SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kennedy retiring
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 21
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kennedy retiring Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matai:
What do you all think of Mike Lee?

He seems like he digs the Constitution.

Mark Levin seems to favor Mike Lee for the pick. I agree he's great. I love Mike Lee...which is why I want to keep him as my Senator. Wink

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30952 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah not gonna give up a sitting Senator for SCOTUS pick.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

Why? What are you worried about?

Utah is "safe". Lee's appointed temporary replacement will be a relatively conservative Republican, as will his elected replacement.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Oh my, you all can’t understand how much I love this. Liberals exploding.

My wife told me she described me to one of her friends as “‘Merica and Second Amendment”.

I was pleased.

Winning is awesome.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11464 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:
quote:

Utah is "safe". Lee's appointed temporary replacement will be a relatively conservative Republican, as will his elected replacement.

The establishment in Utah never meant for us to have Mike Lee as our senator. They don't want him, believe me. He snuck by them somehow. I'm afraid who they would "allow" us to vote for next time. After all, we just got Romney, remember? No way. I'm keeping him. Sorry, I know, I'm selfish.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30952 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
quote:

The establishment in Utah never meant for us to have Mike Lee as our senator. They don't want him, believe me. He snuck by them somehow. I'm afraid who they would "allow" us to vote for next time. After all, we just got Romney, remember? No way. I'm keeping him. Sorry, I know, I'm selfish.

What Balze said. Plus I wouldn’t trust our dipshit Gov to pick anyone other than a RINO/Romney/establishment, swamp dwelling douche type replacement.

Posts: 1625 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
So maybe Cruz would be a better candidate for the big bench. There's not much to worry about in terms of someone good being sent to take his place in the Senate. The real question is whether his pissed-off colleagues in the Senate would relish the chance to screw him out of a Supreme Court seat more than they'd enjoy seeing him retire from politics.

Posts: 27303 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
The left hasn't been this angry since yesterday!

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34419 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Nominate your second choice now. Save your first choice in the event of "Sleepy" Ginsberg's seat becomes available.

Posts: 7642 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OcCurt:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
quote:

What Balze said. Plus I wouldn’t trust our dipshit Gov to pick anyone other than a RINO/Romney/establishment, swamp dwelling douche type replacement.
Bird in hand is better than two in the bush.

I get that this Senator is apparently a true conservative - however, he’s never been a judge so I really don’t see the attraction.

And we already did the ‘take this Senator and make him XYZ, we’re SURE to get a R replacement’ with Session in AL.

That’s worked out smashingly....

bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Mike Lee might be the best pick on the planet. Hell, Mike Lee might be the best pick on this side of the Milky Way, but he's not going to get it.

Think of who's living at 1600, and how he's probably seen this a few times.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9183 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Oh, yeah, gosh, he'd be an excellent choice, with judgement that poor. Yeah. Clear thinker. Visionary. No emotion-based decisions.

GMAFB Roll Eyes

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109164 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
I think Trump just enjoys dangling these positions in front of the Never-Trumpers, then appointing someone else. Remember how he toyed with Romney with the Sec of State position. He was NEVER going to appoint Romney. He's NOT going to appoint Mike Lee and I support that.

WINNING!

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

He's an 81 year old SCOTUS judge. I highly doubt he gives a flying fuck what Leftists, whom he usually disagreed with, think of his decision to retire and spend his last 10-20 years on Earth doing as he pleases.

Any federal judge doesn't give much of a flying fuck about what people think, in that sense. They are appointed for life and have a lot of power in their spheres.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53249 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
I think Trump just enjoys dangling these positions in front of the Never-Trumpers, then appointing someone else. Remember how he toyed with Romney with the Sec of State position. He was NEVER going to appoint Romney. He's NOT going to appoint Mike Lee and I support that.

WINNING!

I doubt Trump is doing the dangling. Every pundit and influencer alive has their word processors on stun coming up with ideas, angles, promoting this one, rummaging this other one, speculating, predicting..... the pundit universe is exploding with nonsense.

Lee is qualified, certainly, and would be able to do a creditable job of it, but it isn’t likely to be him. Not with so many other very attractive possibilities. That Senate vote is far too precious right now.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
with judgement that poor.

I don't get the admiration for Mike Lee.

Not only did he refuse to get behind the Republican nominee, he also praised Elizabeth Warren during the election (does anyone remember?). In this respect, he is no different than Mia Love or Mitt Romney. Opposing Trump as President is pure stupidity.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17195 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mike Lee

Just another swamp dweller.

We don't need that shit on SCOTUS.

I'm all for the best candidate, but throwing a female up would be a curveball to the Leftist hacks.

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
I don't know what to say about this idea.

Leftists upset that President Donald Trump will get to shape the Supreme Court in a conservative direction are increasingly embracing a radical plan to expand the number of seats on the court once Democrats retake Congress and the White House.

Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy’s retirement gives Trump the chance to nominate a second conservative to the court before he’s halfway through his first term in office.

Liberal justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Stephen Breyer are 85 and 79-years-old, respectively, so it’s not unforeseeable that Trump could get to fill two more seats before he leaves the White House, potentially guaranteeing a conservative majority on the court for decades to come.

Now some liberals argue Democrats should simply expand the number of court seats — and then immediately fill the new ones with left-wing jurists — as soon as they take back control of Congress and the White House.

The Constitution doesn’t require a set number of seats on the court and leaves that power to Congress, which hasn’t altered the size of the Supreme Court since last setting it at nine in 1869.

“Democrats have no choice but to implement structural reforms to the judiciary if they hope to prevent decades of rule by the alt-right in America,” HuffPost reporter Zach Carter claimed in a Thursday article.

“At a minimum, that will mean expanding the Supreme Court bench to 11 justices under the next Democratic president. Other reforms, including term limits to remove aging conservatives, may well be appropriate.”

http://dailycaller.com/2018/06...-pack-supreme-court/

The Judiciary (nationwide) has been the most reliable element of Leftist power in our country. All the Presidential power in the world, and solid legislation can be undone by a single jackass in a black robe. I imagine Kennedy’s retirement has unleashed the vision of a balanced judiciary and a real erosion of Leftist power. Frightening for them.

Posts: 13598 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:

The Judiciary (nationwide) has been the most reliable element of Leftist power in our country. All the Presidential power in the world, and solid legislation can be undone by a single jackass in a black robe. I imagine Kennedy’s retirement has unleashed the vision of a balanced judiciary and a real erosion of Leftist power. Frightening for them.

No way is the judiciary our biggest risk from the left. A lefty President with a majority in Congress is. The Supremes didn't give us Obamacare or the New Deal or the Great Society.

And of course, the real source of the problem are the "free shit" voters who elect them.

I don't underestimate the power of the courts, but they aren't the source of the problem.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53249 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
My pick is Judge Amy Coney Barrett, she's fairly young - 45?, very conservative and would give us about 35-40 years.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4364 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post