SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What did you make for dinner?
Page 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ... 119
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What did you make for dinner? Login/Join 
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Carryout Chinese.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
Carryout Chinese.

Um…so…uh…oh never mind. LOL! Big Grin

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I finally got around to making the spinach lasagna rolls with bechamel sauce shown by beancooker in this thread.

Mine didn't turn out anywhere near as pretty as beancooker's, but dang if they ain't "fucking magical"! I paired it with some homemade Pugliese garlic bread and now I'm happy.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
With a nasty cold front moving in tonight, some hearty soup was called for.

I was inspired by these two:
https://www.thereciperebel.com/cabbage-soup-recipe/
https://harvesttotable.com/mak...soup-kitchen-basics/

So it is a bit of "everything but the kitchen sink" soup. Big Grin It's simmering away and should be good to go for dinner.

2 Onions
3 large Carrots
4 stalks Celery
Celery seed
1 Garlic clove minced
1½ cup Autumn Harvest lentils (Mount Hope Wholesale - Noah aka Beancooker)
46 oz Chicken broth
can of diced tomatoes
2/3 head Cabbage
½ head fresh Broccoli
Roast turkey breast (4 oz leftover - diced)
1 ea Hot Italian sausage (grilled and diced)

... and yes, some elk, antelope, or venison would have been a great addition but alas my larder is empty of such. Frown

Dang! I REALLY like the looks of that and the ingredients so this is something I will certainly try! I think I will do it with chicken thighs as the only meat.

BTW: the picture of YOUR soup looks way better than the picture of either soup in both recipes!

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I finally got around to making the spinach lasagna rolls with bechamel sauce shown by beancooker in this thread.

Mine didn't turn out anywhere near as pretty as beancooker's, but dang if they ain't "fucking magical"! I paired it with some homemade Pugliese garlic bread and now I'm happy.

I just emailed Beancooker in hopes for the recipe to try this. It sounds great! If he sent it to you, would you email it to me?

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
I just emailed Beancooker in hopes for the recipe to try this. It sounds great! If he sent it to you, would you email it to me?

He didn't. I just found a recipe for the guts online and went from there.

I used this one.

I did add the butternut squash like beancooker. I'm not normally a big fan of them, but I'm glad I did as it was a fantastic addition. I can't get any pancetta here in podunk MT, so I just used bacon instead. It turned out great.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
Dang! I REALLY like the looks of that and the ingredients so this is something I will certainly try! I think I will do it with chicken thighs as the only meat.

BTW: the picture of YOUR soup looks way better than the picture of either soup in both recipes!

Thank you! I try to take decent snaps of the dishes I post about here on the forum. Big Grin

And yes as noted in the addendum I later added chicken thighs as well as more spicy sausage.
Also tried it served with a dollop of sour cream but preferred simply having a chunk of extra sharp cheddar as an extra on the side along with some French bread.

Still don't know if Noah aka Beancooker has any idea of when the Autumn Harvest lentils will be in stock.
If pressed I would mix some Black Beluga, Gold Petite, and Green lentils as an alternative. That said member old dino went with standard supermarket green lentils and was quite happy with the results. https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...935/m/9510075864/p/5

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I fired up the Weber grill and put some hickory chunks in it. Off set the coals and threw some pork country ribs in it. I had sprinkled the ribs with Adobo, Old Bay and brown sugar.

Made some creamed corn and broccoli rice with it. Mrs. Mike reports it was very good. I still can’t taste anything besides salt, sour and sweet because of covid…ugghhh

The Tomminator had a plain one with nothing cause he’s weird and doesn’t eat condiments or anything on his food…and it has to not touch…unless it’s butter on rolls. He’s coming around-he now likes shrimp scampi-I almost didn’t tell him it’s butter AND garlic.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Breakfast for dinner. Good ol' Shit on a Shingle topped with over medium eggs.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Early this afternoon I started a pot of home made chili. I am a bit of a "pepper belly", so I used the Hot Rotel tomatoes, Ranch Beans with Jalapenos, and hot Hatch Green Chilies, among other things. I will let it simmer for a few hours, and then have it for supper. It really isn't anywhere near cool/cold here yet, but I got hungry for some.

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A gumbo of chicken, andouille sausage, and collard greens, on rice, with mini-loaves of home baked rosemary bread, sweet tea to drink, and hummingbird cake for dessert. It was my daughter's birthday.

Posts: 33 | Location: Upper Connecticut River Valley | Registered: May 02, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
Split some Cornish game hens and cooked them on the grill, wife made sliced potatoes in butter.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Subgum fried rice. Love the flavor the sesame oil provides.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Another breakfast for dinner night. Grilled egg and cheese sandwiches with, wait what is this sorcery? Sausage Bacon? Since when was this a thing, and why was I never informed?

Has anyone else seen this? I'm a fan.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shrimp Scampi

"All warfare is based on deception" Sun Tzu, The art of War

Posts: 552 | Location: Gulf Coast of SW Florida | Registered: August 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Another breakfast for dinner night. Grilled egg and cheese sandwiches with, wait what is this sorcery? Sausage Bacon? Since when was this a thing, and why was I never informed?

Has anyone else seen this? I'm a fan.

Never heard of it but will give it a try if my store carries it. I am sure it is not exactly like bacon, but hey, I like bacon and I like sausage so I guess it has a good chance with me…lol.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
BLT’s with Boar’s Head Swiss cheese in fresh baked rolls. Roma tomatoes, Romaine lettuce, Best Foods Mayo. So good.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Swordfish steak

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
Made a nice big tray of (beef) Shepherds Pie.
The perfect choice for a cool fall evening.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3141 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I ran into Walmart this morning to grab a pound of 93/7 ground beef for tacos. For some reason theirs tastes better to me than the Food Lion stuff. Looking over the meat section I found some cheap beef riblets. I have never cooked any type of beef rib but since it was going to be a nice Saturday I decided to splurge the $8 bucks.

This is my second time using the slow ’n sear and I gotta say I love it. Easy to control the heat and the charcoal lasts a good while. I started out with about 1/2 chimney and some water. I ended up adding fuel around the 3.5-hour mark but I really didn’t need to. The temp dropped a bit because the ash was covering the bottom vent. Should have checked before I added more but oh well.

All total it took 4.5 hours to get to 195 degrees with an average temp of 235-245. After that I pulled and wrapped them and they rested while I did some seasoned fries in the oven (about 25 minutes).

All in all, a good way to spend a lazy Saturday and they tasted pretty good!

3.5 hour mark

4.5 hour mark and 195 degrees

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post