SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Along with coins this Christmas, Salvation Army wants white donors to offer a "sincere apology" for their racism
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 18
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Along with coins this Christmas, Salvation Army wants white donors to offer a "sincere apology" for their racism Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My message to the Salvation Army:

“In the midst of all the struggles our countries citizens are grappling with to try and preserve the almost totally torn tapestry of this nation, your recent publication, “Let’s Talk About Racism” (which I read) will serve no other end than to tear a few more threads.

I always stopped by the kettle this time of the year, and felt as though I’d be helping out by donating to or shopping at the local Salvation Army Thrift Store unfortunately, those times are over. The manner in which your publication frames the argument is a bit like the rancher who, in trying to get rid of the wolf, sets out a nice piece of steak with just the right amount of poison inside.

Few thinking individuals would argue that America is perfect, but only a completely indolent thinker would argue that we’ve not moved towards a more just society. Your publication is flavored with a tone of both condescension and arrogance that, in my view, have no place in the presentation of the gospel. It is shameful, and beneath the legacy of The Salvation Army.”

Posts: 1019 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Silent:
My message to the Salvation Army:

“In the midst of all the struggles our countries citizens are grappling with to try and preserve the almost totally torn tapestry of this nation, your recent publication, “Let’s Talk About Racism” (which I read) will serve no other end than to tear a few more threads.

I always stopped by the kettle this time of the year, and felt as though I’d be helping out by donating to or shopping at the local Salvation Army Thrift Store unfortunately, those times are over. The manner in which your publication frames the argument is a bit like the rancher who, in trying to get rid of the wolf, sets out a nice piece of steak with just the right amount of poison inside.

Few thinking individuals would argue that America is perfect, but only a completely indolent thinker would argue that we’ve not moved towards a more just society. Your publication is flavored with a tone of both condescension and arrogance that, in my view, have no place in the presentation of the gospel. It is shameful, and beneath the legacy of The Salvation Army.”

Excellent response!

Posts: 1767 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Thinking about it this morning. Does anyone really think even a sincere apology would yield any desirable result? I’m here to tell you it won’t. It will fall on deaf ears. At best it is a step toward further division and animosity. You stretch that hand out and it will be severed with prejudice.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29592 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
No COIN FOR YOU!

Come back.... 1 YEAR!

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37912 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it's time to knock over a few kettles.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
Sounds like it's time to knock over a few kettles.

What?!?! No! Absolutely not. We are not BLM ruffians. Destroying the property of others because of their beliefs is not who we are.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25989 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Thinking about it this morning. Does anyone really think even a sincere apology would yield any desirable result? I’m here to tell you it won’t. It will fall on deaf ears. At best it is a step toward further division and animosity. You stretch that hand out and it will be severed with prejudice.

I often find myself agreeing with you, and today is no exception. If the SA were to suddenly announce a policy reversal and back off the CRT I still wouldn't trust them to stay the course, and I wouldn't trust them to manage future donations to accomplish what they once did. I would need to see them dump all the leadership that supported this racist policy and I would need to see a track record of them executing on what they once did as proof that they truly saw the error of their ways.

Even if the public were to embrace their new CRT policy, it wouldn't be enough for them. It would only be a 'down payment' and they would demand further reparations and concessions, and after that box was checked they would simply move down the checklist to the next Woke policy agenda item.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
This is serious accusation for them to make not only of an entire race of people but to Christianity itself. It's hard to believe they thought this through, it is a catastrophic failure of their leadership - but that is nothing new these days. I don't think this ends well for them, this message will go over like a lead balloon. The irony here is the organization is quite literally in need of salvation.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
They can bite me.

Posts: 53072 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Need to drop some new old stock Gillette razor blades I have laying around into their money kettles.

Posts: 3490 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
Need to drop some new old stock Gillette razor blades I have laying around into their money kettles.

WTAF?!?!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25989 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would expect that kind of thing from someone on the left.

Posts: 107223 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Obviously, I'd never buy anything from Gillette again. But I had some of their stuff laying around when they went woke. I'd think those would be a bit of a message to the SA folks that they'll be taking in a lot less $$ now that they've done the same.

Posts: 3490 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
I would expect that kind of thing from someone on the left.

Yeah, no kidding. This and the knocking over kettles comment isn't us. Adults find better ways to show their disapproval.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Obviously, I'd never buy anything from Gillette again. But I had some of their stuff laying around when they went woke. I'd think those would be a bit of a message to the SA folks that they'll be taking in a lot less $$ now that they've done the same.
Stop screwing around. You shouldn't be posting things about razor blades and you know it.

Posts: 107223 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't seem to find the call for an apology on the Salvation Army website. Anyone got a link?

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
What is a good charity to donate to? My list is growing very short.

If donating to a local food bank or Shelter consider the following : ) (copied)

1. Everyone donates Kraft Mac and Cheese in the box. They can rarely use it because it needs milk and butter which is hard to get from regular food banks.
2. Boxed milk is a treasure, as kids need it for cereal which they also get a lot of.
3. Everyone donates pasta sauce and spaghetti noodles.
4. They cannot eat all the awesome canned veggies and soup unless you put a can opener in too or buy pop tops.
5. Oil is a luxury but needed for Rice a-Roni which they also get a lot of.
6. Spices or salt and pepper would be a real Christmas gift.
7. Tea bags and coffee make them feel like you care.
8. Sugar and flour are treats.
9. They fawn over fresh produce donated by farmers and grocery stores.
10. Seeds are cool in Spring and Summer because growing can be easy for some.
11. They rarely get fresh meat.
12. Tuna and crackers make a good lunch.
13. Hamburger Helper goes nowhere without ground beef.
14. They get lots of peanut butter and jelly but usually not sandwich bread.
15. Butter or margarine is nice too.
16. Eggs are a real commodity.
17. Cake mix and frosting makes it possible to make a child’s birthday cake.
18. Dishwashing detergent is very expensive and is always appreciated.
19. Feminine hygiene products are a luxury and women will cry over that.
20. Everyone loves Stove Top Stuffing.

If it won't matter in 5 years don't give it more than 5 minutes.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Bye Bye Maryland! Hello WV! | Registered: May 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Stop screwing around. You shouldn't be posting things about razor blades and you know it.

I wasn't suggesting unpackaged and would never think of wanting to hurt anyone. Just the sight of the name Gillette on the unopened box should be a mini wakeup call. That was the only Gillette product I ever had laying around anyway. No more though.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
I can't seem to find the call for an apology on the Salvation Army website. Anyone got a link?

Posted on p.1.
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
...if this is actually systemic throughout the organization...

Read this and doubt no more. Let's Talk About RACISM

Go to p.26 of their "resource", where they call for repentance and apology.

Q

Posts: 26186 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw that, but don't find it on their web site, nor is the link provided to a Salvation Army source. Got one that goes to the Salvation Army, and not an outside source, claiming it's salvation army?

Let's Talk About Racism is a treatise on racism that does call for apology for racist behavior or language or attitudes, but I'm looking for a link to a Salvation Army source that calls for whites to apologize for being racist. The original article states that Let's Talk About Racism is directed at whites, or that it calls for whites to apologize for racism. I read it. Can't find this reference.

The paper does call for an apology for racism, which is applicable, regardless of who might be racist. I find no reference to donors, white, or otherwise.

Link to the original paper from a salvation army site?

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post