SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What did you make for dinner?
Page 1 ... 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 ... 127
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What did you make for dinner? Login/Join 
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
had a steak in the fridge, and broke down and just pan fried it

had the staples, black eyed peas, turnip greens and cornbread with it,

and held off on the bubbly till today, so sipping a nice glass of Pannier Champagne whilst I type this

Some of the best steaks I have made have been done on the stove with cast iron pans. Just need to know how.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8617 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I made up a batch of breakfast "empanadas" and had a few of the leftovers for dinner.

I made a batch of sausage gravy with Jimmy Dean sage, mixed that in with a dozen scrambled eggs and some diced up green onion. Then I put that into a pie crust empanada style. Got 'em in the freezer right now and once frozen they'll get vacuum sealed. Easy and good breakfasts...and dinner apparently.

Posts: 20563 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Pasta e fagioli, i.e. pastaFAZOOL

Delicious

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16632 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
St. Louis Ribs on the BGE right now. Should be done in 15 minutes.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23654 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Ribeye, bacon wrapped shrimp, and baked sweet potato.

I'm stuffed but will make room for a nice after dinner bourbon

Posts: 3815 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Daughter heading back to NAPS after break. Requested shrimp and grits as last meal

New Orleans style BBQ shrimp and truffle cheesy grits

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6294 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I would also like to request shrimp and grits please.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:

Requested shrimp and grits as last meal
Sounds ominous.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31383 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail
quote:

Sounds ominous.

It’s only ominous if you use “instant grits” Wink Wink Wink

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10592 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
quote:
quote:

Sounds ominous.
I said "ominous," not "hominy." Razz

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31383 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
Pasta e fagioli, i.e. pastaFAZOOL

Delicious

I discovered this a few years back and posted about it. I'd forgotten how good it is so I made up a batch today. Yep, still delicious. Thanks for the reminder. Wink

I make it with hot italian sausage for a little extra kick, and sprinkle with fresh parsley and fresh grated aged parm. Dang good meal for a chilly winter evening.

Posts: 20563 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
quote:
quote:

Sounds ominous.
I said "ominous," not "hominy." Razz

Hahaha. Good stuff!!!

old school heirloom grain grits. Took damn close to an hour to cook

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6294 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't be upset with it as a last meal if it tastes as good looks.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
With the continuing sub zero temperatures here, comfort food is a high priority. Got down to two choices. Debated between mujaddara (lentils and rice) and southern fried cabbage. Opted for the later with sausage and lots of bacon. Big Grin

And yes, as my son opined, the resulting gas will augment keeping the house warm. lolololololol

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16517 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Meatloaf and mashed potatoes. Was going to do some garlic/parm fried green beans as well but didn't have any thawed out. Oh well, two out of three ain't bad.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Today was "Marry Me Chicken"

1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoons dried thyme, divided
2 teaspoons dried oregano, divided
1 teaspoon sea salt, divided
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
2 or 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, butterflied (or just sliced in half lengthwise to reduce thickness)
2-3 Tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic minced
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more for added heat)
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
1/3 cup roasted red peppers chopped
2 cups fresh spinach
Plus any other veggies you want to add. I like to do about a quarter cup of sliced mushrooms, and sometimes some additional yellow or green bell peppers or sun-dried tomatoes.

1) Combine 1/3 cup flour, 1 teaspoon paprika, 1 teaspoon thyme, 1 teaspoon oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper in a shallow bowl or plate for dredging.

2) Dredge the chicken pieces through the mixture, coating them completely. Shake off any excess flour mixture.

3) Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.

4) Once the oil is hot, add the floured chicken breasts, and cook for ~3-4 minutes on each side, until lightly browned/seared but not fully cooked. Transfer the chicken to a plate, and set it aside.

5) Add a little more olive oil to the skillet if needed, and add the 3 minced garlic cloves plus the remaining spices: 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, 1 teaspoon oregano, 1 teaspoon thyme, and 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes. Allow these to toast for a minute or so, just until fragrant, stirring frequently.

6) Once fragrant, use the 1/2 cup chicken stock to deglaze the plan, then stir in the 1/2 cup heavy cream, 1 cup Parmesan cheese, 1/3 cup roasted red peppers, 2 cups fresh spinach, and whatever other additional veggies you're adding. Stir to combine.

7) Turn heat down to medium-low and allow the sauce to simmer for a few minutes until it starts to thicken. Then add the seared chicken breasts back to the skillet. Continue to simmer until the chicken is done (165 degrees internal), occasionally spooning sauce over the chicken as it cooks.

8) Taste the sauce, and add salt/pepper to taste, if needed. Serve and eat.

Posts: 33037 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Man, that looks amazing!

What? A couple hours of prep and cooking to make it?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16517 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
Damn, we need a like button.

Posts: 5905 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
What? A couple hours of prep and cooking to make it?

Nah, only takes about 20ish minutes total. It's one of my favorite quick and easy chicken breast recipes.

Couple minutes prep work measuring ingredients, slicing chicken, and dredging while the oil comes up to temp. Then about 8 minutes to sear the chicken. Then another few minutes for the sauce to start to come together. Finished up with about 5-10 more minutes to finish cooking the chicken in the sauce.

Posts: 33037 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is quite cool, over cast, and spitting rain on and off. Tonight will be hickory smoked baby back ribs with a good Bar-B-Que sauce, small potatoes done in the oven, and creamed spinach with Balsamic vinegar dressing. That should handle the weather, and the hunger.

Posts: 6711 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post