SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kennedy retiring
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kennedy retiring Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Interesting discussion on Fox about Kennedy, it's been said that when attorney gets ready to argue a case to SCOTUS they taylor the argument to get Kennedy to decide their way, they don't argue to the others as the core of the others are already set, some are going left, some are going right and it won't matter to direct your argument at them as long as you make your base solid, the decision is ultimately coming from Kennedy...

Get Kennedy on your side and you can win...

Now that he's gone that ability to target one justice to gap the political division will be closed.

As to Ginsburg, she did say to the liberal progressives that asked her to step down during Obama so he could appoint another liberal that she would not do so for that purpose..

It was probably more to remaining in power than extending the view of the left perpetually in her replacement.

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Literal gasps and cries of anguish from the DNC during a call which was interrupted by the breaking news:

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Via Tweet:

How it sounded inside a DNC committee meeting the moment Justice Kennedy’s retirement was announced

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spokane228:
Can we count on McCain, Collins, and Flake to do the right thing?

I wouldn't put any money on it. Hopefully McCain will have the good taste to expire before the end of July.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
I am excited like the rest of you guys, but never underestimate a Republican president's likelihood of picking faux conservative. It has happened plenty of times before.

This is what most people do not understand; Trump is not your typical Republican President. Gorsuch was an amazing pick, only Trump can capture lightning twice.

And when Ginsberg goes away, he'll hit lighting thrice Smile

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17195 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
If it worries the dems, I'm good. That is all... Wink

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6373 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
Great. I'm glad he wants a republican president to replace him.

True, but I was hoping it would be Ginsburg, first.

It still could be. She has the rest of June and all of July to expire.
We can hope. Smile

Posts: 7097 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am excited like the rest of you guys, but never underestimate a Republican president's likelihood of picking faux conservative. It has happened plenty of times before.

Oh FFS can you guys STFU with that crap?

Trump has already proven to me he'll pick the right person.

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Interesting discussion on Fox about Kennedy, it's been said that when attorney gets ready to argue a case to SCOTUS they taylor the argument to get Kennedy to decide their way, they don't argue to the others as the core of the others are already set, some are going left, some are going right and it won't matter to direct your argument at them as long as you make your base solid, the decision is ultimately coming from Kennedy...

Get Kennedy on your side and you can win...

Yeah? Look who was claiming that. A couple of journalists.

Most cases are not 5-4. About a year ago, a National Review article claimed,

quote:

The most recent term, in fact, was the least partisan since the middle of the 20th century. Over half of the cases were unanimous, and only 14 percent were decided by a 5–3 or 5–4 split. To some degree, this can be attributed to the fact that the Court had only eight justices for much of the term, meaning the justices had to work to avoid tie votes, or to the relatively inconsequential roster of cases the Court dealt with. But even in a more typical term, approximately 80 percent of votes are in support of the majority opinion, and only about 20 percent of cases are determined narrowly. The 5–4 cases that get national attention are in fact somewhat anomalous.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
This would really make heads explode (not that I seriously want it)

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I want her to fucking die during a hearing.

BANG!! The sound of her empty fucking head hitting the desk.

Warn a fella next time huh? I just about pissed myself I was laughing so hard.

Me too and I'm at the office. Everyone's staring.

Posts: 2107 | Location: Bowling Green, KY | Registered: January 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Justice Kennedy, fare thee well.

President Trump, pick a real conservative, please.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32053 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Just stopped by MSNBC...they all look like somebody just took a big shit in their mashed potatoes...especially Chrissy Hayes (he looks so sad) and Rachel Madcow (who fears the SC will now turn to the right)... Big Grin

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10592 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

Come on, man. Have some faith. Practically every person on Trump's list of choices is solid. I'm not worried at all.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30952 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:

This is what most people do not understand; Trump is not your typical Republican President.

My feeling as well. All our recent Republican presidents up to now have been faux conservatives themselves, so it shouldn't be surprising that they pick judges who are of the same stripe. Too ingrained in the process of political compromise, and too much in political debt due to said compromises to be able to take true conservative actions. Too attached to the status quo. Trump doesn't have that baggage to hold him back. It's also why RINOs like McCain oppose him at every turn - President Trump is upsetting the status quo and they don't like it. Personally, I'm loving it. For the first time a long while I have some hope that my nephews and nieces and their kids' generations might be able to pull America out of the downward spiral we've been locked into ever since LBJ (or FDR, take your pick).

Posts: 7418 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great news!!

quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:
Another Gorsuch in there please!

Yes indeed.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Exactly...The Federalist Society was/has been tasked with helping the President vet the list of potential SC nominees.

quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

Come on, man. Have some faith. Practically every person on Trump's list of choices is solid. I'm not worried at all.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4364 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The other day, a member said that this hag was "only" 85! ONLY 85!! Good grief. That's ANCIENT

It is ancient, I have only eight months to go and sometimes feel like the photos of Ginsberg look.

Ginsberg will hang in there until we have a Dem POTUS and Senate----I think that will be a long, long time.
I do think that death is an automatic disqualifier for the SCOTUS though.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
I'm upset. Trump lied to me.

He said I'd get tired of winning.

Posts: 3678 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
We'll likely all be blindsided when Breyer croaks before Ginsburg. The guy is 79 years old after all. Breyer or Ginsburg though...makes no difference.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30952 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
Just stopped by MSNBC...they all look like somebody just took a big shit in their mashed potatoes...especially Chrissy Hayes (he looks so sad) and Rachel Madcow (who fears the SC will now turn to the right)... Big Grin

I can imagine exactly what they are saying. Trump is going to bring Hitler back to life and appoint him, or Trump is going to appoint himself and be a Supreme and POTUS at the same time. I can guarantee they are saying that now gays and trans are going to be lynched in the street and the new SC make up will allow Trump to eat little illegal immigrants roasted over a spit right in front of their crying parents.

I can't wait to get home from work tonight. Should I watch CNN or MSNBC? Does HuffPo have a channel?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21150 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post