beyond embarrassing. I hope every American is watching right now.

NBC Reporting a 4th Accuser (full length article at the link, shortened here for clarity)

WASHINGTON — The Senate Judiciary Committee is inquiring about at least one additional allegation of misconduct against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh, according to a letter obtained by NBC News and multiple people familiar with the process.

What ever it takes!

Pretty much and how sad. There are a lot of people who will in their minds believe Brett Kavanaugh is guilty just because of the number of allegations no matter how baseless they are and the democrats know that. Senators also fear political ads will be run against them "he/she voted to confirm a man, who had four credible women make claims of sexual assault misconduct against him, for the Supreme Court continuing the republican war on women". I hate to say it but IMO his chances of getting confirmed to SCOTUS are pretty slim now. I see his only chance is if the accuser tomorrow is not very convincing and Brett Kavanaugh is powerfully convincing and his appearance on Fox News was not very convincing if it goes anything like that.

Posts: 9830 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spot the Glaring Contradictions Between Ford's Written Allegations Against Kavanaugh?

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/...inst-kavana-n2522982

r. Christine Blasey Ford's polygraph examination results were released on Wednesday. The polygraph was conducted on Aug. 7 by Virginia-based examiner Jeremiah Hanafin.

Hanafin asked Ford two questions:

1. Is any part of your testimony false? Answer: No.
2. Did you make up any part of your statement? Answer: No.

According to the results, Ford's answers were deemed "not indicative of deception."

That would be all fine and dandy, except there is are two blatant contradictions in her accusations.
Contradiction #1

In her July 30th letter to Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA), Ford said, "The assault occurred in a suburban Maryland area home at a gathering that included me and 4 others."

In her Aug. 7th polygraph letter, she said, "There were 4 boys and a couple of girls."

National Review's Charles C.W. Cooke tweeted images of both letters, side-by-side, so the public could have a comparison of the two.

Even if Ford counted herself in one account and not the other, there's no way to come to the same total number of people at the party.

Feinstein letter would mean 5 people total.

Polygraph letter would mean 6-7 people total (depending on if she counted herself or not).

Contradiction #2

In the Feinstein letter, Ford said, "Kavanaugh physically pushed me into a bedroom as I was headed for a bathroom up a short stairwell from the living room."

In the the polygraph letter, Ford said, "At that point I was pushed into the bedroom by two persons into a bedroom and was locked in the room and pushed onto a bed."

In her prepared statement, Ford said she was pushed into a bedroom by Kavanaugh and Mark Judge.

Let's see how this plays out during the Senate Judiciary Committee's hearing on Thursday and if these contradictions are brought up by Committee members.

Posts: 13100 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Here is the purported anonymous letter from the 4th accuser:

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
notice that Ford's lawyers would not release the therapy notes from 2012

why ?

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.9cee631aa47c

"Ford said she told no one of the incident in any detail until 2012, when she was in couples therapy with her husband. The therapist’s notes, portions of which were provided by Ford and reviewed by The Washington Post , do not mention Kavanaugh’s name but say she reported that she was attacked by students “from an elitist boys’ school”"

"Notes from an individual therapy session the following year, when she was being treated for what she says have been long-term effects of the incident, show Ford described a “rape attempt” in her late teens . "

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
quote:
quote:
The Circus Continues...

What ever it takes!

Pretty much and how sad. There are a lot of people who will in their minds believe Brett Kavanaugh is guilty just because of the number of allegations no matter how baseless they are and the democrats know that. Senators also fear political ads will be run against them "he/she voted to confirm a man, who had four credible women make claims of sexual assault misconduct against him, for the Supreme Court continuing the republican war on women". I hate to say it but IMO his chances of getting confirmed to SCOTUS are pretty slim now. I see his only chance is if the accuser tomorrow is not very convincing and Brett Kavanaugh is powerfully convincing and his appearance on Fox News was not very convincing if it goes anything like that.

This is my fear, but I'm going to remain positive until what happens, happens. Large volume of BS claims = enough doubt cast to scare off RiNOs. I hope he prevails, on the .0007% chance these claims or at least one is true, they can try for impeachment.

I'll tell you this, I spent most of my free time from 16-19 trying to get laid, that includes drinking along with women in hopes they let go of so of their inhibitions. We even made punch with Ever Clear (190 proof grain alcohol) called Pink Panty Pull Down. It was well known after a couple you were very well buzzed. Hell I even kissed a girl and grabbed her but without permission in advance, as well as doing some grinding. Guess I will never make it to SCOTUS (also not being laywer huts my chances).

I know there are plenty on here that lived a Puritan life, but I'd assume for the vast majority drunken debauchery filled parties were a decent portion of their late teens and early 20's. I'd venture if you really researched most people in college in the 90'.and prior you'd find lots of drunken parties with ass grabbing, attempts to get laid, and someone whipping their dick out.

The best these allegations add up too is being a horny teen, the worst is complete 100%.BS partisan allegations orchestrated perfectly for mass destruction.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21122 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
notice that Ford's lawyers would not release the therapy notes from 2012

why ?

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.9cee631aa47c

"Ford said she told no one of the incident in any detail until 2012, when she was in couples therapy with her husband. The therapist’s notes, portions of which were provided by Ford and reviewed by The Washington Post , do not mention Kavanaugh’s name but say she reported that she was attacked by students “from an elitist boys’ school”"

"Notes from an individual therapy session the following year, when she was being treated for what she says have been long-term effects of the incident, show Ford described a “rape attempt” in her late teens . "

How hard would it be to fake therapy notes? If they are not verified by a therapist they are no more credible than her changing story.

A lot riding on those notes:

Ford Says She Never Named Kavanaugh as Her Attacker Outside of Therapy Until Supreme Court Nomination

https://www.nationalreview.com...ons-brett-kavanaugh/

“Until July 2018, I had never named Mr. Kavanaugh as my attacker outside of therapy,” Ford will tell the Senate Judiciary Committee on Thursday, according to written testimony.

“This all changed in early July 2018. I saw press reports stating that Brett Kavanaugh was on the ‘short list’ of potential Supreme Court nominees,” she continued in her statement. “I thought it was my civic duty to relay the information I had about Mr. Kavanaugh’s conduct so that those considering his potential nomination would know about the assault.”

posted Hide Post
Judiciary Committee Staff Have Asked Avenatti for Evidence Six Times

https://www.nationalreview.com...judiciary-committee/

Senate Judiciary Committee staff have contacted Michael Avenatti on six separate occasions asking that he produce evidence to substantiate the allegation of sexual assault levied against Brett Kavanaugh by his client, Julie Swetnick.

“Altogether, this is my 6th email to you since your Sunday night Tweet, to seek your cooperation in obtaining evidence about your allegations,” a Judiciary Committee staff member wrote to Avenatti in a Wednesday email obtained by National Review. “Please let me know immediately whether your client will agree to an interview by committee investigators today. We can do a telephone interview anytime this afternoon or evening.”

Committee staffers first reached out to Avenatti for evidence of his client’s claims ten minutes after he tweeted about the allegations Sunday night and, in a subsequent email, provided a link to a local FBI field office so that he might report his client’s allegations himself.

“Going back to last Sunday evening (9/23), you Tweeted anonymous accusations against Judge Kavanaugh. Within 10 minutes, I emailed you and requested that you provide to the Senate Judiciary Committee the specific allegations and any evidence,” a Committee staff member wrote in the Wednesday email summarizing their correspondence thus far. “The Chairman’s committee investigators immediately started inquiring about your anonymous allegations. On Tuesday (9/25), the committee investigators questioned Judge Kavanaugh, under penalty of felony, about all pending and specific allegations against him, including your then-anonymous allegations and questions. He unequivocally denied the allegations. He has called them a smear – and worse.”

When reached for comment, Avenatti explained that while he is “open to considering” allowing Senate staff to interview his client, he would first like to receive an adequate answer to an email he sent to the staff on Monday that included a number of requests regarding the investigation into his client’s claims. In that email, Avenatti asked for a full FBI investigation of his client’s allegations, including a polygraph test, and also requested that Kavanaugh’s friend Mark Judge be called to testify regarding Kavanaugh’s behavior at parties in high school.

After first describing the allegations in a Sunday tweet, Avenatti released the name of his client, Julie Swetnick, Wednesday. Swetnick alleges that Kavanaugh routinely sexually assaulted girls at parties in high school and was “present” while she was gang raped at one such gathering. While she does not accuse Kavanaugh directly of participating in gang rape, she claims to have seen him waiting in line outside a bedroom where she believed a gang rape was taking place.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here is the purported anonymous letter from the 4th accuser:

Quick and dirty drafted up letter to buy them time to finish their warehouse training of the next ones. By tomorrow, names will magically come out. I blame Grassley for this entire fiasco. Mad

Q

Posts: 27561 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post