SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What did you make for dinner?
Page 1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 ... 118
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What did you make for dinner? Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Now THAT looks quite tasty Mike. Might have to give that a shot although I'd have to either find very mild green chilis or skip them entirely as I don't tolerate chili spice very well. Roll Eyes

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Now THAT looks quite tasty Mike. Might have to give that a shot although I'd have to either find very mild green chilis or skip them entirely as I don't tolerate chili spice very well. Roll Eyes

It wasn’t spicy; however, I can tolerate very spicy food. My wife can’t anymore so I now make things mild. I used mild enchilada sauce and mild tomatoes and chili. HERE is the recipe.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:

It wasn’t spicy; however, I can tolerate very spicy food. My wife can’t anymore so I now make things mild. I used mild enchilada sauce and mild tomatoes and chili. HERE is the recipe.

Got it. Thanks!

Here for the weekend meals we've got teriyaki-pineapple marinated pork tenderloin, Southern fried cabbage, and Spaghetti aglio e olio dishes planned. Nothing real fancy. Just good eats. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Following up on the previous post above, here are the pork tenderloin and fried cabbage dishes getting prepped for an early dinner today. Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
That cabbage looks amazing. Any chance of getting a recipe?

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hickory smoked pork(Boston Butt) with mashed spuds and pork gravy, baked spinach casserole, and finished with some Southern Blackberry cobbler ice cream. Maybe even a "combat nap" in my recliner after supper.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:

Jim,
It is quite simple. For mine I used 5 very thick slices of bacon, one whole sweet onion, and a small head of cabbage in a cast iron skillet. I waited until the cabbage was about half cooked before adding the crumbled crisp bacon back in though.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Jim,
It is quite simple. For mine I used 5 very thick slices of bacon, one whole sweet onion, and a small head of cabbage in a cast iron skillet. I waited until the cabbage was about half cooked before adding the crumbled crisp bacon back in though.

Thanks, we'll give it go.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Jim,
Also some folks like adding smoked sausage or other protein they like to augment the bacon in the fried cabbage.
--Bob

USN (RET), COTEP #192

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Tonight I’m making crock pot pot roast.
2 1/2 pound of roast
Three potatos cut into chunks
Half an onion
Baby carrots (but my picky eaters won’t eat them-so none today)
Little (1/2 tsp) minced garlic
One jar of pace picante sauce (mild- picky eaters here also hate spices)

All of it goes into the crock pot in the order given, and set on low all day

Sometimes I cut the meat into chunks if the meat is more then 3 lbs -so it’ll fit.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Following up on the previous post above, here are the pork tenderloin and fried cabbage dishes getting prepped for an early dinner today. Big Grin

Looks fantastic! I really love fried/sautéed cabbage side dishes. I have a recipe for one I really like and the leftovers of it go great as a side with scrambled eggs and toast for breakfast. I will give this one a try!

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Tonight I’m making crock pot pot roast.
2 1/2 pound of roast
Three potatos cut into chunks
Half an onion
Baby carrots (but my picky eaters won’t eat them-so none today)
Little (1/2 tsp) minced garlic
One jar of pace picante sauce (mild- picky eaters here also hate spices)

All of it goes into the crock pot in the order given, and set on low all day

Sometimes I cut the meat into chunks if the meat is more then 3 lbs -so it’ll fit.

I have done crock pot recipes, but never seen some type of bag liner used. Please educate me on the purpose. Thanks!

Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Crockpot stays clean, toss bag when done.

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:

I have done crock pot recipes, but never seen some type of bag liner used. Please educate me on the purpose. Thanks!
You can find them at Walmart or your grocery store, same aisle as wax paper, Saran Wrap, etc.

Amazon has them too.

Cleaning the crockpot is a quick wipe with a damp cloth.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Just cut a ton of New York strips… Sharpened the knives and went to work this morning.

Next up, a dozen brisket blended burgers on the grill along with some homemade potato salad.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Jim,

I will have to give this a try, as I love all of the ingredients.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Pot-o'-red beans on the stove. Cornbread shortly.

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
Just cut a ton of New York strips....

Next up, a dozen brisket blended burgers on the grill along with some homemade potato salad.

Oh my! Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
Big pot of yummy chicken and sausage gumbo, made at minimal cost. Sister grabbed two reduced rotisserie chickens for $1.99 each and two big packages of jalapeno cheese smoked sausage for .99 each. Boned the chickens and simmered carcasses to rich stock a couple of days ago. Froze part of the stock, most of the sausage and a boned chicken. Made a bunch of roux, sauteed with holy trinity (onion, pepper, celery) and garlic, added six cups of stock, a boned chicken, big link of cut-up sausage and package of cut frozen okra with some Tony Chacheres. Cost next to nothing and lots left to freeze, aside from all the leftover chicken, stock and sausage already frozen.

Posts: 391 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
Crockpot stays clean, toss bag when done.

Never even knew about them…lol! Learn something new everyday; especially in this forum. Smile