SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What did you make for dinner?
Page 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 ... 119
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What did you make for dinner? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
I checked. That Berkshire stuff is only available here via mail order.

I remember an earlier thread of yours where Bull-Dog sauce was mentioned. I had flirted with getting some but for whatever reason (probably because I have a boatload of Asian sauces here already) I never did.

So short grain sticky Japanese rice is your "go to"?

I've found the Berkshire / Kurobuta (which means black pig in japanese) tends to be more tender and flavorful than other pork at the market. But just as important to me, it doesn't have the off putting smell typical of pork. I'm not averse to 'normal' pork but I prefer the Berkshire / Kurobuta if available.

I prefer the Kagome branded version of the cutlet sauce but Bull Dog is good too. Bull Dog was available, the Kagome was not. I like both but will buy the Kagome one if both are available. If you don't like worchestershire sauce, don't buy the Kagome/Bulldog sauces. Btw, I use the sauce on the finely julienned (thread like) cabbage as well (sparingly) as a dressing. Common in Japan.

For everyday rice, given my general affinity for Japanese cuisine (after my favorite Italian), I use Japanese short grain rice (of varying degrees of polish). But I also use other rices like arborio (risotto) and jasmine (good with chinese and thai food). I will buy CA grown koshihikari if rice from japan is not available. Rice from Korea is indifferent - I can eat it but won't necessarily buy it in particular. I won't buy rice grown in China. I do buy domestic wild rice - love that in the fall/winter seasons with chicken broth and almond slivers. But otherwise don't usually buy long grain rice.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Sous vided Chuck roast for ~26hrs then seared on grill with a little pear wood for flavor.

Jesse have you ever treated that cut like a brisket?

Skins: that looks delicious! I really want to try sous vide.

Jeff/Skins: I love chuck - it's one of my favorite cuts. A key in my mind is getting the collagen to melt - getting the chuck to hit 180F for a sufficient period of time. Would sous vide be a good way to achieve that?

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Chuck eye: poor man's ribeye. I practically live on it. Looks delicious. Yep 26 hrs at 134 sound about right.

Posts: 3508 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I know! I know! I just posted a picture of my avocado toast-poached eggs a few days ago.
BUT I wanted to show a better shot reflecting the perfectly set white-runny yoke poached eggs.
And of course the obligatory side of crisp thick cut applewood smoked bacon. Big Grin This from today's brunch. Wink

Same drill: garlic clove rubbed toasted brioche bread, chopped and lightly mashed avocado mixed with scallion, tomato, salt and pepper with a heavy amount of fresh lemon juice, topped with Everything Bagel seasoning.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
That looks very tasty!

Those poached eggs look perfect! I love poached eggs (like for benedicts) but I don't make them very well. I've been making tater tots with ground sausage, bell peppers (the sweeter red and yellow ones, not the green ones), sweet onions and then putting over easy eggs on top. It's been a great weekend breakfast for me (I don't know why, I love tots, more than hash browns and corned beef hash). I would love to have your poached eggs on top instead. They really look fantastic. Perfect bacon too - look just the way I like it. I'd love to come over for brunch someday Smile

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I love poached eggs (like for benedicts) but I don't make them very well.

I'll beat the drum again for Poach Pods. Been using them since 2010 which resolved my previous hit and miss poaching efforts.
I run the inside of the silicon pods with a cold stick of butter before use. Plop them into a pot of boiling water and add the eggs. Leave uncovered for one minute, reduce heat to simmer and cover for another 5 minutes. Perfect. Wink

CAVEAT: Now I'm right at 4000' elevation so the times will need to be dialed in for your particular location. But once done you'll be turning out great poached eggs all the time!

quote:
I'd love to come over for brunch someday Smile

You'd be warmly welcomed by this old man. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
$5.88/lb for that ground American Wagyu doesn't seem unreasonable.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
I have got to give it a try, as I LOVE a good hamburger!!

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Why can’t we all live in a gated SigForum community and have dinner at a different member’s house each night?!

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Speaking of pork I just turned most of a 10lb Cheshire pork belly into bacon. Two pounds of it was made into burnt ends. I’ve had Berkshire several times and it doesn’t compare to Cheshire. The fat on a Cheshire is absolute silk and melts in your mouth. The bacon turned out extraordinary.

I purchased some Duroc pork butts locally for pulled pork and got a very high yield from it and it too was delicious. I have a half pig coming this fall from a local farmer so I’m excited to try that as well.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, I would like to try some cheshire pork. I'll look for it around here.

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Jesse,
What's a good alternative to sous vide for that chuck cut to get a similar result?

quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
Why can’t we all live in a gated SigForum community and have dinner at a different member’s house each night?!

That'd be a hoot especially if this gated community also had shooting ranges. Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jesse,
What's a good alternative to sous vide for that chuck cut to get a similar result?

quote:

That'd be a hoot especially if this gated community also had shooting ranges. Big Grin

We should buy an island... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8865 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll beat the drum again for Poach Pods. Been using them since 2010 which resolved my previous hit and miss poaching efforts.

You'd be warmly welcomed by this old man. Big Grin

Someday, I hope to take you up on that offer Smile

I've got the Pods in my cart. However, I'm going to explore a coddle method using ramekins - maybe it'll work. Seems like a method suggested online.

The Pods sound nice but trying to determine if they are made in prc or not. Would like to buy something made in USA, Europe or Japan if possible. But the results you're getting seem fantastic.

I use the ramekins for creme brulee - maybe they will be good for coddled eggs.

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Pods sound nice but trying to determine if they are made in prc or not.

Made in PRC per a 2018 post from FusionBrands in response to an inquiry. Really hard to get away from China with stuff like this sadly.

Update:

I was curious if this was true back in 2010 too. (Yes, I'm anal as I keep a drawer full of brochures, etc. from stuff I buy.). Yup "Made in China"

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
The Pods sound nice but trying to determine if they are made in prc or not.

Made in PRC per a 2018 post from FusionBrands in response to an inquiry. Really hard to get away from China with stuff like this sadly.

Update:

I was curious if this was true back in 2010 too. (Yes, I'm anal as I keep a drawer full of brochures, etc. from stuff I buy.). Yup "Made in China"

Just ordered a set of the pods and will see how I like them once they come.

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:

Don't get frustrated early. It may take a good number of attempts to find the timing sweet spot for your location, pan, and degree of boiling/simmering employed.
But once dialed in

Might consider my approach and see if that works for you. Tweak as necessary.
FWIW I use my smartphone clock to time things next to the stove. And I use a large screen ladle to remove the pods from a 2-1/2-Quart covered shallow saucepan. I drain any water off through one of the pod holes and then slide the egg onto the toast.

"I run the inside of the silicon pods with a cold stick of butter before use. Plop them into a pan of boiling water and add the eggs. Leave uncovered for one minute, reduce heat to simmer and cover for another 5 minutes."

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Don't get frustrated early. It may take a good number of attempts to find the timing sweet spot for your location, pan, and degree of boiling/simmering employed.
But once dialed in

Might consider my approach and see if that works for you. Tweak as necessary.
FWIW I use my smartphone clock to time things next to the stove. And I use a large screen ladle to remove the pods from a 2-1/2-Quart covered shallow saucepan. I drain any water off through one of the pod holes and then slide the egg onto the toast.

"I run the inside of the silicon pods with a cold stick of butter before use. Plop them into a pan of boiling water and add the eggs. Leave uncovered for one minute, reduce heat to simmer and cover for another 5 minutes."

My pods will be delivered tomorrow and I plan to try a cook on Sunday. I plan to make some adjustments so we will see how it goes. I will use toasted brioche bread, rub with mashed garlic, place a slice of provolone and toast again until melted, add mashed avocado, add poached egg, and top with all bagel seasoning. That is the plan. We will see if I stick to it and how it goes. I am going to try your cooking method.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jesse,

quote:

I'd be interested in trying Jeff's suggestion and treating it like a brisket. Sounds awesome.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post