SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun....
Page 1 ... 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 ... 239
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun.... Login/Join 
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
Ex-boyfriend filed restraining order against third Kavanaugh accuser (Swetnick)

Julie Swetnick, the woman who accused Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh and a friend of attending house parties where women — including herself — were sexually assaulted, had a restraining order filed against her years later in Miami by her former boyfriend.

A Miami-Dade County court docket shows a petition for injunction against Swetnick was filed March 1, 2001, by her former boyfriend, Richard Vinneccy, who told POLITICO Wednesday the two had dated for four years before they broke up.

Thirteen days later, the case was dismissed, not long after an affidavit of non-ability to advance fees was filed.

According to Vinneccy, Swetnick threatened him after they broke up and even after he got married to his current wife and had a child.

“Right after I broke up with her, she was threatening my family, threatening my wife and threatening to do harm to my baby at that time,” Vinneccy said in a telephone interview with POLITICO. "I know a lot about her.”

"She’s not credible at all,” he said. “Not at all."

By signing up you agree to receive email newsletters or alerts from POLITICO. You can unsubscribe at any time.

The allegation is likely to raise questions among Republican defenders of Kavanaugh about Swetnick’s credibility after her attorney Michael Avenatti revealed her for the first time on Wednesday.

Reached late Wednesday, Avenatti said he knew nothing of a restraining order and called the line of inquiry irrelevant.

"Complete nonsense. No truth to this at all. Her ex-boyfriend fraudulently used her resume to apply for and obtain jobs and was caught by her," said Avenatti. “Why are you all attacking a sexual assault victim? Would that be appropriate in a court of law?”

Citing the sensitive nature of the case and the explosive politics surrounding it, Vinneccy said he wanted to talk to an attorney first before further discussing the case, which has kept him occupied all day.

“My phone has not stopped since this morning. Everyone is calling,” Vinneccy said.

Vinneccy, 63, is a registered Democrat, according to Miami-Dade County voting records.

Swetnick does not accuse Kavanaugh himself of sexually assaulting her in the sworn statement. But she asserts Kavanaugh was present when she was the victim of a “gang rape” by multiple boys at one party.

Vinneccy made clear that he did not believe her story.

“I have a lot of facts, evidence, that what she’s saying is not true at all,” he said. “I would rather speak to my attorney first before saying more."

Avenatti said called the reporting “outrageous” and accused the press of “digging into the past” of a woman who stepped forward and is willing to testify under oath.

“I am disgusted by the fact that the press is attacking a sexual assault victim,” Avenatti said.

When asked if the allegation of a restraining order were true, Avenatti said: “I don’t know one way or another,” adding he would research it further.

Avenatti previously said he had vetted the client and in a sworn statement, she said she still held government clearances.

https://www.politico.com/story...naugh-accuser-845348

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
wcb,

you may have missed my point.

therapy notes said late teens, her claim against Kavanaugh was when she was 15

They shared the report w WaPo, but not congress

Posts: 19661 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

I hope he prevails, on the .0007% .0001% chance these claims or at least one is true, they can try for impeachment.

Fixed it for you.

Posts: 491 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Here is the purported anonymous letter from the 4th accuser:

Left out of the NBC story: the third-hand account says that Kavanaugh’s 1998 victim was dating him.

How many Americans are being duped by this irresponsible reporting? The media is really good at blaming Pres. Trump for demonizing them, clearly they should be looking in the mirror for who to blame for their woes.

Posts: 491 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
wcb,

you may have missed my point.

therapy notes said late teens, her claim against Kavanaugh was when she was 15

They shared the report w WaPo, but not congress

Good catch!! Yes I missed it.

Posts: 12826 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

Quick and dirty drafted up letter to buy them time to finish their warehouse training of the next ones. By tomorrow, names will magically come out. I blame Grassley for this entire fiasco. Mad

I don’t see how he gets the blame. He has some power, but not control, on purpose. He is limited to what the rules provide and what the majority will put up with, against a strong determined, unified minority which has no regard for rules, tradition, decency or self respect.

Thankfully, he seems to have strong backing from all but Flake, and strong support from McConnell who I think will have been misunderestimated by many.

Speaking of Flake, it was him who lolly gagged over in Africa after McConnell cancelled the August recess to hold these hearings, then had to wait several weeks until Flake returned.

Feinstein had the letter, waiting to see if it became necessary to use it. The idea was to force the confirmation passed the midterms to take those 6-10 GDCs off the hook until then.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I must ask this question now.. if Kavanaugh fails to get enough votes this week, do President Trump and the GOP have enough time to nominate and confirm the next judge in line to SCOTUS before the midterms?

If such is the case, who's the best candidate on the list?

Posts: 1806 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
There was a 5th accuser, who already recanted

https://dailycaller.com/2018/0...augh-made-a-mistake/

A Rhode Island man who accused Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh of sexually assaulting his friend apologized on Wednesday and said he “made a mistake.”

The man called Rhode Island Democratic Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse’s office and claimed that Kavanaugh and Mark Judge, a high school friend of Kavanaugh, drunkenly sexually assaulted one of his friends, according to interview transcripts released by the Senate Judiciary Committee.

A committee investigator asked Kavanaugh about the allegation during an interview on Tuesday, which he denied.

The man’s name was redacted in the transcripts released to the public but the investigator quoted verbatim several outlandish anti-Trump tweets from the man’s Twitter account, allowing reporters to identify him on Twitter as “Jeffrey Catalan.”

now, Jeffrey Catalan:

"Do everyone who is going crazy about what I had said I have recanted because I have made a mistake and apologize for such mistake"

Posts: 19661 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
I believe when all is said and done 3 dems will break ranks and vote for him. He will be confirmed, and the VP's vote will not be needed. I am not sure how yet, but I have faith the truth will prevail.

Meanwhile, everyone keep praying.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:
I must ask this question now.. if Kavanaugh fails to get enough votes this week, do President Trump and the GOP have enough time to nominate and confirm the next judge in line to SCOTUS before the midterms?

Probably impossible. You have to give the GDCs a chance to round up more victims, and you don't know who to hire until the nominee is announced.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Laura Ingraham is hot tonight. And I'm right there with her. Man, I pray there is hell to pay for the dems when this travesty is over with and Kavanaugh is on the bench.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30558 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
How has Kavanaugh ever found the time to be a judge, what with all of the assaulting he's been allegedly doing? Probably one of the greatest serial assaulters in history - he's everywhere!

I just read where a Senator's aid is accusing the GOP is creating false accusers to try to make the legitimate accusers less valid and frivolous. They start this shit and then blame the GOP when it gets out of control. Brilliant Roll Eyes .

Elana Schor

@eschor

"Senior Senate Dem aide tells me there's a concern the GOP is "now releasing anonymous allegations in an effort to make all allegations look frivolous. We’re focusing on the ones that have names attached." https://twitter.com/jeneps/status/1045091112287965185 …"

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

That is the plan. Get rid of Kavanaugh, which is looking more and more likely and there's not time to confirm the next guy before midterms. Second part of the plan is, how does Trump find someone else willing to subject himself and his family to the attacks Kavanaugh has endured.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:
How has Kavanaugh ever found the time to be a judge, what with all of the assaulting he's been allegedly doing? Probably one of the greatest serial assaulters in history - he's everywhere!

I just read where a Senator's aid is accusing the GOP is creating false accusers to try to make the legitimate accusers less valid and frivolous. They start this shit and then blame the GOP when it gets out of control. Brilliant Roll Eyes .

Elana Schor

@eschor

"Senior Senate Dem aide tells me there's a concern the GOP is "now releasing anonymous allegations in an effort to make all allegations look frivolous. We’re focusing on the ones that have names attached." https://twitter.com/jeneps/status/1045091112287965185 …"

I doubt it.

In the immortal words of Nixon Chief of Staff H. R. Haldeman, “we’re so [expletive deleted] square, we’d get caught.”

So there’s that.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
I believe when all is said and done 3 dems will break ranks and vote for him. He will be confirmed, and the VP's vote will not be needed. I am not sure how yet, but I have faith the truth will prevail.

This is one of the very few times when I'm willing to believe that the antics of the other side might actually make that happen.

Posts: 27295 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Laura Ingraham is hot tonight. And I'm right there with her. Man, I pray there is hell to pay for the dems when this travesty is over with and Kavanaugh is on the bench.

Yeah she is! I feel a bit better about the chances now, She really tore into that NOW clown lady and would not let her get away with the "need full investigation" and these other accusers are credible bullshit.

Posts: 9777 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not before the mid terms but it could be possible before the end of the year as January 3 is when the new senators will be sworn in. The democrats will howl foul if they win back the senate but I could care less at this time.

I have no idea who president Trump would choose next if he decides to go that way. Obviously many want him to pick a woman this time and I believe there are 4-5 on "the list".

You might find information in this link interesting.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelli...urt-confirmatio.html

Posts: 9777 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:

Seems totally legit.

Posts: 8651 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
It's amazing that I see some on here already ready to jump ship on this man (slim chance of getting confirmed now, more likely that they'll get rid of him,...). I see it totally opposite. The more the accusers coming out, the more they will be seen as the frauds that they are. And, as I expect Judge Kavanaugh will stand firm and fight back tomorrow, like Justice Thomas did many years ago, in the end, he will get confirmed.

Q

Posts: 26780 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:

Seems totally legit.

Totally. And totally wondering what to “due” about it. I swear, these idiots have 2nd graders writing these things for them.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15693 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post