SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What did you make for dinner?
Page 1 ... 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ... 119
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What did you make for dinner? Login/Join 
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
It was a grilled cheese and chicken soup night tonight

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5751 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
Crawfish Etouffee and Crawfish Monica.

Posts: 3201 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
"Crabs and Dishwater."

It's a recipe from Mom's collection, and is explained like this:

Several decades ago, my brother and I were running around the house like young boys do, getting on Mom's last nerve. And then came hungry-time.

"Mom? What's for dinner? Hey, what's for dinner, Mom? We're hungry. Mom? Mom?!" and so forth.

Finally, out of sheer frustration (and probably all the while containing a desire to swat our skinny butts) Mom shouted, "crabs and dishwater!"

As the story goes, my brother and I pattered away quietly, probably wondering "what in the world?" Mom's mission -- get 'em to hush up and settle down -- had been accomplished.

In hindsight, I figure it was simply a convenient dish that Mom was able to put together on the cheap. It's simple, too: brown your ground beef; add in some onion, green pepper, and garlic (all chopped) plus some Italian seasoning. Let that cook for a few while the macaroni (spirals are more fun!) boils. Drain the mac, toss it into the mix, and add a big can of diced (or otherwise cut) tomatoes and a small can of tomato sauce. Let all that simmer for about 15 minutes and then fetch a bowl and a fork. Yum.

C&D is one more reason for my brother and me to say, "Thanks, Mom!" Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13495 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fresh kielbasa browned and then thrown in the slow cooker with some homemade sauerkraut with homemade potato and onion perogi, the Mrs knocked it out of the park with this one, was tough watching college football with all the good smells coming out of the kitchen this afternoon, then she made a homemade apple crisp to top things off

Posts: 455 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Oh man I can taste those perogis. YUM!
That meal sounds fantastic!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Kung pao chicken. Pretty good.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bald1 it was really fantastic, we are fortunate and have a local market we are able to get fresh kielbasa anytime, and the perogi are one of my all time favorite comfort foods. You post some amazing meals also sir!!

Posts: 455 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oaklane:
Fresh kielbasa browned and then thrown in the slow cooker with some homemade sauerkraut with homemade potato and onion perogi, the Mrs knocked it out of the park with this one, was tough watching college football with all the good smells coming out of the kitchen this afternoon, then she made a homemade apple crisp to top things off

Sounds like Christmas Eve dinner a few months early. Nothing like good Polish food.

I had stuffed cabbage last night, slathered in sour cream.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Man you guys are on a roll. I LOVE golumpki too!

Way back in 1966 I was in Utica NY during a massive 3 day blizzard that shut everything down. Drifts were horrendous. So bad that snow had piled up to the second story of the house I was in. Across the street was a neighborhood bar run by a gal and her daughters. We got up the courage to tunnel our way over and were treated to beer, golumpki and perogis. They were Polish. Smile Made a lasting impression on me! Big Grin

Here are some articles about that storm which dumped over 100" in some areas:
https://search.brave.com/searc...+york&source=desktop

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
And speaking of comfort food, Spaghetti Aglio e Olio is planned for later today. Cool
For those looking for the recipe / how to, here ya go. Really quite simple.
https://www.bingingwithbabish..../2017/5/4/aglioeolio
https://www.jocooks.com/recipes/aglio-e-olio/

Oh and Oaklane, thank you for the nod. Smile

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Thai Basil Chicken:

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
And speaking of comfort food, Spaghetti Aglio e Olio is planned for later today. Cool

One of my favorites. I do a Chef John version with fresh grated Parm (I get the imported 48 month aged stuff and dang if it ain't good!). I also add some seasoned sauteed shrimp for a full meal.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

One of my favorites. I do a Chef John version with fresh grated Parm (I get the imported 48 month aged stuff and dang if it ain't good!). I also add some seasoned sauteed shrimp for a full meal.

Huge Thumbs up! Big Grin

The Food Wishes Chef John version:
https://foodwishes.blogspot.co...o-e-olio-recipe.html

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I like Aglio e Olio as well; we make it often here in addition to quick marina. Pasta is a frequent dish here.

I've tried various recipes (although all are very similar given the simplicity of the dish) and they all turn out well.

My preferred recipe is now: garlic, dried whole chili pepper (I crush it before using), salt/pepper, EVOO. Same as usual. But I've come to prefer angel hair / capellini; for me it gives a better sauce to pasta ratio given how light the sauce is. And I use a bit of sugar in the sauce to enhance the garlic a bit. And I don't put lemon or cheese. I like the garlic to shine through on center stage.

It'd be cool to get together someday and make all the same dishes w/ our little twists. I'd really enjoy that. And also try some of the fancy stuff beancooker makes.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quail Marsala over Penn Dutch noodles

Posts: 641 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pace40:
Quail Marsala over Penn Dutch noodles

Dayum that looks amazingly tasty!

USN (RET), COTEP #192

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Today's menu feature at Casa V-Tail was pan-seared salmon in a home-made bourbon / maple / honey / garlic marinade, with sides of broccoli and rice.

The only pictures I have are the empty plates after it was eaten.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Shrimp scampi rolls.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Oh wow. I’ll take two.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Saturday in our house has been homemade pizza night for a long time. Everything is scratch, my wife is making the sauce now. I don’t get tired of it, she’s good at it.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post