SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What did you make for dinner?
Page 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 ... 119
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What did you make for dinner? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Sorry, no pics.

I just gorged on some ripe black mission figs, halved and topped with one my very favorite cheeses - brillat savarin (a cheese that melts before it gets to your mouth).

Dinner will be butter poached halibut filet with hirame kawa senbei (seasoned crispy halibut skin cracker) on the side. Pic if I remember.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Had to look that one up: brillat savarin. A triple cream that looks like Brie. Interesting. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I found it by chance several years ago. It’s very soft. I wouldn’t serve it on a cheese plate for guests. It can be messy like glue. For me, it’s a cheese to eat, with figs, salami, prosciutto and/or croissant, quietly in the corner by yourself. There are many triple cremes, bries and camemberts I enjoy with friends and family. This ain’t one of them. Smile

Most cheese, we just share. This cheese I have to buy two each time - his and hers.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Baked chilean sea bass with beurre blanc sauce, rice, and some greens with a shallot vinaigrette.

While good...I thought it would be better. Costco had a bunch of the bass for sale the other day so I picked up enough to try a few other recipes.

Posts: 20101 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Last night it was some Lemon pepper tagliatelle with a butter blue cheese sauce, roasted pine nuts, smoked bacon, etc. Side of Black garlic and orange cod.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Today it was smoked ribs and pasta salad.

The ribs were rubbed down with a pretty great spice rub I make. It was the traditional 3-2-1 method, but I do a 2-2-1.
Pasta salad was farfalle with some sour cream, Parmesan, capers, English peas, bell pepper, basil, oregano, espelette, fennel pollen, and Argumato lemon oil.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
Last night it was some Lemon pepper tagliatelle with a butter blue cheese sauce, roasted pine nuts, smoked bacon, etc.

That pasta sounds delicious. Just my taste. If I’m ever in your neighborhood, I’d like a nice helping of that. And maybe some water mul kimchee on the side to cut the cream.

I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
No pics, but homemade buttermilk biscuits along with sausage gravy and some scrambled eggs. Whole family loves breakfast for dinner.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Last night it was some Lemon pepper tagliatelle with a butter blue cheese sauce, roasted pine nuts, smoked bacon, etc. Side of Black garlic and orange cod.

quote:
Today it was smoked ribs and pasta salad.

The ribs were rubbed down with a pretty great spice rub I make. It was the traditional 3-2-1 method, but I do a 2-2-1.
Pasta salad was farfalle with some sour cream, Parmesan, capers, English peas, bell pepper, basil, oregano, espelette, fennel pollen, and Argumato lemon oil.

Damn Noah! When are you gonna start catering or open a small restaurant?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

Damn Noah! When are you gonna start catering or open a small restaurant?

I actually get asked this a lot. I think I would do well. Then I go and visit my friend Stewart and work with him in his kitchen for one night. I go back to the warehouse with a smile on my face.

Cooking for friends and family on the weekends is a ton of fun. It’s very relaxing for me. When I step on the line in a restaurant some of the fun is gone (most all the fun would be gone if I wasn’t cooking with my best friend), and there is a level of stress. Getting all the parts of the meal ready at once, for multiple plates, etc.

I would prefer to keep my hobby as my hobby. Turn my hobby into work, and then it’s just that, work.

Bob, if you’re ever in the central AZ area let me know if you prefer pork or beef. I’ll get the knives sharp, and the grill hot.

quote:
The “lol” thread

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Makes perfect sense Noah!

And as for the invite, very generous and much appreciated. Last time I was in your neck of the woods was 2007. Sadly with my maladies I don't travel well at all anymore. So I'm pretty much a home body these days.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Had to look that one up: brillat savarin. A triple cream that looks like Brie. Interesting. Smile

Me too, I thought it was a typo at first, learn something new every day!

Posts: 3852 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Went to Costco the other day and bought a huge hunk of rib roast for a couple benjamins and cut it into steaks.

Figured I'd have one for dinner tonight, but I was out of Montreal and didn't feel like making up another batch and I was out of Heinz 57 and didn't feel like making it homemade (I know, don't hate me for liking Heinz 57 on my steaks). So, what's a fella to do?

I went (mostly) caveman. Fired up the egg, and seasoned with nothing but Diamond Crystal salt (if you don't use it, you should) and pepper. Two minutes, flip, two minutes, flip, add two Tbs butter, shut down and wait two minutes to smoke.

No condiments, just dead cow, salt, pepper, and butter. Yep...it was great. Perfect medium rare with juices running. Who knew that just salt and pepper were enough?

Posts: 20101 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

Who knew that just salt and pepper were enough?
I knew

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30672 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
1/2 a London broil Wink

Posts: 3521 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by Gustofer
"While good...I thought it would be better. Costco had a bunch of the bass for sale the other day so I picked up enough to try a few other recipes."

Try it pan fried and served with a lemon-caper-wine sauce. Big Grin

Tonight was breaded pork cutlet with gravy, baby potatoes, and sautéed zucchini and yellow squash with onion, garlic, diced tomato, and fresh parsley.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Yum! That looks good. Funny, I'm making breaded cutlets (tonkatsu) tomorrow. I've started to brine (sugar, salt and some Worcestershire sauce) the cutlets now because I won't have time tomorrow. Cutlets are one of my favorite dishes, with some mustard (Japanese style) and tonkatsu sauce. And finely julienned, crisp, cold cabbage. And fresh rice.

Do you use loin or fillet cuts? I used to use the 'white' meat cuts (fillet) but now I prefer the fattier loin (red?) meat cuts. Also, been using the Berkshire kurobuta black pig pork.

You can tell - I love my pork cutlets Smile Yours looks perfectly done. Very nice color.

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

Do you use loin or fillet cuts? I used to use the 'white' meat cuts (fillet) but now I prefer the fattier loin (red?) meat cuts. Also, been using the Berkshire kurobuta black pig pork.

You can tell - I love my pork cutlets Smile Yours looks perfectly done. Very nice color.

Thanks. Mine were loin cuts. That Berkshire sounds interesting as does the dish combination you enjoy. Pictures tomorrow? Wink

Do you ever julienne carrots to add to the cabbage and use some rice vinegar based very light and sparse dressing?

I often enjoy rice vinegar on my rice. Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
The craving hit hard... White Castle, 3 double cheese, order of onion rings and a Big Red soda pop

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
The craving hit hard... White Castle, 3 double cheese, order of onion rings and a Big Red soda pop

So Harold, where's Kumar? Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192