SIGforum
How to Say You're Old, Without Saying You're Old
September 12, 2026, 03:17 AM
tleddyHow to Say You're Old, Without Saying You're Old
Winding up the 78rpm phonograph and replacing the steel needle with bamboo for HiFi… going to the wooden box phone on the wall, cranking for the operator! Asking for 3-digit number; operator telling you that Mary was over at Mabel’s… want to ring there?
I was 2 months old when the attack on Pearl Harbor happened!
Anyone here over 85?
No quarter
.308/.223
September 12, 2026, 06:16 AM
SW_SigWe said the Pledge of Allegiance and a prayer every morning in public school before class began.
September 12, 2026, 07:23 AM
SIGfourmeOutdoor fun:
Marbles, Jacks, Kick the Can, Dirtballs --nothing electronic
September 12, 2026, 08:42 AM
joel9507Knowing what a party line was, and how it was used
Remembering the nearby McDonalds with a neon sign proclaiming "1,000,000 sold"
Holding left hand to the ear, drawing circles in the air with index finger of the right, to silently say, "Call me"
Having to learn what Zip Code was assigned to your town when they came out
Enjoying (and surviving) backyard Jarts competitions
Playing with the neighborhood kids for hours with no adults in sight
Cars with pushbuttons on the dash to change gears
September 12, 2026, 08:47 AM
sigspecops67-69 Z28s had a 302 cid V8. SSCA Trans Am rules didn’t allow more than 305 cubic inch’s. So the 302 was Chevys solution.
No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain
September 12, 2026, 08:49 AM
ss9961My cars in the shop for a new clutch
September 12, 2026, 08:51 AM
V-Tailquote:
Originally posted by tleddy:
Anyone here over 85?
89 here, four months short of 90.
הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים September 12, 2026, 08:54 AM
V-Tailquote:
Originally posted by SW_Sig:
We said the Pledge of Allegiance and a prayer every morning in public school before class began.
Who remembers when the Pledge was changed?
הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים September 12, 2026, 09:57 AM
PHPaulquote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Who remembers when the Pledge was changed?
I had to check to be sure, but I remembered correctly.
Being 4 years old, I wasn't aware at the time, but learned of it later.
Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.
September 12, 2026, 10:19 AM
darthfusterMemorized phone numbers. At any one time I could repeat at least 7 phone numbers. Still know my childhood home phone number. 790-7606.
You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier September 12, 2026, 10:20 AM
2000Z-71I shoot a 1911.
My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball. September 12, 2026, 10:36 AM
k5blazerSpent a lot of nights irrigating the fields listening to KOMA. Local stations didn't play rock so once the sun went down we could tune in to KOMA.
September 12, 2026, 10:38 AM
sig sailorWhen I was young there was no TV, at least not in the UP of Michigan. I also said that if a pack of smokes ever went to 50 cents I was going to quit.
Rod
"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author
I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.
September 12, 2026, 11:12 AM
clipper1quote:
quote:
Originally posted by tleddy:
Anyone here over 85?
86 here, for 5 more months
September 12, 2026, 04:46 PM
motor59I was at a 9/11 memorial event last night, and struck up a conversation with a couple patrol guys from my old agency.
Was telling them about the all hands callout we had, loading up transport vans and heading to Weehawken to board the passenger ferry to Manhattan, only to be turned around and marshalled at the NJ Meadowlands, waiting for the call for help that never came...
One of them said, "yeah, I was born a month after that."

Thanks, junior.
suaviter in modo, fortiter in re
September 12, 2026, 06:42 PM
cth1974My birth year is in my user name, so I’m not nearly as old as some of y’all. However:
We used to argue over the privilege of riding on the package tray in the rear window of the family sedan.
We also had a party line well into my teen years. We also had a snoopy neighbor across the road who regularly gave themselves away with an occasional heavy breath.
I just had a discussion with a (much) younger friend who is a carpenter. He couldn’t believe that we used to drive all of our fasteners by hand when I was (much) younger and working the same job. His eyes got big and he shook his head when I told him we still had to make some of the cuts with a hand saw.
September 12, 2026, 07:52 PM
Larry_KI visited Graceland when Elvis was still alive.
*I was just a little kid but I do remember it.
________________________
September 12, 2026, 11:18 PM
reflex/deflex 64I’ve driven and tuned dual point distributor cars and motorcycles. I carried a Monkeys lunchbox to school it had a glass vacuum bottle for my milk. The Amazing Mr. Limpet was the new release at the theater. Had a slick on my bicycle. 4 of us kids would ride in the back of a truck to go buck bales.
----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------
September 12, 2026, 11:55 PM
bald1Back in my day we could watch coal being delivered for basement furnaces, carts hauling block ice fir residential delivery, and milk in glass bottles with cream floating on top delivrted to the front door.
Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192
September 13, 2026, 02:15 AM
SpeedbirdCadence in Army Basic Training was mostly about killing commies and a stuff that would definitely have you standing in front of HR these days.
Oh, and we drank water out of a lister bag