SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kennedy retiring
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kennedy retiring Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
A lawyer's FB group I belong to is about evenly split on this, but it sure is fun to see the leftists going nuts. And they are - there are Chicken Littles and doomsayers decrying the end of civilization.

I can almost sympathize. Almost. Because if things were reversed right now, I'd probably be thinking about jumping overboard and diving underwater directly into my ship's screws.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30952 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12932 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
I didn't see Jeanine Pirro on that potential list. I know. I know! Still I wonder if she might not really have the chops to be a pretty damn good Justice.

At least I know I'm not alone thinking this:
http://nymag.com/daily/intelli...r-supreme-court.html
Conservative Lebanese descent female, heads would explode!

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6372 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Moocheele must be slapping the heck out of the Krimson Kenyan, he had 8 years of waiting and in a little over a year Trump gets 2...

Obama has done plenty of damage with the two Constitutional enemies that he did appoint.

That's my point, he didn't get the one he needed in 8 years to tip the court...

Thank goodness,

Posts: 24339 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Justice Kennedy had the class and respect to go to the White House and meet with the President to give him this letter.

quote:
My dear Mr. President,

This letter is a respectful and formal notification of my decision, effective July 31 of this year, to end my regular active status as an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, while continuing to serve in a senior status, as provided in 28 U.S.C 371 (b).

For a member of the legal profession it is the highest of honors to serve on this Court. Please permit me by this letter to express my profound gratitude for having had the privilege to seek in each case how best to know, interpret, and defend the Constitution and the laws that must always conform to its mandates and promises.

Respectfully and sincerely,

Anthony Kennedy

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
The left "Has" already lost it's mind over this!

+++LINK+++
Liberal activists and journalists are melting down over Justice Anthony Kennedy announcing his retirement from the Supreme Court on Wednesday.

Kennedy, who has served as the court’s swing vote for decades, has now opened the door for President Donald Trump to finally give conservatives their long-desired court majority. (RELATED: Kennedy Calls It Quits: Longtime Swing Justice Hands Trump The Biggest Gift Of His Presidency)

Progressives immediately reacted to Kennedy’s retirement with fear, anger, and sadness.
It's worth the look to read their tweets at the link. Cool

Posts: 4448 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

Amul Thapar of Kentucky, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit

We should be so lucky as to have him nominated. I've known him personally since he was a U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of KY. He is a brilliant jurist and is young enough to sit on the bench for another 40 years.

He is only the 2nd Indian-American to sit on a federal appeals court. The Dems in the Senate would have a PR nightmare holding up such an appointment. Unfortunately, he was only confirmed to the Sixth Circuit about a year ago.

Posts: 1650 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fla. Jim:
The left "Has" already lost it's mind over this!

+++LINK+++
Liberal activists and journalists are melting down over Justice Anthony Kennedy announcing his retirement from the Supreme Court on Wednesday.
Well, gosh, I guess he can't retire, then.

Posts: 109158 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...continuing to serve in a senior status, as provided in 28 U.S.C 371 (b)...

JALLEN, could you explain what "senior status" means?

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9379 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This was one of my problems with never trumpers. In 2 years he will have gotten to pick 2 new judges and hopefully RBG’s replacement soon. Gorsuch is only 50 And hopefully the new judge is younger as well. Realistically we could change the direction of the court for DECADES. In 30 years we will be saying our prayers thanking the Lord for DJT’s Supreme Court picks. Just think of the nightmare of a stacked court full of dedicated commies if the 2016 election result had been reversed. Oh my.

Posts: 4972 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
I didn't see Jeanine Pirro on that potential list. I know. I know! Still I wonder if she might not really have the chops to be a pretty damn good Justice.

At least I know I'm not alone thinking this:
http://nymag.com/daily/intelli...r-supreme-court.html
Conservative Lebanese descent female, heads would explode!

There is an argument (and I have made it) that we need some justices who are not from the Ivy League/SCOTUS clerk/Justice Department/big law/DC Circuit path to the Supreme Court. But I don't see anything in Pirro's background that indicates she is the right choice. She has a politician's resume more than a judge's.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53249 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I am excited like the rest of you guys, but never underestimate a Republican president's likelihood of picking faux conservative. It has happened plenty of times before.

Posts: 3691 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nighthawk:
Gotta watch MSNBC tonight to watch their heads explode, RBG is already a shovel ready project, just no one has told her yet.

Paraphrasing a rancher friend of mine (talking about the fragility of sheep): She’s already dead, just looking for a place to lay down.

Posts: 13598 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
A lot will depend on which of these potential nominees is willing to withstand what is almost certainly going to be a savage no-holds-barred relentless attack on their record, character, haircut, shoe shine, the way their tie is tied and the color thereof.

Mike Lee is on the list, and would be entitled to what used to be known as “Senatorial courtesy” like Hillary Clinton and John Kerry were afforded in their confirmation process. That is so last administratin, though.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Elaine Atwell

@ElaineAtwell
we may have just left the point at which we could rely on democratic norms to fix our government, and are now on the road to literal revolution! #kennedy
2:09 PM - Jun 27, 2018

Say when sweetheart! Big Grin

Posts: 13843 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
quote:

He gets to come in and eat in the cafeteria and shoot hoops at the highest court in the land.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senior_status

He won't take part in the decisions made by the Supremes. He may serve, on a part time basis, on lower courts by appointment to certain matters, but I don't really recall any Supremes doing that. Maybe it is because many don't leave the court until they are of truly advanced age.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53249 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

...He won't take part in the decisions made by the Supremes. He may serve, on a part time basis, on lower courts by appointment to certain matters, but I don't really recall any Supremes doing that...

From the Wikipedia article, it looks like the best benefit is that he keeps getting his full salary, doesn't have to settle for 70%. Wink

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9379 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can we count on McCain, Collins, and Flake to do the right thing?

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
quote:

He gets to come in and eat in the cafeteria and shoot hoops at the highest court in the land.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senior_status

He won't take part in the decisions made by the Supremes. He may serve, on a part time basis, on lower courts by appointment to certain matters, but I don't really recall any Supremes doing that. Maybe it is because many don't leave the court until they are of truly advanced age.

Justice Sandra Day O’Conner did that, at least for awhile.

quote:
As a Retired Supreme Court Justice (roughly equivalent to senior status for judges of lower federal courts), O'Connor continued to receive a full salary,[citation needed] maintained a staffed office with at least one law clerk, and heard cases on a part-time basis in federal district courts and courts of appeals as a visiting judge.[106] By 2008, O'Connor had sat for cases with the 2nd, 8th, and 9th Circuits.[107] O'Connor heard an Arizona voting rights case which the Supreme Court later reviewed.[106] In Arizona v. Inter Tribal Council of Arizona, a 7-2 majority affirmed O'Connor and the rest of 9th Circuit panel, and struck down a provision of Arizona's voting registration law.[108] O'Connor hired a law clerk for the October 2015 term, but did not hire a law clerk for the subsequent term.[109][110]

It may be that once a Supreme, always a Supreme.

Judge Alex Kozinski resigned from the 9th Circuit in the wake of allegations of sexual improprieties, no senior status, to ward off investigations, I infer.

Senior status sounds like a good deal.. you get an office, clerk, secretary, probably other government good deals, work when you want, take assignments to case load as you like, after so many years, you get full pay, health care either way.

posted Hide Post
I say a large group of us should book a celebration at The Red Hen. I am willing to drive a couple hundred miles for a glass of ice water or coffee.Of course we could stay the entire evening and take up much space.

Anyone in?

Posts: 13118 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post