SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kennedy retiring
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 21
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kennedy retiring Login/Join 
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Powers77:
Tuned into CNN to watch some of their meltdown.
Good news guys, Jeffrey Toobin just told us that we are going to get bazookas out of this new appointment. #NBA will now stand for the National Bazooka Association.

Ha!

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
It is too dificult to try to cut and paste, but have a look at the liberal hysteria collected in this article at Federalist.

http://thefederalist.com/2018/...terical-predictions/

NSFW, btw.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
Clearing out a spot in my safe and joining the NBA (national bazooka association), immediately.

Getting my nephew one too Wink

Sorry. Posting pics doesn't seem to work like it used to. I had a nice pic of a 10 year old aiming a ww2 bazooka.

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36898 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another interesting article from The Federalist

Trump may be the best vote I have cast.

quote:
Was Gorsuch Worth A Trump Presidency? It’s Starting To Look That Way

A presidency is more than one man, and so far, the Constitution is winning.

David Harsanyi
It’s odd, isn’t it, that so many of the folks who warn us about the authoritarianism of the GOP also happen to support an array of policies that coerce Americans to do things they don’t want to?

Take, for example, the four reliably liberal Supreme Court justices, all of whom believe it’s constitutional to compel Americans to pay dues to political organizations they disagree with, and to coerce Americans to say things they don’t believe, and to compel them to make things that undermine their principles.

Don’t get me wrong: Trump’s attacks on the press can be harmful and gratuitous (though, of course, not every tweet critical of CNN is an attack on the foundations of the First Amendment). Yet they are far less consequential than allowing SCOTUS to forever codify attacks on free expression. For some, the prospects of a progressive court have long competed with their distaste for Trump. The question for them was, “What’s scarier, a Trump presidency or a progressive Supreme Court?”

I imagine the answer is becoming a bit clearer for many of those Republicans. Of course, you can thank Mitch McConnell for giving Trump the Neil Gorsuch seat and perhaps saving the Constitution (for now.) The much-disparaged Senate leader withstood immense political pressure and preposterous attacks when stopping President Obama from stacking the court.

The result is that in three cases this term — the rulings that stopped the Colorado’s Civil Rights Commission from destroying Jack Phillips’ business over a thought crime, California’s attempt to force people to support abortion, and public-sector unions from continuing their long-standing policy of forcing workers to fund their political activities — the court has handed the Constitution clear wins.

I mean, has there been a bigger victory for small-government, real-life conservatives over the past few decades than the Janus v. AFSCME ruling? The decision not only fortifies the First Amendment by explicitly finding compelled speech unconstitutional, but also calls out the Left’s authoritarian political machinery, which has been holding many American communities, school systems, and workers hostage for decades.

“It is hard to estimate how many billions of dollars have been taken from nonmembers and transferred to public-sector unions in violation of the First Amendment,” Justice Samuel Alito wrote in the majority. “Those unconstitutional exactions cannot be allowed to continue indefinitely.”

The Janus ruling also stipulates that employees must now affirmatively opt-in — rather than having to opt out — of unions before having to pay fees. The court understood that dollars are fungible, and every one of them should be considered a matter of speech.

In an environment where Americans are increasingly drifting apart ideologically, culturally, and politically on virtually every major issue, gridlock has become the de facto state of affairs in DC, and the court becomes even more important. Whatever Trump’s personal predilections or beliefs might be, the First Amendment has been strengthened under this presidency. Certainly, it would not have been the case had Hillary won. We know this by taking a peek at a counterhistory by reading the dissent.

“The First Amendment,” writes Justice Elena Kagan, “was meant for better things. It was meant not to undermine but to protect democratic governance — including over the role of public-sector unions.” The idea that the court should decide who deserves First Amendment protections, or that those protections should be contingent on the vagaries of “democratic governance,” whatever that means, is as corrupt as any of the dumb things Trump has ever said about free expression. The Supreme Court is built to withstand the whims of democracy, not to surrender to them. (Kagan gives away her political game when she worries that “Public employee unions will lose a secure source of financial support.”)

Justice Sonia Sotomayor, in her dissent, accused the majority of weaponizing the First Amendment — an unconscionable position for a person tasked with “faithfully and impartially” discharging the duty to protect the inherent rights of all Americans. The dissenters have perverted the intent of the Founders. It’s none of Sotomayor’s business how we use free expression. It’s her business to protect it.

Of course, it’s still early in the Trump era, and we really have no idea how the residual political effects of our acute partisan battles or investigations or ugly rhetoric or the often-incompetent presidency will manifest in the long term. Perhaps Trump’s unpopularity will make it harder for originalists to find their way to the Supreme Court in the future. Perhaps not. But it’s also true that in no time in modern American history has a president’s disposition and rhetoric conflicted more dramatically with the outcomes of his administration. So far that’s been a net win for the Constitution.

With another justice coming, it might even get better.

David Harsanyi is a Senior Editor at The Federalist. He is the author of the forthcoming book, First Freedom: A Ride Through America's Enduring History with the Gun, From the Revolution to Today. Follow him on Twitter.

link

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I don't get the left's fascination with Roe v. Wade. If it were overturned tomorrow, it would not make abortion illegal at all. Some states would be able to add restrictions, but it would take years, and that's after the years it would take for some challenge to Roe v. Wade to even make it to the SCOTUS. And then anyone in the restricted states could just hop over to the next state with loose abortion laws. I really don't see what the big deal is. Never mind the fact that the people who are most fanatical about it would be totally unaffected by it, even if it were banned at the national level, which it never will be.

Posts: 3692 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
With respect to Senator Cruz, if the President decides to pick one of the brothers Lee, I would prefer it to be Thomas. It's not that Senator Lee would not do a good job, I do not want to see who would be appointed in his place.

There are likely a bunch of people higher up on the list in any case.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Bazooka? How quaint. I'll take an AT4 or a Carl Gustav M3 if we're passin' out the rocket launchers.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109164 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
"WINNING"

Posts: 4448 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ Judge Jeanine for SCOTUS? I like her, but, please. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 27613 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
I know but this makes them very very sad!

Posts: 4448 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
... make sure those 10 Democrat Senators from Trump states get to make well informed, intelligent decisions about their future.

I like it.

Posts: 8911 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fla. Jim:
I know but this makes them very very sad!

Posts: 109164 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4364 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Well, McConnell did tell Reid they would regret going nuclear way back when didn't he?
Big Grin

For all the resistance and obstructionist BS the liberals have been trying to continually poke President Trump and the Republicans in the eye with, Trump will now get the opportunity to return the favor 100 fold with a swift kick in the crotch via another SCOTUS appointment.

This has been a landmark week for conservatives, Constitutionalists, and America as a whole for all the reasons multiple threads cover, but I have yet to be remotely tired of winning. The only way this could get any better would be if RBG in a fit of despair of being effectively relegated to the dissenting side for the rest of her days, follows Kennedy out the door in the very near future.

Let the good times roll! Cool

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4416 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Chuck S called on Senate to follow Biden Rule and do as they did with Merrick Garland so that the voters through the Senate get to have their voices heard.

That's a bullshit argument. We had gone through eight years of BHO's presidency. We were electing new president at the very end of two term lame duck President and 1/3 of Senate. This year's election occurs less than half way through Trump's first term. The voters did already speak very recently, less than two years ago and they clearly said that they want Trump in the White House and trust him to pick justices.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21148 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Chuck S called on Senate to follow Biden Rule and do as they did with Merrick Garland so that the voters through the Senate get to have their voices heard.

That's a bullshit argument. We had gone through eight years of BHO's presidency. We were electing new president at the very end of two term lame duck President and 1/3 of Senate. This year's election occurs less than half way through Trump's first term. The voters did already speak very recently, less than two years ago and they clearly said that they want Trump in the White House and trust him to pick justices.

The Biden Rule dealt with Presidential Elections.

To extend it to within a year of any federal election would mean no confirmations half the time. Preposterous!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://thefederalist.com/2018/...terical-predictions/

That was great. When RBG kicks the bucket, it is going to be 6-3 and the super phony liberals will be ready to hang themselves. That coming day will be sweet.

-c1steve

Posts: 4121 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:

I can't even relate to someone who thinks this way. The only thing I can think of is that his parents failed to prepare him emotionally for the real world. He has no idea how to cope and just goes to extremes with any trigger. No well-adjusted, rational person person could make a direct logical leap from the retirement of a SCOTUS justice to fascist death camps. You have to pity a guy who is so emotionally weak that this is his worldview...after you mock him, of course (that reply tweet is brilliantly played).

Posts: 6084 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'll use the Red Key
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3819 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post