SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What did you make for dinner?
Page 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ... 119
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What did you make for dinner? Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Whipping up some lentil soup for tonight using Mount Hope's Autumn Blend lentils (sold by member beancooker). Will serve with a fresh romaine lettuce salad and Aidell's Chicken, Pineapple & Bacon Sausages. Big Grin

lentils
onion
garlic
carrots
celery
bell peppers (yellow, orange & red)
diced petite tomatoes
thyme
beef stock

ETA: Couldn't wait... sampled some for a late lunch. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
The last 2 nights were meal kits from Sunbasket and both were fantastic.

Jamaican Rundown Soup with Halibut:

Shakshuka with chicken breasts:

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23259 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
I have got to get on the road to visit bald1 for two reasons ...

1) I would really like his "boat anchor" ham radio.

2) Most importantly ... the food that he prepares ! Dang, my mouth waters from his food posts.

Because we are in the process of my daughter's kidney transplant we are following a strict renal diet for all of us so she does not feel excluded.

Think it would be fair to let my hair down eating with bald1 ... heck, I will buy the groceries if he will do the cooking !

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:

2) Most importantly ... the food that he prepares ! Dang, my mouth waters from his food posts.

Because we are in the process of my daughter's kidney transplant we are following a strict renal diet for all of us so she does not feel excluded.

Think it would be fair to let my hair down eating with bald1 ... heck, I will buy the groceries if he will do the cooking !

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaa
You still planning on a trip to the Dakotas?

Prayers for success with your daughter's procedure.

ETA: Nothing fancy (soup, salad, sandwich) but plenty for you here old dino! Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
The last 2 nights were meal kits from Sunbasket and both were fantastic.

Jamaican Rundown Soup with Halibut:

Shakshuka with chicken breasts:

Never heard of Sunbasket, but overall how do you feel about the VALUE of meal kits? I have been curious about this as it seems easy to make and adds variety but didn’t know if it is more expensive. Both of those meals look really good.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Skins2881, I swear if I am ever in your neck of the woods I will be knocking on your door for dinner. You make a lot of great looking stuff. Everyone else does as well.

Tonight I am making oven baked chicken wings with celery sticks and potato salad. I have already posted pictures of this meal so I am not posting pics. I think these are way better than fried wings at a restaurant.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
Never heard of Sunbasket, but overall how do you feel about the VALUE of meal kits? I have been curious about this as it seems easy to make and adds variety but didn’t know if it is more expensive. Both of those meals look really good.
My neighbors are super healthy, fit people, but also love good food. They talked me into Sun Basket and it was one of the highlights of 2021. Compared to other plans it's pricier, but it's high quality and tasty despite being healthy. Both my AMEX and Visa routinely have 10% Sunbasket rebates which has been nice.

I'm on their paleo plan. I mainly get stir fries, but also enjoy their stews/soups. 90% of the time it's good or excellent, and it's helped me break out of my rut of cooking/eating the same thing. A few tips:
  • I don't get their steak. My local HEB has better quality for less money. However, my neighbors say their filet is excellent.
  • I don't get their pollock (quality doesn't match price and neither does quantity). Instead, upgrade to their barramundi, salmon, or halibut. I'm a total halibut and salmon snob after living in Alaska for 5-years and theirs passes muster.

If you want to try, this link gets $90 off first 4 orders (i.e. $22.50 each). To be transparent, I'd get a $40 discount too.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23259 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Banned for
    showing his ass
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by bald1:
    quote:
    Originally posted by old dino:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaa
    You still planning on a trip to the Dakotas?

Prayers for success with your daughter's procedure.

ETA: Nothing fancy but plenty for you here old dino! Big Grin

Yes sir ...

I also have an ex-partner I worked the street with who lives in Dickinson, North Dakota. Maybe you could email me your city.

Thank you for your prayers, she is having numerous other procedures too.

Would love to meet you ... as I will be doing with three other sig forum members within the month.

Smile

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Ammoholic
    Picture of Skins2881
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by StorminNormin:
    Skins2881, I swear if I am ever in your neck of the woods I will be knocking on your door for dinner. You make a lot of great looking stuff. Everyone else does as well.

Tonight I am making oven baked chicken wings with celery sticks and potato salad. I have already posted pictures of this meal so I am not posting pics. I think these are way better than fried wings at a restaurant.

I'd love the company, and would happily cook a feast. Haven't been cooking much recently due to work and some other stress factors. The only meal I actually cooked this week was burgers, and the fries were from the frozen section.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20823 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Goetta. I know you're saying, what the hell is Goetta. a German dish
    like sausage. Popular in the Cincinnati area. Slice it and fry it the same
    way you would sausage patties. I'll have it three or four times a year,
    can make a sandwich too. Anyone else ever have it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...0oats%20and%20spices.

Posts: 955 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of OttoSig
    posted Hide Post

Nothing fancy, plain simple lasagna but so good.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Staring back
    from the abyss
    Picture of Gustofer
    posted Hide Post
    Pork carnitas using Rick Bayless' sous vide method.

Did the sous vide for 8 hours at 185 and browned them up in some lard in a cast iron skillet out on the egg (much less messy).

Corn tortillas, a little sour cream, guac, and pico. They were really very good. It's some of the best meat I've ever eaten and I've got about two pounds of leftovers to enjoy.

Posts: 20100 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of lastmanstanding
    posted Hide Post
    Feeling my heritage today. Chicken Schnitzel in wine and cream mushroom sauce known in Germany as Hunters sauce. And warm German potato salad.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of bald1
    posted Hide Post
    Damn! Both the carnitas and schnitzel look fantastic. Haven't had either in far too long sadly.

lastmanstanding... you do sauerbraten too?

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of lastmanstanding
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by bald1:
    Damn! Both the carnitas and schnitzel look fantastic. Haven't had either in far too long sadly.

lastmanstanding... you do sauerbraten too?

I have but it's been awhile, it's a time investment I don't always have. The Schnitzel was fantastic.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    All from the grill- burgers, potatoes, and apple slices.

Posts: 3596 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Tonight will be some homemade chili that I made a month ago and froze into meal size portions. It was great when I made it, and feel sure it is still fine. I will add some beans to it this time.

Posts: 6619 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Political Cynic
    Picture of nhtagmember
    posted Hide Post
    Tonight sone tenderloin steaks, potato salad, coleslaw, ciabatta rolls and fresh strawberries.

I have a nice white wine from Leoness - I know the purists say it has to be red wine but I’m allergic to reds. So it’s a nice 2019 Melange D’Ete

Posts: 53183 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    A teetotaling
    beer aficionado
    Picture of NavyGuy
    posted Hide Post
    Steak, (T-Bones) sautéed mushrooms with Marcella wine, bake potato, spinach, roasted tomatoes, artisan bread. One big steak we shared which still resulted with left overs. Pretty damn good.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of bald1
    posted Hide Post
    Literally something I haven't made in probably 2 decades. It's my spin on the classic Spanish rice with hamburger.

Rice, ground beef, diced petite Roma tomatoes, onion, bell peppers (green, red, orange, yellow), garlic, peas, and Parmigiano Reggiano.

I didn't use any hot peppers (not a fan) in the mix. Those that like heat can always add a splash of their favorite sauce.

It's melding flavors on very low heat and will be plated and served later today.

USN (RET), COTEP #192