SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Along with coins this Christmas, Salvation Army wants white donors to offer a "sincere apology" for their racism
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 18
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Along with coins this Christmas, Salvation Army wants white donors to offer a "sincere apology" for their racism Login/Join 
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
However I will suggest that anyone reading this thread spend some time on the Salvation Army web site. There you will find that this particular story has been made up specifically to stir up sentiments against the Salvation Army

Try again:

https://www.salvationarmy.org/isjc

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
For those interested, here's SA's response, posted today.

https://www.salvationarmyusa.o...the-topic-of-racism/

The Salvation Army's Response to False Claims on the Topic of Racism
Nov 25, 2021

As the country celebrates Thanksgiving today, it is a welcome reminder of the things we are grateful for—and for the power of service on behalf of those who are less fortunate.

The Salvation Army mission statement clearly outlines our service: to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination. That service, and our beliefs, are based solely on the Bible and that has not, and will not, change.

Though we remain committed to serving everyone in need—regardless of their beliefs, their backgrounds, or their lifestyle—recently some individuals and groups have attempted to mislabel our organization to serve their own agenda(s). They have made outrageous claims that we believe our donors should apologize for their own racism, that The Salvation Army believes America is an inherently racist society, and that our organization has abandoned its beliefs for one ideology or another. In fact, an online petition is asking supporters to “stand against the insertion of politically charged racial ideologies into The Salvation Army’s good work.”

Those claims are false, and they distort the very goal of our work...

If that is the case then why is the brilliant (and she is) legal scholar Angela Onwuachi-Willig - A Critical Race Theorist along with Ibram Kendi used as sources for this publication?

Silent

Posts: 1026 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
Reading the 'Resources' appendix gives the game away; 1619 project, Keneshi Coates and on and on all presuming to tell me, and I'll just worry about me for the moment, about systemic racism and how every insult, misfortune, failure to thrive or stubbed toe is from that source.

There is a lot of presumption in that piece that just won't stand up under serious reading. My take is that when you begin with an assumption, such as systemic racism, as a fact and then base 20 pages or even a movement or a life of butt-hurt on that assumption it just might look like reality to you.

I think it's unlikely that I will be supporting this movement with seasonal donations.

Posts: 6393 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wanted to research ShaqLs post a little further, so I clicked on a page entitled "Social Justice Concerns of Salvation Army Members". Turns out its a survey. And the first section wants to know your gender. The choices are:
Male
Female
Other (fill in the blank)
Three choices? What would the third option be? End of survey for me!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice apology. Roll Eyes

Thanks for verifying what we all know now.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
No one is being told how to think.

Pure sophistry. Roll Eyes

When someone in a position of authority makes what is presented as a statement of fact to a subordinate or other person who may be influenced by the weight of authority, it’s intended to tell that other person how and what to think. That’s especially true if the statement is obviously intended to affect that person’s beliefs, attitudes, or practices.

One of innumerable examples I ran across recently was that during WWII General G.S. Patton reportedly prohibited the practice of tankers’ putting sandbags or other improvised armor on their tanks in an attempt to increase their protection from enemy fire. When he said that it “wasn’t necessary,” what was he doing? Telling them what to think about the effectiveness of the standard armor of their vehicles. If someone is told that all members of a certain group are racist, what’s the reason? To convince them that every member of that group is racist, and therefore what to think about their and others’ supposed racism.

Members of hierarchical organizations are told what to think all the time. Thinking is the first step toward doing and following direction is what any subordinate is expected to do.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Once again, the mental illness of the left is on full display. From their own website, they make their position crystal clear, and then when they get the inevitable blowback, pretend they never said what is still in clear, easy to read print. They don’t even bother to take it down. Unbelievable.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15579 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I would also note that nowhere in their response does the Salvation Army actually disavow or disclaim the document that clearly contradicts everything they claim in said response.

Nice try, Salvation Army, but we ain't that stupid.

Speaking of their document: Hahaha!

You should read some of the definitions in their Let's Talk About Racism document.

Black Exceptionalism: the current system of
control depends on Black exceptionalism; it is
not disapproved or undermined by it.

So people like Colin Powell, Condoleezza Rice, and Barack Obama all aided racism by being exceptional? (Objections noted.)

Equality: equality aims to ensure that everyone
gets the same thing in order to enjoy full, healthy
lives.

Wow. That's not even remotely close to the definition of equality as guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution.

Racism: a prejudice against someone based on
race, when those prejudices are reinforced by
systems of power. The prejudiced treatment,
stereotyping or discrimination of People Of Color
on the basis of race.

There it is: One can only be racist if they are not people of colour. By "people of colour" they of course mean some shade of brown or black based on some degree of African heritage. E.g.: Dark-skinned Latinos or those of Mediterranean heritage need not apply. It goes without saying American Indians and those of Asian heritage need not, either.

In summary: If you're black, you can't be racist. If you're not black, you can. (And, from the rest of the document, assuredly are--particularly if you're white.)

I love this one Smile

Fascism: a political idea that uses totalitarian
power, suppressing any opposing parties
often through violence and propaganda, and
maintaining control over social behavior, the
economy and the press.

Helllllo leftists and dominant media!

(Never mind this is not the definition of fascism.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:

Hispanics never owned slaves

Ummm... Puerto Rico had plenty of African slaves and abolished slavery AFTER it was abolished in the US. When it was abolished the slaves still had to buy their own freedom.

Posts: 798 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hildur:
quote:

Ummm... Puerto Rico had plenty of African slaves and abolished slavery AFTER it was abolished in the US. When it was abolished the slaves still had to buy their own freedom.

Let’s not forget what the Spanish did to the Aztecs et al. They get little blow back because there’s no one left of those cultures to pick the scab. The Spanish enslaved, looted and massacred entire cultures and civilizations and it was all State sanctioned.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29699 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:

Is this one of those, “It depends on how you define …” things? Confused

The etymology of “Hispanic” clearly goes back to Spain (notice the similarity of the two words?) and the Iberian peninsula as a whole (thereby including Portugal). Not only were black African slaves imported to areas that were originally colonized and controlled by Spanish and Portuguese immigrants, indigenous peoples of central and south America were enslaved by any rational sense of the word by those same Hispanic immigrants.

There were differences between the slave-holding cultures and practices of the immigrants from Iberia and the British colonies, but that didn’t make what was common in the southern Americas any less slavery.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Globally, there are far more slaves today than there were in 1860.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
Globally, there are far more slaves today than there were in 1860.

Too many would rather focus on the things perpetrated by those long dead, than think about the crimes being committed currently. Easier, I guess.

Posts: 367 | Location: Southwest Missouri  | Registered: April 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Slavery in Scotland:

Slavery in 20217:

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post

Feel free to print a stack and take them with you everywhere.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
^^^ Love it!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
I will be interesting to hear Dan Cathy's reaction to this "guide". He can put a sizable dent into the Salvation Army's hope chest.

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2274 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redleg2/9:
I will be interesting to hear Dan Cathy's reaction to this "guide". He can put a sizable dent into the Salvation Army's hope chest.

Oh, he would have no problems with TSA's wokeness, I bet.

https://heavy.com/news/2020/06...-cathy-shoe-shining/

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And who the heck is Central Nova News?

This entire thing smells like a troll just to get everyone riles up.

The most effective safety is between your ears

Posts: 234 | Location: Eastern Nebraska | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
I'm not going to read all 7 pages of replies, I have better things to do with my time…<SNIP>

I believe you owe those who took the time to follow this thread and post, an apology. You’ve been here 12+ years and your opening salvo is that you have better things to do with your time than catch up to the conversation a bit before posting why we are all wrong?

That opening line may be one of the most disrespectful things I’ve read on this forum. Sadly for you, by not reading any of the posts, you fell into a classic conspiracy spreader trap, “Prove me wrong” vs. “I’ll prove to you it is a conspiracy”.

Hell, I posted a pretty well written article by Newsweek on page 4 of this thread where they publish quotes from senior leadership at Salvation Army.

Thanks to 12131 for taking the time to point that out to you as well.

Jesus dude, read the room.

But you obviously have better things to do with your time I spose.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post