SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Route 91 fest Vegas shooting?
Page 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ... 87

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Route 91 fest Vegas shooting? Login/Join 
Picture of drew3630
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Yep - note taken. I definitely will not stay in a hotel with this policy. I don't want maids rummaging around in my room - ever. I always put up the 'Do Not Disturb' sign and leave it for the duration of my stay. I will exchange towels as needed, otherwise I do not want people in my room.

My policy as well.

Yup. That sign goes up the second I walk into the room.

My policy as well. But what's to prevent hotel staff entering your room anyway?

Posts: 245 | Location: Northern California | Registered: June 30, 2017Report This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:
I think that I have a theory that has been completely overlooked. What if Paddock (and possible accomplices) really wanted to kill only one particular person, but killed and wounded all the others too as a cover? The authorities are so overwhelmed that they can't even conceive of such a motive. It's a brilliant yet simple plan. Now, if we can only figure out who the real intended victim is we'll be well on our way to solving this mystery...
Look at the first post on this page.

I meant it as tongue and cheek - just poking fun of some of the conspiracy theories. Also, I admit to robbing the theme from Jack Reacher....so I can't even claim my own ridiculous conspiracy. Frown

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Report This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Not to minimize the impact of this awful event, but this last weekend, over 3 times as many people perished in car accidents in the USA, as perished in this shooting.

My point is that this type of event is, luckily, very rare, and there are other threats to life that are much more common, and to some extent more preventable if people would put emphasis into such prevention.

In conversations with others, it seems like the popular thing now is to "see what can be done" about crazy snipers by means of laws/policy, or things like "see something, say something" etc. In reality, anything that can be done to make your drive safer is likely a better bet in terms of saving your life.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
Not to minimize the impact of this awful event, but this last weekend, over 3 times as many people perished in car accidents in the USA, as perished in this shooting.

My point is that this type of event is, luckily, very rare, and there are other threats to life that are much more common, and to some extent more preventable if people would put emphasis into such prevention.

Yes but...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Listening to FoxNews just now, it's apparent that the police know nothing new. Host is talking about how the guy wore sweats and flip flops a lot. They're talking about his slip-and-fall accident. Roll Eyes

Mark my word- they have found out everything they're going to find out about this guy.

Posts: 107607 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I wish I had predicted this earlier, I've felt the same way almost from the beginning. As others have noted, evil doesn't need an excuse to exist.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8685 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Report This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Listening to FoxNews just now, it's apparent that the police know nothing new. Host is talking about how the guy wore sweats and flip flops a lot. They're talking about his slip-and-fall accident. Roll Eyes

Mark my word- they have found out everything they're going to find out about this guy.

My feeling is the slip-and-fall issue is the reason behind his actions.

A person of reasonable intelligence with a lot money loses a simple case he has convinced himself the other party was responsible for and wanted to cost the hotel as much revenue as possible.

The hotel will probably never rent out that room again. There's loss of revenue.

The potential, and likely, lawsuits against the hotel - more revenue lost.

Next year for the festival - who's paying for security and will the hotel rent out any of the rooms on that side of the building? More lost revenue.

Again, just my opinion, the guy wanted to cost Mandalay Bay as much money as possible. No other motive and possibly not even a death wish.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Report This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:

The media will not rest until they can provide some "closure on this to an injured nation"

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37965 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Report This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

A person of reasonable intelligence with a lot money loses a simple case he has convinced himself the other party was responsible for and wanted to cost the hotel as much revenue as possible.

The hotel will probably never rent out that room again. There loss of revenue.

Next year for the festival - who's paying for security and will the hotel rent out any of the rooms on that side of the building? More lost revenue.

Again, just my opinion, the guy wanted to cost Mandalay Bay as much money as possible. No other motive and possibly not even a death wish.

Can't tell if you're making a joke here, but the slip 'n fall lawsuit was against the Cosmopolitan Hotel, not the Mandalay Bay Hotel.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:

The hotel will probably never rent out that room again. There's loss of revenue.

Check your facts, please. Wrong hotel.

No reason will ever be found, because there was no reason.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I just have to say that you're really stretching. There's zero evidence that your scenario is true, makes sense or is even remotely true. In our quest to explain what might turn out to be unexplainable in terms of pure cause and effect, people start to make up stuff to give them comfort and undertanding of things so they can compartmentalize and address them.

It's OK for this to be nothing but the actions of a closet evil mad man and that may be all the answers any of us get.

Posts: 4079 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
People will continue to make guesses and will continue to be wrong. There's only one person who knows why this guy did what he did, and he's dead.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
It's only really mattered to me to know whether or not he was (or was influenced by) an Islamic terrorist (and thus we were attacked by outside forces by proxy), or he was a domestic terrorist with some particular political bent (and thus it would have been more evidence of growing domestic political divisions, etc), or he was just a murderous weirdo of any other variety, and the latter seems more true each day despite my earlier thinking.

Crazy and wrong in all three cases. Fewer broad implications in the latter/now likely case.

ammoholic
Picture of drtenb330
posted Hide Post
It happened. Families are grieving, dealing with terrible life altering injuries, healing with minor injuries, and some (un)lucky ones trying to handle the psychological damage.

Evil just is. There are enough ER Docs, Medics, LEOs, & Nurses here that see the same. Shootings, Knifings, beatings - its pure asocial violence, no reason, just because. See it enough, you harden into a cynic.

There is no nuanced "why". Same through history, both big events (Inquisition/Crusades/Slave trade/Holocaust), and everyday violence. You can't control it. Many need to find an answer, otherwise they can't prepare or handle the violence when it happens.

Posts: 1632 | Location: Miami Beach, Florida | Registered: December 26, 2012Report This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
I just heard on the radio over lunch that a relative of one of the deceased is "considering suing the country music venue..." But they didn't say why or anything.

What the fuck could the venue possibly be at fault for?

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9160 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Report This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
I just heard on the radio over lunch that a relative of one of the deceased is "considering suing the country music venue..." But they didn't say why or anything.

What the fuck could the venue possibly be at fault for?

Ambulance chaser lawyers. Next they will go after bullet makers, and even those who supplied the hammer that broke the hotel windows.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Report This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Sean Spicier @sean_spicier

The inability to find a motive sounds strange until you remember they can’t even find a motive when the attacker’s yelling Allahu Akbar

8:19 PM - Oct 6, 2017

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Thanks for muddying the waters even further, Sean, by implying that there's a coverup.

That's what he just did- he implied that there's a coverup.

Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for muddying the waters even further, Sean, buy implying that there's a coverup.

That's what he just did- he implied that there's a coverup.

The good news is government sucks at covering up issues they don't want to have see the light of day.

So if there was, we'll hear of it one day.

But I'm with Para. The is nothing to cover up because the simple answer theorem applies. That theorem says the simplest answer is usually the correct one. In this case Massmurderertwatwaffle just wanted to kill people. Like every serial killer, when you strip away the bullahit you find a person with an overwhelming desire to murder.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31444 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Report This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
People will not let it die, will they? I pop in every once in a while it's mind boggling. I've seen all the random facebook conspiracy posts already. There were up to 7 shooters, blah, blah, blah.

Use common sense.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Report This Post