SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What did you make for dinner?
Page 1 ... 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 ... 119
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What did you make for dinner? Login/Join 
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
To honor National Hot Dog day.

Posts: 12921 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
It’s not mine but I grabbed a picture off the web that depicts Japanese style cutlet based on the German schnitzel. I like the Japanese style much better than the Korean version.

https://i1.wp.com/gokodama.com...it=4032%2C3024&ssl=1

I love cole slaw and like tangy versions. But for cutlets, I’ve only used fresh cabbage. It’s the (Japanese) tradition I guess. I’m not Japanese but I love Japanese food when I’m not eating Italian.

I buy premium, rather pricey rice from Japan. It’s one of my daily indulgences. I prefer it over Korean or Chinese rice. And much better than CA rice. With very few exceptions, it’s not typical to put anything on rice in Japan. I try to keep to that. That being said, I’ve been known to add butter and soy sauce to rice when I’m alone. Smile. But only using domestic rice.

Vinegar is added to rice when used for sushi though.

I usually use canola oil for deep frying (cutlets, fried chicken, tempura, etc). But the better restaurants in Japan will use sesame oil. It’s expensive to do but it’s a nice treat occasionally.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I miss White Castle by the box. Loved them growing up in New York. I’ve never seen them outside of NY. Memories. Now I wish I had some.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

I buy premium, rather pricey rice from Japan. It’s one of my daily indulgences.

Koshihikari?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16222 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Yes, that’s a very popular cultivar and easy to get here. It’s available almost ubiquitously across Japan but taste and texture does still vary by region. But there are a number of boutique cultivars from Toyama, Niigata, Akita and other famous rice growing prefectures. Harder to buy here, especially consistently. But nice when available. Similar to how many apple varieties we have here and an apple isn’t just an apple, rice isn’t just rice in Japan. There is something for everyone’s preference. There is one from Toyama that I tried that is amazingly sweet that you would think someone added sugar to it. It doesn’t pair well with sushi but is great for tempura.

They developed a rice that was made to be eaten cold like in bento lunch boxes. Usually rice tastes better when fresh and hot so rice in lunch boxes was not really too palatable. This rice was developed to taste good even when cold.

Rice and sake can be complex.

Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Homemade Tostadas! Benefit No. 1 of having a Hispanic wife!

And that Cheese isn’t legal here, small time smuggled from Honduras, real queso, and I got about 40 lbs of it in the fridge lol!

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Looks amazing!

Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Little fun knowledge,

What I posted is called an enchilada in Honduras.
Tostada, which Is the name of what I posted in Mexican cuisine, is a piece of toasted bread in Honduras.
A typical enchilada in Mexican cuisine does not exist in Honduras.

DO NOT get em confused!!!

None of the Honduran tortilla snacks have lettuce, only cabbage on some. None of which would have cheddar cheese either.

Damn the food is so simple, usually 10 ingredients in a meal including spices, but so dang good.

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:

that Cheese isn’t legal here
What type cheese?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30674 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

that Cheese isn’t legal here
What type cheese?

It’s real queso, not pasteurized, so we can bring it over, I think customs says 10 or 20 lbs per family, but I got bricks in my fridge that would make Pablo Escobar jealous!

It has a great flavor, salty, rich from the fresh milk, and a tanginess you won’t get from cheese here.

My wife’s family owns a dairy farm in Honduras, small operation, maybe 125 cattle. But they make a living an honest way which is not always common in their neck of the woods.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Now I have all kinds of questions. Like:

1. are tacos, burritos, tostadas, enchiladas spanish food? mexican food? central america food?
2. do the words mean anything in spanish? or just a word?
3. who had tacos, tostadas, etc first? Mexico? Honduras? Other?
4. Why would mexico call something tostada and honduras call it enchilada?
5. what about other central american countries - is everyone different or are most of them consistent and only honduras uses different names?
6. why doesn't a mexican enchilada exist in honduras?
7. and something that i've been wondering about for years: is a tostada just a flat taco? If i fold a tostada, am i now eating a taco? or just a folded tostada? how does one eat a tostada (pick up with hands? fork and knife?).

I rarely eat mexican food. but it is pretty tasty when i do. i think i usually get a chicken mole if available. otherwise, something like chile verde or something. unless it's lunch time, then i'll try a taco or burrito.

Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:

1. are tacos, burritos, tostadas, enchiladas spanish food? mexican food? central america food?
5. what about other central american countries - is everyone different or are most of them consistent and only honduras uses different names?
7. and something that i've been wondering about for years: is a tostada just a flat taco? If i fold a tostada, am i now eating a taco? or just a folded tostada? how does one eat a tostada (pick up with hands? fork and knife?).

I rarely eat mexican food. but it is pretty tasty when i do. i think i usually get a chicken mole if available. otherwise, something like chile verde or something. unless it's lunch time, then i'll try a taco or burrito.

1. “Spanish” by definition means one able to speak the Spanish language, or relating to Spain or it’s people, the food we’re talking about is Hispanic. Or more specific, Latin cuisine. “Tacos” as Americans see them are 100% Mexican, doesn’t mean “Taco” in Honduras is the same “Taco”.
2. Yes, every Spanish speaker knows what this words mean, but it’s like saying, “we don’t have kimchi in America”, we know what the word means but we don’t have an equivalent here. Or more apples to apples, I know what cream of wheat is, but in the south it’s referred to as, “shit nobody would eat”, or “northern shitty grits” lol.
3. How the fuck would I know lmao Smile
It’s the argument of, who had a sandwich first, it’s crazy as more than likely 2 or more places realized they could put meat between bread before word of such spread. Who made the tortilla first? No idea, but once that was established how advanced would one need to be to put meat and veggies on top, in it, around. More than likely it was a collective effort around the same times.
4. Why would Some folks call it a crawfish, some a crawdad, others a mud bug. Remember, before defined borders it was no different than regions of the US speaking differently. I could get into the etymology of enchilada particularly, which mean “season with chili”, but you can see how easily that could be applied to any dish.
I Korea there is a dish that translates to, “chicken shit bags”, typically served with sesame oil, salt, pepper, onions. We know it here as gizzards, typically fried, both are correct, but horrible different wordings.
Curry means one thing in the US, in India it has a much more broad meaning. Different places take names and run with them.
5. They are similar by locale, Honduras, Nicaragua, Guatemala have similar wording but overall I can’t answer that definitively as i don’t have that many wives.
6. Why doesn’t a Korean Silk worm soup exist in America? That question could be asked of any non-universal food.
7. That question jumps back into what folks are calling things where they are from. “Is a hot dog a sandwich”?

I think most question go back to our limited knowledge of Hispanic culture, something I’ve only come to realize is much more diverse than most Americans understanding of it recently, once I married a Honduran.

Kona ya, you and I have talked before about folks acceptance and understanding of Asian culture, I think this is no different, folks eat Chinese Buffet but it doesn’t mean they know shit about East Asian culture or cuisine.

Eat at your local Mexican restaurant and you know 2% about Latin American cuisine.

I know you’re more open than most so I’m not insulting you by any means, I’m just learning a whole different culture from Southern American and Korean. I want to point out that the differences you notice between Japanese and American aren’t TOO much off from some of the more slight differences within Latin American cuisine, regardless of geographical proximity.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Ottosig: sorry, i didn't mean any offense and i hope you took none. your post above just made me more curious since i don't know much about mexican food which sounds like it's more properly referenced as hispanic or latin food. which sadly is a nuance lost on me - one of my many ignorances related to geo-societal-cultural failings.

Learning more about the food may trigger more interest - maybe I'd seek it out more than I do currently. I don't know much about it so going to a latin cuisine restaurant doesn't really come to mind much unless it's suggested when I'm with others.

The food does look very appetizing though. You're lucky to have the intimate exposure to it.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Bald1: pics of my cutlets tonight. Before plating. With the karashi (Japanese style mustard) and tonkatsu sauce (cutlet sauce which is basically a spin off Worcestershire sauce). While they tasted fine, I'll admit that yours definitely look better and I could learn a thing from you.

Also, a pic of the rice I'm using these days. It's actually not one of my preferences but it was one of the few Japanese rice available at the market when I bought it. The ones I usually prefer were sold out. Slim pickings over the past couple of years.

Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Konata, no offense at all I promise, just wanted to be semi-educational while also pointing out I have, or had, no idea about the seemingly indiscernible differences that will set off a Hispanic person.

I tried to be funny with my responses, but the more I edited them to provide actual facts they just started to come off dickheadish.

It’s pretty fascinating to learn about though.

Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

1. “Spanish” by definition means one able to speak the Spanish language, or relating to Spain or it’s people, the food we’re talking about is Hispanic. Or more specific, Latin cuisine. “Tacos” as Americans see them are 100% Mexican, doesn’t mean “Taco” in Honduras is the same “Taco”.
2. Yes, every Spanish speaker knows what this words mean, but it’s like saying, “we don’t have kimchi in America”, we know what the word means but we don’t have an equivalent here. Or more apples to apples, I know what cream of wheat is, but in the south it’s referred to as, “shit nobody would eat”, or “northern shitty grits” lol.
3. How the fuck would I know lmao Smile
It’s the argument of, who had a sandwich first, it’s crazy as more than likely 2 or more places realized they could put meat between bread before word of such spread. Who made the tortilla first? No idea, but once that was established how advanced would one need to be to put meat and veggies on top, in it, around. More than likely it was a collective effort around the same times.
4. Why would Some folks call it a crawfish, some a crawdad, others a mud bug. Remember, before defined borders it was no different than regions of the US speaking differently. I could get into the etymology of enchilada particularly, which mean “season with chili”, but you can see how easily that could be applied to any dish.
I Korea there is a dish that translates to, “chicken shit bags”, typically served with sesame oil, salt, pepper, onions. We know it here as gizzards, typically fried, both are correct, but horrible different wordings.
Curry means one thing in the US, in India it has a much more broad meaning. Different places take names and run with them.
5. They are similar by locale, Honduras, Nicaragua, Guatemala have similar wording but overall I can’t answer that definitively as i don’t have that many wives.
6. Why doesn’t a Korean Silk worm soup exist in America? That question could be asked of any non-universal food.
7. That question jumps back into what folks are calling things where they are from. “Is a hot dog a sandwich”?

I think most question go back to our limited knowledge of Hispanic culture, something I’ve only come to realize is much more diverse than most Americans understanding of it recently, once I married a Honduran.

Kona ya, you and I have talked before about folks acceptance and understanding of Asian culture, I think this is no different, folks eat Chinese Buffet but it doesn’t mean they know shit about East Asian culture or cuisine.

Eat at your local Mexican restaurant and you know 2% about Latin American cuisine.

I know you’re more open than most so I’m not insulting you by any means, I’m just learning a whole different culture from Southern American and Korean. I want to point out that the differences you notice between Japanese and American aren’t TOO much off from some of the more slight differences within Latin American cuisine, regardless of geographical proximity.

2. Damn you Otto. I just spit beer in my iPad. “Northern Shitty Grits” absolutely cracked me up.

4.5 - I just asked Mia how to say chicken gizzard. Yes, it exactly translates to “chicken shit bag”.

6. Because silkworm pupas are disgusting and pop when you bite them. That’s why normal people don’t eat larva.

7. A hotdog is a multicultural ménage. It’s an Americanized-German Tacowich.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

are tacos, burritos, tostadas, enchiladas spanish food?
Definitely NOT Spanish (as in "Spain"). I lived there for a year and a half and never saw anything like that stuff, which I think of as Mexican or Tex-Mex.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30674 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bald1: pics of my cutlets tonight. Before plating. With the karashi (Japanese style mustard) and tonkatsu sauce (cutlet sauce which is basically a spin off Worcestershire sauce).

That looks tasty!
I checked. That Berkshire stuff is only available here via mail order.

I remember an earlier thread of yours where Bull-Dog sauce was mentioned. I had flirted with getting some but for whatever reason (probably because I have a boatload of Asian sauces here already) I never did.

So short grain sticky Japanese rice is your "go to"?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16222 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by OttoSig:
Homemade Tostadas! Benefit No. 1 of having a Hispanic wife!

I got about 40 lbs of it in the fridge lol!

40 pounds?? I love cheese, but how long does it last before it goes bad?

Posts: 955 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Made $12 Chuck roast, turned in steak. Sous vided Chuck roast for ~26hrs then seared on grill with a little pear wood for flavor. Found recipe years ago and always wanted to try it. Lived up to claims, tastes like a steak with really good beef flavor. Really surprised it came out so well.

Made homemade peasant bread, green beans, and mashed potatoes for sides.

Jesse have you ever treated that cut like a brisket?