SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kennedy retiring
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 21
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kennedy retiring Login/Join 
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:

And it's only Wednesday...Love It!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6482 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fla. Jim:
The left "Has" already lost it's mind over this!

+++LINK+++
Liberal activists and journalists are melting down over Justice Anthony Kennedy announcing his retirement from the Supreme Court on Wednesday.

Kennedy, who has served as the court’s swing vote for decades, has now opened the door for President Donald Trump to finally give conservatives their long-desired court majority. (RELATED: Kennedy Calls It Quits: Longtime Swing Justice Hands Trump The Biggest Gift Of His Presidency)

Progressives immediately reacted to Kennedy’s retirement with fear, anger, and sadness.
It's worth the look to read their tweets at the link. Cool

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I imagine the God Damned Commie Senators running for re-election in Trump States are not sleeping well. There are 10 of them.

If the confirmation vote takes place before election day, they are going to have to chose between going against what Schumer tells them, or explaining to their constituents why they voted “No” on Trump’s super qualified nominee.

Which would you chose?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I did catch a blurb today that McConnel has said the confirmation will occur before the election.

Posts: 10640 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
one can only hope it leads to a few incapacitating strokes - or worse

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53850 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I said a prayer for the Nation on Sunday, and included the Supreme Court in it. I'll take this news as proof it was heard. Smile

Posts: 3406 | Location: Fairfax Co. VA | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
The Weather Channel has issued flash flood warnings for liberal areas.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So here's my question:

Trump has many good potential picks on his list.

My question is: What is the best way to get a good conservative placed on the Supreme Court without negatively impacting the midterms?

1) Nominate and confirm immediately, and hope this doesn't energize the democrats.

2) Nominate/confirm someone immediately before the midterms, with the thinking there won't be enough time to influence the elections significantly;

3) Nominate/confirm immediately after midterms, so that the elections won't be negatively impacted, but then he faces strong criticism from the left since the Republicans stalled and prevented Obama's third pick in a similar situation.

In other words, which would be better politically - get done quickly, or later?

Posts: 947 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
ONLY 85!! Good grief. That's ANCIENT.
Three and a half years (if I make it), and I'll be 85.

But based on your coherent posts I would never refer to you as a half boiled potato as I would Ginsburg.

Posts: 2500 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Literal gasps and cries of anguish from the DNC during a call which was interrupted by the breaking news:

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Via Tweet:

How it sounded inside a DNC committee meeting the moment Justice Kennedy’s retirement was announced

You can't see me but I am drinking a beer doing my happy dance!.....fully clothed for all you preeverts! Cool

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
DEMs: the Senate should wait until after the midterms to confirm a new justice

Schumer: Millions of people are just months away from determining senators who should vote to confirm or reject the President's nominee. And their voices need to be heard...Anything but that would be the absolute height of hypocrisy

Mitch McConnell: “We will vote to confirm Justice Kennedy’s successor this fall.”

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nojoy
posted Hide Post
Can you imagine if Roe vs Wade were to be reversed in the next couple years? Riots like we haven't seen in decades.

Posts: 1293 | Location: Marysville, WA 98271 | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
National Review

MSNBC’s Chris Matthews called on Democrats to obstruct the nomination of Justice Anthony Kennedy’s replacement to the Supreme Court Wednesday, minutes after Kennedy announced his retirement.

“I don’t think the Democrats should allow even meetings to occur for Trump’s nominee to fill this vacancy by Justice Kennedy,” Matthews said on MSNBC’s Hardball. “I think they have to fight eye for an eye for what happened in ’16, where the Republicans led by Mitch McConnell refused to even consider or meet with Merrick Garland. I think if the Democratic leadership under Schumer allows this to go forward, they’re going to have a huge problem with the Democratic base.”

Matthews cited Republican obstruction of Barack Obama’s nominee, Merrick Garland, which led to a 14-month vacancy on the high court, in suggesting Democrats would be held to account by their constituents if they don’t adopt similar tactics to block Kennedy’s replacement.

“There is no way politically that the Democratic base will stand for any kind of hearings or vote on a Trump nominee for the Supreme Court before the election. We’ve got an election in four and a half months. There is no reason to consider a Supreme Court replacement in that time,” Matthews said.

When asked how the Democrats might obstruct the nomination given the recent rule change lowering the confirmation threshold for Supreme Court nominees from 60 votes to a simple majority, Matthews suggested that they should block unrelated legislation to delay a confirmation vote.

“There’s a lot of dilatory tactics they can use on every bill before the Congress between now and November. If they don’t use everything they’ve got, if they don’t play hardball, I think they’re through,” Matthews said. “I know the Democratic base. They are very angry about this leadership. They don’t believe they’ve fought hard enough against Trump.”

“If [Kennedy] gets replaced by a hard-line social conservative the Democratic leadership will have hell to pay,” he concluded.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btanchors:
So here's my question:

Trump has many good potential picks on his list.

My question is: What is the best way to get a good conservative placed on the Supreme Court without negatively impacting the midterms?

1) Nominate and confirm immediately, and hope this doesn't energize the democrats.

2) Nominate/confirm someone immediately before the midterms, with the thinking there won't be enough time to influence the elections significantly;

3) Nominate/confirm immediately after midterms, so that the elections won't be negatively impacted, but then he faces strong criticism from the left since the Republicans stalled and prevented Obama's third pick in a similar situation.

In other words, which would be better politically - get done quickly, or later?

I say the SOONER the better.

Posts: 23227 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spokane228:
Can we count on McCain, Collins, and Flake to do the right thing?

Looks like you can throw Chuck Grassley into the pot with them.

Iowa Republican Sen. Chuck Grassley accused the Trump administration Wednesday of “ignoring or abusing” the law through the Environmental Protection Agency’s continued use of biofuel waivers.

Grassley also reminded the administration in a press statement about his powerful position on the Senate Judiciary Committee, which is responsible for considering judicial nominees. Grassley threatened to hold up President Donald Trump’s EPA nominees in 2017 over rumors the agency would reduce the RFS mandate.

“As chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, I … have concerns that EPA may be ignoring or abusing the Administrative Procedure Act as they continue to grant waivers in secret and refuse to respond to congressional oversight and public information requests regarding the practice,” he said in a statement.

Grassley has showed a willingness in the past to hold up judicial nominations. He hinted in 2017 at staying pat on Trump’s picks to run the EPA’s Office of Chemical Safety and Pollution Prevention and the agency’s air office.

http://dailycaller.com/2018/06...epa-biofuel-waivers/

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I went to college with Bill Pryor and I know he was on President Trump's short list the last time. I sincerely hope he gets another shot at the bench on the highest court in the land...he would be an EXCELLENT choice!

Good luck Bill!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Pretty sure we are done hearing about immigration for the summer.

Big Grin

Hmmm. You think maybe Trump will have the chance to have some quiet, and quietly effective, discussions with Li'l Kim, Putin and Xi while he's at it?

Posts: 27303 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
I imagine the God Damned Commie Senators running for re-election in Trump States are not sleeping well. There are 10 of them.

If the confirmation vote takes place before election day, they are going to have to chose between going against what Schumer tells them, or explaining to their constituents why they voted “No” on Trump’s super qualified nominee.

Which would you chose?

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK0_6a_zF-Y

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8560 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Our liberal POS junior senator, Chrissy Murphy, has started a petition in the Senate to prevent any approvals until after the midterms.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16644 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Altogether, a really excellent, wonderful day. Nope, not tired. Smile Smile Smile

Posts: 18383 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post