SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What did you make for dinner?
Page 1 ... 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 ... 119
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What did you make for dinner? Login/Join 
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
How 'bout breakfast instead:

Gotta love this new KETO diet, a small sliver of a 40 day dry aged ribeye (5 oz only) I just finished aging and a couple eggs.

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Damn that dry aged steak with sunny side up eggs looks good!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16222 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Made me a tasty beef rib roast.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No pics, but I made my first home-corned beef starting a week ago and cooked it tonight. Turned out very well, simmered, then wrapped in foil and finished in the oven while boiler potatoes, carrots, spring onions and cabbage wedges cooked in the broth. Served with homemade big soft rye buns.

Commercial corned beefs have dropped so much in quality that I don’t like them any more. What is that slime they replaced the brine with in the packaging? Yuck!

Posts: 401 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Chicken and mushrooms in cream sauce, asparagus on the side.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Burgers medium rare with caramelized onions:

Posts: 13115 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
While at the grocery I got a craving for Refried Beans and so I bought a can.

It sucked.

I googled refried beans recipes on the internet, but does anyone have a simple and easy recipe for tasty, and healthy, Refried Beans?

Thank yall very much.

Posts: 11846 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
While at the grocery I got a craving for Refried Beans and so I bought a can.

It sucked.

I googled refried beans recipes on the internet, but does anyone have a simple and easy recipe for tasty, and healthy, Refried Beans?

Thank yall very much.

Refried beans are pretty boring on their own. I add chopped onion, shredded cheddar cheese and a dash or two of hot sauce to transform them into a tasty side dish. Yum!

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Burgers medium rare with caramelized onions:

[IMG][/IMG]

I made sliders last night, medium kinda of guy for ground beef though.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Skins, I can do medium too but don’t like it beyond that. It’s also why I don’t order burgers at places where they’ll only do well done.

One of my favorites to make are turkey sliders with guacamole and bacon on sweet Hawaiian rolls.

Posts: 13115 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

I can do medium too but don’t like it beyond that. It’s also why I don’t order burgers at places where they’ll only do well done.
Don't go to "boutique" places like Burger-Fi or Five Guys. They sell dried out, over cooked, lumps of charcoal for exorbitant prices.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30674 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I made a batch of beans on Saturday and while not considered traditional refried… I’ll use them as a substitute any day. Super simple:

2 to 3 cups of beans soaked overnight (Pinto although I used Anasazi)

Half pound of thick bacon diced
Large yellow onion diced

Some Sofrito and diced jalapeño peppers

Quart of Chicken broth to the release the fond from the pan created by the cooking bacon and onions
Add in large chunks of carrots and celery

Salt and pepper to taste (bay leaf)

Blend/whir up 1/3 of the beans and pour it back into the pot to get a good consistency.

(If you want to get fancy I’ll sometimes add in black-eyed peas.)

I believe that traditional refried beans rely on lard. I just rely on all the bacon fat that gets rendered off.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Three Spam sandwiches (no pictures). Nine 1/8" slices browned in a cast iron skillet, placed 3 at a time on toasted wheat bread, with French's yellow mustard. I ate 2 with a Diet Coke and put one in a plastic bag into the refrigerator for later. I have enough slices left (from a normal can) for 2 more sanwiches, also in the fridge, wrapped in aluminum foil.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
I made a batch of beans on Saturday and while not considered traditional refried… I’ll use them as a substitute any day. Super simple:

2 to 3 cups of beans soaked overnight (Pinto although I used Anasazi)

Half pound of thick bacon diced
Large yellow onion diced

Some Sofrito and diced jalapeño peppers

Quart of Chicken broth to the release the fond from the pan created by the cooking bacon and onions
Add in large chunks of carrots and celery

Salt and pepper to taste (bay leaf)

Blend/whir up 1/3 of the beans and pour it back into the pot to get a good consistency.

(If you want to get fancy I’ll sometimes add in black-eyed peas.)

I believe that traditional refried beans rely on lard. I just rely on all the bacon fat that gets rendered off.

Really close to traditional; I’m going to give yours a shot!

I like this one too: https://www.mexicoenmicocina.c...e-frijoles-refritos/ Need some cilantro and lime too!

If you need good pintos, send me an email and I will hook you up.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
DEC_5367 by David Casteel, on Flickr

one 13-oz can of Hereford roast beef and gravy, one small can of cut green beans, heated in the microwave. Two slices of wheat bread, toasted. Cut one slice diagonally, arrange on platter, cover with hot roast beef and gravy, add green beans. Voila! Hot beef sandwich and vegetable. Need to be hungry--it's a lot of meat.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Pork Schnitzel with mushroom gravy

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Dude!

Looks scrummy Big Grin

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Stir fried cauliflower, zucchini, carrots, onion, peppers, and jalapeños, with lots of garlic, spiced with curry, cumin, and a bit of soy sauce, over brown rice.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
All this Schnitzel business has my stomach growling for some! Need to makes some Jaegerschnitzel!

https://www.daringgourmet.com/...with-mushroom-gravy/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16222 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I don't really cook bald1, but my wife does. I showed her that recipe, and she promised to make it soon. She said it sounds fantastic to her as well!

Posts: 13681 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post